I hate tipping!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I know I may get attacked for this, but I have always hated tipping and I am hating it more each time I go out (I know, I know, I should just stay home ... weak argument).

Last Saturday I went to a local bar with my brother to watch a UFC event. We have been to the same bar many times now, so many of the staff recognize us (not sure if this played a part in this situation). As always we ordered food and a few drinks. And as always we both stopped drinking roughly an hour before the event ended and switched to coffee and/or water. The server came to our table probably 15-20 times in the first couple hours (seriously ... it was damn annoying).

She seemed to finally catch on that we were basically done with an hour to go and we were simply there to watch the event by that point (the bar charged us cover, so no big deal. We were not taking a space from anyone else). At the end of the night the server went to every table around us, giving bills to customers and taking payment. But she ignored us. At one point she was chatting with the table behind us, watching something on a customer's phone. She avoided my glances. Finally after 15-20 of her wandering around I got mad and demanded our bill. We paid and as we left we got a dirty look because we tipped a couple bucks on a $50 tab. Frankly, the $2 was more than she deserved.

It's obvious to me that tipping has far surpassed what it used to be ... a reward for good service ... and it is now expected. I have received atrocious service, yet the waiters/waitresses get upset when I don't reward them for said crappy service. At a family dinner last year our waiter was slow (restaurant was not very busy), forgetful, and brought 3 incorrect dishes. Yet as we were paying my sister (a server) insisted we tip 20%. Why?! How is it logical to pay more money for bad service? Would any of us get a bonus if we screwed up at work? No, we would be reprimanded if not fired. So why are servers so special?

In Alberta where I live minimum wage is $9.95 and $9.05 if you work in a place that serves alcohol. So none of that $2.13 garbage in the States. So, therefore, no real reason for customers to subsidize servers. Plenty of people work for minimum wage in way tougher (and more dangerous) jobs, and while they are not eating caviar every night, they generally are able to live, pay rent, etc. So why is it that we feel that servers are special and deserve extra money? And why are servers accepting low wages (referring to the US here; $2/hour is ridiculous)?

To me the argument that if we get rid of tipping restaurants will become more expensive does not hold water. As I stated, servers in Canada get paid much more than servers in the US, yet I doubt food prices are any different. I travelled to Taiwan last year and tipping is frowned upon there. We called the hotel front desk at 2 am to ask for more bottled water. Within 3 minutes a hotel employee was at our door to give us the water and she did not stick out her hand for a tip; she smiled, bowed, and went downstairs. Likewise the doorman never once expected a tip from us throughout the 2 weeks we were there. So if other countries can manage just fine without tips, why are we stuck in this mindset that servers deserve more money than other workers?

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
You understand that by holding a table with out further ordering, in the waitress area, You essentially killed her opportunity to earn that night from it.

Essentially hurting someone that probably gets paid less than minimum an hour (because she gets tips). Hate tipping all you want, but frankly that was just as rude as her constantly coming to your table "bothering" you with her service.

Just because you don't like the system, doesn't mean its going to change.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleOwl

'Oh man, tipping.... Why do some jobs get tips and others don't?
Don't most jobs require you to provide a service to someone?

Worked as a dishwasher for couple years in highschool, I never saw a dime of the tips and I would say the dishwashers are very key to how well the waiter gets tipped....

I now ask the waitress if the washers get any of the tips, not very common they do

Everyone should listen to mr pink and go from there
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I view tipping as money earned for excellent service. If I get subpar service or poor service, I will not tip. Period. In fact, I once had a waitress that was extremely rude to my father and I when I took him to a pub for a beer. She was making all sorts of remarks about how he was dressed to her friends at another table (which I overheard) and was giving me dirty looks the whole time. She also did not come up to our table to do her job more than once (I had to go up to the bar myself to order our drinks). So I left her exactly the amount of money we owed her, minus 1 penny.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Fine, now go back to the bar and give her a tip.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Tipping I think is more of a cultural thing.

I live in the UK and i dont tip, I know that whoever is serving me is making at least minimum wage which is a fair wage for someone doing the job they are doing.

So i don't tip, for me its like saying I am going to give you more money just for doing the job i would have expected you to do, that you are already being well paid to do, just for doing your job to a reasonable level.

So i dont tip.

If they were not getting at least minimum wage i might rethink it.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

benrl
You understand that by holding a table with out further ordering, in the waitress area, You essentially killed her opportunity to earn that night from it.

Essentially hurting someone that probably gets paid less than minimum an hour (because she gets tips). Hate tipping all you want, but frankly that was just as rude as her constantly coming to your table "bothering" you with her service.

Just because you don't like the system, doesn't mean its going to change.

Then she needs to be made at the restaurant, they charged a cover. I bet the waitress get a chunk of that $$ brought in by the cover.

They paid a cover, they were welcome to stay at their seat as long as they wanted, that is what the cover pays for...

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I expected this argument, and this is why the place charges cover at the door. Besides that we did buy food and drinks as I said. In fact I could see that we were ordering more than tables around us. We have been to that bar many times, so that the doorman and most staff know who we are. We bought much more than the 2 drink minimum.

