It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Change: The Polar Bear is Us

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

lostbook
My worry is that the PTB will wait until the last second before they try to do anything. However, I think it will be too late by then. They're making too much money.

That is possibly their main strategy. On the last second you can move away from taking the responsibility. No one cares anymore who is responsible for it, but people want solutions to the problems.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

OK, so I understand i'm going to be slammed by and cussed by,,,, but this is all Bull %hit!

They are only Preaching the Gospel of Gore because there's Money to be made.
Here is a little from your article your referring too.

If you think of climate change as a hazard for some far-off polar bears years from now, you're mistaken.

"The polar bear is us," says Patricia Romero Lankao of the federally financed National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo., referring to the first species to be listed as threatened by global warming due to melting sea ice.

OK, Al Gore what ever you say!

She will be among the more than 60 scientists in Japan to finish writing a massive and authoritative report on the impacts of global warming. With representatives from about 100 governments at this week's meeting of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, they'll wrap up a summary that tells world leaders how bad the problem is.

I suppose she wasn't part of this crew!! They went to an area that was suppose to be ice free because of ,,, get this,,, Climate Change!!!!

Link to your article
Now a little insight in to other articles that people never read. Human CO2 just not a big deal at Pine Island Glacier.

Scientists at the British Antarctic Survey say that the melting of the Pine Island Glacier ice shelf in Antarctica has suddenly slowed right down in the last few years, confirming earlier research which suggested that the shelf’s melt does not result from human-driven global warming.

It was only five years ago in December that Al Gore claimed that the polar ice caps would be completely melted by now. But he might be surprised to find out that Arctic ice coverage is up 50 percent this year from 2012 levels.
“Some of the models suggest that there is a 75 percent chance that the entire north polar ice cap, during some of the summer months, could be completely ice-free within the next five to seven years,” Gore said in 2008.

Feeling chilly? Here’s cold comfort: You could be in East Antarctica which new data says set a record for “soul-crushing” cold.
Try 135.8 degrees Fahrenheit below zero; that’s 93.2 degrees below zero Celsius, which sounds only slightly toastier. Better yet, don’t try it. That’s so cold scientists say it hurts to breathe.
A new look at NASA satellite data revealed that Earth set a new record for coldest temperature recorded. It happened in August 2010 when it hit -135.8 degrees. Then on July 31 of this year, it came close again: -135.3 degrees.

Antartic ice shelf
I know this is more than you wanted to read and more information that Al Gore wants you to have.
But at lest look at this list:

If you get your news from the likes of The Huffington Post and the New York Times here are some stories about Global Warming that occurred in 2013 that you probably never heard of.

1. Antarctic Global Warming Expedition Ship Trapped in Sea Ice. You may have heard about the Russian vessel trapped 100 miles away from land in 10 feet thick ice in Antarctica and how three ice breakers have failed to rescue it. What you may not have heard is this ship is filled with Climate Scientists studying Global Warming. They are comparing data from 100 years ago when there was no sea ice in the same location.

2. Yachts Trapped in Sea Ice in the Arctic Last Summer. You probably didn’t hear about all the yachts, sailboats, rowboats, and kayaks that got trapped by sea ice while trying to sail the fabled Northwest Passage. They were promised an ice free passage.

3. Global Sea Ice at Record Levels. Al Gore and John Kerry 5 years ago predicted that 2013 would be ice free in the arctic. You probably haven’t heard that the exact opposite came true. 2013 is currently at the second highest volume of sea ice ever recorded and will probably break the all time record before the season is over.

4. Half of Meteorologists Don’t Believe in Global Warming. Nearly half of meteorologists and atmospheric science experts don’t believe that human activities are the driving force behind global warming, according to a survey by the American Meteorological Society.

5. Only 75 “Climate Scientists” Believe in Global Warming. You probably have heard ad nauseum that 97% percent of “Climate Scientists” believe in global warming. That stat was based on a study which counted only 75 of 77 “Climate Scientists”. Compared to the over 31,000 scientists who have signed a petition saying they don’t believe in Global Warming. That’s only 2.3 in 1,000 or .23% of scientists that actually believe in Global Warming.

6. NASA caught fudging historical temps to make it look like the globe is warming. By massively cooling the past in their recent graphs, NASA has exaggerated the amount of warming they report by nearly twice as much as they did 13 years ago.

7. Polar Bar Population at Record Levels. Since we’ve been keeping count the Polar Bear population is estimated at a record high of 20k to 25k. 5,000 are expected to be born around the New Year in Russia alone.

8. Obama Allows Wind Farms to Kill Eagles Without Penalties. Over 50 years ago the green movement started with the book “Silent Spring” which alleged that DDT was killing the Bald Eagle. Now we have come full circle by allowing wind power companies to kill eagles without penalty because it’s “good for the planet”.

9. The Oceans Aren’t Rising. Remember in 2009 when the officials of the Maldives held a press conference under water to show that their islands were sinking because of global warming. Well a new study done in 2013 shows that there is nothing to worry about.

10. 2013 Was The Least Extreme U.S. Weather Year Ever. 2013 shatters the record for fewest U.S. tornadoes, 15% lower than previous record. 2013 also had the fewest U.S. forest fires since 1984.

11. No Global Warming For Over 17 Years. The RSS monthly global mean lower-troposphere temperature anomalies for November 1996 to October 2013 had shown no global warming for exactly 204 months – the first dataset to show the full 17 years without warming specified by Ben Santer as showing the models got it wrong.

