It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epic Winter Storm Hits Atlantic Canada on Wednesday. Stock Up!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
For those that need to know:
50 cm = 19.685 inches

This is going to be a bitch folks.

I'm on the East Coast. Just wanting to warn people of what's coming. The chat around town is whether it's coming or not as we all know that things change here every minute and that chat has been ongoing for a week. Well, it's coming...hard.

"An intense and dangerous Nor'easter is forecast to impact Atlantic Canada midweek with heavy amounts of precipitation, very strong and damaging winds and pounding surf/storm surge," Vaswani says. "Wind-related impacts will be the greatest effect of this Nor’easter. Models consistently indicating rapid cyclogensis (deepening of the low) leading to dangerous winds combined with heavy snowfall. Blizzard conditions likely for portions of Atlantic Canada Wednesday through Friday morning."

Coastal flooding could also be an issue with sea ice being pushed onshore. "Power outages are possible as well as the wind field with this system is extensive," warns Vaswani.

"This is likely the most powerful storm of the winter/spring 2013-2014 season and if this were summer, we would likely be identifying this system as a Tropical Storm."

Compared to a tropical storm if it were summer, we are in for a serious winter Smack Down.

Severe watches in effect for:

Fourchu Head
North Mountain (Cape Breton)
Parrsboro
Halifax (Shearwater)
New Glasgow
Caribou
Beaver Island
Shelburne
Baccaro Point
Kejimkujik (National Park)
North East Margaree
Baddeck
St. Peter's
Hart Island
Halifax
Digby
Brier Island
Western Head
Liverpool
Grand Étang
Chéticamp
Ingonish
Windsor
Kentville
Lunenburg
Bridgewater
Sheet Harbour
Malay Falls
Amherst
Port Hawkesbury
Tracadie
Antigonish
Cape George
Guysborough
Yarmouth
Sydney
Annapolis Royal
Greenwood
Bridgetown
Tatamagouche
Truro
Economy

In other-words...The entire East Coast.
atlantic.ctvnews.ca...

Some are calling for another "White Juan"

Now, I Don't care who has problems with this guy reporting the weather (in fact if you have problems...I have a problem with you) but my guy has our best interest at heart. In fact, I've searched for news casts to tell us about what's coming but everyone is ignoring it. So many have no inkling of what is coming but he has it on the ball. My guy has called it every time:

The bitch is going to hit hard on WEDNESDAY so stock up on TUESDAY. I'm in the retail business and am seeing the shelves go bare right now.
www.theweathernetwork.com...

This is spring, right?

Peace

edit on 24-3-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
makes me want to go out and stock up...and I an not even close

oh yes lots of snowwww

edit on 053131p://f30Monday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Omg you posted Frankie!
Yep not looking forward to digging out of this. Heard the name " white juan" thrown around the radio this morning in comparison. So much for spring.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I love this guy, I've seen him a few times with his weather reports. He reminds me of Marty on the mountain, a weather forecaster for WMTW News in Maine. Could Marty possibly be his father?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
This late in the season, that's going to be heavy snow, too.

Take care everyone! Have you considered Mexico? Just a thought...

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Yikes, You all know the to-do list, get it done before the unprepared panic. Be smart and take care

ETA: and take a drink everytime he says "snow" in that report...hehe
edit on 24-3-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
French Toast Alert! French Toast Alert! Hit the store now!

(eggs, milk, bread)

Batten down the hatches and stay safe and warm.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
When i heard frankie's report yesterday I ran right out to the nslc and stocked up. oh and i got some extra food and stuff as well (priorities right?) too bad i have to work in it regardless of how bad this is going to be.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Blah, I'm up in St John's and we just got dumped on with at least 12 inches or so. And we'll be getting blasted with that same storm as you to some degree (maybe not as severe).

