Millionaire Couple Living on Yacht, Accused of Welfare Fraud

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I'm sure anyone reading the Social Issues and Civil Unrest forum on ATS is no stranger to allegations of welfare fraud and abuse, but it's not often that the accused are wealthy business owners living on a $1.2 million yacht! When I saw the headline, I thought perhaps they had fallen on hard times and evicted from their mansion, took up residence in their yacht — but no, they're just total douche bags.

Colin Chisholm III and his wife Andrea were receiving public assistance for their medical care, but they violated the law when they failed to inform Hennepin County authorities that they had moved to Florida. To live on their $1.2 million yacht. And drive their $30,000 Lexus. And collect welfare from the state of Florida.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced he had charged Colin, 62, and Andrea, 54, each with a single count of wrongfully obtaining public assistance over $35,000 after they illegally received more than $165,000 between 2005 and 2012 from various government programs designed to help the poor. Hennepin County Sheriff’s deputies have been searching for the couple the past month and they are still at large.

Given the passionate debate over health insurance in this country, I found this but particularly egregious:

The prenatal care for Andrea while she was pregnant with the couple’s son in 2006 and January 2007 was paid for by the state, and their welfare benefits increased after the birth.

Clearly these folks could afford health insurance — with a reported $3 million in the bank, even paying completely out of pocket was well within their means.

“These rich folks ripped off the system,” Freeman said at a Friday news conference. “We are going to do every darn thing we can to make sure they do hard time.”

Let's hope they haven't sailed to Belize yet.

Source - Hennepin County Attorney
edit on 2014-3-23 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
This story makes me literally... sick. It also makes me angry. It seems like those who work hard and try to make a better way for themselves get shafted too often, when those who lie, cheat, and steal get further ahead.

I think that is what really pisses people off.

I hope their boat turns into the Titanic... not with them on it, but still.

While they may have money, they CLEARLY lack pride and shame.
edit on 3/23/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

I'll play devils advocate, I hope you are as mad at ALL of those abusing the system, rich and poor. I assure you the major welfare abuse of Americans is by middle and lower income households. When you get a sec, I look at how large a number.
edit on 24-3-2014 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Id say that the system abuses the middle class and poor far more than they EVER abused the system these days....my2 cents....
Look at the recent 1.2 TRILLION corporate welfare roles....
edit on 24-3-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
those two give the rest of us trailer trash a bad name is there a kind of trash for boats [floating trash or sheet ]

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
You can bet there are plenty more where these folks came from! Second line.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by 999zxcv

Flotsam.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Now this is a case where the U.S. should have shown the loooooong reach of Uncle Sammy. Even out into the 7 Seas.

Let the Millionaires get way out off-shore, then serve a civil forfeiture warrant for the yacht. Geee... Awfully inconvenient timing and location, and ... shucks.. only enough room for the crew of the yacht, wouldn't ya know? (Oh, it could be arranged..). They should have thought of that before bumming around in floating luxury.

Oh, I wouldn't suggest anyone make them swim. (gasp of horror) They might poison some innocent shark with their toxic ooze. They can be supplied a row boat and a boy scout compass. Any one direction long enough will reach some land. Eventually. Just stay the course....and row...row...row...
edit on 24-3-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

As pointed out above the gov is giving money out to the rich, what is wrong with some one else getting a piece of the pie?

200k in 5 years... Woah these guys sure knew how to play the system!

I thought this story was about how they became millionaires and got the yacht using the welfare system

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Me and the hubby had to go on assistance for a couple of months to stretch the little we get. No monetary, no medical and 16$ a month in food stamps. He makes less than 22K a year and I can't work due to a spinal birth defect which is documented and they refuse to give any sort of aid for. We make do with what we have without assistance were only on for a month or two. Yet I see this... This world is totally screwed.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Show me an honest rich person. Most rich people didn't get that way by being nice and honest. In other words, I'm not surprised at all. They should get 1000 hours of community service after they get out of prison. But, because they have money, they will just get a slap on the wrist and that will be that. Had they been poor and got caught, they would pay the price. There's two sets of laws in America; One for the non-elites and one for the 1% elites. Which are you?
edit on 24-3-2014 by Fylgje because: typo and to add

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Fylgje
Show me an honest rich person. Most rich people didn't get that way by being nice and honest. In other words, I'm not surprised at all. They should get 1000 hours of community service after they get out of prison. But, because they have money, they will just get a slap on the wrist and that will be that. Had they been poor and got caught, they would pay the price. There's two sets of laws in America; One for the non-elites and one for the 1% elites. Which are you?

Saying that there are no honest wealthy people is just as silly as saying that all poor people are criminals or lazy.

Every demographic has good and bad people.

Do you believe that Stephen king or J.K. Rowling are dishonest simply because they are very wealthy?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

do they still actually own the yacht? and is said yacht missing?

Yet, in depositions for a civil suit over the ownership of the yacht, both Colin and Andrea testified they lived in Connecticut and Florida, but never mentioned Minnesota.
www.hennepinattorney.org...

if so dollars to donuts, they probably at least went to the Caribbean as suspected, considering they supposedly had at least one business there. i hope they froze their bank accounts, although it would seem likely they have offshore accounts in places like the cayman islands, which of course just happens to be in the Caribbean. but there seems to be an extradition treaty so if they went there they likely would soon head elsewhere. if they didn't put the freeze on their bank accounts, $3 million would let them live like kings in a poorer nation.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

NavyDoc

Fylgje

Saying that there are no honest wealthy people is just as silly as saying that all poor people are criminals or lazy.

