It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top Quark: Mass of World's Heaviest Elementary Particle Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Wow....This is a little over my head but I know this has to be an important discovery. This has something to do with the Higgs Boson and the Top Quark plus the different types or "flavors" of Quarks. For example, there are: Top, bottom, up, down, charm and strange Quarks. I think that the article is saying that different types of Quarks combine to form protons or Neutrons depending on their configuration at a given time. Also important is the understanding of the Top Quark will affect the stability of the Higgs field.

"The combining together of data from CERN and Fermilab to make a precision top quark mass result is a strong indication of its importance to understanding nature," Fermilab director Nigel Lockyer said in a statement, adding, "It's a great example of the international collaboration in our field."

Sounds pretty cool...What say you, ATS?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
They kind of sound like gay terms lol

remember that quarks are not technically "observable" and thus are some what experimental, their behavior is modified by means of detection so we may never know how they really work.

I think cern is doing some really amazing things but even after many years of research we are still mostly in the, proverbial dark.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

Wow, I had assumed that we knew the mass of the top quark!

Indeed, it is all well & good theorizing the existence of something but without actual definitions of mass, charge & etc, the theory remains just an idea. With the definition of real values, engineering can be done based upon those numbers.

This is, indeed, real news.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   

( GROAN ) I look at & read the article & my tummy turns....tells me if there was ever a true world threat, they found it

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

StormyStars

( GROAN ) I look at & read the article & my tummy turns....tells me if there was ever a true world threat, they found it

How's that? The only uses for the technology(ies) developed would be Faaster Than Light Speed travel as I know it. As far as weapons, I can't foresee what type(s) would manifest except for one that would add so much mass to a lifeform that it explodes or takes away so much mass that it disappears, vanishes, "Poof!"

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Great find, thanks. This is quite important (and it seems very important results in many fields are coming a few a week right now, exciting for sure). Hopefully a science nerd, ah, expert, will be along to really explain the significance of this. For now, here is a quote from your source:

The new particle mass will allow scientists to test the mathematics of quantum connections among the top quark, the Higgs particle — the particle detected by the LHC in 2012, which explains how other particles get their mass — and the W boson, the carrier of the electroweak force.

Theoretical physicists can now investigate how the mass of the top quark will affect predictions of the stability of the Higgs field (the field associated with the Higgs particle), and the effects on the evolution of the universe. In addition, the new value will allow scientists to test for inconsistencies in the Standard Model of particle physics and discover new physics to describe the nature of the universe.

Here's the Huffington Post article:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

More than 6,000 scientists from more than 50 countries were involved in the research. The CDF and DZero experiments first detected the top quark in 1995, based on about 300,000 quark events produced by Fermilab's Tevatron (which was shut down in 2011). The LHC at CERN has produced the world's most top quark events, almost 18 million since it began running in 2009.

The four experiments at Fermilab and CERN used different methods to measure the top-quark mass, and each experiment had released their results previously. By collaborating closely to understand each other's methods and uncertainties, the teams were able to combine the measurements into a single robust value.

edit on 23-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

StormyStars

How's that? The only uses for the technology(ies) developed would be Faaster Than Light Speed travel as I know it. As far as weapons, I can't foresee what type(s) would manifest except for one that would add so much mass to a lifeform that it explodes or takes away so much mass that it disappears, vanishes, "Poof!"

Exactly, Case AND Point! lol!

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

lol! Thank you Mickey, er, Mr. Crowley er, I mean Aleister! l0l!

From 1 Science Ner, um, expert to another, dude, I just woke, from a 3 hour sleep. But you saved me time....I saw a documentary or news segment on this quite some time back, the Higgs Particle detected in 2012, will allow the describe the nature of the universe. The Quark will allow Scientists with the single robust value, which explains how other particles get their mass, is likened in similarities to the Tesla particle. Which is 1 of 18 reasons the program had been shut down, supposedly, as it is STILL unstable and used at extremely fast paces, caused a ' slight ' tornado/vortex which destroyed a millions of dollars if not more, destruction of equipment and they still haven't exactly figured out how. One Physicist stated it was more like a reverse tornado/vortex that could make the mass implode rather than explode, meaning the device is more a threat than an atomic bomb. They thought of travel mass. Not the quantum mass originally theorized. Now I am told they are building a machine for quantum mass IF they can reverse the particle, or rather, turn it inside out. Sounds like a machine for mass destruction. I can't quote this as it was a discussion of theoretical possibilities in solving energy problems. Which has potential of mass destructive power as well....lol! From the horse's er, mouth to my ears
Nice research. You deserve a star

Great find, thanks. This is quite important (and it seems very important results in many fields are coming a few a week right now, exciting for sure). Hopefully a science nerd, ah, expert, will be along to really explain the significance of this. For now, here is a quote from your source:

The new particle mass will allow scientists to test the mathematics of quantum connections among the top quark, the Higgs particle — the particle detected by the LHC in 2012, which explains how other particles get their mass — and the W boson, the carrier of the electroweak force.

