It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is survival preparation best done in secret?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I read on a different discussion forum that its better to keep a low profile and not make it obvious to those around you that you have been stockpiling supplies in preparation. Obviously this would help prevent unnecessary attention falling on you when a SHTF scenario occurs...because nobody wants to be known as ''that'' guy with all the supplies in a time of crisis and shortage. However, wouldn't being open about ''preparing'' and discussing the need to prepare with those around you sort of inspire them to prepare as well....even if its at the very last hour? Because them being self sufficient with their own supplies would not only save you a lot of headache but also open doors for alliances and co-operation in difficult times? What do you think?
edit on 23-3-2014 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I'd like to hear from a prepper during hurricane Katrina that lived in Louisiana in the city bet all that prepping did them real good, if you are prepping and can't be mobile it will not matter much if you can't take it with you then your just stocking up your tomb. Of course you want to stay quiet about it but again make sure when you do it you have a plan to either wait something out and also get the eff out as well never know what the world will throw at us bro.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
At the end of the day, the only people who know you exist and are prepared, are the ones you tell about it.

If i had a bunker i would tell NO ONE. Do i? Do i not?

The best layed plans work when only those that need to know, know.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   

edit on 23-3-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Do BOTH!

Prepare with others in community and prepare secretly on ones own and that covers all the bases!

Think of it like having community voluntary fire fighting crew and equipment to hand as well as having ones own fire extinguisher!

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
If things really do go all SHTF, then you will be stronger united than divided. People who are isolated and alone will be more vulnerable than those who can maintain some sense of community and organization. Developing 'what if' plans with people you can trust still may all fall apart, but hopefully a few ideas will be more of an assistance than a burden.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

kwakakev
If things really do go all SHTF, then you will be stronger united than divided. People who are isolated and alone will be more vulnerable than those who can maintain some sense of community and organization. Developing 'what if' plans with people you can trust still may all fall apart, but hopefully a few ideas will be more of an assistance than a burden.

only AFTER you establish your domain and survival prowess.

telling anyone before hand (thats not a prepper themselves) is asking for trouble and a huge thorn in your actual survival.

If i knew there was a guy up the road with a bunker full of supplys, i might be tempted to take it from him. not because im a sadist, because me and my family are all that matters when the world crumbles.

Do not delude yourself in thinking hungry people wont do the same.
edit on b1515339 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

In other words, make sure you have a batcopter in your bat cave, or else you're #*!$ed.

In all honesty, if you feel you need to hide your preparation activities from your neighbors, that is probably a good indication that you are A) American, B) American or C) American. In any of these 3 scenarios, the best course of action in any disaster is clearly to horde all your own *#!$ and turn your brothers away, because the more #*!$ they have, the less you have. You should also make sure you have emergency plans drawn up to raid other peoples #*!$ incase yours runs out. They don't deserve it, and you do. That toddler that is dying of hunger/dehydration? #*!$ that #&!$. That's just a ruse to get all your stuff, so the gubberment can regulate you after they put you all in camps.

Crazy talk. Establish networks of people who see the wisdom of being prepared. People who hoard their goods will be the first to die, no matter how secretive they think they have been. Network with others who share your values and your sense of preparedness, and come up with contingency plans to not only support each other, but those who can't support themselves.

If you think you are going to survive the apocalypse all by your lonesome because you were smart enough to horde a bunch of stuff, you will probably be one of the first to die. People are social creatures, and every advancement we've ever made worth mentioning, we've done together. We've done a lot of crappy stuff together as well, but you aren't going to solve it by yourself.

-Pick safe places with people you trust

-Stock goods collectively

-Draw up contingency plans

-Bring useful people into your circle (doctors, mechanics, whatever)

-Bring not so useful people in that are wise enough to commit (Not everyone has an obvious skill, but not everyone's character can be judged on their skills alone)

-Resolve to become a community in a SHTF scenario, and help each other.

Hoarders = targets.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
alliances and co-operation in difficult times

That's the key right there, alliances and co-operation. There is very little of that right now, and people have it good and safe. When people don't know how they're going to feed themselves next week it will only get worse. Keep your own supplies a secret but compare notes with other preppers in places like survivalist stores. when doing so, take note of the ones who seem very calm, organized and practical about it all. The ones who seem content with the idea of not having leaders telling them what to do everyday. You want to make friends with those who are self-confident because that is the first step in being self-reliant. You don't want scared sheep in your camp. That's just a bad idea.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
YES! Give the NO data NONE ,ZIP,NADA. Don't announnce ALLL your gun anywhere and assume EVERYTHING ON THE NET IS BEING RECORDED!
Use your heads common COMSEC attention,be polite.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

IDK what being american has anything to do with anything but ok. I wouldn't advertise my business to anyone if it isn't necessary which in this case is not necessary. I never said anything about a batcopter but the idea of being mobile whether that means on foot or in a vehicle is probably your best deal to be prepared for a store room full of stuff won't matter much if your house or whatever is going to be covered under feet of water or lit on fire because of wildfires etc etc there are many things to be prepared for not just shtf police state bs effing zombies etc etc but increasing natural disaster and general unknowns people that prep should be prepared to GTFO and I think that it is important that if people prep they should at least consider having to leave it all behind.

