It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belgium Newspaper Depicts BARACK AND MICHELLE OBAMA as Apes Ahead Of President`s Visit

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kathat

I didn't cite the Danish newspaper kerfuffle to say anything about Danish society in particular, since I know very little about it. It was, in a broader sense, to point out how easy it is to champion freedom of expression until it's your ox that's being gored.

I don't see hate speech as occupying some grey area, rather, I see it as thought crime dressed in a cheap tuxedo. Advocates of censorship are ALWAYS a greater threat to you than what they are trying to censor.

I can think of no example where history has validated censorship. Inevitably we wake up with a collective hangover and say, "Yeah, I guess we shouldn't have burned those books, and locked up those dissidents, and strung up those heretics. But we learned our lesson. Won't happen again. Pinkie swear!"

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
They did something extremely stupid and hurtful. They apologized when they were called out on it and maybe learned a valuable lesson or maybe not.

It's not as if any of us are shocked that there are some very stupid and hurtful people in this world.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe It's extremely poor taste, classless, and ignorant IMO.

exactly so.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

GrassyTroll
reply to post by kathat

I didn't cite the Danish newspaper kerfuffle to say anything about Danish society in particular, since I know very little about it. It was, in a broader sense, to point out how easy it is to champion freedom of expression until it's your ox that's being gored.

I don't see hate speech as occupying some grey area, rather, I see it as thought crime dressed in a cheap tuxedo. Advocates of censorship are ALWAYS a greater threat to you than what they are trying to censor.

I can think of no example where history has validated censorship. Inevitably we wake up with a collective hangover and say, "Yeah, I guess we shouldn't have burned those books, and locked up those dissidents, and strung up those heretics. But we learned our lesson. Won't happen again. Pinkie swear!"

I think a lot of offence comes from, lack of tolerance, we all know a lot of extremists people / cultures / groups have low to no tolerances.

A lot of the time tolerance comes from common sense. A lot of the time, that gets thrown out of the windows first.

Since this concerns Obama et al., if they take offence, let them take it up with the paper. Why should somebody else fight their fight, it is not like, they don't have the money nor power to do so.

We don't need to stick up for Obama and his cronies.

edit on 26-3-2014 by kathat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicDude

I have to say, I don't find it offensive....I find Obama's actions against American citizens offensive. His entire administration IS offensive.
That being said, it is now to the point, I am so sick of the racism card, I roll my eyes at any instance of the subject being brought up.
I am so sick of the race baiting, so sick of idiots like Sharpton and Jackson, I am immune to any feeling regarding it. It's ridiculous.

There are much more important things to be concerned with than being 'offended' by something like that.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Okay,i was kinda waiting for this one to come up

maybe i have missed it -i have to admit that i did not read through the whole thread- and somebody else has already done it,but i am from Belgium and this is getting pulled so far out of context in the English speaking media that i would like to clarify something about those pictures and the newspaper they are in

three points here:

First off, this was printed in "De Morgen" which is, in Belgium, well know particularly for it's anti-racist stance

second, most newspapers over here have a habbit of inserting one or several satiric/comedy pages in every issue.it was printed in a section of the paper, which i believe is called "The Daily Herald" and which is De Morgen's comedy section,so anyone who understands the Dutch language would immediately understand that this is intended as joke (albeit one of bad taste,i must admit)

and last,but probably most important,because i think that this is the main reason why this came out wrong - the little picture of Putin in the top righthand corner with a couple lines of writing next to it,should actually be seen as an integral part of this "joke".i'll explain: the printing next to our friend Vlad translates roughly into this:

"Vladimir Putin,the president of Russia,was asked for a contribution to the paper and sent us these pictures because he did not have a lot of time"

De Morgen obviously made that up for it's satirical section and posted it,along with the pictures of Obama (which could already be found all over the internet long before they where published by De Morgen) as a joke which, if you look at it, is intended much more as a Stab towards Putin then towards Obama.

Having said that, i still do agree with you all that it is a joke of very poor taste, but it is just that...a joke

anyway,i just felt i had to point that out for you guys

edit on 26/3/2014 by DigitalDisaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Donald Rumsfeld is behind this, it's racially motivated and. It is an outrage!
edit on 26-3-2014 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Would anyone be upset or offended if they were white with a monkeys face? I doubt it as every person regardless of skin colour, religeon or class is decended from primates. Get over the skin colour race baiting already. Just consider the paper an idiots scriptsheet and leave it at that.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

I'm not a public official so I wouldn't be bothered about it. Obama is loathed by many. Some may be racist, some not. I'm also not offended by Nick Cannon's racist behavior and I expect him to keep his mouth shut when the tables are turned.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicDude

I do not agree with his politics but I'm am horribly offended by that print...what a bunch of racist pieces or garbage..I feel bad for any black person living in the country...how insulting.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Actually I was offended when some people in our own country made a similar depiction of George Bush Junior..but I'm more offended because it has a more racist slant to it...

