It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to. . .Uganda we go??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
The headline here reads: More U.S. Troops to Aid Uganda Search for Kony

That's Kony of "Kony 2012" fame. The same "Mr Kony" that leads a band of particularly nasty characters, even by African standards of unrest and inter-nation warfare, which go by the name of the Lord's Resistance Army. I'm not terribly kind in my words, after having gotten to know an American Missionary woman during my time at Occupy that had spent the previous couple years working with survivors from the LRA "militia" units. Children, in most cases. The 'rebels' in the movie Blood Diamond could well describe both public reports as well as what I can say I heard myself.

However, is this an American problem? Should it be an American job to police, even in an "advisor" role?

Well, lets have a look here at what is actually happening. The dateline here, by the way, is March 23, 2014. Not 2013, or 2012 or 2011. The earliest being when I met the former Missionary. This has been going on awhile....albeit fairly quiet.

WASHINGTON — President Obama is sending more troops and military aircraft to Uganda as part of a long-running effort to hunt down Joseph Kony, the fugitive rebel commander who is believed to have been hiding in the jungles of central Africa for years, a Defense Department official said on Sunday.

The president is sending several CV-22 Osprey aircraft, along with 150 Air Force Special Operations forces and other airmen, to join the American troops already in the region to help the Ugandan government find Mr. Kony.

It sounds modest enough, but for the fact it's been groups of similar size being added, subtracted and rotated around for a few years now. Oh....and it's not just Uganda our American forces will be flying around and chasing the LRA in. These are some particularly bad places on a continent which is, unfortunately, more familiar with war than peace for many of it's regions.

American forces will continue to advise and assist their counterparts in the African Union’s military task force tracking Mr. Kony and his Lord’s Resistance Army across Uganda, Central African Republic, South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of Congo. The Americans are forbidden to fight the L.R.A. themselves except in self-defense.
Source

I have to wonder at times. When is enough going to be enough? Will it ever be? When I saw this story, it reminded me of another I wrote in May of 2013.

Expanded US Combat Plans Across Africa??

Almost 1 year ago to the day, another story I'd written also rang a faint bell..so I went looking...

Another military intervention in Africa by .....France?

If you look again at my first set of quotes which form the story? The nation France was engaged in is among those covered by the American special operations people there and/or arriving.

The US public is tired of war. It's creeping up on nearly a decade and a half of it, and despite Afghanistan seemingly near a close, whether we like that or not, we're very much active in other places to keep the perpetual state of "them" to worry about somewhere, alive and well. Does it need to be with active troops?

Should the US still be trying to "get the bad guys" as is literally the case here, and nation build/advise in other areas of the world as we've always done? It seems a fair question in this time of being told we're facing hard choices and sacrifices as Americans...by those same people ordering the above on behalf of others, around the world.

Everyone ready to see how Africa plays out?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I think a typical response is that we should get out of Africa, once and for all. And, I wish that we could. It's a mess, but, like so many places in the world, it's a mess that we've not helped by our presence- to put it mildly.

There are a lot of issues, a lot of separate issues in Africa, that we have our fingers in, and it's all a lot more than I understand. I really think though that simply "stopping" our actions on the continent isn't really plausible, both in terms of safety and responsibility.

We're like a kid trying to hold together a piece of pottery we broke, if you let it go it will be super hard to glue together again, but holding it isn't going to fix anything.

But, as far as Kony goes....doesn't appear to be our business.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

"If you want peace, prepare for war"

Tired of war, maybe, but at this point in time, it's the same story, different day. Don't expect it to change in the next one hundred or two hundred years. Seems to be more human nature then not.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
as i recall the whole kony affair was discredited as kony hadn't actually been seen in years according to the people on the ground

It appears, though, that Invisible Children's support is only fighting fire with fire: They monetarily support soldiers and the Ugandan government in their attempts to defeat the LRA. Kony hasn't even been in Uganda for about six years.

Bloggers and other Internet users have done some investigative work, and revealed that Charity Navigator gave Invisible Children a two out of four stars rating in accountability because the group refuses to have its finances audited by a committee.

