I hate tipping!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

As fast as the staff can get round them, its the owner of the establishments duty to make sure theres enough staff.

edit on b27271208 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

InvisibleOwl
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Nope, I got annoyed at her obvious attempts at fishing for a good tip, then I got pissed when she stopped doing her job because she realized we were done purchasing (and we were going to give her a standard tip). Once she elected to stop doing her job (for which anyone else would be fired), that is when she lost her tip (though my brother is nicer than I am and did not feel right leaving nothing at all.
Thats exactly what I said.

You said it yourself. You base tipping on service. She checked in with you PLENTY, and you got annoyed. She realized you were done ordering (and, more than likely, that you were annoyed) and stopped checking in with you.

She hit both ends of the spectrum, and neither satisfied you.

Like I said, there is no satisfying someone like you.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

How often should our server come to our table?

I like the way they do this in Korea. At restaurants there's a button on the table to summon wait staff. In most of the classier bars, there's a dim lamp you switch on for service.

I'm a 'regular' at almost any place you'll find me. The staff figure me out PDQ. It's funny when I bring a guest with me and the waitress doesn't even ask what beverage I'm having.

I had a run-in with a waitress where I frequently eat lunch. In all fairness she was having a bad day, but she made a serious mistake making me part of it. I spoke to the manager and refused her from serving my table for almost 3 years. This particular restaurant has an incredibly low turn-over of staff. Funniest situation you could imagine and I let it play itself out for the benefit of everyone.

Expectation management is crucial in the food services industry. There's a role for the staff and a role for the customer. If you know the part your playing, and make an effort to excel, you're experience can be dramatically changed. Nothing gets closer to real life.

This has been a great thread!!

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
sorry, hit the quote button instead of edit button.
edit on 8Wed, 26 Mar 2014 20:21:52 -0500America/Chicago14America/ChicagoWed, 26 Mar 2014 20:21:52 -0500 by greyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

greyer
I tip for bars and restaurants, but I hate tipping at pizza places and deli's when you go there and get take out, they still expect a tip for doing absolutely nothing but ring up the register.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

greyer
I tip for bars and restaurants, but I hate tipping at pizza places and deli's when you go there and eat there, they still expect a tip for doing absolutely nothing.

When I go to a pick-up pizza or deli place, if there is a common tip jar on the counter. I always toss my change coins or a $1.00 bill into the jar. those kids split the tips at the end of the week. They deserve it.

JMOHO...

Des

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

You don't tip the people at any fast food joints, and they work about as hard as waiters and waitresses do. It's about as demeaning a job. They get paid minimum.

This garbage about how it'll bankrupt restaurants or drive up costs is just blather, trying to distract people from their own best interests.

It'd be better if they were paid enough to do their job well. A CEO is paid millions of dollars a year and doesn't deserve it. Why should I, a common plebeian, donate my hard earned money to cover some lousy and cheap franchise owner's profit margins? If he's too cheap to pay his workers minimum wage, that's survival of the fittest, economically. The workers will find jobs that pay better anyway. I have no sympathy for the business owners who profit off of the wage slavery of the average worker, waiters included. Just pay them a decent wage. It's not my job to pay what an employer owes the employee.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

She did not check in on us. We were eating our food with full drinks. She could have simply looked and kept walking. Nope, she gave us a fake smile and "how is everything?" 10 times. We said "fine" or "great" 9 times ... did she think it was gonna be different the 10th time?

As far as "the other end of the spectrum," no she actually just stopped doing her job. Guess what happens if you or I stop doing our job? That's right, we get fired! She keeps her job and expects more money ... how does that make sense?

