It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeptics: Do you want to be alone in the Universe?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
If they are anything like humans, then yes, I wish we are alone in the Universe. We can barely handle with each other, who knows what would happen if there is another race like us.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

And you never came off condescending?

Really?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by game over man

I can't believe this jerk thinks the universe would still exist if no one were to observe it?

Idiot.

Prove existence without observation.

Prove existence of ETs without observation.

Do you limit your belief because you are out of touch with modern science?

Do you feel comfortable with your skeptical belief because of the size of the Universe? It's too big to search?

Have you seen enough evidence to discount alien life in our solar system?

Observation in the solar system, and exoplanets, and SETI and searching for ET life is undeniable. Once again--there has been NO PROOF yet.
Regardless of what one wants, wishes, or believes.
edit on 4/2/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

What is going on here? Did you just read the OP and skip the thread?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Once again a question with an obvious answer. I have been replying to you and the relevant issues on the topics in the thread.

I chose to avoid the AA theories about the pyramids because that implies humans were were not bright enough or capable enough to do it on their own.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

game over man

Do you feel comfortable with your skeptical belief because of the size of the Universe?

Oxymoron.
edit on 2-4-2014 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

game over man
Do you want to be alone in the Universe?

The skeptical side of the alien debate represents "there is no evidence"

Is there really no evidence?

I ask the question because I find it astonishing so many people don't want to look. What caused you to give up the search?

Do you want to be alone? Do you limit your alien research to ufology? Do you limit it to pictures of Mars? Do you limit it to fraudulent claims or hoaxes? Do you limit your beliefs because of SETI?

Do you limit your belief because you are out of touch with modern science?

Do you feel comfortable with your skeptical belief because of the size of the Universe? It's too big to search?

Have you seen enough evidence to discount alien life in our solar system?

Some of you are acting like children over this. I'm sure readers are getting a kick out of it.

So here we go:

I'll go over the questions.

1. Do you want to be alone? Fair question and some people find the question annoying. I thought it was a challenging question.

2. Evidence. I think there is evidence, but no proof. I stated my opinion in the early pages of the thread.

3. Look/search. I feel a lot of regular old people don't look or search but have their belief.

4. Limitations. Is your belief system based upon what you study/observe? I feel some people are non believers because they base their opinion on mars rock threads (example).

5. Out of touch. Some people spend more time reading about pop culture than science. I'm encouraging to follow science.

6. Size of the universe. Sorry I used belief. Grammar police. Pretty simple question. Are you skeptical about contact due to the size of the universe.

7. Solar system. Straight forward. Are you convinced with our current research we are the only life in the universe.

Now, the last few pages of accusing me to the mean spirited person is insane. There are a few people being extremely passive aggressive.

Two more reposts from earlier in the thread:

Edit to add: There are lots of people who will agree than there is extreme blind skepticism on ATS to the point of being a belief. You may argue, there's no way someone could be so skeptical, but yes those people exist just as much as blind believers.

edit on 2-4-2014 by game over man because: (no reason given)

link   

game over man
reply to post by gortex

Links:
New Technique Finds Water in Exo Planet Atmospheres

Hubble Finds Clear Signal of Water in 5 Exoplanet Atmospheres

For the First Time, Astronomers Read Exo Planet's Color

One in Five Stars has Earth Sized Planet in Habitable Zone

Kepler Discovers First Earth Sized Planets Inside Habitable Zone 2011

Nasa Discovers Three Earth Sized Planets Right in the Habitable Zone 2013

Scientists Home in on Earth Sized Exoplanet 2014

First Possible Exomoon Spotted

Starshade Alien Earth Exoplanets Incredible Tech

Scientist discover a Jewel at the Heart of Quantum Physics

ATS Thread on Quantum Jewel Discovery

JadeStar
This could have implications for a form of interstellar propulsion as envisioned by NASA's Alan C. Holt. See his Field Resonance Propulsion papers from the 1980s. He describes something that would need exactly this type of discovery in order to work.

Incidentally, his work was the subject of a cover story in Science Digest in May of 1982.

edit on 16-12-2013 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

Some excerpts from the paper:

The relevant conclusion which this latest discovery now helps with (since Field Resonance Propulsion was based on the assumption that what was found in the original post, would be found)

PDF-Space Testing of Electromagnetically Sensitive Materials for Breakthrough Propulsion Physics

Field Resonance Propulsion Concept

CIA.gov CIA's Role in the Study of UFOs, 1947-90

FOIA - Project Blue Book

The New Hunt for Alien Worlds

Scientist to Congress: We have the Technology to Find Alien Life

Top 10 Places to Find Alien Life

Will We Really Find Alien Life in 20 Years?

