It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeptics: Do you want to be alone in the Universe?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

waltwillis
Are you gay or did I ask for your love?

You misunderstood completely what he meant by "Wow, such love for a person who needs a little more proof that something exists than just speculation.".

He wasn't talking about your love for HIM, but rather your love/support for the OPs hyberbolic claims and strawman argument about "skeptics"

But going by the rest of your post, where you wrote...:

Being a stupid person should not entitle you to receive a free pass in life,

nor should the thinking folks on this forum be required to overlook and adjust their way of thinking to make the fools feel good.

You depict yourself as a fighter, well so am I.

I do have compassion for the people in need and have spent my life defending them from bullies, but I will not defend a stupid person that will not listen.

I try not to engage in verbal combat with fools because it may confuse the observers as to which one is the fool.

Thank you for finding and bringing to my attention my shortcomings and deficiencies.

...it seems to me that 'Xtrozero" may have been right about your character assassination.

edit on 3/31/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

My mistake...so sorry. I will try better next time to understand the content as directed to me as well as the subject matter.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

game over man
Do you want to be alone in the Universe?

The skeptical side of the alien debate represents "there is no evidence"

Is there really no evidence?

I ask the question because I find it astonishing so many people don't want to look. What caused you to give up the search?

Do you want to be alone? Do you limit your alien research to ufology? Do you limit it to pictures of Mars? Do you limit it to fraudulent claims or hoaxes? Do you limit your beliefs because of SETI?

Do you limit your belief because you are out of touch with modern science?

Do you feel comfortable with your skeptical belief because of the size of the Universe? It's too big to search?

Have you seen enough evidence to discount alien life in our solar system?

Whoa... whoa!! who said anyone has given up the search? I've seen enough evidence to know that people do silly things, and that it's gonna take more than a good story and some questionable pictures to know for sure whats up.

game over man
The skeptical side of the alien debate represents "there is no evidence"

There's LOTS of evidence. Most of it is evidence that it's hard to know what's going on because of hoax, delusion, hysteria, hearsay, bias, etc etc...
edit on 31-3-2014 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Ectoplasm8

Are you 100% sure you have proof the Egyptians documented how they built the Great Pyramids of Giza?

Outside of AA theory it is still a mystery...Why would it be a debate still if there is written proof by the Egyptians? Are you sure the hieroglyphics you posted are depicting the construction?

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

It's not what I think about skeptical people on alien discussions...I just hear the, "I need more convincing" line all the time.

A lot of times hardcore skeptics have an attitude of self entitlement, where they don't need to do the research and the believers are the ones looking into things.

Believers and more helpful than skeptics because pondering is important.

If no one observed the Universe, the Universe wouldn't exist.

If we don't look for or observe alien life, it doesn't exist either.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

game over man

It's not what I think about skeptical people on alien discussions...I just hear the, "I need more convincing" line all the time.

A lot of times hardcore skeptics have an attitude of self entitlement, where they don't need to do the research and the believers are the ones looking into things.

Believers and more helpful than skeptics because pondering is important.

If no one observed the Universe, the Universe wouldn't exist.

If we don't look for or observe alien life, it doesn't exist either.

So, skeptics don't look or observe? They don't ponder?
They don't research?

IMO real skeptics do exactly those things, not just accepting something -- but looking for the truth, the proof.

I hear "I need proof" from skeptics not "I need more convincing".

If one is a "believer", do they really continue to seek, search, look, ponder? Since you are fond of over-generalization, don't believers stop all that once they believe?

After this whole thread up to this point, you are still writing things like above quote??
edit on 4/1/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
What I, or anyone, wants has nothing to do with what is.

As such I don't understand the point of this topic.
edit on 1-4-2014 by SaosinEngaged because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

You are completely unaware or new to ATS. I don't care that you are accusing me of making this stuff up. My point proven per your post about skepticism.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Chamberf=6
...If one is a "believer", do they really continue to seek, search, look, ponder? Since you are fond of over-generalization, don't believers stop all that once they believe?...

Yes. I was going to ask the same question, and use the exact same term you used -- "over-generalization".

Just like "game over man" has over-generalized skeptics, I can over-generalize believers by lumping all believers into one category of being blind believers who automatically and blindly believe any and all UFO reports really are alien craft simply because they have a pre-existing belief in alien visitation to begin with.

Of course, this it would be wrong of me to over-generalize in this manner, but the fact still remains that there ARE some people who will automatically and blindly believe a specific UFO report without doing any real "due diligence" attempt at confirming the report, nor using critical thinking skills to determine if it could be something more mundane than an alien craft.

