It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to clone a McDonald's "Egg McMuffin" breakfast sandwich

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
(Click the direct links for larger images)

Things you'll need:

• English muffin (Thomas' brand, Original)
• Egg (Large, Grade A)
• Canadian bacon (Hormel)
• American cheese (Kraft Deli Deluxe)
• Butter
• Cooking spray (PAM)
• Egg ring (about 3½" diameter)

1. Spray skillet and the inside of the egg ring with PAM. Set the egg ring in the skillet and preheat to 275 - 300°F:

i.imgur.com...

Note: Egg rings can be bought from various places, or you can make them from a tin can by cutting out both ends of the can with a can opener. I made mine from cans of store-brand pineapples (which I chose because they were the right size) because I didn't see any real ones at the store. The real ones usually have handles which makes them more convenient to remove when hot. A pair of tongs or oven mitts solves the no-handle issue, though my tin can egg rings don't get too hot to handle bare-handed at the top anyway.

2. Split an English muffin and toast the insides. Do not put them in a pop-up toaster which toasts both sides (I use my oven's broiler). Then place them on a piece of wax paper and spread butter on both halves:

i.imgur.com...

3. Break the egg into the egg ring. Pierce the yolk to allow it to spread out and cook the egg until the white is nearly set on top, which usually happens in 5 minutes or so. Remove the egg ring and flip the egg over. Cook for perhaps a minute more and it is done. The Canadian bacon can be heated in the same skillet, a minute or two per side (more or less depending upon how "browned" you want it to be):

i.imgur.com...

4. Place a slice of cheese, the cooked egg, and the heated slice of Canadian bacon on the bottom half of the English muffin, then top with the top half of the English muffin:

i.imgur.com...

5. Wrap the sandwich with the wax paper and microwave on high for 15 to 20 seconds:

i.imgur.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I can't eat them anymore .... but when I could, I used to LUV the McGriddle sandwiches.

Bacon Egg Cheese McGriddles
With the maple syrup through the sandwich? Oh man .... they were good.
Probably the only McDonalds food that I actually liked.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MaximRecoil

Why the hell would you want to do such a thing!

The clown from McDonalds probably tastes better and has a shorter expiration date!
LoL

But each to their own i suppose.
edit on 25-3-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

FlyersFan
I can't eat them anymore .... but when I could, I used to LUV the McGriddle sandwiches.

Bacon Egg Cheese McGriddles
With the maple syrup through the sandwich? Oh man .... they were good.
Probably the only McDonalds food that I actually liked.

The syrup in the bun...

It got me every time.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

andy06shake

Why the hell would you want to do such a thing!

The clown from McDonalds probably tastes better and has a shorter expiration date!
LoL

But each to their own i suppose.

Egg McMuffins are awesome, and the ones I make at home are better than the ones you get at McDonald's, because they use butter (McDonald's has used a butter substitute in lieu of butter since the '80s), and the Hormel Canadian bacon is slightly thicker than the Canadian bacon that McDonald's uses. I just wish I could clone their hash browns too.

What would give an Egg McMuffin an especially long expiration date? The Canadian bacon and cheese will last a while, but that's just the nature of cheese and cured meats. The egg, butter, and English muffin won't last particularly long before going bad.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I did something similar with their Frappes, found the basic recipe, healthied it up a bit, less sugar, some decaf etc.

Instead of a 700 calories drink, got it down to probably 400 something, still bad, but if your gonna anyway might as well shave some off.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Who would make those tube eggs on purpose?
Here's a better idea. Whisk two fresh eggs until they are pale yellow and then heat the pan to medium never hot for eggs. When the pan is warm add a pat of butter swirl it around then pour in the scrambled eggs and keeping the eggs constantly moving cook over gentle heat until no longer shiny and runny. Nice sweet eggs instead of those tube egg white lumps they put on an egg macmuffin. Add the Canadian bacon,cheese and the English muffin and now you have a breakfast sandwich worth getting out of bed for. Enjoy. Oh you can toast both sides of the English muffin in this version and no need to eat microwaved bread. Ewwwww.
edit on AMu31u0331326312014-03-25T07:26:25-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I'm sure the ones you make are awesome! So it's not exactly a clone now is it but rather an improvement?

