Landslide In Washington Ongoing efforts to find survivors

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+9 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
READ BELOW OP for an IMPORTANT Message from our member Westcoast

Came onto ATS to find out more about this terrible situation happening in Washington State where a landslide has already happened and where flooding is causing massive debris to cause death and destruction in its dangerous wake.

Where are the reports from our members in that area?

People are screaming for help under the debris, emergency workers cannot get them out as it is like quicksand.

This has not ended and there are evacs ongoing because the release of the debris field goes massive casualties will happen. This is farmland, people are having to leave behind animals and pets.

Excuse this horrible thread OP, but I am in shock and came on for answers.

news.yahoo.com...

www.latimes.com...

At least 18 confirmed missing and 3 deaths with that number expected to rise as rescue workers are able to continue the search in the morning.

“I get a sense we’re going to have some hard news here," Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said at a Sunday afternoon news conference. At least 12 victims were hospitalized Saturday - one of whom died - and seven remained hospitalized Sunday afternoon, including five in serious condition or worse, hospital officials told the Los Angeles Times.

www.latimes.com...

Among the victims was a 6-month-old boy who was in critical condition at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle after being the first victim flown from the disaster site. “Basically the people were swept away, pinned up against things, covered,” Harborview spokeswoman Elizabeth Hunter told The Times, adding that most of the mudslide wounds were “crushing injuries.”

www.latimes.com...

www.latimes.com...
edit on pm331pmSun, 23 Mar 2014 22:42:01 -0500 by antar because: (no reason given)
edit on pm331pmSun, 23 Mar 2014 22:59:17 -0500 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar, someone told me that there was already a thread started but I couldn't find it. I had to leave but was going to start my own if I failed to find it again. Glad you started this one.

I live about 30 mins north of the scene. It is horrendous. I have not seen it myself but have now spoken with a couple who have, and had second hand reports from people that are involved in the search and rescue.

From everything I have gathered, the media is down-playing this. It is a nightmare of a scene. It was NOT a few houses...but possibly closer to one hundred that was instantly destroyed. There are, Think six confirmed dead....but a local tally (so far) of people missing was 23 last time I checked, and I imagine it will go a lot higher.

I have heard personal stories of just missing the slide, of children dead or missing, of whole families gone or others that were spared their lives but lost everything else.

EMS personal on the ground are having to go through stress debriefing because of what they are seeing.

They could hear people whithin the wreckage screaming for help all day and night but were unable to get to them or find them. Can you imagine the horror?????

They were trying hovercraft today to go out onto the mud, because it is impossible to walk on it. it is in a liquid state and still moving.

It covers a square mile area, and 180 feet deep in places. It has created a mud dam on the north fork of the stilliguamish river and essentially totally stopped the flow of this large river. If and when it gives, it could possibly release a mud and debris flow similar to a lahar. They (officials on scene) are comparing it to the lahar of Mount Saint Helens. It could also potentially take out two freeways, including I5, our main arterial. People are being evacuated in the flood plain of the river. Hundreds of families fleeing and displaced.

I am amazed it isn't getting more news coverage...the devastation is unbelievable, and it may well not be over.

A list of the missing compiled by us locals, along with pictures. This has been put together by a local, volunteer FB page called Break Skagit. They have had the most complete coverage of this from the beginning. list of missing

ETA....Dang it! The national news station is seattle linked the website and now their server has crashed.

edit on 23-3-2014 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Never mind. Thanks westcoast for the rundown. Was this a ground saturation thing due to rain or…?

Edit to add: Heres a pic of that area. Looks like we can see the blocked river lower left in this shot.

WoW…

edit on 23-3-2014 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I'd looked around as well since this is a big story now that I find it to look at. There are some for previous days, but this is a very breaking thing and ongoing tonight by all indications.

This is the RSOE statement for the latest update they have...

Searchers looking for victims of Saturday's massive mudslide in eastern Snohomish County reported hearing voices possibly from children coming late Saturday from an area hit by the slide. Shari Ireton, spokeswoman for the Snohomish County sheriff's office said it is unclear if the missing people are trapped or have simply not reported their whereabouts. The sheriff's office has asked people affected by the slide to report to the Red Cross so an accurate count can be made of the missing. The three deaths were confirmed by the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office. Eight people have been rescued and were being treated at area hospitals. At least six houses were destroyed, the sheriff's office said in a statement.
RSOE Incident Index

That update was about noon Central time, today.

My best wishes go out to all who are impacted out there.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I just saw a report about the Stillaguamish River begins ‘slight’ breach of mud and debris dam

This situation has become a potential time-bomb. The slide is so massive it has created a dam on the Stilaguamish river. The water behind it is building quickly, and there is no guaranteed "safe" way to release the pressure. I hope that can get to any still buried, mud is about the least cooperative media to try and dig someone out of. And if this happened where the middle gave way you may see a sizable wall of water approach interstate I-5 by Arlington, WA.

Source
edit on 23-3-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)
edit on 23-3-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Wow. I know people who live in Arlington. I hope they are ok. I've lost contact, but this looks really close to where they live.

It is a really small town.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Oh PLEASE, please do this story justice and create a much more informed thread, I truly mean that, I just quickly put this out there through shock and disappointment that I could not find more on it here, not to mention a little fear too. Where are our members who understand these things and that can possibly put 2x2 together with the rest of the geological movements in that area?

