It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: SYRIAN jet shot down near Turkish border

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Syrian jet shot down near Turkish border

I just saw this on the RT website, it is just breaking.
I'll post updates as soon as they come in!

A Syrian military jet has been shot down near the Syrian-Turkish border. While reports claimed that the jet was fired at by Turkish anti-aircraft system after it violated airspace, Ankara has not yet confirmed or denied the allegations.

RT

A Syrian plane was shot down on Sunday in the northern border region with Turkey where rebels have been battling President Bashar al-Assad's forces, activists and regional media said.

It was not immediately clear who was responsible.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights quoted local residents as saying the plane was brought down by shooting from the Turkish side of the border. Al Manar, the television station of Lebanon's Hezbollah group, said two rockets were fired from Turkish territory.

But Turkish media quoted officials as denying Turkey had shot it down and said Syrian rebels were responsible.

Reuters
edit on 23-3-2014 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Maybe it was the rebels, after all the CIA shipped them hundreds of surface to air missiles from LIbya through Benghazi..

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

I think this was on purpose! Russia is on Syria's side, so somebody want to drag turkey in this whole crisis and start a war.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Syria Shoots down Turkish jet

ATS.

It was the Rebels...

Syrian jet shot down near Turkey

ATS.

It was the Rebels...

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
QUOTE - "Turkey is a member of Nato, meaning that it could invoke Article V of the North Atlantic Treaty and summon the aid of all 28 countries in the alliance if it comes under attack. Turkey's government is a strident critic of President Bashar al-Assad's regime and tension has risen along the land border between the two neighbours."

Maybe the syrians got a little trigger happy and have apoligised as said.

However, maybe the rebels would just love the chance to provoke Turkey to attack, after all, they are really really really pissed about Obama not putting boots on the ground after the false flag chemical attack farse failed to provoke the response they wanted, maybe they (stupidly) hope this will provoke a NATO response...which it won't.
edit on AM7Sun20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Turkish Prime Minister :statement.

Our forces have shot down Syrian Jet.

Al Jazeera reporting.

No further details.
edit on Sun, 23 Mar 2014 08:16:34 -0500168America/ChicagoSunday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Prime minister says the Syrian Jet was inside Turkish Airspace
bombing rebel border post.

Remember though that Syria shot down a Turkish jet some time ago.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Al Jazeera reporting that the it was a Turkish Air force
jet that engaged and shot down the Syrian counterpart.

There is much being made of the fact that it was NATO jet.

Seems like the whole Region is ready for a showdown.

Are we ready f or this?

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
BBC OFFICIAL TURKEY SHOOTS DOWN SYRIAN MILITARY JET

QUOTE -"Mr Erdogan congratulated his air force on its actions on Sunday. He told Syria: "Our response will be heavy if you violate our airspace"

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I think we are reaching a point where world war is inevitable. We are forcing nations to become compliant and they are defiant. Only one obvious conclusion.
edit on 23-3-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
it was not long ago the PEACE keepers of nato were bombing kosavo , so lets not involve them here .

it is time Assad called for help from his buddies as this has been draggin on to long now

it was only a few day's ago Israel attacked them

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

andy1972
Maybe it was the rebels, after all the CIA shipped them hundreds of surface to air missiles from LIbya through Benghazi..

That's exactly what I was thinking. Most of the violence over there is caused by agents and weapons peddlers.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Seems like the neo-cons have spun their wheel of misfortune to make their next move ...They know that war is in their best intrest and have placed all of the spots on the board to bring it about ....peace

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Well it took my mind off the crimea for a moment......

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I think the next few months will be interesting for Syria.

We'll see what happens.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Apparently the moment it happened

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Hellas
Apparently the moment it happened

So the camera man and reporter were out on the hills, taking a stroll. The Anchor decided to check in with them and.... a jet was shot down right in front of them?

I don't speak the language so I don't know what they are saying. It did seem a little odd.

edit on 23-3-2014 by MALBOSIA because: change "Russian" to "language"

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This is no suprise. As things in Syria continue to get worse with multiple splits in the rebel camp and with so much of Assads support being Iranian, Hezbollah, Lebanese etc. and out his control people will be firing and bombing the wrong things more often. All sides lack command and control and that means that Israel gets shelled on accident or planes cross the Turkish border. Of course both Turkey and Israel will react but, it will all be very limited. In the end this is really nothing.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Im surprised Erdogan is going this far to deflect his on going corruption scandal, he also tried to ban twitter last week lol, the guys a total nut job. He wont be in power much longer, this is also the guy that likes to brutalise peaceful protests.
edit on 23-3-2014 by Bellor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

Not surprised Turkey downed an aircraft since they themselves are harboring and vetting terrorists into Syria
nor will I be if NATO forces two fronts against Russia by another push in Syria in the form of no-fly/safe zones
cold war is getting warmer.
Most of Assad's support is from the People of Syria.

edit on 23-3-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join