I hate tipping!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

khnum
reply to post by Destinyone

You were lucky for every upscale bar theres 100 Denny's or Dunkin Donuts where there aren't $250.00 in tips available and where these miserable employers complain they couldn't survive if they paid a respectable wage,its a head screw supporting tipping is like supporting corporate welfare as I said before we have a fair minimum wage and the economy hasn't collapsed

What country do you live in. Is everyday living subsidized by your government for average workers? As it is in so many other countries.

Just curious...

Des

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
If only all bars/pubs were like this!

source

Add one more name to the city’s growing list of brewpubs. Librarian Bill Perry will open a brewpub called The Public Option at 1601 Rhode Island Ave. NE by late summer or early fall.

This brewpub, however, will be a little different from other brewpubs and restaurants around town: The waitstaff won’t accept tips. Instead, Perry says he plans to pay a “living wage” of at least $15 an hour. If anyone leaves money on the table, the staff will decide on a charity to donate it to, either weekly or monthly. The Public Option will have notes on the tables and on its website explaining its policy.

This is how it should be, imo. While a lot of people in the service industry rely on tips, many of them won't admit just how much money they earn from them. I had a friend who used to waitress at a local sports bar that was fairly popular, and she would often earn $150-$300 a night on tips alone (on top of her wage). That is much more money than most working people make in a day. I'm all for tipping if I receive great service, but I never feel obligated to do so.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
It would help a great deal in my opinion, if companies were limited to buy X other companies firstly. Too many are being snapped up and disolved, its obvious cheatiing, reducing jobs in the same fields often as the buying company. But thats okay because the share holders are filthy rich and they dont even work there.

Secondly only be allowed to reinvest a certain percentage every year and the excess being split by the workers in bonuses. Not everyone getting the same maybe, but biased of a sliding percentage.

Lets be perfectly honest about it, theres PLENTY of money going around and the only ones that get any of it are the top few %.

Be honest capitalists, its just greedy and the lowest paid workers are paying for it.

You wonder why there is a minimize wage? Because if there wasn't, the top suits would keep even more.

Oh if anyone did go for such drastic changed and forced all companies to do it, your get MAJOR customer boosts because people would have more money to buy your damned Kentucky fried poison!!!!

edit on b4242730 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I live in Australia for unskilled labour the hourly minimum rates are as follows
16 years old $7.74
17 years old $9.46
18 years old $11.18

The adult minimum wage is $16.37 per hour

One Australian dollar is about 92 US cents,our cost of living is comparable.

Yes we do tip for outstanding service but generally there is no tipping because people aren't going to starve if you dont.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Sremmos80
reply to post by jhn7537

Did you share your tips with bar backs and dishwashers?

Funny you asked that. When I washed dishes, it was for salary. I refused to take a cut of the wait staff's tips. The cooks were in the same boat as me, but they always had their grubby paws out. The management (chef included) respected my position ... and they were directly responsible for getting me my next job. Funny how a moral compass points one in the direction of a better path.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I wrote a lovely long post on the other thread and it must of been closed in the middle of my typing.
So I will keep this one short and sweet.

Mandatory tipping promotes sub-par service. Servers and others should be paid a decent wage and tips should be for excellent service. I don't want to feel forced to tip for poor quality or even average service.

I feel bad for people who depend on tips for survival, but if I got awful service why should I be forced to pay even more, when I wasn't happy with the service I received?
Also, if I don't tip, I am probably not going back to your establishment anyways.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I tip everybody, providing they are polite, friendly, and are making an effort to make me happy.

If they are not doing the above, they don't get tipped.

If somebody is doing all the above and doesn't get tipped? I consider you as a tight ass, and you should hypothetically put yourselves in the servers shoes for a minute.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I have worked customer service for most of my adult life, and consider myself a connoisseur on the subject. I eat out at least twice a week, and in the overwhelming majority of instances am completely satisfied with the performance of my server. I cannot honestly recall the last time I tipped below 20%.

Having worked customer service, I also know the majority of customer complaints are either from childish narcissists with unrealistic expectations of how the world works and what it owes them, or deeply unhappy people abusing the power disparity between them and the employee, by taking out their aggressions on them, knowing the poor employees cannot respond in kind.