Spring my ass. Time to stock up on beer and ride it out.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by w8tn4it

I was born and raised in Maine, haven't thought of Marty in many years. I remember how he end his broadcast with that ear to ear grin of his. Thanks for the memories.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm sorry but I don't get it. I live in New Brunswick and we're supposed to get it here too....no big deal for people inland but a problem for potential floods near the shores. What is it that people always have to stock up for every event going as if it's to last for weeks or something. I don't buy a slice of bread and one egg everyday for groceries. It's only going to be dirty for a day/night and that will be it. Maybe i'm used to that kind of severe winter storms, being originally from the north of Quebec. Just my take on it and don't panic..... the sun will rise again the next day! cheers
edit on 24-3-2014 by openedeyesandears because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by openedeyesandears

I don't buy a slice of bread and one egg everyday for groceries. It's only going to be dirty for a day/night and that will be it

Well. good luck to you/ Keep counting on the Momma bird supplying the masses.

One Day...Momma ain't gonna return to the nest. Maybe you're ok for today. But what about 2, 3, 4 Days. Still ok?

Time to be self sufficient. Where are your supplies coming from anyways?

Peace

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well if anyone can handle bad weather, it is you Maritimers. Some of the hardest working, toughest stock I have ever had the pleasure to spend time with.

Stay safe,

AX
FTNWO

edit on 24-3-2014 by AlphaExray because: spacing issues

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by openedeyesandears

It's all about the potential. The storm is calling for up to 50 mph winds. Winds being that strong can bring down trees and large branches which can block roads add to that a foot or more of snow and you won't be going anywhere for a few days maybe more depending on conditions.

Isn't it better to be prepared for the worse than be part of the unprepared that will be panicking?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Hi!
So that's what happened! I guess we dodged the bullet!
Looks like it will still be almost fully loaded when it gets to you!!!

We had the 'potential' earlier, but now the last I heard,
they were mostly talking about Cape Cod. (Pennsylvania here.)

They don't prognosticated days ahead like they did at the beginning of winter!
Too many changed course on them!
Now they say..."of course it's still too far out to give a definite forecast..."
Two models give different outlooks. Way to cover their butts no matter what!!!

That's funny about Wednesdays.
One year when our kids were little they had off of school
every Tuesday & Wednesday, or Wednesday & Thursday for weeks in a row.
I had forgotten all about that 'til I read your link!
In March of '93 we had our second biggest snowfall...3 feet in less than 2 days!

Our oldest son's teacher asked the class what their favorite songs were.
One boy said the theme song on the Weather Channel,
because when he heard it, he knew school was going to be cancelled!!!

Hopefully it won't be as bad for you as they think!
We are finally going to warm up here. (If they don't change the forecast!)
50's later in the week & up to 61 by next Monday!!!
Yay! I hope it's happens! I'm sooo ready this year!
WOQ
edit on 24-3-2014 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Oh boy, I live in Maine and heard about a storm coming up but didn't realize how big it might get. I better stock up and bring in some wood.

Thanks for the heads up OP!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Places with annual snowfall are nice to be from, or to visit on vacation... But to live in a place and have to deal with snow regularly is definitely not for me.

Best of luck, stay safe!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Updated from the weather network,my area to get 40+ cm snow,and hurricane force winds of 120km. Good grief. Feel sorry for the folks in Newfoundland expecting 160km winds. No worries,I see Nova Scotia Power is all set to deal with the power outages...* blows raspberries.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

AccessDenied
Updated from the weather network,my area to get 40+ cm snow,and hurricane force winds of 120km. Good grief. Feel sorry for the folks in Newfoundland expecting 160km winds. No worries,I see Nova Scotia Power is all set to deal with the power outages...* blows raspberries.

We just got an update as well:

Along the Coast 50 cm minimum and 100kmh winds.

We will be at a stand still tomorrow.

Peace

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

We've gotten so much snow this season... this one isnt even making me flinch.

thanks for the heads up though. Were supposed to get snow today but eh... nothing yet.
edit on 3/25/2014 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join