It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada has possible Ebola case: health officials

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
What if it has reached the North American continent? This could be scary!

A man returning to Canada from Liberia is seriously ill in hospital after experiencing symptoms consistent with the Ebola virus that has killed dozens in Guinea, health officials have said.

The man has been placed in solitary confinement pending the expected results on Tuesday of tests on his condition. His family are in quarantine in Saskatchewan province, the local health ministry said in a statement.

"A diagnosis has not yet been confirmed. Measures have been taken to isolate the patient to ensure the illness is not transmitted," the ministry said.

In the following quote from the story they use the term "the casualty" instead of the patient, etc. Is that normal? It's like they are already pronouncing him dead...

The casualty had been in Liberia but developed the symptoms after landing in Canada and would not have been contagious when in transit, she said.

"The information that we have now is this person was not ill when he travelled," Werker added. "People are not very contagious in the incubation period. There is also a possibility this person has another disease."

Well, I hope they're right and they have it contained. But, what if they don't?

Link
edit on 24-3-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
We have better medical treatment facilities in North America. Not really worried about it. Ebola spreads easily because of the conditions it is in.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimpintology

But,

To date, no treatment or vaccine is available for the Ebola pathogen, which kills between 25 and 90 percent of those who fall sick, depending on the strain of the virus, according to the World Health Organization.

(quoted from the Yahoo News story)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Pimpintology
We have better medical treatment facilities in North America. Not really worried about it. Ebola spreads easily because of the conditions it is in.

I'm not sure I fully understand your intent.....are you saying that because we have 'good' healthcare(which is highly debatable) we are not at risk, or because it wouldn't spread through our population because it is 'controllable' with our medical science?......give you give a bit more detail to your scoffing off this report?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I thought they said its not ebola?i may be wrong but ebola has been ruled out in Guinnea. Its something else.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

tinker9917

But,

To date, no treatment or vaccine is available for the Ebola pathogen, which kills between 25 and 90 percent of those who fall sick, depending on the strain of the virus, according to the World Health Organization.

(quoted from the Yahoo News story)

As long as nobody comes into direct contact with his body fluids there is no danger to the general public, It's not airborne.

It's a very deadly fast killer, which is why it can be easy to contain.

If it had a long incubation period or was contagious while asymptomatic I would be worried, but it's not as scary as the movies make it out to be. Unless you're unlucky enough to get it somehow, then I'm sure it's terrifying.

TB on the other hand can remain active in dried sputum for up to 6 months if not exposed to direct sunlight. And it's making a comeback in the western world due to immigration.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
I thought they said its not ebola?i may be wrong but ebola has been ruled out in Guinnea. Its something else.

According to the story it's ebola

Aid workers and health officials in Guinea are battling to contain west Africa's first outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus, after neighboring Liberia reported its first suspected victims.

Yahoo News

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
According to this its not m.bbc.co.uk...
Ebola is scary but an unknown is even worse!

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Hmmmmmmm

tinker9917

As long as nobody comes into direct contact with his body fluids there is no danger to the general public, It's not airborne.

and between humans by direct contact with blood, feces or sweat, or by sexual contact and the unprotected handling of contaminated corpses.

So, as long as they don't have an open cut on their hand, they are not sweating, and washed their hands after going to the bathroom, I'm safe to touch that doorknob or ink pen the just touched

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
hummm . .

maybe FEMA will put good use to them coffins now eh?

on a more serious note, i have a feeling that everyting gona be ayerie ;-)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Did you say where in Canada?? I am interested..

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaimless

Saskatchewan province

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Ebola is hemorrhagic, mostly from mucus membranes, so it's victim's don't need open wounds to infect others, it can be quite bloody. If you have an open wound and come into contact with a person under active infection, then yes you could get it. But once they become symptomatic they don't get around well. And your odds of ever encountering an active Ebola case here outside of a medical facility are almost zero.

But if the caregivers take proper precautions the chance of becoming infected is very slim.

It spreads easily in African crapholes because hygiene and clean water are rare. In a North American hospital it would be easy to contain.

I don't remember how long it is viable outside of a host, but I don't think it's very long.

I was a combat medic in the Army for 20 years, and we studied OCONUS (outside contiguous United States) biological threats, but's been a while.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Hmmmmmmm

Ebola is hemorrhagic, mostly from mucus membranes, so it's victim's don't need open wounds to infect others, it can be quite bloody. If you have an open wound and come into contact with a person under active infection, then yes you could get it. But once they become symptomatic they don't get around well. And your odds of ever encountering an active Ebola case here outside of a medical facility are almost zero.

But if the caregivers take proper precautions the chance of becoming infected is very slim.

It spreads easily in African crapholes because hygiene and clean water are rare. In a North American hospital it would be easy to contain.

I don't remember how long it is viable outside of a host, but I don't think it's very long.

I was a combat medic in the Army for 20 years, and we studied OCONUS (outside contiguous United States) biological threats, but's been a while.

I see your point,,, if I encountered someone with blood coming from every hole in their head I'd be running as fast as I could the other direction.

I'm glad to hear from someone with a bit of training on this. But it still scares me!!

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Meh I'm not worried.

Canada is good at two things.

Bureaucracy and Medicine.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

Meh I'm not worried.

~Tenth

Just where in Canada do they get good medicine?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

literally anywhere.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

Meh I'm not worried.

~Tenth

You must be setting some pretty low standards when it comes to bureaucracy LOL. Try doing an FOIA request on yourself with CSIS and tell me how that works out ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
"The information that we have now is this person was not ill when he travelled," Werker added. "People are not very contagious in the incubation period. There is also a possibility this person has another disease."

Well, I hope they're right and they have it contained. But, what if they don't?

Link

What if he was ill while traveling? Do you think they would tell everyone on the plane,in the airport ,or anyone he may have came in contact with or would they say they have it contained to not create a mass panic and just hope they are right ?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Warning Shot Across The Bow?

Stay Tuned.

S&F

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join