So, to all the people on this thread who act like they get nothing but bad service at restaurants, take a long hard look at yourselves first

Restaurant servers are like most everyone else: trying to get through their day at a job they didn't dream about having when they were in grade school. They're also also entitled to the same courtesy and respect as everyone else. They didn't lose that right the instant they clocked in. Your relationship to them as customer/server is secondary to your relationship as fellow human beings. You expect good service from them and they expect a tip in return. That's the unwritten contract. If you don't like those terms, buy a cookbook, or hit up a drive thru. Whatever reason you have for not tipping is just a grandiose rationalization for being cheap. Worse than that, it is fraud. What is someone like you even doing in a restaurant when there are so many baby seals that need clubbing?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

InvisibleOwl

Did you read the OP? She was fishing for tips and more money for the bar (I don't blame her for the latter), and then she completely ignored us while taking payment from everyone around us. She did very little actual work for us. We could have walked out and I'm sure she would not have noticed. Why reward incompetence?

Let me get this straight...you don't blame her for "fishing" for more money for a bar that she doesn't own and most likely does not share in the profits of and you are begrudging her for "fishing" for tips that she likely survives on, shares with co-workers, and (at least in the US) is taxed on? Not only that but you think that she is compensated for the fact that you are camping at a table she could otherwise be making real tips off of but the cover you paid which she will never see a dime of!

Bars do not split ANY of the money from cover charges with waitstaff. If anything, it goes to pay the band or to COVER the cost of some other entertainment. Hence, COVER CHARGE. If not for cover charges, many bars could not afford to provide entertainment. You pay the bar for providing your entertainment, and your server for the 15 to 20 trips she made to your table

The server came to our table probably 15-20 times in the first couple hours (seriously ... it was damn annoying).
when she was annoyingly trying to provide good service to you until you made it abundantly clear that you no longer wanted her to bother you and you were finished with the services she had to offer but you still wanted to inhabit her section and limit her ability to make any other tips from that table.

"She seemed to finally catch on that we were basically done with an hour to go and we were simply there to watch the event by that point
At this point she left you alone until you "demanded " your check. If I were you I would have assumed that since I made it clear I didn't want to be bothered by her, I should probably be the one to let her know when I was ready for the bill. Unempathetic, selfish people like you are the reason I occasionally hate my job. Fortunately, you are a breed that is few and far between, and people like Snarl make up for the jerks 10 fold! Not just because they tip well, I have happily waited on many people who didn't have enough money to leave a good tip, but because they were kind and treated me like a human not someones slave. As a server I owe you professional and prompt service I do not OWE you a smile or anything else. I am a server because I enjoy interacting with lots of different people, and finding a way to make their day a little brighter. If you want service with a smile and enjoy getting waited on by someone besides yourself, show some appreciation when you get it. WE ARE NOT YOUR PERSONAL WENCHES!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by GrassyTroll

Unfortunately, the truth is bad service is becoming far more common than it was even just a few years ago. I am not talking just in restaurants. Bad service stories used to be rare and turned into a story you would tell your friends. Now it is everywhere. Go into many stores, be it a home improvement store, clothing store or grocery store and try and find someone to help you. It can be difficult. I see this far more often in chain places than small family owned businesses. Small businesses are far more invested in customer service than larger chain stores and businesses.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Tipping only empowers business owners to pay their employees less than a livable wage. Every time you tip, you're basically footing the bill for a wage boost or health insurance cost that should have otherwise been covered by the business owner.

When you tip, that money out of your wallet/purse goes straight into the business owner's pocket. The business owner is directly saving the cost of business operations by shorting his staff on an essential livable wage, and thus you, the consumer, make up the difference for him/her.

If the staff only makes minimum wage, or even $5 bucks an hour and is entirely dependent upon tips for living, this means the business owner either 1.) is screwing everyone over for profit or 2.) is not profitable enough to keep his business running and should close.

Since we know that unprofitable businesses close rather quickly, you all should realize that when you're tipping in a busy / successful restaurant, the owner is in the green and should be passing his profits onto his staff via a livable wage, but instead he expands business, raises prices, hires more people, but rarely gives raises. Greed is good for the business owner. There's no money to be made by being generous. Let the customer be fooled into thinking that tipping is mandatory. It boosts the morale of his servers, who to be honest, do a tiny fraction of the work in the restaurant to begin with.

