It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norwegian Gamer Hospitalized After Drinking 4 Liters of Energy Drink

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
wow, that is bloody terrible...

it's a game....a f**king game...it ain't worth this..

f**k's sake, what the hell is wrong with kids these days?

energy drinks are mostly crap anymore anyway...red bull and monster taste like piss, i never even bothered with rockstar, because..well f**k them, that's why....i used to drink AMP when it was in the little tiny cans, and only had one flavor; awesome.

and i used to drink bawls on occasion, because it's tasty...i can't afford either anymore, once in a while, if i can find them, and i have a couple of bucks, i'll indulge. most of the time though, it's tea or coffee...and not exclusively either. goddamn, kids are stupid.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ivar_Karlsen

Ja, desverre.

I love Norway, it's a great place with a lot of friendly people once you break past the "cold shoulder" way many Norwegians give. (It's cultural I believe, kinda like mind your own business. At least that's my perception upon coming here and living here for 10+ years.)

However, with that being said as Ivar_Karlsen said in Norwegian, "fri oppdragelse". Which roughly translates to "let them do whatever they want upbringing". Thankfully, there are parents here who put their foot down. But the government and the liberal push to allow "kids to be kids" and experiment (even that in which is detrimental to them) has made many parents stand-offish when it comes to raising their kids.

Two years ago is when I realized that something wasn't right. I was walking home from the bus. I lived at a small apartment complex with tons of kids running around having a blast during the summer. For the most part, these kids were regular kids doing regular things. But what happened stopped me dead in my tracks. A little boy, about eight years old was leaning on a fence saw me walk by and said, "Gå og f*** deg selv" (go and f*** yourself). I looked at him wide eyed and asked him in a very strict voice, "What did you just say to me?".

His eyes met the ground so fast and almost in a whimper said, "Sorry".

I saw him several times after that, he never looked at me. I never saw him with his parents and honestly, I don't want to meet the parents of kids who are brought up to go tell people 20 years older than themselves to go bleep themselves.

Again, this could have been an isolated incident. There's bad apples everywhere you look. But that must mean I'm an exception to the rule as I've experienced similar things throughout my time here on a daily basis.

Again, this isn't meant to knock Norwegians but rather I'm trying to paint a picture that some Norwegian parents are far too liberal when it comes to their parenting skills and what they believe to be right. Allowing your child free reign as it's the "liberal thing to do" isn't necessarily a good thing.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

Not to defend energy drinks, but if I were you I would compare them to cola,orangejuice and whatnot. They almost have the same g/l as those energy drinks (dunno about rockstar but redbull, effect are actually less then cola in my country)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

verschickter
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

Not to defend energy drinks, but if I were you I would compare them to cola,orangejuice and whatnot. They almost have the same g/l as those energy drinks (dunno about rockstar but redbull, effect are actually less then cola in my country)

just out of curiosity, what country is that?

g/l?

i don't think you're being honest about that last bit...

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
sugar + caffeine = crazy-making addiction... we all know it kicks off the same receptors in the brain as heroin, we know it but doesn't make it any less easy to quit...presuming one even wants to.
edit on 27-3-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Well, just because I happen to be enduring my Federally Required "Health and Wellness" course right now, which even someone pursuing a degree in Basket Weaving must take because...Well..because the Government says so, I put some numbers together. (Nice how they do that, eh?)

An article in the Daily Mail noted the Docs wouldn't say what kind this was...but they used Red Bull as a short comparison, so I did too. So....

Lets see. Over a gallon or 4 liters makes about 16 Red Bulls..or so my numbers and media's seem to agree. That's about 135 ounces of liquid. Ewww...but we all do odd things as kids. He's lucky this wasn't fatal though.

16 cans, as the measure, come to:

1,700 Calories
3,200mg of Sodium
432 GRAMS of Sugar (1 standard pound is 453 grams, for relative comparison)

Caffeine: 1,280mg (The same as 6-15 over the counter pills from a store, depending on strength of them...they recommend 2, on average)

Niacin: 1,600 % (That must have felt interesting)
B-12 - 1,280 %
B-6 - 4,000 %

Plenty there to be one heck of a wide awake night, with a couple cans I suppose.... Enough to become a 'kill' yourself, at the end of a long binge of doing that in a video game, after the equivalent of 16.

Oh..I'd found this too. Even Water is fatal, if you drink too much of it.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

yeah...the article about water...that happened in '07.....

as a followup to that, a nurse called into the show while they were doing the contest, to warn the hosts how much danger they were putting the contestants in, and they laughed it off...after the lady died, the family sued the radio station, and was awarded 17.5 million...you can buy a LOT of wiis with that....

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Daedalus
just out of curiosity, what country is that?

g/l?

i don't think you're being honest about that last bit...

Germany
I´ll list some juices and drinks I have in front of me currently (just for you)
g/l means how much Grams per Liter.