A troubling aspect of this campaign is the underlying hint of colonialism that many critics are calling attention to. As Americans, we feel some responsibility in solving this problem that doesn't occur within our borders. Are we feeling remorseful for the economic inequity that we solidified for Africa? President Obama sent 100 soldiers to central Africa, so this isn't a conflict totally removed from American spectrum.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

make that 8 years that article is from 2012

if this isn't a fraud like the installation of nazis in ukraine, incubator babies in kuwaite, wmds in iraq, osama in afgahnistan, the vote fraud convictions that put obama on the democratic ballot in the first place...

jeeze, now there is a run on sentence if i ever saw one...oooops
edit on Tueam3b20143America/Chicago00 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

eta
ALSO gotta demonize those christians too, for later..on the home front...
well, like the ones that the US funded alciaduh are slaughtering (John McCain's friends ) in syria...
coming soon to a theater near you...who is the next kony...ron paul, jesse ventura...alex jones?
edit on Tueam3b20143America/Chicago32 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Tueam3b20143America/Chicago01 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Tueam3b20143America/Chicago26 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Whats countries did General Wesley Clarks say were Bush's hit list to be taken out ??

“We’re going to take out seven countries in 5 years, starting with Iraq, and then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and, finishing off, Iran”

Iraq - done
Libya - done
Syria - in the process
SOMALIA -
SUDAN -
Iran - Working on it..

Sudan is Ugandas northern neighbour.
Somalia is Kenyas neighbour, and we have kenya onboard so its not a problem.

They need staging posts..and friends in the barrio.
edit on AM2Tue20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

funny how the US finally raced to find KONY after...

www.monitor.co.ug...

Oops.. it couldn't be about helping folks .. could it? /sarcasm

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   

andy1972

They need staging posts..and friends in the barrio.

I wonder sometimes how many deeds get done in directly by us with a quid pro quo, from leadership in these place we have such interest in.

What exactly did all these people we interfere with and for in these foreign lands that we send our young men and women to die in, Do exactly for us.

All that foreign aid, and troops lives have to have purchased some major favors off the books.
edit on 25-3-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   

I'm sure the military will find Kony, the same way they found Saddams WMDs.

My spidey sense is tingling for all the wrong reasons. Sure Kony is a monster but so was Idi Amin, and the US reaction to his regime was to pull out, so why the sudden change of heart? Because now it's all about the justice and has nothing to do with Africas untapped resources or Chinas expansion into the region.

Certain factions in the US are like a baby with a rattle; they don't want it until someone else has it.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Reading the OP sir,

There really is no satisfatory answer. "Damned if they don't, and be damned if they do".

"Damned if they don't": criticised as uncaring and supportive of Koni. Especially if innocents suffer.

"Damned if they do": always overkill. Especially if innocents suffer.

So then...mediocre. Not enough or too much! Where's the line mate! Tell us!

US president needs to stand up and publically state any of the reasons 'looking' into the camera. Then we will know the answer and some will nod yes either way. The statement/answer will not satisfy all but will be the line in the dirt where then a decision made from a leader can be critically debated.

What can the US do right??? ( is there anything without criticism or hatred for a country?)

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bally001

I think you hit on it best right there. He can stand up and say it, one way or another, and it can be the same thing he'll say next week, because he'll have said something similar in another situation last week.

I.E... He can stand on principle for once, where we'll know because it's a consistent thing that becomes downright predictable. Predictability is something Americans and, the larger problem, the world at large have not had. Even the few before Obama were predictable and had principles. All the wrong ones by as many as ever approved of them, but predictability and consistency are things I've come to see are critical at the level of nations.

You asked..and that's what I'd honestly say he could do or could have done up to now. Just say what he means....and mean what he says. A small thing...but so important when we simply never see it.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Seems that after the neo-cons last escapade in Ukraine they didn't know what to do so they spun their wheel of misfortune and unfortunately it stopped on Africa .I guess when you want to rule the earth then every place is a potential target . If this Koni fella is a animal and has been living in the jungle for years now ,wouldn't it be better to just leave him there ?.............. Or he may just be a trophy for the trophy hunters ....peace

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   

JacKatMtn

funny how they finally raced to find KONY
Oops.. it couldn't be about helping folks .. could it? /sarcasm

Thecakeisalie

I'm sure the military will find Kony, the same way they found Saddams WMDs.