If anyone should be tipped, it should be the chefs. These people make the food you're eating. In a perfect world, the chefs get tipped, and the owner pays his wait staff appropriately.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

GrassyTroll
They're also also entitled to the same courtesy and respect as everyone else.

First this is copy from my other reply in another thread which was closed
"I think the tipping procedure is all wrong. Its basicly unfair to believe that servers can make their living by those without decent salary. They should raise the salaries so that all tipping scene/deception would be gone all together and all customers served equally and not by how much they tip.
Also i have to admit i like Gordon Ramsey´s kitchen nightmares.. thats where the deception is.. even the managers take % out of servers tips even they are not really " titled " to. And other staff receive nothing from those even their input is as important if not more ( dishwashers) .. system is twisted and it allows to take advantage of others."

Now that you mentioned respect.. This is also one of the reasons this whole scenery is messed up. They are basicly "begging" for their living and don´t get me wrong, what i mean is that the job as it is, isn´t as respectable and valued as other jobs.. aren´t they subjects of humiliation by the system ?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Living in the U.S. and knowing the wait staff are getting paid next to nothing is enough for me to tip at least something small for decent service.

I have worked in a high class, high volume kitchen in a few positions (never front of house). Our wait staff had to fulfill every request of our customers, because that was part of our image. Exceptional service, perfect plates. Every time. At our restaurant we pushed out 1400 main courses in a busy night, and that number doesn't include appetizers or kid's meals. No matter if they wanted a cut of beef substituted for their Mahi filet, if they wanted a special batch of calamari prepared without the peppers, or if they had a life threatening gluten allergy and wanted a rundown of every ingredient of every dish in the house, the staff had to accommodate their requests. All while making # for money.

Obviously a diner or bar/grill is going to be a different atmosphere, but the quality of service aspect should still be apparent in the operation.

As long as my server is somewhat polite, checks back with my table, makes sure any special requests (if any) are met...they are going to get a tip. I don't mess with percentages really. It's almost always a spur of the moment kind of thing.

I might not agree with their low wages and the thought that tipping is required, but I do understand the struggle that many (not all) working in the food service industry are going through, and just as in every aspect of life I like to let people know when I think they're doing a great job.

Putting a smile on someone's face has a lasting effect on both yourself and the smiler
edit on 3/25/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

Yeah, like I said my sister is a server and I have a friend who also worked as one. It does not change my feeling on it. It simply allows employers to pay less.

As much as I hate tipping, I do tip (and fairly well) for great service. But not for a server who is obviously fishing for tips and then ignores us when she realizes her plan failed.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Nope, I got annoyed at her obvious attempts at fishing for a good tip, then I got pissed when she stopped doing her job because she realized we were done purchasing (and we were going to give her a standard tip). Once she elected to stop doing her job (for which anyone else would be fired), that is when she lost her tip (though my brother is nicer than I am and did not feel right leaving nothing at all.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

Why should I have to tip someone who makes more money than I do? I'm paying for food in a resturaunt that I can make at home for a quarter of the price. I struggle to eat on my own and sometimes I like to spend some spare bucks for a resturaunt meal.

I believe paying 8 dollars say for a burrito and 3 dollars for a soda Is for the atmosphere and using their furniture. I can make the same burrito for about 2.50 and get just as much soda for 75 cents. I'm paying the business for all those amenities and I also believe the staff is one of them. They are doing what they were hired to do. They knew it was a dead end job that rarely gets any promotions.

So why should I pay someone extra for something that I expected to happen in the first place. I don't get tipped at my job for doing exceptional service because we have to live up to the company name and provide that exceptional service. And I'm making less than they are.

I never go to resturaunts because I think they are scams, with a highly inflated cost for food. So I never need to tip. But somedays I get dragged into it with friends and it's quite embarrassing to not get anything at all and sit there. So I buy something cheap to save myself from that embarrassment. I'm not going to pay more money that i don't have in the first place to someone just doing their job.

Would you call that selfish? Is it selfish to save the extra 5 dollars so I can eat for another day or two. Or does my health not come first,but I have the social obligation to give that up for courtesy?