Like I said, I know not ALL believers are like that, but it seems that the argument here is that ALL skeptics should similarly be lumped into one over-generalized category of "stubborn people who can never be convinced, no matter the evidence", because all skepticism is bad and closed-minded

I admit, there certainly are skeptics who fit that description, but most do not. Actually, as I had said many times before, both those bad skeptics AND blind believers could be lumped into that category of "stubborn people who can never be convinced, no matter the evidence". There have been many UFO threads here on ATS with videos that quite clearly looked like something mundane (such as an airplane with its landing lights flying toward the observer) that no matter how much evidence was presented to show that planes can actually exhibit the behavior in the video, there was still a certain percentage of people who claimed "nope -- I'm not buying the idea that it could be a plane".

So, yeah -- If I wanted to over-generalize too (which I don't), I could call ALL alien visitation believers "stubborn people who can never be convinced, no matter the evidence", because there are in fact some stubborn alien visitation believers (just like some bad skeptics) who are like that.

edit on 4/1/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: speellling and format

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Also your post is generalizing the word skeptic in general.

This thread is about skepticism specifically towards aliens and UFOs.

Read carefully before you bash me. Another point I mentioned earlier.

Example:
If people are skeptical of finding life on Mars, they rather cancel the mission, and not look. "Why not help people on earth" etc...or some other argument along those lines.
edit on 1-4-2014 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

The irony of you being skeptical about alien/UFO skeptics on ATS, generalizing their behavior, "they never do this..." with a bunch of stars is hilarious.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

game over man

The irony of you being skeptical about alien/UFO skeptics on ATS, generalizing their behavior, "they never do this..." with a bunch of stars is hilarious.

You have missed the point of Chamberf=6's post.

He is saying that it is just as wrong for you to generalize all skeptics as being someone who will NEVER believe in alien visitation, no matter the evidence, as it is would be for someone else to generalize all believers as someone who will blindly believe any and all UFO reports are alien craft without any evidence whatsoever, but simply because they really really want UFOs to be alien craft.

edit on 4/1/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Except he said believers don't research, they just believe...Skeptics are apparently the ones searching for alien life giving the ok to dump billions of dollars into the investment because they are skeptical we will ever find any aliens.

While as believers don't want to invest in alien research because they already know...

Mmmmmmokay.....

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

game over man

Except he said believers don't research, they just believe...Skeptics are apparently the ones searching for alien life giving the ok to dump billions of dollars into the investment because they are skeptical we will ever find any aliens.

While as believers don't want to invest in alien research because they already know...

Mmmmmmokay.....

I could be wrong, but I think he was taking the devil's advocate approach, and purposely using the same sort of generalization you were using.

He said:
"Since you are fond of over-generalization, don't believers stop all that once they believe?"

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Actually upon further review I have no idea what the post was really getting at. I thought they defined skepticism and believer in a general context and not in the context of alien life in the universe, extremophile or intelligent ET.

In the context of a debunker, debunking about something religious then I can see the poster's point. A believer isn't skeptical about Jesus because they just believe whereas someone skeptical will use logic and science to either debunk or prove it's existence.

I guess the poster is suggesting a belief in alien life is no different than believing in God?

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

game over man
reply to post by Ectoplasm8

Are you 100% sure you have proof the Egyptians documented how they built the Great Pyramids of Giza?

He didn't claim that.

What you just did is the equivalent of me saying to you "Are you sure that the UFO you captured in your backyard and keep in your garage is not a rabbit?"

What was shown, and quite well known, was typical Egyptian construction techniques. These techniques are completely capable of resulting in the construction of the Great Pyramid.

If you flip a coin, there's simply no way for me to really know the result of your coin flip - even if you tell me - unless I witness it myself.

That said, I do know that you got either heads or tails.

Harte

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

game over man

You are completely unaware or new to ATS.

D'Oh!

Check his join date! LOL

The guy you criticize here has over the years shown more brains in a single hair follicle than you have in your entire family tree.

The problem, it seems to me, is that you think "research" means reading what wild-eyed fringe writers have to say about a thing.

Harte

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by game over man

Outside of AA theory it is still a mystery

It's only a mystery if you want it to be but in reality we know how and why they built the pyramids.
Knowing that makes them no less an impressive achievement and they are a lasting reminder of what we can do if we put our minds to it.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Why in the world are you insulting my family?

2nd

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Who do you think you are coming at me like this???? I thought my question was okay and implied my skepticism towards aa theory and curiosity to his rebuttal post towards the aa believer! Get a life!!!

If you all want me to suffer and don't like my thread, then get out!!!!

It's 10 pages long, I think that is pretty good!

Some of you are egotistally negative!!!

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Harte

game over man

You are completely unaware or new to ATS.

D'Oh!

Check his join date! LOL

The guy you criticize here has over the years shown more brains in a single hair follicle than you have in your entire family tree.

The problem, it seems to me, is that you think "research" means reading what wild-eyed fringe writers have to say about a thing.

Harte

I WANT AN ANSWER.

JERK.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join