Nasa's Kepler Mission Announces a Planet Bonanza, 715 New Worlds

Extreme Life on Earth; 8 Bizarre Creatures

How Earth's Extremophiles Could Aide Alien LIfe Search

link   

game over man
More Links:

ESA Plato Hunting Mission

Search for Dyson Spheres

Nasa Terestrial Planet Finder

Newly Discovered Big Bang Signal

Meteorites Reveal Amino Acids

Ultimate Prebiotic Molecule Found in Interstellar Space

Mathematical Universe

Edit: My personal stance on the debate:

1. Our planet is perfectly capable of being visited

2. I believe we have most likely always been visited and continue to be visited by ET

3. We have detected flying craft of unknown origin

4. We do not know the occupants of UFOs

5. Almost all UFO and abduction stories are not authentic

6. There is a possibility of past human-alien contact on earth

7. Our history is filled with unknowns

8. I believe it is possible we currently have military in space

9. I believe it is possible humans have top secret advanced technology

10. I believe physical evidence of ET visitation can be easily covered up

11. I believe there may be other terrestrial life more advanced than humans

12. I believe a parallel Universe theory to be possible

13. I respect mythology and would never tell a native person, "Sorry your God is just a rock."

14. I do not jump, but rather lean to conclusions based upon all the available information.

15. I agree we do not have any evidence of ET visitation, however this does not change my instinct, which is swayed by the above links and other closely related subject material.
edit on 25-3-2014 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Sir you are being extremely passive aggressive and no you didn't. It took you a few post to have an opinion about ET life for all the possible situations I mentioned.

You are more interested in knit-picking particular posts, and being the bad cop grammer police. When you act like that, you will receive the same back in my own style.

To everyone:
This debate is supposed to be about aliens, not you or me. The last few pages is all about I'm right and the OP is blah blah blah.

Cue in 3, 2, 1 to correct me and show no interest in alien discussion on a alien message board.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

It took you a few post to have an opinion about ET life for all the possible situations I mentioned.

Is it wrong that I just happened to respond honestly on the first page?
Does it surprise you that people have thought about this subject before?
Many of those questions...ugh.

I gave you my opinion and also said there is no proof (in effect my opinion doesn't matter in the end.)

Have I not repeatedly written about the possibility of aliens? I have also repeatedly said we have no proof.

I do not see your problem with my post on the first page as I did address your OP.

The points you re-posted above have a lot of "I believe"s in it and therefore don't address the title or topic of the OP: to skeptics (which you have now said you meant unbelievers a few pages ago.
)

As I and others have said, "my opinion", "my beliefs", "I feel", "are you convinced"--the terms you just used above do not relate to a skeptical perspective.

You asked skeptics "do you want to be alone?" (you've repeated that several times, so I don't think it was a mistake)

That is the wrong question to ask a skeptic if you are looking for skeptical points of view.
Maybe you should have just asked the open question "do you want to be alone?" without directing it to a certain group.

You could have gotten all the Yes and No responses, without people "nit-picking" over your repeated choice of the word skeptic.

You got answers on the possibilities, the technology, the search, the odds of alien life existing, wishes, speculations, and beliefs.

But there is NO PROOF.

As said it doesn't matter what " "my opinion", "my beliefs", "I feel", "are you convinced", wishes, or imagines.

Listing space programs like telescopes, probes, etc... and lists of studies of UFOs are nice and all, but doesn't change the fact.

As I said in my first post I said the odds were that No, we are not the only life in the universe.
And I also said "No, I don't want to be alone." It's just not proven yet.

It does not matter what I want or "believe".

You are more interested in knit-picking particular posts, and being the bad cop grammer police. When you act like that, you will receive the same back in my own style.

Isn't it better to express points and ideas in clear and correct terms and grammar?

Does trying to clarify warrant you putting words in my mouth and insults?

And if I am being passive-aggressive it is probably preferred to aggressive, no? I am not the one calling names here.

I have addressed all your questions throughout my posts, in addition to disagreeing with your over-generalized notion of a skeptic.

Am I skeptical? Yes, until there is proof.

Do I "want to be alone?" No, as I said on the first page.

I have said all this several times already.

From a few of your comments I get the idea (just my opinion--remember, those don't really matter) that you think this is a very deep thread and you've even said to me "you'll thank me later" as if some sort of epiphany will result from this thread.

* I hear crickets chirping *

You told me earlier a post of mine was tldr and "why did I bother".

Maybe then you haven't even read this one either.

So how do you make it through all that research you do?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

You couldn't be more wrong.

I've seen mysterious things, both in the sky, and in the ocean. But, I am still a firm skeptic.

Just because you don't know what it is, doesn't mean that it's aliens from outer space.

Are there unexplained occurrences? Yes. My own USO sighting remains a mystery to this day. It's even happened again a couple of years ago, according to a friend that lives in the area.

A skeptic doesn't go around screaming CGI, about everything of this sort, and you very well know it.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I gave you a star. Great post. Sorry we got off on the wrong page.

No pun intended

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

draknoir2

game over man
reply to post by draknoir2

I can't believe this jerk thinks the universe would still exist if no one were to observe it?

Idiot.

Prove existence without observation. Harte

Which Jerk? Me, Harte, or Sartre?

All four of us.

Harte

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

game over man
reply to post by Harte

If there was no intelligent life?

How would it be noted?

We only know of the big bang from our observations.

You believe, then, that a thing must be "noted" in order for it to exist?

How is it then that predators sneak up on prey?

Harte

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

What?

That doesn't make sense.

I believe an observer plays an important role for existence. You don't. Cool.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Harte

That would be 3 people not 4. Pay attention. I replied to his post too.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

game over man I believe an observer plays an important role for existence. You don't. Cool.

Would you call it an important role, or a necessary role?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by conundrummer

Well I'm scared of being bullied by the know it alls, so yes it's required.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

game over man
reply to post by Harte

That would be 3 people not 4. Pay attention. I replied to his post too.

Same to you, since you were the fourth.

Duh.

Harte

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join