My spidey sense is tingling for all the wrong reasons. Sure Kony is a monster but so was Idi Amin, now it's all about the justice and has nothing to do with Africas untapped resources or Chinas expansion into the region.

its about what it always been about

Heritage Oil Operations/Ownership

The CEOs

Executive Orders & Outcomes

Tullow Oil Bribery allegations

Uganda Find May Be Biggest in Region
edit on 25-3-2014 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by bally001

(I think you hit on it best right there. He can stand up and say it, one way or another, and it can be the same thing he'll say next week, because he'll have said something similar in another situation last week.

I.E... He can stand on principle for once, where we'll know because it's a consistent thing that becomes downright predictable. Predictability is something Americans and, the larger problem, the world at large have not had. Even the few before Obama were predictable and had principles. All the wrong ones by as many as ever approved of them, but predictability and consistency are things I've come to see are critical at the level of nations.

You asked..and that's what I'd honestly say he could do or could have done up to now. Just say what he means....and mean what he says. A small thing...but so important when we simply never see it.
)

A small part of my point sir,

I say in either way its 'too much' or 'not enough' and what ever is done in terms of reasonable is argued as mediocre nowadays in every situ the US finds itself in. Crikey mate, look at the news. Noone is satified with any news outlet or info until after the fact. It seems the US is behind every disaster, war, interference or natural occurence in some way or the other. This is boosted by many of those who cannot understand a decision as to yes/no or 'lets help in a small way.

People may not agree with their leaders decisions and we know at times some of those decisions are faulty or not agreed by a minority, but, instead of criticism, try backing and standbying the decision and work as a team. If it fails then the leader is sacked. We regret our mistakes and misgivings to others but there is a time where one person decides and goes with that judgement. Umming and arrhring (uncertainty) to decide peoples choices eventually leads to failure. Make the choice and act now.

Kind regards,

Bally

edit on 25-3-2014 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   

bally001

US president needs to stand up and publically state any of the reasons 'looking' into the camera. Then we will know the answer and some will nod yes either way. The statement/answer will not satisfy all but will be the line in the dirt where then a decision made from a leader can be critically debated.

I dare say if the POTUS came forth with a public statement it would have to come with a disclaimer:

"The views expressed by the president do not represent the views of his overlords or their affiliates"

edit on 25-3-2014 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
they should go and make kony burger out of him and the rest.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   

tsingtao
they should go and make kony burger out of him and the rest.

There you go. If they did that and young men got killed a 'large minority' would scream 'US murder of children'. The larger majority would stay silent for fear of the criticism. Hence the need for a mediocre approach. Anyways if Koni was detected and dispatched, whatever collateral damage was occasioned, the instigator would be blamed one way or the other.

Regards Bally

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   

You are smart enough to think outside the box. President Obama loves to give money to his friends in countries that are not our allies. Republicans will not give him money to do that. However, where our soldiers go our money goes. We are sending SpecOp teams and that means large untraceable stacks of cash for the local economy as well as the local politicians. We will also have to "rent" staging areas and security for air support and housing for those teams (when not in the field).

This isn't about Kony or saving child soldiers. It's about giving more tax payer dollars (and borrowed Chinese dollars) to people that hate Americans.

Just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
The position I`ve arrived at is "I`m against intervention, except in the very, very worst cases". So that would be a "No" for Crimea, a "No" for Iraq, but a "Yes" for North Korea and a "We should have intervened in Rwanda" and "We should have intervened earlier with Hitler". Is Kony of the aforementioned "yes" categories? I`m not so sure.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   

What's the point in sending more troops to find someone who's dead?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
This vid is absolute proof that msm is not only twisting the truth but creating the lies we see on the news www.informationclearinghouse.info... this is a new piece but has some other snips that we know already ...peace

top topics

<<   2 >>

join