Do you believe that Stephen king or J.K. Rowling are dishonest simply because they are very wealthy?

I don't think that anyone really believes that all wealthy people are dishonest, but thousands of years of recorded history are replete with accounts of predation by the unscrupulous upper crust. It's hard to dismiss the popular sentiment that many among the super wealthy have amassed vast fortunes through unethical behavior and to the detriment of society. It is interesting that you should name two successful authors rather than a couple of uber rich bankers, hedge fund managers or tycoons.

The secret of a great success for which you are at a loss to account is a crime that has never been found out, because it was properly executed. --Honoré de Balzac

I'll leave you with some recent quotes by Thomas Perkins, venture capitalist and member of the board of directors of News corp, a man who sold a yacht of his own in 2009 for about $99 million.

"But what I really think is, it should be like a corporation. You pay a million dollars in taxes, you get a million votes. How's that?"

--Tom Perkins speaking at the Commonwealth Club, Feb 13, 2014

"Writing from the epicenter of progressive thought, San Francisco, I would call attention to the parallels of fascist Nazi Germany to its war on its 'one percent,' namely its Jews, to the progressive war on the American one percent, namely the 'rich'"

-- Tom Perkins in a letter to WSJ, Jan 2014

edit on 2014-3-24 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Oh come on, give'm a break guys! It must be horrible expensive paying for the gas to get a their yacht around. Then think about docking fees and you can't just serve any $9.00 bottle of wine on a craft of this caliber. These guys must be living on shoe strings in todays economy. They're snow birds, they'd whither up and die if expected to pay rent on an apartment and get jobs. Ugh,... Jobs?!

Poor folks. They've probably been watching the news on their 68" plasma screen and are getting a little sea sick right now...

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

theantediluvian

NavyDoc

Fylgje

I don't think that anyone really believes that all wealthy people are dishonest, but thousands of years of recorded history are replete with accounts of predation by the unscrupulous upper crust. It's hard to dismiss the popular sentiment that many among the super wealthy have amassed vast fortunes through unethical behavior and to the detriment of society. It is interesting that you should name two successful authors rather than a couple of uber rich bankers, hedge fund managers or tycoons.

The secret of a great success for which you are at a loss to account is a crime that has never been found out, because it was properly executed. --Honoré de Balzac

I'll leave you with some recent quotes by Thomas Perkins, venture capitalist and member of the board of directors of News corp, a man who sold a yacht of his own in 2009 for about $99 million.

"But what I really think is, it should be like a corporation. You pay a million dollars in taxes, you get a million votes. How's that?"

--Tom Perkins speaking at the Commonwealth Club, Feb 13, 2014

"Writing from the epicenter of progressive thought, San Francisco, I would call attention to the parallels of fascist Nazi Germany to its war on its 'one percent,' namely its Jews, to the progressive war on the American one percent, namely the 'rich'"

-- Tom Perkins in a letter to WSJ, Jan 2014

edit on 2014-3-24 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

I put out two well liked authors because I knew it would be very difficult for them to play the "but...but...they're exploiting the workers!" meme.

I would add that the class warfare that is promulgated to divide people and convince people to ask for more restrictive laws and governmental control is more akin to the war against the Kulak class in the Soviet Union.
edit on 24-3-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

How do you think the rich stay rich?
They certainly don't do it by paying their taxes and being honest and upfront.
They lie, cheat, steal, defraud and evade, all while others protect and support them for being hardworking and an inspiration.

This doesnt suprise me at all and much like my thread about billionaires and offshore accounts, I bet this is just the tip of the iceberg

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I think that when your dealing with creatures that can come up with stuff like "The Final Solution" and "Thermo-Nuclear" and "PelosiCare" and "Real Housewives" that you have the answer. Millionaires on welfare? Sounds like they know how to work the system. There are people in ecuador that know that! Now that they are on the "run" for 1 count each of obtaining public assistance, i guess they're jet set lives are all over !
Being retired and living on a fixed income can be tough. I'm glad we have programs to help people who have hit rough patches. I don't think we need to be sending troops to places like A-stan or Europe when some of the troops we're sending have to get food stamps to feed they're kids! I don't think we should be giving money to countries like egypt or iraq or a-stan when we have ACTUAL CITIZENS living under the streets of Aurora Colorado.
But if they live on a yacht and have a lexus and collect welfare? they should run for congress or the senate. they'd feel right at home there. Angry Monkeys. Not expecting humans to act like what they are a losing proposition. The Universe has way of taking care of that for us, and that's called extinction. Thanks Universe
the way you "clean house"? IMPRESSIVE !

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
the richer some people are, the richer they want to be. they can never have enough. greed as a raison d'etre, with all possible measures taken to avoid paying the taxes and obeying the rules that 'normal' people have to. revolting.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I don't get how they got away with it for so long or how they even got welfare in the first place. I'm on disability and get assistance. The welfare office did everything short of sticking their head up my rear. I have a bank account and had to show them whats in it. I can't have any assets over $3000 including the cost of my car. I got a $100 promotion from my bank for opening an account. They reported it to the IRS as interest. The IRS reported it to the welfare office. I lost my benefits because the welfare office thought I had a lot of money in bank. I had to fight to get my benefits back.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join