The list of ingredients contained within the McMuffin total 50, most of which are not particularly good for you and some also do nasty things not only our digestive tract but also to the rest of our body.

Just pointing out the things that McDonalds put in there products are not exactly good for us!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Most people don't realize that butter does not need to be refrigerated. It won't last as long as refrigerated butter but it can be stored in a crock on the counter for days at a time. Look it up. I won a bet on this once. We keep our butter in the freezer and take it out one stick at a time but I do take it out of the fridge the night before for the morning toast. I have a covered butter crock. Melts better on warm toast and never rips the bread.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657
Who would make those tube eggs on purpose?
Here's a better idea. Whisk two fresh eggs until they are pale yellow and then heat the pan to medium never hot for eggs. When the pan is warm add a pat of butter swirl it around then pour in the scrambled eggs and keeping the eggs constantly moving cook over gentle heat until no longer shiny and runny. Nice sweet eggs instead of those tube egg white lumps they put on an egg muffin. Add the Canadian bacon and the English muffin and now you have a breakfast sandwich worth getting out of bed for. Enjoy.

"Tube eggs"? It is simply a fried egg, constrained in the shape of a circle due to the egg ring rather than spreading out randomly like this. The idea is to make it match the size of the Canadian bacon and the English muffin, as well as give it a consistent thickness throughout.

As to who would make them at home: anyone who wants the equivalent of an Egg McMuffin as opposed to some random variant. Personally, I don't like scrambled eggs on breakfast sandwiches, and except for the rare cases in which I'm in the mood, I don't like scrambled eggs at all.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Syrup? You mean crystallized maple flavored sugar lumps don't you?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657
reply to post by benrl

Syrup? You mean crystallized maple flavored sugar lumps don't you?

Oh gawd, my mouths watering.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Maple butter spread. Oh man that stuff was good. I miss that ...
MMMMMMM Read only if you dare ...

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Yeah tube eggs. Eggs cooked in metal tubes. Like the yolk and white separate. Take a slice of bread cut a hole on the center place in a warm pan with butter break an egg into the hole cook for a minute flip and cook another minute. No broken yolks no tube.
I guess you can tell that I appreciate well made food and am not a big fan of Mickey D's

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

andy06shake

I'm sure the ones you make are awesome! So it's not exactly a clone now is it but rather an improvement?

Well, it is a clone of a 1970s or earlier Egg McMuffin. As with many products, Egg McMuffins have gotten a little cheaper over the years, i.e., margarine instead of butter, and a thinner slice of Canadian bacon.

The list of ingredients contained within the McMuffin total 50, most of which are not particularly good for you and some also do nasty things not only our digestive tract but also to the rest of our body.

It depends on how you break down the ingredients list.

Just pointing out the things that McDonalds put in there products are not exactly good for us!

McDonald's uses ordinary ingredients, fundamentally the same as what's available at your local grocery store. Their English muffins are just English muffins, their American cheese is just American cheese, their eggs come from a chicken like everybody else's, and so on. The currently fashionable McDonald's-phobia is based on myths.
edit on 3/25/2014 by MaximRecoil because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Try softening a stick of butter and then stir in two tablespoons of natural clover honey. Spread on toasted brown bread . Now you're talking.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Silly boy.
If you like the salty sweet taste try candied bacon.
Sprinkle brown sugar on bacon slices and put under the broiler until crispy. We're obviously not talking health food this morning.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

AutumnWitch657

Most people don't realize that butter does not need to be refrigerated. It won't last as long as refrigerated butter but it can be stored in a crock on the counter for days at a time. Look it up. I won a bet on this once. We keep our butter in the freezer and take it out one stick at a time but I do take it out of the fridge the night before for the morning toast. I have a covered butter crock. Melts better on warm toast and never rips the bread.

Butter can be left out for a few days, maybe a week, but it does contain milk solids and will go bad, and that will happen long before its fat content goes rancid. Clarified butter (no milk solids or water, just milk fat) will last as long as e.g. lard, and doesn't need to be refrigerated. It will go rancid eventually, like all fats will, but it is a matter of months at least.
edit on 3/25/2014 by MaximRecoil because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Oh if I could make their steak bagel.... my favorite.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Nice! Do you deliver? We Could do with a mc d's delivery service

<<   2 >>

join