ETA: every other time we have gone to that bar, the waitress comes 2-3 times while we eat, again to take our plates, and a couple more times to ask if we want refills (when she sees our glasses are empty). Hopefully this girl will learn how to do her job properly.
edit on 27-3-2014 by InvisibleOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rangerdanger

Plenty of jobs are hard; should everyone get tips? Why should we tip servers when they screw up? At my first job in a machine shop I got minimum wage. One day I screwed up and damaged a part worth thousands of dollars. My boss did not pay me extra ... he fired me. As he should have. Why are servers special?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The tipping thing goes beyond servers ... why do cab drivers expect tips? They pull up to the curb, I get in, they drive me to my destination, I pay them. Why the hell do they deserve extra for doing their job?

Why should I pay my hairdresser a tip on top of the $40 she charges me for my haircut? It is her JOB!

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleOwl

She did not check in on us. We were eating our food with full drinks. She could have simply looked and kept walking. Nope, she gave us a fake smile and "how is everything?" 10 times. We said "fine" or "great" 9 times ... did she think it was gonna be different the 10th time? As far as "the other end of the spectrum," no she actually just stopped doing her job. Guess what happens if you or I stop doing our job? That's right, we get fired! She keeps her job and expects more money ... how does that make sense?
all you are doing is proving my point (and contradicting yourself). She continuously checked to make sure everything was to you satisfaction. You got annoyed. She stopped. You go more annoyed.

Again, you are the worst kind of customer.

ETA: every other time we have gone to that bar, the waitress comes 2-3 times while we eat, again to take our plates, and a couple more times to ask if we want refills (when she sees our glasses are empty). Hopefully this girl will learn how to do her job properly.
You dont want her to do her job properly, you want her to do it exactly as you like it.

Worst. Kind. Of. Customer.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Have you ever worked for tips?

You should try it for 6 months and see that if for other reason, tips are deserved for putting up with the jackasses that make up a large portion of the general public.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

InvisibleOwl
The tipping thing goes beyond servers ... why do cab drivers expect tips? They pull up to the curb, I get in, they drive me to my destination, I pay them. Why the hell do they deserve extra for doing their job?

Why should I pay my hairdresser a tip on top of the $40 she charges me for my haircut? It is her JOB!

How do you think hairdressers and cab drivers get paid?

It seems you truly have no clue.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by doubletap

Tip:
transitive verb
- to give a gratuity to

intransitive verb
- to bestow a gratuity

Gratuity:
- a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.

- something given without claim or demand.

The above are actual definitions of the term.

Today's new definition...
- Misconstrued as mandatory charge regardless the quality of the service...

Pardon my french, but ...Nuff Said

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

I don't advocate tipping when service was truly horrendous, but certain people nitpick everything in order to justify not leaving a tip. People who have never worked for tips have no idea how much douchebaggery servers and bartenders put up with on a daily basis.

By no means will it be each and every one but ...

Blacks
Tables full of women
Sunday church crowds

Those 3 will make life a living hell and leave little if any tip at all.

Spend enough time in the industry and you can gauge with near 100% accuracy who those people will be before they even open their menus.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Sremmos80

benrl
You understand that by holding a table with out further ordering, in the waitress area, You essentially killed her opportunity to earn that night from it.

Essentially hurting someone that probably gets paid less than minimum an hour (because she gets tips). Hate tipping all you want, but frankly that was just as rude as her constantly coming to your table "bothering" you with her service.

Just because you don't like the system, doesn't mean its going to change.

Then she needs to be made at the restaurant, they charged a cover. I bet the waitress get a chunk of that $$ brought in by the cover.

They paid a cover, they were welcome to stay at their seat as long as they wanted, that is what the cover pays for...

A waitress makes money by "turning" tables. They have an interest in getting you served, and getting you out. Because their pay is tied to the tips (by federal law, even in Canada), they develop budgets and plans based on an expectation. If you sit at their table through an extra turn, maybe 2, then you impact their earning potential quite a bit.

She started by providing you solid service. You called it harrassment, and I get that. But she saw it as attentive, and in a normal situation you likely would have as well. THen you just stopped consuming, choosing to camp instead. No cash being spent, a $50 ticket, and that is all that table produced that night.