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

Whatever, no it does not have a racist slant. There really are a lot of racists on here screaming racism

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

When people bring up race as an argument especially when the issue isn't racial they are just saying I'm not intelligent enough to have a grown up debate.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

Very well said.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Some attitudes that people have about those who do not resemble them is not fully their fault, we have to forgive the ignorant they fail to see we are all humans, Nick Canon did not start any of this nonsense, monkey portrayal is nothing new, I know I saw a picture of GWB once where someone did that with photoshop, we all know that these attitudes linger in the wake of the ignorant warped mentality engrained by the elevation of eugenics and attainment of the super man or super mensch the cornerstones of superiority and inferiority theories, this mentality was spawned by none other than the Nazi's and earlier beliefs cultivated the world over in the 17 and 1800's including Darwinism, it is no worse than the soccer player who the fans regularly throw bananas at and mock him as though he were a monkey.

But lets not forget the NY post had a cartoon of police shooting dead a monkey, and of course it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who that cartoon was referring to, they eventually made an apology, also the recent ever so slick comments of Donald Rumsfeld , all smack of the old beliefs that blacks and monkeys are synonymous and therefore less than human, and of course inferior.

So for someone in the Belgium press to do this type of thing with a cartoon in the 21st century, one has to look back at some of the history of the treatment of others in that country not so long ago, there are also other European countries that partook in this utter nonsense.

Let's call a spade a spade, yes that portrayal is racist, anyone who fails to see it for what it is, they are living in never never land or the world of the naive deniers.

Belgium and the forgotten ignorance

edit on 27-3-2014 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
First...I have seen both those pictures on the internet. Second, it was a parody of Putin insulting Obama. Third and finally, why is showing them as apes racist? What if they were dog faces, or pig noses. Would that have been racist? The definition of racist is a hate of a race and/or you feeling superiority to another race. Where does this parody with pictures from the internet get labeled racist?

And for that matter...who the hell cares? A mocked up picture of them with monkey faces. Is that all it takes to upset us now-a-days? Talk about thin-skinned. Grow up and take a joke.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I haven't looked through all the posts, so what I present here may already have been made public.

De Morgen published the pictures as if they were sent in by Putin, of course they were not!!! They are indeed, tacky, insulting, and very derogatory. It tells us a lot about the mindset of the publishers and editor of De Morgen, of which, the less said, the better.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by WeAreAWAKE

I think people see this as racist because it is insinuating that blacks are much closer in genealogy than other people are, to primates. Which is total BS of course.
I am very against the Obama's but I do not condone racist policies of any kind and have an inter racial marriage myself.

Another thing about this is that people will now feel sorry for the Obama's and give them some slack on running the country into the ground even further, and even forget all about how President Obama has killed hundreds of women and children with drones and bragged about getting really good at it.

Or how he used a big shipment(s) of guns to Mexico just to use as a ruse to take them away from US citizens and got federal agents and others killed for it. Or how narcissistic he is with insisting on the most ridiculous mandates that only hurt the rest of the country. And on and on he goes pretending everything is wonderful..At least he and his family are sure having a wonderful time, which is really all he is concerned about at the end of the day..

Obama probably is glad about this racist incident since it will take the pressure off for everything he is failing at. He knows people will feel sorry for him and come running to offer anger against the racists in Belgium and he can slip through some more crap with his commandeered congress and senate people.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
guys

belgium is a cover up... Air force one is in my country...

The oficiall tv channel dont play this information, but bloggers posted today pictures, the air force one is in my country...

air force one

and everybody thinks that obama is in belgium. Gumbo in my country is called μπαμια bamia... so when we speak about obama, we say Obamia...

edit on 27-3-2014 by Ploutonas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

The Obamas WILL milk this along with their minions just like they always do. But the "racist weapon" used to defame and brand people is soooooo stupid. When you don't like someone, you find something to fixate upon in your words. You call a woman a bitch, a poor white a redneck, etc. That doesn't mean you hate the entire group they may belong to...it is just an insult. Often, you belong to the same group. But...the dems and libs use this as a weapon and then for sympathy because so many of them are liars, cheats and hypocrites. But it is not racist.

But then again...Obama is an ass and deserves anything he gets. And more.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join