Link

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

buster2010

tencap77
reply to post by buster2010

The "theory" of global warming might be hard to "fix" because, well,

Global warming is part of nature and have been proven because it has happened many times. What is questionable is mankind effect on global warming and if it is causing it to speed up. Maybe it would help if you actually understood what you were talking about.

Hey, if I don't know what I'm talking about, then you missed the clue i left in my first post. Strativarius. It is purported that the reason this type of violin sounds the way it does is because the wood it is made from is "denser" than usual. the density is surmised to have been caused by the "little ice age" in Europe. Also known as the "Dark" ages. I understand that the planet has a mean temperature that changes over time, and that this can be caused by many external influences, like changes to the labrador current, geodedic precession, and average mean cloud cover/radiational cooling and even the density of dust and gas in the part of the milky way arm that we are currently careening through. I would say the polar bear and myself have one thing in common. we'll both be blessed if we stick around long enough to see the next great event in human history (World War II being the last, this cannot be debated), and that would be the advent of COMMERCIAL SPACE FLIGHT for humans. Yes, I don't know what I'm talking about, but then again, I don't use copyrighted images for my avatars either.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Based on studies in Greenland, the situation is much worse and progressing much faster than previously thought. Same in Alaska.

The Greenland ice sheet is melting at an alarming rate

This is no longer a debate, and this is not a drill.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

tencap77
reply to post by buster2010

The "theory" of global warming might be hard to "fix" because, well, there is no PROOF it exists in the first place. polar bears would still dissappear, even if there weren't any angry monkeys around to build really cool things like oil wells and atomic reactors. polar bears are adopted to live in a specific climate and a specific eco-system. they could be wiped out by something as common as geodedic precession or kim kardashian! The Earth is ALREADY dead. That's not a theory. we pretty much know what happens to stars and whats going to happen to our own. the Universe is pretty big, the Mysterious Hand of the Divine made it that way for a reason. angry monkey needs room to spread out. no theory there. angry monkey also knows a bout somethng called "cloning". polar bear should be nice to angey monkey. polar bear can't hold test tube. polar bear can't run centerfuge. polar bear can't do genetic engineering. polar bear CAN be genetically engineered. yeah, pollution is bad. want clean energy? build lots more reactors, nuclear power. totally safe when you don't have reactors that are designed by GE or run by union hacks. angry monkey leearns from its mistakes. angry monkey knows Earth is already dead. angry monkey knows we have to leave. if an angry monkey can understand that, why can't the knuckelheads at ducks unlimited?

It's not about Global Warming, it's about Climate Change. In the OP, I used the term "Climate Change" because the climate is changing: Warmer in places, Cooler in other places. Earth isn't dead; not yet. It's just your imagination.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Fact
The planet is 1.8F warmer than it was pre-industrialization.

Fact
The Arctic is melting.

Fact
The climate has changed.

Fact
Many things cause the planet to warm or cool.

Fact
The warming or cooling of the planet causes climate to change.

Fact
Greenhouse gases trap heat by disallowing solar irradiance to escape back into space.

Fact
Greenhouse gasses have caused the planet to warm previously in Earth's long history.

Fact
Humans are causing greenhouse gases to build up in the atmosphere in our recent past and our present.

Fact
Humans are causing greenhouse gas warming.

Fact
It's not the sun.

Fact
The other planets are not all warming.

Fact it's not the Milankovitch cycle. (our current position should be giving us a slight cooling.

Fact
Scientists are not paid to push agendas.

Fact
The denialist mouth pieces are paid better than scientists are.

Fact
The denialist mouth pieces aren't climate scientists.

Fact
Most denialist mouth pieces aren't scientists at all.

Fact
Most denialist mouth pieces are paid very well by Fossil Fuel Cartels.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

How do I give your reply 10,000 stars, 20,000 flags and 50,000 atta boys? When they couldn't sell "Global Warming" because of it's specificity then they called it "Climate Change". Then any attribute associated with weather can be trumpeted from the BS pulpit of control and greed. You know the same Control & Greed crowd that is currently running the country, don't you know they can manage this make believe problem better? Anyone that believes what the government has to say about anything without quadruple fact checking, lie detector testing, waterboarding, and a few aura readings, is nothing but a mindless drone programed to promote the lie.

We have been hearing for 20 years of climate problems that have never arrived. By my accounts I should be under water, overheated, and frozen by now.

Thanks guohua for getting it right with good humor!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Fact:
Polar bears farts contribute to global warming.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
In Africa many big land species are disappearing (dying out) because more and more people come and they must find ways (as always) to survive. Also when the climate changes more, they can't move the colder or warmer parts (humans need space (housing, agriculture, every piece of land is almost ''owned & payed for''!), animals just can't move (except birds) where they want anymore (so the last surviving (& mainly bigger animals in the wild) will not be able to cope the change (goodbye).

Of course you could say this has happened many times in the past where animals died out (also in Europe where there are no more Elephants or Lions. (same argument for ''changing weather'' (don't worry it happened before, right?!!).

Europe was almost 1 big forest once but we needed wood and lots of it since wood was like oil today.

The only thing that will happen is that people will argue with ''I'm right!'', ''I don't believe it!''.. which isn't interesting really what ''you believe!''.

But yea nothing will be done (which is meaningful at least) so just watch the ''show'' and be happy that you don't have kids (if that's the case).

Plants, Animals, Fish share all the same space - everything is interconnected.. even we humans (which has sadly has become a plague for the other connected parts on this planet.
edit on 25-3-2014 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join