It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House plan would end NSA’s bulk collection of Americans’ phone data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

The Obama administration is preparing legislation that would end the National Security Agency’s widespread collection of Americans’ phone data while, officials say, preserving the government’s ability to gain information about terrorists.

The legislation, senior officials say, would allow data about phone calls made to and from Americans to be kept with the phone companies. The companies would not be required to hold the data longer than they normally would.

The effort comes as the administration is up against a deadline set by President Obama in January, when he directed his subordinates to find a way to end the government’s mass collection of phone data, a program that has stirred controversy since it was revealed through a leak to the news media in June. He gave them until Friday to come up with options.

White House plan would end NSA’s bulk collection of Americans’ phone data

Multiple MSM links :

www.reuters.com...

www.politico.com...

www.reuters.com...

www.nytimes.com...

My take?... What is proposed looks to be the same as what folks were used to prior to the whistleblower SNowden's leaks that brought light to what the NSA is actually doing...

Conveniently, the FISA court will be the one's who decide to authorize future inquiries, should this proposal pass...

I can't help but this is an attempt to calm the storm of distrust between the citizens and the government.. it is almost shell game like IMO....

Should I believe this is a step forward? or just an attempt to appease those who will soon, once again believe that our gov't is working for the folks?

YMMV...

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
It'll all stay on file, whether the NSA/CIA admits to it or not. It's smoke and mirrors.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
My take?

Its like an abusive spouse, sure they say they are sorry for it now...

But let them get a little forgetfull, a little power drunk, the genies out of the bottle.

They grossly violated our rights, no amount of back peddling makes that better.

Those who allowed it, need to be held accountable, its that simple, and they wont.

So this will continue un-abated.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

This is what the plan will be........The sheep are not ready enough yet to handle this so we will wait a few more years until the investment we have in our youth being brainwashed with the progressive mindset pays off.

They will continue to do this only in secret. They push just hard enough to gauge the flocks reaction. Thankfully for the PTB the education system using progressive brainwashing will pay off big time in the future.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
It seems to me they could save a few trees, a few buckets worth of ink and a whole lot of staffer hours with interns that have better things to do than draft up legalese by the ream.

How about we try something entirely new and wild for a change? We could enforce the laws that currently prohibit U.S. military and civilian intelligence services from operating against United States citizens INSIDE the United States.

Of course, that would mean enforcing laws, and that would eventually lead to prosecutions and accountability, so it'll never happen in our real world. It would be the logical approach though, if we were looking to maintain the appearance of being a nation of law.

(thinks back to that distant time when law was our basis of values)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Exactly...

This move is almost comical, or is it... have most of the folks dropped off the radar to the point that this will be celebrated?

I hope not...

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Cute, Obama is trying to look better.

What about Five Eyes?

Taking back the illusion:

Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner Jr. (R-Wis.), who has co-sponsored competing legislation, said the Rogers-Ruppersberger bill “limits, but does not end, bulk collection.” He said that provisions in the draft “fall well short” of the safeguards in his bill.
-OP Source

"We'll know out disinformation is complete when when everything the American public believes is false" William Casey(CIA Director - staff meeting '81)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

That is why the founding fathers wanted a Republic ruled by laws and not a democracy. Problem is a republic ruled by law does not fit into the plan our masters have for us.

They can never gain complete control over the world until liberty is gone in the US. To get rid of liberty they will use the progressive mindset that is ripe for the picking. Slowly over time generation after generation will grow weaker of mind and body as the seed grows. Just look at how many young people are refusing to leave home and the amount of people that need a hand out. This is all planned.

When you do not have control over yourself you will always need to settle and this is what the PTB are counting on. I need my free phone or food card and as long as I get it I could care less about the cost.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Yes, Whitehouse plans always benefit citizens/sarc.

Considering phone data constitutes only a small percentage of information in todays society, they will probably just concentrate on all the internet and wifi and banking/purchase history stuff instead.