Theoretical physicists can now investigate how the mass of the top quark will affect predictions of the stability of the Higgs field (the field associated with the Higgs particle), and the effects on the evolution of the universe. In addition, the new value will allow scientists to test for inconsistencies in the Standard Model of particle physics and discover new physics to describe the nature of the universe.

More than 6,000 scientists from more than 50 countries were involved in the research. The CDF and DZero experiments first detected the top quark in 1995, based on about 300,000 quark events produced by Fermilab's Tevatron (which was shut down in 2011). The LHC at CERN has produced the world's most top quark events, almost 18 million since it began running in 2009.

The four experiments at Fermilab and CERN used different methods to measure the top-quark mass, and each experiment had released their results previously. By collaborating closely to understand each other's methods and uncertainties, the teams were able to combine the measurements into a single robust value.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by StormyStars

interesting read. What program was shut down because of the vortex, the Fermilab machine? Haven't heard of that before, but I do miss a lot just because of the nature of the beast of continuing knowledge.

Eek. My name was a carryover from another site, which I didn't know I'd be on for so long (over four years) and came up with a nonsense name Aleister in Chains (a pun on Alice in Chains). I do like Crowley, among dozens of other folks, but am not an expert on his material although I'm familiar with it, and used that name as that pun and finally lopped off the in-chains after a couple of years there, then saw that it was available here. I wish more people would name their kids Aleister, it's got a nice ring to it, but Crowley may have ruined it for parents (he changed his original name to Aleister actually, or at least the spelling).

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

StormyStars

StormyStars

Exactly, Case AND Point! lol!

I'm sure there probably are other more terrifying uses of the potential technology(ies) developed as a result of these experiments. I'm more excited at the potential for FTL travel as a result of said experiments. Things are moving at a blinding pace nowadays whereas 20yrs ago these type of advancements seemed to take years upon years to mature. Now, it seems almost monthly.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

StormyStars

lol! Thank you Mickey, er, Mr. Crowley er, I mean Aleister! l0l!

From 1 Science Ner, um, expert to another, dude, I just woke, from a 3 hour sleep. But you saved me time....I saw a documentary or news segment on this quite some time back, the Higgs Particle detected in 2012, will allow the describe the nature of the universe. The Quark will allow Scientists with the single robust value, which explains how other particles get their mass, is likened in similarities to the Tesla particle. Which is 1 of 18 reasons the program had been shut down, supposedly, as it is STILL unstable and used at extremely fast paces, caused a ' slight ' tornado/vortex which destroyed a millions of dollars if not more, destruction of equipment and they still haven't exactly figured out how. One Physicist stated it was more like a reverse tornado/vortex that could make the mass implode rather than explode, meaning the device is more a threat than an atomic bomb. They thought of travel mass. Not the quantum mass originally theorized. Now I am told they are building a machine for quantum mass IF they can reverse the particle, or rather, turn it inside out. Sounds like a machine for mass destruction. I can't quote this as it was a discussion of theoretical possibilities in solving energy problems. Which has potential of mass destructive power as well....lol! From the horse's er, mouth to my ears
Nice research. You deserve a star

As there is no such thing as a "Tesla Particle", I think it is safe to assume that any description of equipment that uses it, is a complete fiction.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 04:49 AM
link   

interesting read. What program was shut down because of the vortex, the Fermilab machine? Haven't heard of that before, but I do miss a lot just because of the nature of the beast of continuing knowledge.

Eek. My name was a carryover from another site, which I didn't know I'd be on for so long (over four years) and came up with a nonsense name Aleister in Chains (a pun on Alice in Chains). I do like Crowley, among dozens of other folks, but am not an expert on his material although I'm familiar with it, and used that name as that pun and finally lopped off the in-chains after a couple of years there, then saw that it was available here. I wish more people would name their kids Aleister, it's got a nice ring to it, but Crowley may have ruined it for parents (he changed his original name to Aleister actually, or at least the spelling).

Hi lol!

