I hate tipping!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleOwl

Wait, so you got annoyed because she was too attentive a server, then you got mad because she wasnt attentive enough, then you give a horrible tip because you didnt like the service?

You are the type of customer that every person in the service industry hates. There is no pleasing you.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I dislike the idea of tipping, that said, I do tip - but I manage it on my terms. Service, location, familiarity are big factors and maybe that changes based on the place and/or whether or not it's somewhere I frequent often.

Ulitmately, it is a catch-22 for both the workers and the customers, the system sets us all up for dis-satisfaction. Mostly, I go to a restaurant expecting to tip some % if I don't want to do that I tend not to go. I avoid tipping in most other cases, the random tip jar in every nook and cranny with the "whitty" slogans have a bit of an opposite effect on me.
edit on 25-3-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

You know, lets step away from the tip issue in general.

IF something is a cultural thing in a place, and is consider polite to do, than you should as a cutesy in general try to follow societal and cultural norms.

The next part, Is something I always like to consider, simply because I know we live in the real world.

I do not mess with the people who serve my food, I am not rude to them, Thats not to say, if there is a problem I will complain, Politely.

Why, Because people who have to serve people all day, have a damn hard job, and I don't want to incentive them messing with my meal in anyway, just to be "difficult"

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Honestly, Im willing to bet that all of you who are too cheap to tip have never worked as a server at a restaurant.
You can say minimum wage this, or minimum wage that, but until you've been a server you have no idea what that job is like.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by rangerdanger

If its hard work + hard to smile all day, then shouldnt they already be paid more?

Its like fast food places, they get squat, work hard (esp the guys in the back) and tips are not expected (but appreciated of course). Yet only the server would get the tip. So backwards.

So strange that harder works doesnt always mean a good pay for it. Sure its easy, but you are exhausted all day, its not like, say being a porter.
edit on b2121444 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by rangerdanger

I worked as a dishwasher.... saw plenty of what a waitress does and doesn't do
And of course never saw a dime from the tips...
Also have worked plenty retail jobs that is just as bad as being a server, and with NO tips, not even a chance of a tip
Everyone works just as hard as servers and most don't even have the option of taking a tip
edit on thTue, 25 Mar 2014 16:28:48 -0500America/Chicago320144880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I'm with you 100%. Minimum wage is over $9/hr where I am, but I honestly wouldn't have a different opinion if it was less. If servers were paid $2/hr and the social norm was to only tip those who go above and beyond their duties, should I feel bad? No because everyone knows how much money they will make before accepting employment. At $2/hr, why not go work at the convenience store for $4/hr? Wages follow the same supply and demand that every other service does. If people only tipped for exceptional service, wait staff would get paid more.

When it is up to the employer, all wait staff get paid the same. Tipping is a way to incentivize. If everyone is expected to receive the same tips, it has no meaning (or purpose).

I've done my share of work in customer service, but not a field where tipping is expected. If it were, I KNOW which customers I would have deserved a tip from and those I wouldn't.

Even under the current social expectation of tipping, if you are a server who gets a bad tip, you should take it as helpful criticism and move on.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I tip based on service. Most people start with 20% and it's up to them to go up or down from there. If they suck at their job and/or just don't want to do a good job well it goes down each time they don't do something they should have done. Like not coming to check on my table. On the other hand if they go out of their way to make me feel special like comping drinks or special attention to my order ,as I like to make some weird changes to most menu items, they get better than the starting 20%.

I have found that method best in not only ensuring you don't over pay for crap service, but it more often than not gets me awesome service and all the places I regularly go love me and go out of their way to never see me with an empty drink

ETA: I also tip cooks who do a particularly good job. Usually surprises the hell outta them and pisses off wait staff because they already have to share out tips to cooks and such. I don't care though because with all the crap food out there it's rare to find ones that stand out at regular pubs and stuff and again it allows me little favors and courtesies from them…like bigger portions and free add on's
edit on 25-3-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I can understand your frustration. Restaurants should start paying their waitresses and waiters a reasonable hourly wage. A tip should be at the discretion of the customer and not expected. Too many service jobs are starting to expect tips, when their work should be compensated by their employer. To carry a $50.00 dollar lobster dinner to patron "A", takes no more effort than delivering a 20.00 pasta dinner to patron "B". So why should customer "A" be expected to give a bigger tip on the more expensive dinner?