CocaCola: 10.6g/100ml carbohydrates, out of this, 10.6g/100ml is sugar
Effect EnergyDrink: 10.7g/100ml carbohydrates, out of this, 10.7g/100ml is sugar
OrangeJuice: 9g/100ml carbohydrates, out of this, 9g/100ml is sugar
GrapeJuice: 16.6g/100ml carbohydrates, out of this, 16.6g/100ml is sugar
StarDrink LemonLimonade: 9.1g/100ml carbohydrates, out of this, 9.1g/100ml is sugar

Ok, EnergyDrink has 0.1g/100ml more than Cola, I remembered it the other way. But look at the GrapeJuice....

Be aware, while the two juices are made from concentrate, natural juices have almost the same values, except it´s fructose, not sugar. Do you still think I´m not honest?

edit on 28-3-2014 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

verschickter
Germany

cool.

I´ll list some juices and drinks I have in front of me currently (just for you)

no need to be condescending...

g/l means how much Grams per Liter.

cool...didn't recognize it, because it's a different unit of measure than we use over here in the U.S. over here, they measure grams per serving, in conjunction with recommended daily allowance (RDA)

Ok, EnergyDrink has 0.1g/100ml more than Cola, I remembered it the other way. But look at the GrapeJuice....

Be aware, while the two juices are made from concentrate, natural juices have almost the same values, except it´s fructose, not sugar. Do you still think I´m not honest?

ok, maybe not dishonest, just not properly informed....sugar isn't the active ingredient, or ingredients that make energy drinks effective....if that were the case, we could dump an assload of sugar into plain old water, and be good to go....

the active ingredients, that make them "energy drinks" are things like caffine, taurine, guarana, B-vitamins, yerba mate, creatine, things like this....

these are the things you need to look at, in terms of amount in g/l

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Daedalus
ok, maybe not dishonest, just not properly informed....sugar isn't the active ingredient, or ingredients that make energy drinks effective....if that were the case, we could dump an assload of sugar into plain old water, and be good to go....

the active ingredients, that make them "energy drinks" are things like caffine, taurine, guarana, B-vitamins, yerba mate, creatine, things like this....

these are the things you need to look at, in terms of amount in g/l

I am properly informed. You lack reading comprehension. I don´t need your lesson. I was commenting on another users sentence that energy drinks have sooo much sugar in it. Go after this user, not after the one that simply stated they do not vary that much from other soft drinks and in the end even proofed it!

AutumnWitch657
I for one avoid these energy drinks not because of the caffeine but because of the sugar.

Was simply saying cola etc is not better in terms of sugar

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

ok, if we're talking strictly sugar, yeah, you're essentially correct in your statements....

t'was a simple miscommunication, there's no need to be rude. had you explained that in the first place, all of this could have been avoided...

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

So I have to smell that you did not read the post I was replying to?
And now it´s my fault for correcting you, using your own technique?
Great. And still, you´re not able to say "I was wrong", yet you write "essentially I was right".
The internet people

edit on 28-3-2014 by verschickter because: spelling

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

verschickter

So I have to smell that you did not read the post I was replying to?
And now it´s my fault for correcting you, using your own technique?
Great. And still, you´re not able to say "I was wrong", yet you write "essentially I was write".
The internet people

my first instinct is to write up a huge post, explaining a bunch of stuff, but it would be off-topic, and i honestly don't care enough to put forth the effort...you didn't quote what you were replying to, i didn't click the link to read the other person's post, because i didn't care enough to do it....we were both at fault..whatever, man...

it's over.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Guarana is what causes the OD. It is the same thing as Caffine and not counted as such. So this kid OD'd on Caffine. Usually you start seeing white flashes of light long before you consume quite that much but Caffine also leaves the body very quickly. His tolerance went up overnight so he consumed more and ended up in this mess. Downing energy drinks will help you stay awake but you will also be visiting the ER. I know from first hand experience. These are bad news. If you cannot do it with Coffee or Tea leave it alone.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Thanks for the added context on the water death. I'm not sure what your note regarding the date is about, but the added information about their having been warned during the event does go to support how dangerous it can be to overdo anything. Even something as required to life as water itself.

I'm still trying to get my mind around 4 liters of energy drink. I guess he was so focused on the game and one map after another as to miss how he HAD to have been feeling leading well up to the point of falling right over.

** And people wonder sometimes why I love playing shooter games against the computer or Co-Op but almost never in live multi- anymore. He's why. lol..... How can a normal person compete with that level of practice and dedication?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

i was just noting the year it happened, just to do it, i suppose...that, and maybe to make sure that people understand that that particular event wasn't something that had JUST happened. -shrug- t'was a point of specificity..

as to the other bits...all i can say is the kid is an idiot.... i can still go all night long, without ANY energy drinks....maybe a single can of amp, or a jolt cola would be a welcomed aid, but not necessary... anyone who puts a game before their own well-being, is a fool..

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join