It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge: "Washington must find rooms for homeless families out in cold"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
If we just got rid of the crazy progressive tax system and did a 25% flat tax we would have more money to spend every year than the Prez wants in the latest budget.

It just seems a lot like the government isn't really trying to help people as much as they are trying to help their own pockets. Now where did I put that Bilderberg Meeting attendee's list...

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

JohnPhoenix

doubletap
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Since DC isnt technically a state, it doesnt have a Constitution for itself like states do, therefore the U.S. Constitution is what DC abides by. That being said, states themselves can not pass laws that violate the federal Constitution.

Ya know.. this is the second time you mentioned this "Federal Constitution" I cannot find a copy of this document. Got a link?

Surly you don't mean the same document as we call The Constitution of (or for) The United States of America?
edit on 24-3-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

I'm just trying to understand you here.. so what your saying is, " Since DC isnt technically a state, it doesnt have a Constitution for itself like states do, therefore the U.S. Constitution is what DC abides by. That being said, states themselves can not pass laws that violate the U.S. Constitution.

O.k... so, the ways you use the terms earlier seemed to denote they were two different constitutions when they are not.

I'm asking, under what provision does the US Constitution have that allows non states like DC to be legally bound to it? Or is it the other way around.. DC has the say?

Most Law or at least maritime code goes by strict legal jargon, as in the above example many folks believe the Of or For in the " Constitution of/for the United States " changes the meaning of the document completely. I'm sure someone dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's. How did this become ratified for DC I guess is what I'm asking. Was this the job of the 13 member DC council?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

From Article 1 Section 8:

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the answer.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

The United States has spent $20 trillion on the welfare state so far.
reply to post by greencmp

You know what...you're right. It's all the fault of the poor. Take their kids and make the parents live in a box. That'll teach them for being lazy good for nothing drains on the economy.

It's times like these that I get down on my knees and thank the creator that I'm not an American.

Best of luck to you

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

Getting your children back would be a hell of a motivator for people to get their lives back together.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

deadcalm

The United States has spent $20 trillion on the welfare state so far.

You know what...you're right. It's all the fault of the poor. Take their kids and make the parents live in a box. That'll teach them for being lazy good for nothing drains on the economy.

It's times like these that I get down on my knees and thank the creator that I'm not an American.

Best of luck to you

Remember that 85% of every dollar intended to do something is consumed by the administration of the program.

Now, we can do a much better job as people in society to offer a helping hand than that.

For all of its astonishing waste, maintaining a military is one of the few constitutional responsibilities that the federal government actually has.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Now, we can do a much better job as people in society to offer a helping hand than that.

For all of its astonishing waste, maintaining a military is one of the few constitutional responsibilities that the federal government actually has.

Whatever mate...you think whatever you like. The Constitution seems to only be an issue when it comes to the poor or your guns. They can shred the rest of it and nobody cares.

As for that helping hand from society..just read the comments on this thread...I`m not seeing a whole lot of charity here.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Getting your children back would be a hell of a motivator for people to get their lives back together.
reply to post by doubletap

Of course...your absolutely correct.

Take their kids until the parents wise up...and if they don`t or can`t because your economy is in shreds and only getting worse...too bad for them and the kids....after all...what value is their in a family staying together if they can`t pay?

What happened to you Americans that stripped you of your humanity??

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   

deadcalm

The Tea Party and hate radio mixed in with a little holier than thou? Just a guess.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

deadcalm

I was about to make a post expressing my utter disgust at the way some Americans view their fellow man, the 'dog-eat-dog' attitude that has stripped many Americans of empathy for their neighbours and fellow countrymen - but the above post sums it up nicely I think.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   
"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

Nuff said.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Domo1
reply to post by Pimpintology

Don't have kids if you expect the rest of us to pay for them.

If we can't all agree that letting people freeze to death = bad I'm worried.

This is not about letting anyone freeze to death, you are exaggerating the issue.