Also you made a few assumptions about me in your last post that are simply not true, I am not a prepper, if something happens it happens and I will deal with it if I can then. I don't plan on surviving an apocalypse lol why would I plan for that I'll revert back to old school USMC training and experience if I survive so be it if I don't, well it doesn't matter.
edit on 23-3-2014 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
There is a local fellow in my area,a serious prepper,who posts on a national website. Now,his way of approaching discussion is this- He will openly discuss general preps,and answer questions for new people. To protect himself though,he never discusses his bug out location,or what stockpiles he has. He has also outright stated,he is open to being part of a community if shtf,but by no means will he even consider that unless that person already has at least enough preps of their own to survive for at least one year.To me that sounds like a good guide to follow.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I'd say keep it as quiet as you can. Even going to other towns and paying cash for things.

I bet there's a database somewhere of all the people who their government thinks are suspicious just because they've paid by card for a hundred metres of paracord and a pallet of beans.

Even if you aren't worried about that, being known as someone with lots of stuff will make you a target in the event of a shtf scenario.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Friends in time of distress can become enemies. And if they know you have stuff...well? Wouldn't you do anything...even criminal...if it was for your family to live or die in trying to survive? Well then....

I'd steadily and quietly keep acquiring your gear and supplies, and discuss very little in details with anyone.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

sk0rpi0n
I read on a different discussion forum that its better to keep a low profile and not make it obvious to those around you that you have been stockpiling supplies in preparation. Obviously this would help prevent unnecessary attention falling on you when a SHTF scenario occurs...because nobody wants to be known as ''that'' guy with all the supplies in a time of crisis and shortage. However, wouldn't being open about ''preparing'' and discussing the need to prepare with those around you sort of inspire them to prepare as well....even if its at the very last hour? Because them being self sufficient with their own supplies would not only save you a lot of headache but also open doors for alliances and co-operation in difficult times? What do you think?

That would be just wishful thinking. It's the ant and the grasshopper. The ant spends all summer long stockpiling food. The grasshopper just watches, thinking it isn't such a big deal. Winter comes, the grasshopper runs out of food. What does he do? He goes running to the ant for a hand out.

Letting others know what you are doing is too big of a risk. There is very little chance that you are going to encourage others to stockpile supplies through example. And you are going to make yourself a bigger target because loose lips sink ships, or strip cupboards in this case.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
For your consideration, I give you The Twilight Zone, Season 3, episode 3. "The Shelter".

This episode is about a guy hosting a dinner party. He lets his good friends know about the bomb shelter and supplies he had built in his home. Chaos strikes. Things don't go so well.

edit on 23-3-2014 by allenidaho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Only tell the people you are prepping for, or who will be prepping alongside you.

The biggest headache will be a work mate, or a poker-table buddy from the game in your neighborhood. He used to shoot the fat with you over a beer about what to do if the world collapsed right now. Of course, he never actually made any preps.

But now that the S is actually H-ing the F, he is telling everyone, "I know a guy who has the perfect set-up. We're heading over to his house right now. He's got everything you'll ever need, 'cause he's been prepping for years. You're just like him, I'm sure he'll let you come, too, since he & I are best friends and all...."

And he's bringing his wife, his teenage kids with their goth boyfriends, and his Alzheimer-afflicted mother in law.

The teenagers will be the worst, since they eat like adults, have the entitlement issues of a teen, but possess the work ethic of an irritable toddler.

edit on 25-3-2014 by tovenar because: O my God! It's full of stars....

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Power in numbers.

There are multiple levels/layers to being prepared for Situation X, and networking with your community would certainly be a great idea in some aspects. I live in a farming community, so I would benefit greatly from networking. You want the small tight knit group that you share all your plans with to whatever degree (kind of like a high functioning gang, think Sons of Anarchy). You need a right-hand-man, and everyone knows a right-hand-man is only effective if they are 100% "in the know".

You don't have to let anyone in on every single facet of your plans, but there will be other individuals/groups with survival on their minds if SHTF. You will have to deal with them somehow. It's a good idea to have some sort of preexisting relationship with the more prepared groups, because not everyone is going to be after your Lucky Charms.
edit on 3/25/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Because them being self sufficient with their own supplies would not only save you a lot of headache but also open doors for alliances and co-operation in difficult times? What do you think?

No, they simply aren't going to bother, thinking they can simply come over your place. And these same folks would be shocked to hear you say no!

The people I've told are the people that are welcome to come (and pitch in). (other than fairly anonymously online of course).

Most people don't think anything bad will ever happen, and/or if it does, that the government will step in and take care of them. To that, I say, "Ask a Katrina survivor".......

If you advertise ANYTHING, make sure it is that you tend to shoot first, and ask questions later, come SHTF.

Part of keeping it secret is also keeping it out of sight from the road, etc. So remember that too. Of course, some degree of prepping is just assumed in rural areas...so we know folks already assume we have stuff. But, people should also realize that at least in the US, most folks in rural areas have large dogs, and multiple firearms, so probably not a good idea to approach in a SHTF scenario, especially outside of daylight hours. My dogs will lick your face during the day, when you're over as company, but show up at night during bedtime, and they will tear you a new one..... Even the kids know to give the signal if they hear a dog growl if they come in when lights are out.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

To answer the question in the title of the OP, yes, pretty much.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join