It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloak: The "Anti-Social" App

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Cloak works by pulling in geo-data from people’s Instagram and Foursquare accounts, pinning users down to whichever street they’re posting from (and thereby enabling you to dodge them completely).

New Cloak App

Personally, I like the idea - I think we can all relate to bumping in to people we'd rather not have to see, but all it seems to be is another app that wants information about you and people you associate with, as well as a way of keeping track of who is interacting with whom.

“We’ve all adapted to a culture of sharing everything on the Internet, so Cloak just piggybacks on that, and offers a little privacy in the real world. It fits in quite perfectly,” muse Baker and Moore. And 23-year-old anti-socialite Emily Ray agrees: “This app is ideal. The deluge of social media sites now available to us means that every part of our lives is now up for grabs, and that everyone knows each other’s business. There are certainly a lot of people I’d love to steer clear of!”

Who knows - maybe it will take off and be a popular thing. I personally find too many apps make life too complicated; on my phone I have a guitar tuner and that's about it. It seems to me the two quotes I posted kind of contradict themselves - on one hand it's stated that the app will provide some privacy... at the expense of information from your social media accounts and your whereabouts whenever you post. Just one more reason IMO to, if you use social media, take a look at just what your posting and whether you really want certain parts of your life available to the public.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The only privacy I want is the kind that keeps the NSA out of my business. If this can't do it, then I don't care.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This doesn't sound like cloaking. It sounds like ducking.

I could get down with a real cloaking/anit-social app.

You got me all excited with the title for a second
waaaah.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
An app that knows everything about us, including our friends and even exes, provides privacy?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmikDebris

The only reason there is too much information on social media sites, is because every narcissistic, self important twit posts every burp, fart, stupid opinion and garbage thought that pops out of them. How I long for the late 70's and early 80's when only intelligent life swam in the sea of electrons.

Just looking at crap like facebook, twitter, etc. you have know right off the hop that they are intelligence community constructs. We didn't need Manning or Asange or Snowden to figure that out.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Best way to avoid social media sites - DONT sign up to them .. if your not registered they cant track you or use it against you .. best way to maintain what one can of ones privacy in a world full of damn busybodies poking their noses into everything ..

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
"Anti-social behavior is a sign of intelligence in a world of conformists". - Nikola Tesla

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

InvisibleOwl
An app that knows everything about us, including our friends and even exes, provides privacy?

Yeah this sounds more like a stalkers dream app than one to save people from it.

top topics

join