The cover charge is not shared among the staff. That is what the owner is charging to guarantee that the entertainment costs are covered. UFC isn't broadcast over UHF, afterall.

ETA: it bears mentioning that businesses that air sporting events are charged more than you would be charged at home. Just to play music in my business I have to pay annual license fee's to SESAC and ASCAP. And a cable bill that is larger by magnitudes of 400% or more than my home service.
edit on 4/1/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Just to further your point, many ppv events charge based upon how many seats the establishment has. I have heard of ufc fights costing bars $3500 to show it, so the cover goes to cover that cost, and it most certainly isn't divided up among the serving staff.

Its hilarious how people who have never worked for tips think they have all the answers in the ultra competitive and low profit margin food and beverage industry.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

doubletap
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Just to further your point, many ppv events charge based upon how many seats the establishment has. I have heard of ufc fights costing bars $3500 to show it, so the cover goes to cover that cost, and it most certainly isn't divided up among the serving staff.

Its hilarious how people who have never worked for tips think they have all the answers in the ultra competitive and low profit margin food and beverage industry.

That's the problem. You goto work at a job where you rely on tips alone. You shouldn't! People dine out to relax, talk and enjoy the atmosphere of the place they are dining, while you're there trying to kick them out so you can pull someone else in for the sake of tips.

...and "low profit margin food" my ass. I can eat far cheaper at home cooking the same meal. When I buy that meal, I'm paying the establishment, the cook and half of your wages. If you want a garanteed pay, then fight the companies to make them pay you a fair wage. I AM NOT obligated to pay your hourly wage or give you anything in any way to assure that you get a fair pay. That is NOT what a tip is! A tip if for those that go ABOVE and BEYOND. It's a reward for better than the service that you are ALREADY required to perform. Waiters and Waitresses act like the damned government - always feeling it's intitled to my money. The only difference is.. I HAVE to pay them for crappy service.

Furthermore, you don't have to disturb a table 20 times. That tells the person at the table that you're trying to get rid of them. Leave them alone! If they need you, just be within reach. Don't you know you're not supposed to disturb someone while they're talking? If a patron needs you, he will make sure you see him.

Fill their glass, but shut the hell up. We don't want to stop mid sentence to talk to you then forget what the hell we were talking about in the first place. If the glass is empty, or half empty, fill it up, but don't ask me... Just do it. Asking me 20 times if everthing is ok just pisses me off. That's like having a chinese lady stand behind me while I'm getting food off the buffet for the first time, watching every damn thing I put in my plate.

When my glass is empty, since waiters are so good, why do I have to slurp the bottom of my glass with my straw if they're so great at what they do? They'll hit me up when my glass is 3/4 full but when it's empty, I have to make a sound that the whole resturant hears just to get noticed.

I'm sorry.. I don't support tipping just because you want it or need it. If you need it... work at micky d's. If you want it... then go above and beyond and don't expect it. It's not yours until you earn it. I don't give a bloody damn how little you make per hour. That's not my fault. That fault lies on the establishment for being a crappy employeer and you for taking the job relying on something you haven't even done yet.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

Um, i run FNB establishments. "Low profit margin" is very accurate for dine in. Matter of fact, if it weren't for beverages, many "fine dining" places wouldn't be able to operate month to month. On a typical business you can expect about a 25%-30% gross profit margin. In FNB, its more like 12%-20%. Basically, if your freezer gets too warm and you have a brand new ribeye roast in the walk in, you operate at a loss for the month.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

benrl

You know, lets step away from the tip issue in general.

IF something is a cultural thing in a place, and is consider polite to do, than you should as a cutesy in general try to follow societal and cultural norms.

The next part, Is something I always like to consider, simply because I know we live in the real world.

I do not mess with the people who serve my food, I am not rude to them, Thats not to say, if there is a problem I will complain, Politely.

Why, Because people who have to serve people all day, have a damn hard job, and I don't want to incentive them messing with my meal in anyway, just to be "difficult"

Smart man, dont eat the clam chowder.

new topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join