I am more than concerned. Thank you for coming back to make one, it is mystifying to me to not have this discussed and our members checking in with eye witness accounts.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
My heart goes out to these people. What a tragedy! I hope they can save more people and soon!!

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Your reply made my nose burn and eyes water, I know this event should be splattered across the front page. I would not even be on but was checking email before bed and saw the event headlines on msm.

I am so sorry to hear about your close loved ones, please let us know when you find out more, many people tonight are waiting to know the very same.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I hadn't heard of this until now and it's truly heartbreaking that they are hearing voices but cannot find them. If it's that soft the ground will suffocate them so I hope they don't slow down their efforts. Perhaps they can hang from helicopters or somehow reinforce the ground just long enough to get more time. What a nightmare.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Oh OH my God, I was reading replies backwards from the bottom, I am just in tears now, not from the info I gleaned from msm but ffrom YOUR POST.

PLEASE evac to safety , Please be safe. To be honest I was thinking of you when I came on to get info. I really did not remember where you are located, true story my dear friend.

I am here, and if I can do ANYTHING, let me know. You have a safe place with me and my family.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Edit

Sorry that was an old thread from last year. I don't see anything recently posted but it was in the recent topics in the last day or two. Weird.
edit on 23-3-2014 by tport17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Thread already started here, but not a whole lot of replies:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hope everyone is ok.

UPDATE: Officials: 8 now confirmed dead in mudslide

blogs.seattletimes.com...
edit on Sun Mar 23rd 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

Aerial video of slide:
www.king5.com...

Jesus, that was a massive slide. You can see the area that slid on the right towards end of video, and it dammed the river, which is now backing up and flooding out houses. Holy crap!
edit on Sun Mar 23rd 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

The one there is from 2013.... Oddly enough, almost to the day. It was only because the Op was March 27, that I took a harder look... cycles, eh?

Also for reference, there isn't much happening on it, but this is the dispatch for Snohomish County and a couple other things in that area. Hopefully that helps if there is a sudden change.

*TrueAmerican's is yesterday's but the other was 1 year ago...a few days from now.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
So, unfortunately my best, local resource has had its server crashed from traffic. Here is a story out of KOMO with pictures:

KOMO news story

The list is rapidly growing. Heartbreaking.

Some quotes from Facebook:

The story on what I will now call the Miracle Baby Boy....."Neighbors retrieved a mud-covered baby within moments of the slide, said an Arlington woman who was driving by when the catastrophe occurred.

“We thought it was a car accident,” said Sierra Sansibar of Arlington, who said she was driving to Darrington when the road was blocked by the mud. “Then you realize there’s a house in the middle of the road.”

“We heard screaming from a house 100 yards from us. A whole bunch of men went in there and pulled out a 6-month-old baby,” Sansibar said. Firefighters also were arriving, she said.

“There was mud, household items everywhere, people screaming, crying, running into the rubbish.”

“Everybody was covered in mud. A lady next door who saw what happened, she was giving them blankets to hold the baby in. They got in a car, and left,” said Sansibar.

A child fitting that scenario was airlifted to Seattle’s Harborview Medical Center, in critical condition."

My 17 year old son was there just after it happened and was there all day helping until he was told it was too dangerous to stay. He said it is way more tragic than any news is reporting. He saw things I wish he wouldn't have had to, but I am proud of him for being there to help. Thank you to everyone who puts there lives at risk to help others!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The one thing I'd caught on the radio dispatch was half into the report when I started the stream. It was reporting Chaplains working in elementary schools through the night. Not sure if it's this, though I'd imagine it must be?

I have the emergency dispatch running in the background and it's routine traffic for the most part. I think they're just making updates of county wide interest on this with the incident stuff being clear off on another channel broadcastify doesn't have in that list.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit, yes I would presume they are gathering ministers as well as support officers. They will need massive support not only for the family of the now over 30 missing, but also for the RESPONDERS. I have heard that they are in horrific conditions. Seeing things and hearing things that will haunt them the rest of their lives. This is being WAY under reported by news agencies. I don't know why. The potential for a massive lahar-like flood is very real, too.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

antar

Oh PLEASE, please do this story justice and create a much more informed thread, I truly mean that, I just quickly put this out there through shock and disappointment that I could not find more on it here, not to mention a little fear too. Where are our members who understand these things and that can possibly put 2x2 together with the rest of the geological movements in that area?

I am more than concerned. Thank you for coming back to make one, it is mystifying to me to not have this discussed and our members checking in with eye witness accounts.

Thank you for your concern antar, really.
I, fortunately am very safe where I am. I am North of this...upstream near a different river. Worse that could happen to me is that I get totally cut off from the other side of the state. If the dam goes it could potentially block the only two freeways running north south on this side of the mountains. The only mountain pass East up hear is closed, buried under snow. BUT...this inconvenience is nothing compared to what these families are going through right now.

I want to stress...there may be a LOT more houses involved than has been reported. I have been told by more than one person who knows the area and been there that this is a COMMUNITY of homes...not just a few. There are also hundreds displaced by the evacuation.

Pray for them all please.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It may be respectful to allow west coast this thread, can we take the posts to a new thread in the breaking news forum? Westcoast really needs to handle this in the professional manner this deserves.

(seems like an ongoing debacle with my threads being time oddities)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar...this thread is fine! Really. I am running a bit thin right now to keep it up, anyways. I will report back though if I hear any updates!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join