Dining out today, is like have an invisible person joining you at your table. Your tip ends up being the cost of another dinner! Tipping a door man or someone carrying your bags to your hotel room, is nothing different than a Home Depot guy loading your truck with purchases. That's what they're hired to do. It's their job duty like any other job.

Some will say if you don't tip your waitress or waiter, they'll be nasty or give you bad service. That doesn't hold water. There's a thing called professionalism and ethics in the work place. When anyone is hired, they're expected to treat the customer with respect and to do their job according to their job description. If they can't be friendly or treat customers with respect, they're not being professional and they should lose their job.

There are people who work in department stores who are expected to "help" customers find what they need. Some go out of their way, yet they're not being tipped for being helpful. The food industry needs to start paying their people what their worth.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I can see both sides if the coin on this one.
In the US servers get a low hourly wage. Now the tips are in addition to raise the hourly wage to /close to or over the minimum wage. Its even explained to the servers that way.

Now with that said unfortunately most expect a tip regardless of the service given. I disagree, i understand its part of servers hourly pay but its earned not just given or to be demanded and that is explained when hired as well. So do a great job and EARN your way.

On the flip side most disagree or have some stigma about tipping. Tipping is what it is and has always been. If you flat out don't tip at a restaurant , stay home and cook and serve yourself your own meal.

Cover charges on the door do not go to the servers....not one dime. That goes to the establishment....period. The tipping system can be set up a few ways. Here's two:

1. The server makes her tips doesn't split with other servers but has to pay out the bussers/bartenders.

2. In a bar setting the bartenders split all the tips regardless and payout the bussers.

There are variations to these of course. Depending on who runs it /owns it but those are the two general ways.

As far as dishwashers go, you make minimum wage or a little over and you want a cut on top.....don't think so. You took the job knowing it pays and your not tipped out. But you see the tips and want extra because you clean their dishes....no.

Bussers your getting tipped out to clean up the mess on the table. If the server has to do your job, your not getting the tip from that table. Less out back smoking more inside working. And if you remove any portion or all of the tip from the table. The server is breaking your stuff off.

It's not as glamorous or lucrative as most people think. Don't get mad if it's not what you thought. Only the top tier who can successfully juggle half the establishment with a great attitude, even on horrendous nights with crappie patrons make the top money.

So when you see a server with a wad of money pay attention. A bad server gives away a big chunk to tipping out others and grips about having to do it. A great server doesn't worry they have plenty left over and are leaving with a sigh and a smile.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
General 10% tip, more if they've been good, less if bad.

I think tipping is a nice way to say 'You are not my servant, you are a human being and that demands recognition'.

Just my thoughts

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

benrl
You understand that by holding a table with out further ordering, in the waitress area, You essentially killed her opportunity to earn that night from it.

Essentially hurting someone that probably gets paid less than minimum an hour (because she gets tips). Hate tipping all you want, but frankly that was just as rude as her constantly coming to your table "bothering" you with her service.

Just because you don't like the system, doesn't mean its going to change.

I don't even think it's that entirely:

The server came to our table probably 15-20 times in the first couple hours (seriously ... it was damn annoying).

She seemed to finally catch on that we were basically done with an hour to go and we were simply there to watch the event by that point (the bar charged us cover, so no big deal.

At the end of the night the server went to every table around us, giving bills to customers and taking payment. But she ignored us.

So she started out giving them great service and once they made it painfully obvious they didn't want her attention, she toned it down and let them be.

I'm surprised the OP isn't complaining about the way she was breathing...

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I think the big problem with tipping is that it becomes expected, rather than earned. If I go to a restaurant and get good service and a good meal, then I am happy to tip knowing that the people who prepared and delivered that meal are on low income and just trying to make ends meet.