These people sued not because there were not any accommodations for homeless families, but because those warm and toasty accommodations were not private rooms..

The way I see it, that is the definition of a frivolous suit. The city was providing a warm place, that place just wasn't good enough for them, according to them.

I believe that they had a definite feeling of entitlement, if not, they would be grateful their children had a warm place to sleep and a hot meal at all. I have been homeless, you are grateful for those things when you are.. unless you happen to think the world owes you something...
edit on 25-3-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   

deadcalm

Three generations of societal leeches. An exponentially growing dependent class. Half of the country's population with a mindset and belief that their job is to reproduce and someone else "needs to take responsibility for these kids".

It's easy to see how humanity is eroded and tossed to the wayside when our children's future is being pissed away. It's easy to understand where the anger comes from when a person has to work overtime make ends meet while the neighbor hasn't had a job in 20 years and eats steak 4 nights a week.

Humanity is a lofty thing. It is an ideal that rests with men and women that still have something to lose. Unfortunately, many in America do not feel as though they do. Hence humanity is not a strong suit with many of us.
edit on 25-3-2014 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Washington has about 42 million acres of land. 1/3 of that land is owned by the government. Maybe there wouldn't be so many homeless if there was land for them to occupy. Or maybe the govt could dedicate a few of the acres they hoard to the homeless to build shelters and gardens.

We have wild life refuges. Why not wild people refuges?

Of course the answer is, the govt cant make money off a self sustaining community. And, if the wild people refuge actually worked, 1/2 of America would be wanting to leave the "rat race" to join them.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

And this is not about Americans not helping one another. We are more than willing as a society to do that.

Once I ran into a man with a little girl, they were homeless and trying to find a shelter because a really bad storm had come up and it was cold. The storm came with reasonable suddenness, and of course if your homeless you don't have the luxury of listening to the morning news reports every day.

This man did not have a phone, so I sat with him and we used my phone to try and find him and his daughter a shelter to go to. Well, it was late and all the shelters were full because of the storm.

Now, at the time I was single and living alone, and as a woman who is alone inviting some strange man into your home is terrifying to say the least, but his manner, plus the fact he had a daughter made me decide to invite him to come and sleep in my living room that night.

As an American I made sure that this man and his daughter were okay, and had a hot meal and a warm place to go. He took me up on the offer just as reluctantly as I made it. And he was gone the next morning after breakfast. He was a person down on his luck and I was happy to be of help to him that night.

Now, I DO NOT recommend women doing what I did that night, but I am not the only person who has ever helped a needy person in whatever way they could.

The problem is when people start expecting the government to provide every single need and want to the lower classes. This is ignorant, and not the way to run a country effectively. This is NOT what the government is there for, nor what government should be about. People need to start taking responsibility for themselves, and communities will go back to looking out for each other once more, just like they once did. The government needs to stay out of it all, they are there to run government, not provide handouts.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

deadcalm

As for that helping hand from society..just read the comments on this thread...I`m not seeing a whole lot of charity here.

Did it ever occur to you that there would be more charitable giving if the government wasnt acting outside of its authority by engaging in wealth redistribution under the guise of a "social safety net"?

When people keep more of their income, they give more.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Kryties

I was about to make a post expressing my utter disgust at the way some Americans view their fellow man, the 'dog-eat-dog' attitude that has stripped many Americans of empathy for their neighbours and fellow countrymen - but the above post sums it up nicely I think.

Empathy, Compassion, and "humanity"....

All words people like to throw around when it comes to spending other peoples money.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

CranialSponge
"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

Nuff said.

Would that be the racist, wife and child abusing hypocrite Ghandi that you are quoting?

really?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Did it ever occur to you that there would be more charitable giving if the government wasnt acting outside of its authority by engaging in wealth redistribution
reply to post by doubletap

I just posted this thread....maybe you should have a look and then we can talk about where your wealth redistribution problem REALLY is.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The poor are not the problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join