That is survival not selfishness.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I shouldn't be forced to tip.

It goes both ways... I shouldn't have to tip to get good service.

example: Me and an old highschool friend met up this weekend in Houston. We ate at a decent resturant that claims to be Cajun (yeah.. umm.. first off... I would know the difference and this is nothing more than a chain claiming to be something they're not). I don't dress in a suite and tie. I don't wear top dollar shoes So anyone looking at me will have no idea if or how well I would tip.

I noticed our service was kinda crappy. When the guy came up to our table the 3 times in the whole 3 hours we sat there, I got the impression that he didn't want to serve us. I assumed (I was married to a waitress) that he just assumed that we wouldn't tip.

My bill was 150$ and still I gave him 35$. That's OVER 10$ per hour, plus the amount that he was already making.

Still, I HATE to tip, and since this post, I've decided that I will no longer tip. I've come to this conclusion because of this topic. I've decided that people rely too much on my tips and already offer me services based on my appearance and will serve based on what they have already learned. From here own out, I will see it this way... If you want to make min wage or better... Look for another job.

When I get gas, I would be pretty P.O.ed if the person behind the counter sold me my gas and expected me to pay them for taking my money. I don't care what a waitress has to do... It's part of the job. I have to go behind my hands at work and make sure they're doing their job and I have an hourly job. Big woop, that they have to keep walking up to tables and asking "is there anything I can do?". More often than not... NO! You just RUDELY interupted my conversation!

If prices have to go up on food because they pay their employees more, so be it. Don't tell me I can eat a big meal for $20 and expect me to pay your employees wages too. If you don't like it.. FIND ANOTHER JOB! It's your problem. Not the patron!

I've heard every argument and it doesn't make one bit of sense to me to make your customers pay for your own damn employees. I pay for enough already. To boot... Many waitessed only share with the bartender. I know this to be true. Just because your place does it, doesn't mean they all do. My little brother is a dishwasher. He gets less than min but there isn't a damn thing he can do about them not sharing their tips.

Another thing.. Cash tips.. You waitresses scam on them. How much don't you claim for taxes? I know for a fact, the 4 different waitress jobs my wife had did not watch over them to make sure their taxes were taken out of cash tips, only CC tips. So no one claimed them!

I don't know how many times I had to call a place up and ask why my CC was charged more than It should have when I picked up my own food and didn't stay to be served. I watch my CC bills like a hawk but some retards don't think that we do... so watch your statements or pay with cash.

Bottom line... If you want a fair wage, go work at McDonalds! I will no longer tip anyone for a service that they should already provide. It comes with the job!! If you want a real job, go get one. You don't always need a degree. There is no excuse on this planet that will prove to me that I should tip you for ANY service. You're supposed to take care of your customer by default.

If you expect more... Open VIP booths in your establishment and offer footrubs or backrubs. Your service should already come with the price of your meal.

If makes me SO mad that people just expect tips instead of work for them. It's not law. People just assume it's manditory and it's not.

edit on 26-3-2014 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Tipping is no longer a choice, its a rule.

Whether your server suck or not.

I seen good server happy with a 10% and bad server pissed off at 15%.

When are they going to get taxed on those?

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

There shouldnt be guess work involved, you do your job, you get your pay.

Weather you do it with a smile or not should really matter, does barrack get paid more for smiling and being extra nice? Does he get paid less when he messes things up? Nope one check.

Thats how it works in the uk, if you do a really good job sure you can get a bonus or a tip.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
On the topic... can any waitress/server here answer few questions please.

Assume party of 4 on a busy Friday night, a 2 hour stay.

*How often should our server come to our table?

*Upon request to refill drinks, our server should comply how fast?

I don't think its customers fault if the waitress is attending multiple tables, why should i give full tip to someone part-timing us.

Those two are my main watch list for tipping.

When i "host" a dinner, i don't want to here my friends/attendees ask "where is the server?" or if i hear the straw sucking the air often.

The attitude counts of course.

Oh please with the waitress and servers don't make enough... yeah right, it does depending on the place(but i see local server take care customers better(for what they get paid) then a server in a rich restaurant.. those act like we owe them things...if that is the case I should be tipping a kid working at McDonald like 10%.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join