It was called, ' Energy Efficient Quantum Mass Machine: Theoretical Trials." The machine was a disaster. It was on Discovery or similar approximately 2 to 2.5 years ago. I know 2 of the Scientists involved. lol! Believe it or not, it was being tested as a power alternative in more remote areas like Australia as a possible source to fix water shortages. That was a good thought for it's use, but, well, it created a vortex type effect which destroyed most of the machine and other costly equipment. I DID have a copy of the entire schematics, a design of the machine and how they thought it would work but I was on firefox browser and switched back to factory, restarting with the chrome browser. I have 2 SD chips, a USB and old laptop phone stick connector that I did back ups on. I will try, when not so tired and unwell, to go through the backups on the desk top computer. If I find it, I will post it.

lol!
I also think Aleister to be a lovely name.....I just have an odd sense of humor lol! It is only, the mouse, though very cute, seems in total, an atypical avatar for the name Aleister, lol, especially as you said, the connotations associated with that particular name. Plus I thought it to lighten up the seriousness of the thread lol! Thank you for seeing that and being such a good sport

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

As there is no such thing as a "Tesla Particle", I think it is safe to assume that any description of equipment that uses it, is a complete fiction.

Are you 100% certain of this? Or is it just a possible umbrella term when talking of fractals? Transverse and Lateral shifting of either particles and speed are quite popular discussions these days especially amongst peers. I'd check that out a bit more thoroughly before making such a rigid, bold statement. It is not for you alone to believe it a complete fiction or to state there is no such thing as a Tesla Particle.
" If you look, you will find it, use the objective force hidden within you and answers shall spring forth like water surely does when you have finally dug deep enough."
lol!

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   

I'm sure there probably are other more terrifying uses of the potential technology(ies) developed as a result of these experiments. I'm more excited at the potential for FTL travel as a result of said experiments. Things are moving at a blinding pace nowadays whereas 20yrs ago these type of advancements seemed to take years upon years to mature. Now, it seems almost monthly.

lol! I agree 100% with your statement. I am a subjective enough person to see both sides, but for me, THIS is what I find both scary & exciting," Things are moving at a blinding pace nowadays whereas 20yrs ago these type of advancements seemed to take years upon years to mature. Now, it seems almost monthly."

I am very interested on the positive prospects though, especially as a power source.

It is a great topic for reviewing & discussions so S&F lol!

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Hopefully a science nerd, ah, expert, will be along to really explain the significance of this.

I am neither an expert nor (I hope) a nerd, but this discovery adds yet another layer of bricks to the edifice of the Standard Model, which was looking a bit shaky before the discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012. Now, with this new discovery and the recent announcement of the discovery of primordial gravity waves, it's more solid.

Theoretical physicists can now investigate how the mass of the top quark will affect predictions of the stability of the Higgs field (the field associated with the Higgs particle), and the effects on the evolution of the universe. In addition, the new value will allow scientists to test for inconsistencies in the Standard Model of particle physics and discover new physics to describe the nature of the universe. Source

Whatever that means. I suspect it's bad news for the electric-universe apologists, the Einstein-was-a-dolt brigade, the Tesla worshippers and the rest of the merry crew, but they probably won't even notice.

edit on 24/3/14 by Astyanax because: of another brick in the wall.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I hear the hammer of Thor is heavy too.

If dropped it would create devastation.

They really don't understand lol

edit on 24-3-2014 by jazz10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Cool, I was actually waiting for a news like that. Thanks for the info, S&F!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   

StormyStars

Are you 100% certain of this? Or is it just a possible umbrella term when talking of fractals? Transverse and Lateral shifting of either particles and speed are quite popular discussions these days especially amongst peers. I'd check that out a bit more thoroughly before making such a rigid, bold statement. It is not for you alone to believe it a complete fiction or to state there is no such thing as a Tesla Particle.
" If you look, you will find it, use the objective force hidden within you and answers shall spring forth like water surely does when you have finally dug deep enough."
lol!

Of course!

I just realized!

It's what you get when you chip a bit off those cars powered by laptop batteries!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

" If you look, you will find it, use the objective force hidden within you and answers shall spring forth like water surely does when you have finally dug deep enough." lol!

lol! Meh! I starred you. Like yourself, I would imagine, I'm here to learn and impart any knowledge I may have that relates for interesting conversation. I am not a very good debater, I have to take the time to think things through then start the search engines in my ole laptop lol! Have a great day

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
As apparent resident Particle Physicist I can comment and say that all that has been reported is a global fit to all data available on the top quark in order to give us a increasingly accurate rest mass energy for this particle. It allows the standard model to be tested and appropriately updated.

An accurate measurement of the top rest mass, gives a nice firm test of the discovered Higgs.

The LHC is shut down for maintenance and accelerator upgrades as was part of the running program for the LHC as stipulated before the LHC actually turned on. Nothing that has occurred has prompted a coverup, the shut down is, was and always has been part of the schedule.

While it is true that we don't directly measure the mass, if you understood how the measurement is performed it would seem less mystical and more logical.

What we observe is the decay products and use measurements of momentum, track curvature and energy deposition in order to figure out what exactly happened at the collision vertex.

Tracking the decay channels and how much energy was there and the number of particles produced, can give you a very good handle on the rest mass of the collision and resultant decays.

Please also enlighten me on this Tesla particle...

new topics

top topics

join