Also, as I said in my OP, servers in bars get $9.05/hour, only 90 cents less than all other minimum wage earners. We tipped $2, thereby covering her lost wages compared to others.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I find this akin to my pet gripe"copyright". A fee you have to pay for no reason. Why oh why must I pay these"artistes" who have been groomed by the so called entrepeneurs millions of pounds for their art when the majority of the time they are just jumped up karaoke singers. Just one example. I am a time served carpenter. 5 year apprenticeship with low pay all the way through. Now pick any multi-million pound artiste, say Paul Mcartney. Say I fitted a new front door on his house, get paid for doing the job, the siad every time any-one uses the door you have to pay me royalties. Not only that but have a million pound company, like the performing rights society, fight my corner for me to get the money of them. I know what their answer would be.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

$2.00 tip on a $50.00 tab.???

Shame on you Bro...I would hate to be your server....

Des

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Yeah i didnt like tipping in the sates, and i played by the normal rules as i know some waitresses are on low pay with low hours.

In the UK you dont have to tip as its already in the prices and the staff wont be offended, unless they think they did a particularly good job and did extra a little something.

Which is good, also we never have a standard amount %. So when someone does a great job and get £10 an hour for their work, and you leave them at 5 or a ten thats a free hour of work for them which is always nice

I only tend to tip in restaurants. But in a cafe if im looked after well, i would leave a few pounds.

In the USA, if you go out for a huge meal, order extremely expensive wine and the bar bill like $500, would the server expect 10-20% of that?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I always tip and I tip well, because not too long ago I was a server & bartender, and I understand that sometimes you are just having an off day...

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Did you share your tips with bar backs and dishwashers?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Sremmos80
reply to post by jhn7537

Did you share your tips with bar backs and dishwashers?

Yes, there was always a percentage put aside for those guys. Bartenders gave a piece of their collective effort and the servers gave a piece of their collective effort. The other guy who got tipped out too was the food runners. The only guys who didn't get tipped out were the management and cooks.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

In Alberta where I live minimum wage is $9.95 and $9.05 if you work in a place that serves alcohol.

Were you aware that the wait staff have to subsidise the wages of the bartender, hostess, kitchen staff, and pay for breakage every night when they cash out?

It is charged as a percentage of the total sales that you have for the night....not of the tips you received.

The average was about 7%. So if you sell a $1000 dollars, which is not difficult in a busy bar or restaurant...you have to cough up $70 to subsidise the wages of everyone else that works there.

No tips....means you are paying out of pocket for this from your meagre wage.

I know this for a fact. I too am from Alberta and I have worked as a bartender and server many times while going to school. The tips were the only thing that made it worthwhile.

Now don't get me wrong....tips should be for good service...but you might want to keep the above in mind when you do tip someone that gave you good service.

edit on 25America/Chicagopm252014-03-25T15:59:13-05:00pmTuesday03 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You will probably get blasted by some people for expressing your opinion, but I agree with you. Don't get me wrong- I do tip people, but I don't have to like it. Unfortunately, in the U.S. I don't see this model changing anytime soon. The restaurant comes out ahead because they can pay the employee less than minimum wage and know that people will still work for them because they can make extra money in tips. The waiter/waitress comes out ahead because they are likely making more than minimum wage because of the tips. The person who gets screwed is the consumer, who ends up paying more than the quoted menu price simply because the restaurant owner wants more money in his or her pocket. I believe waiters and waitresses should be paid minimum wage, and tips should be done away with. Alternatively, more sit-down restaurants should go to a model where the customer gets his own drink refills and goes up to the counter to pick up his food, instead of having a server do something you basically can do yourself.

Of course, I could always choose not to frequent these types of restaurants, and it is partially my fault for continuing to participate in the whole scheme.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Well then you worked for a great restaurant, not that common, or at least not that common in CA.

Cooks didn't get any tips huh? Seems odd lol

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Biigs

In the USA, if you go out for a huge meal, order extremely expensive wine and the bar bill like $500, would the server expect 10-20% of that?

Yes, a server expects to be tipped at least 15% of the total bill, regardless of how large or small it is. 15% used to be the standard. Now there appears to be a push to move it up to 20%.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Sremmos80
reply to post by jhn7537

Well then you worked for a great restaurant, not that common, or at least not that common in CA.

Cooks didn't get any tips huh? Seems odd lol

Well, I know the head chef and 2 of his line cooks were salaried workers, I'm not sure about any of the other cooks, but I'm assuming those chefs and cooks weren't tipped out was because of the guaranteed wages

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
We don´t usually tip in our country only when we eat in fancy restaurant and tip is about 10% of price your meal costs. waitress don´t expect to be tipped either as they get basic salary plus the bonus ( this is set by the law ) regarding how many years they have been doing the job. Restaurant and pub prices are a lot more expencive than the prices you see in the items in grocery store and thats where they do get their salary.
Its not custom here and when i am abroad i do tip where expected. The system of tipping is quite twisted as the employer should give waitresses a decent salary and not to expect them to be paid and managed in their life by tips.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join