Disband the NSA, then I might start taking the WH seriously.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Should I believe this is a step forward?

NO. Can you honestly say that you believe anything these people say?? You think they have lied all this time and they're going just stop? They have lied repeatedly to the senate OVERSIGHT committee....the NSA is completely rogue...they are even spying on your politicians.

This is nothing more than a PR stunt....believe that

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TheForced

I think one president already tried reigning in the intelligence complex,

After another hugely embarrassing operation...

It didn't end well for him.

Take from that what you will.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
They can tell us anything they want to tell us, but we have zero means of verifying anything.

We are screwed.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
true or not, it does not go far enough. something along the lines of stopping the spying on ALL the people in the world would be a lot better.

spying on governments and their agencies, go to it since we all know they all do it to each other anyways. but no country should be spying on ordinary people outside of their own borders. if they want to spy on their own citizens, that is their affair i guess, if their people allow it who is anyone else to say differant. i would go so far as to say it should be considered an act of war, to spy on the citizens of a foreign nation. allowing both the governments as well as their people the right to employ any means necessary to stop it.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
It's too late, Obama could say he was completely dismantling the public spying program and they could publicly destroy the storage devices confirmed to contain everything... I still wouldn't believe it. It's simply too late. Any semblance of trust is totally gone. When I read they're not going to have access to phone calls what I think is they're simply intercepting the calls mid transit and making their own copy. If that's not happening then they'll file a court order for every call they wanted to listen to anyways.

Ultimately it doesn't matter who owns the data... the government or corporate america. Because the government is still getting access to it in the end, and even if they weren't they could easily pass the filtering algorithms off to the corporations and ask them to find anything interesting.

This is just an empty statement designed to placate people which enrages me even more rather than calms me.
edit on 25-3-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Exactly. Following existing laws would end NSA’s bulk collection of Americans’ phone data.

The white house proposal sounds like it would still degrade privacy protections in current law.

They should just enforce the current law but it looks like that's not going to happen.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The government will continue to gather bulk information and in my opinion refine the collection even further in order to create files on as many people as possible for one simple reason...because they can. Obama has no say on this, the intel community is above him.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

benrl
My take?

Its like an abusive spouse, sure they say they are sorry for it now...

But let them get a little forgetfull, a little power drunk, the genies out of the bottle.

They grossly violated our rights, no amount of back peddling makes that better.

Those who allowed it, need to be held accountable, its that simple, and they wont.

So this will continue un-abated.

So true!

The USA continues on as a malicious, manipulative, intrusive, rogue government. It has never REALLY had it's feet held to the fire or been forced to change, therefore it never will change.

They are merely making a public attempt at damage control WHILE continuing to do what they are doing. The mass of sheep in this country will say "see, our government works!" And those that know what really happens and are genuinely concerned will be made to look like crazies.

The fact of the matter is Frank Church warned Americans in the 1970s of the abuse of power of the NSA. It's finally been brought to light what they have been doing (albeit mostly recent stuff). No amount of legislation is going to change 40 years of abuse of power.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

It is my understanding that the data will still be collected, but it will be collected and stored on phone company servers so the NSA can use it when they want. This meets the two hop rule. So in essence nothing has changed other than storage location because the NSA is directly connected to their servers. They might have stopped but collection of our data hasn't even slowed down.

This is kind of like your wife asking you who you're talking to on the phone, and what your not going to tell her? The only difference is they don't ask and the process is much faster with no attitude.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Perhaps if the NDAA was scaled back or ended, I would believe this, but...
Everything he has said or done in the last 6 years that he would make better has all been much worse, and he can't seem to tell the truth, and now he wants to cut out the congress and let him and his staff do the legislating for the country? Ah, the brand new executive branch which is now also the legislature..How insane are these people? Maybe party hats and whistles for everyone are coming soon?

edit on 26-3-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

top topics

join