It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Landslide In Washington Ongoing efforts to find survivors

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SBMcG

I am so sorry to hear that you have two close friends who are missing and you fear are dead.
This has been such a nightmare for so many people. My heart breaks for them all. Knowing that people have survived in cases where most would have given up all hope...I will still pray and hope that there are still survivors out there.

posted on Mar, 29 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   

westcoast
So just a few quick points I would like to make:

I too immediately wondered about a quake factor in all of this. they DO NOT think this was triggered by a quake.

Moving on to the media. WHY then, did it take the news channels almost three days to even START reporting it clearly and almost FOUR days for the government to step in and lend aid. DO you know how many military bases there are within an hour or two of that location? People were screaming for help for almost two days!!!

I have no doubt that the quake on MARCH 10 was related. Not necessarily the trigger but that was likely the final warning, and nobody was paying attention.

Mature trees filter hold then release water in time. 1/3 more water is free to dig channels or saturate into the ground in areas without old growth forests.

The area was susceptible and greed was the trigger mechanism here and I'm not speaking of the laborers feeding their family.

If this is not terrorism, I don't know what is. How many people are gong to reconsider sleeping below those clear cuts with their children?

So much bureaucracy involved here these people are so afraid to step on each other that they cant even report a body count without an explanation. It's no wonder it took them three days of maneuvering before they could get to work - thus we know why it was the locals were doing all the dirty work then.

I can't figure out the media part. Jessie Jones (King 5 news Seattle) and a few others are sure doing a good job rallying everyone to donate money and supplies at this point so it's hard to criticize them. There was definitely some kind of disconnect or disbelief of what occurred along with some class perceptions. The media is so caught up in their own self importance, that they were late to the ball.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

The latest:
The number of confirmed dead is 18.
The Department of Emergency Management said the list of missing was reduced to 30.
The previous number was 90.
An additional victim was found in the debris field, but was not yet identified.
Searchers are collecting photos and personal items at the debris site so they can be returned to families

DARRINGTON, Wash. – People in the communities devastated by the Oso landslide will gather for church services Sunday morning as the search for victims continues. Source

The rain is supposed ease up today, so hopefully the searches can continue on. Sending regards hoping for the best.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

reply to post by SCGrits

For continuing effort to help the pets of the families effected:

27 tons of animal feed donated to Darrington

"Freekibble" is also donating dog and cat food.

edit on 30-3-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

This is as bad a search and rescue operation as anyone could imagine. Folks wanted to be in there searching from the start, and much respect for the ones that have been slogging through soupy mud up to their waists trying to find and rescue others.

This is not just mud and debris, it is full of smashed up homes, boards with nails in them, knives, splintered wood, broken glass and things that can easily cut through your gear and pierce the flesh underneath and great care has to be taken while very slowly feeling your way through the bog of a mess.

Can you imagine the exhaustion that would set in in just a few minutes of doing this, let alone an all day slog through this muck. It has been raining throughout, worsening the already bad conditions. My heart goes out to these first responders who had to hear the cries for help fading, and then stopping and being unable to get to where they were to help. A nightmare few can even imagine, let alone live through and come out ok after.

The good folks up there performing this duty are to be commended, and are doing their very best to give the families of the missing the closure they need. Sadly I fear they will call off the search before too much longer as it is just too dangerous as the hillside is still collapsing and adding to the mess.

Say a prayer for the poor folks up there, because they need all they can get.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join