Attitude of the waiters goes a long way to deciding what size tip someone gives, or even if they tip at all. But a customers attitude can also affect the waiters attitude in return. I'm sure we all know that one person that always has to make a scene over the most trivial issue about their meal or the service, almost looking for an excuse so that they don't have to tip.

My best advice is to watch the movie 'Waiting' and see what can happen to peoples food if you piss off the waiters or other staff. As the saying goes .........."Never F with the people that prepare your food" !

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Did you read the OP? She was fishing for tips and more money for the bar (I don't blame her for the latter), and then she completely ignored us while taking payment from everyone around us. She did very little actual work for us. We could have walked out and I'm sure she would not have noticed. Why reward incompetence?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

InvisibleOwl

Did you read the OP? She was fishing for tips and more money for the bar (I don't blame her for the latter), and then she completely ignored us while taking payment from everyone around us. She did very little actual work for us. We could have walked out and I'm sure she would not have noticed. Why reward incompetence?

Yes, I read your slanted from a bitter point of view, OP.

Did you walk in and place your order directly with the cook, or wait and pick up your order and deliver it to your table, get your own coffee, drinks?

I didn't think so. You remind me of the type of person who counts the number of presents under the tree at Christmas, to see how many of them are for you.

Des

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

edit on 25-3-2014 by soulpowertothendegree because: Decided to open my own thread!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I tip. I remember what it used to be like taking low wages for the only job I could get. My wife hates my tipping, but she knows I'll eat her alive if she gets too uppity about it.

I never leave less than a fin ... even if what I ordered was less than $5. I also never leave the flat rate of 20% ... more, or less ... but never something that says my tip was unintentional.

Remember, when you leave a $20 tip on top of a $15 tab, you make someone's day. That person is going to remember you favorably, and there is no greater achievement in this life. Opinion ... maybe, but I've gotten a lot of mileage from a couple of extra bucks that make a real difference to folks who are busting ass for a living.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I live in a country where there is a respectable minimum wage therefore we very rarely if ever tip here,to me tipping is a clever con by corporate powers that be in places that virtually allow serfdom,quite frankly in this country you wouldn't get out of bed for whats on offer in the US hospitality industry and guess what our economy hasn't collapsed because people get a fair wage.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

khnum
I live in a country where there is a respectable minimum wage therefore we very rarely if ever tip here,to me tipping is a clever con by corporate powers that be in places that virtually allow serfdom,quite frankly in this country you wouldn't get out of bed for whats on offer in the US hospitality industry and guess what our economy hasn't collapsed because people get a fair wage.

I think you have the wrong impression of tipping in the U.S.

When my daughter was very young, I held down 2 jobs, a full time day office job that paid well, and for a time, a night job as a beverage server in the bar of an upscale restaurant. I needed to earn extra money to pay for my daughter's trip to Europe with a group of kids from the U.S. who had achieved a certain level of scholastic achievement.

At my night job as a server, on a good night, I would make $250.00 in tips, that I shared part of with the bar tender, and waitstaff that helped me with fulfilling orders. Even though I was only making $2.00 per hr in wages, I did very well with the tips.

Servers in the food and beverage industry depend on tips. How much they make in tips is entirely up to them in how well they perform their job.

It's hard to be on your feet for long periods of time, a smile always plastered to your face, and juggling multiple orders to make sure you deliver them, as ordered in a timely manner.

The good servers over time, through reputation, build up their own clientele, who always ask for them, or sit in their sections.

There is pride in being a server. To say a good server doesn't work hard for their money, is wrong.

JMOHO...

Des

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

You were lucky for every upscale bar theres 100 Denny's or Dunkin Donuts where there aren't $250.00 in tips available and where these miserable employers complain they couldn't survive if they paid a respectable wage,its a head screw supporting tipping is like supporting corporate welfare as I said before we have a fair minimum wage and the economy hasn't collapsed

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join