It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola epidemic spreads to Guinea's capital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Conakry (AFP) - An Ebola epidemic which has already killed dozens of people in Guinea's southern forests has spread to the capital Conakry, the United Nations Children's Fund said on Sunday.
"At least 59 out of 80 who contracted Ebola across the West African country have died so far. Over the past few days, the deadly haemorrhagic fever has quickly spread from the communities of Macenta, Gueckedou, and Kissidougou to the capital, Conakry," UNICEF said in a statement emailed to AFP.

Source

This is one of the scariest diseases I know of. No real treatment, just tough it out and survive or die, and most die.
edit on 24/3/2014 by Gemwolf because: Fixed link

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
wowzers thats not good news.

The only real known method to stop it is to segregate the sick and let them die
(((((((

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Maybe it's mutated to be a slow killer...if that's the case, we are all in deep doo doo...Nasty bug...very nasty bug.
edit on 24-3-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
If this was intentional I'm sure the people responsible will apologize in 40 - 50 years...
(Guatemala?)US apology

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

diggindirt
This is one of the scariest diseases I know of. No real treatment, just tough it out and survive or die, and most die.
edit on 24/3/2014 by Gemwolf because: Fixed link

No kidding. This could be really bad. In a city of 2 million, stopping the spread is going to extremely difficult. Add to that, that the medical staff are often among the first to get sick and die.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Is that the same one that just makes "some" bleed? Because then its nost likely not ebola, but some fearmongering, and some other disease.

Reading the article itself the french guy says there is more than ebola, that makes me suspicious. Lets hope its not some for of harsh mutation as has been pointed out before.
edit on 2014u53201403am24 by Yusomad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
this sounds no good , do u have a link i can look at

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Soloprotocol
Maybe it's mutated to be a slow killer...if that's the case, we are all in deep doo doo...Nasty bug...very nasty bug.
edit on 24-3-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

it always was a slow killer, the problem is getting infected doesnt show right away, which makes it spread all the more easy.

bloody viruses are mean, you think we are evolved as humans? for millions of years? think how devious a "simple" virus can be.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
If it transmits faster than it kills, then we have a problem, but if it kills faster than it transmits , they should be able to quarantine it and possibly let it die out before it starts to mutate.. ..

Let's hope anyway

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Ebola In Guinea and Sierra Leone

It looks like Ebola might be in both the capital of Guinea and in the town of Buedu Sierra Leone. This one is spreading quickly -- which is not good news at all.
edit on 403am14America/Chicago01041kAmerica/Chicago by BayesLike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I read the thread mentioning this new outbreak in the area not too long ago.

Im wondering how something like this has spread so rapidly.

The Ebola virus isn't really a fast travelling virus, since it has to be spread via body to body (fluid) contact. It also generally kills the host faster than it can travel to another host.

Im hoping it's like the outbreaks that occurred in the 1990's, since those were generally spread via un sterilized medical equipment. This can easily be contained if those same factors are current to whatever strain this Ebola virus is.

However, if this strain has mutated, then we have other concerns.

(Worst could be airborne infection, but that's extremely unlikely, and I mean very unlikely.....but nature does do crazy things sometimes)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   

LightningStrikesHere
If it transmits faster than it kills, then we have a problem, but if it kills faster than it transmits , they should be able to quarantine it and possibly let it die out before it starts to mutate.. ..

Let's hope anyway

The incubation period is about 12 days, some cases occur several days sooner and some several days later. It starts off more or less like the flu but gets worse. There is some hope for a vaccine in people, but apparently it can take a month or more for the vaccine to begin working -- at least in the animals they have tried it in so far.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

As my passing thought, headed to bed....

Ebola is in a class all it's own, for my thinking. There is a little area up in the Northern Plains of the US. Not quite back country, still, anything but well traveled and perfect for traditional camping for a length of time without leaving the immediate area for anything.

If that bug jumps the pond and isn't kept in check or quarantine almost immediately? It's just about the only one that would see me using that plan B, without waiting or hesitating to wait for certainty. Not with that little beastie. Not this bunny. Definitely, never, like that.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   

buni11687
I read the thread mentioning this new outbreak in the area not too long ago.

Im wondering how something like this has spread so rapidly.

The Ebola virus isn't really a fast travelling virus, since it has to be spread via body to body (fluid) contact. It also generally kills the host faster than it can travel to another host.

Im hoping it's like the outbreaks that occurred in the 1990's, since those were generally spread via un sterilized medical equipment. This can easily be contained if those same factors are current to whatever strain this Ebola virus is.

However, if this strain has mutated, then we have other concerns.

(Worst could be airborne infection, but that's extremely unlikely, and I mean very unlikely.....but nature does do crazy things sometimes)

Buses, trains, toilets, doors etc Heck even planes due to their air recirculation (which they only do to save money, since somking is no longer allowed, thats why you always get a dry scratchy sore throat, it was actually more healthy when they allowed smoking, ironically)

They dont actually have to sneeze in your face or kiss you to give it to you, a simply wipe of a nose or cough in the hand and then touching somthing will transfer it quite successfully.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Apparently it can be transmitted in the air -- without contact too -- according to this article: airborne Ebola I hope that's not the case here. If it is, and if it is really spreading to larger cities, this could become a huge problem. Most of the world is just a short flight from the capitol cities.....
edit on 414am14America/Chicago48056kAmerica/Chicago by BayesLike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Sorry about the repost---I did try to look to see if this story had been posted but apparently didn't look in the right place. Just saw the earlier thread---www.abovetopsecret.com...
Mods can just remove this one since there is already a thread that exists.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Please add your thoughts to the existing thread.

Thank you.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join