Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Ukranian Navy No More , Its Russian Navy

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
www.thehindu.com...

The Russian Defence Ministry announced on Saturday that fewer that 2,000 of the more than 18,000 Ukrainian troops stationed in Crimea said they wanted to return to Ukraine and will be assisted in relocation. Russian flags have been raised on 54 out of 67 Ukrainian naval vessels, including eight combat ships and Ukraine’s only submarine. This would mean that Ukraine has lost almost its entire Navy.

54 out of its 67 ships including a lone submarine has joined Russia , one wonders how many Ukrainian Army units will actually fight the Russians before joining them ...

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

I wonder what Putin offered the soldiers as salary and benefits in the Russian army.

Probably a deal they could not refuse.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
reply to post by maddy21

I wonder what Putin offered the soldiers as salary and benefits in the Russian army.

Probably a deal they could not refuse.

~Tenth

Pensions of folks in Crimea has gone up significantly , am predicting they were offered better Packages as in Salaries, insurance, allowances etc...

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

one wonders how many Ukrainian Army units will actually fight the Russians before joining them ...

Probably none.

The whole deal is economic.

Ukraine signed some agreements with the EU Friday.....mostly economic.

Russia still may want some other ceding however. But I say there will not be any major fighting.

from the OP story....

Thousands of pro-Russian residents in Donetsk again rallied on Saturday to press their demand for a referendum on greater autonomy from Kiev. Similar rallies have been taking place in other cities in Ukraine’s south and east.

Looks like it will all be "settled" by negotiations and votes IMO.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Most of Ukraine will eventually side with Russia, esp after Eu economic realities hit home

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The more telling story is even though the Ukrainian government is clamoring after the EU and N.A.T.O., the people are against joining the latter. Then you now have another section in the eastern sector that is setting up a referendum to seceded and join Russia. Things are not looking rosy for the Ukraine nor is the new Ukrainian government in the best of positions.

Saying that Putin offered the soldiers an offer they can't refuse may or may not be accurate. They may have just looked at the situation and gone with their best bet. So far Russia's actions have spoken louder than Europe and the US's words. They didn't go in with guns blazing as not a shot has been fired. The US and the EU on the other hand can't say the same.
edit on 3/23/2014 by pstrron because: grammer

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Sadly the message here for every single cruddy despot and troubled nation state in the world is "give up your nukes and never control your own destiny again"

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Can't say a shot wasn't fired. 1 Ukrainian officer is dead and one injured. Me personally, Putin and the prime minister of Ukraine should have a sword fight to the death....winner takes all.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   

criticalhit
Sadly the message here for every single cruddy despot and troubled nation state in the world is "give up your nukes and never control your own destiny again"

Yep.

Ukraine's Broken Nuclear Promises

That deal, known as the Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances, was not a formal treaty but a diplomatic memorandum of understanding. Still, the terms couldn't be clearer: Russia, the U.S. and U.K. agreed "to respect the independence and sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine...reaffirm their obligation to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine, and that none of their weapons will ever be used against Ukraine."

edit on 3/23/2014 by ~Lucidity because: fixed link

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   

maddy21
www.thehindu.com...

The Russian Defence Ministry announced on Saturday that fewer that 2,000 of the more than 18,000 Ukrainian troops stationed in Crimea said they wanted to return to Ukraine and will be assisted in relocation. Russian flags have been raised on 54 out of 67 Ukrainian naval vessels, including eight combat ships and Ukraine’s only submarine. This would mean that Ukraine has lost almost its entire Navy.

54 out of its 67 ships including a lone submarine has joined Russia , one wonders how many Ukrainian Army units will actually fight the Russians before joining them ...

So basically the whole dang Ukraine Navy is under Russia now. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
No. I think they're lying. Those numbers are outrageous.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

~Lucidity
No. I think they're lying. Those numbers are outrageous.

That, or there is some deep propaganda on all sides.

This is nationalism we are talking about, this isn't about pay, or threats.

What makes people think Crimean soldiers are any less dedicated to their home land than any other nations?

IF that number is true, it speaks a lot to the will of the people in that part of the Ukraine.
edit on 23-3-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Agreed. Could be on both sides, but I think heavier leaning to one side. Which is exactly why it stinks. If the Ukrainian military is like any other military, their allegiance is to country not to province or autonomous whatever Crimea called itself. Just because they happened to be stationed there has little to do with what military they are in. This is all bull. And another feeble play to try to convince people that most of Ukraine is throwing in with Russia. Which I will never believe.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   

~Lucidity
reply to post by benrl

Agreed. Could be on both sides, but I think heavier leaning to one side. Which is exactly why it stinks. If the Ukrainian military is like any other military, their allegiance is to country not to province or autonomous whatever Crimea called itself. Just because they happened to be stationed there has little to do with what military they are in. This is all bull. And another feeble play to try to convince people that most of Ukraine is throwing in with Russia. Which I will never believe.

In theory, We can't assume Ukrainian military is like Ours.

They aren't a Nato Country, which means they may not have met our standards.

Also the lack luster resistance in Ukraine says they are not, atleast in capabilities like others.

The situation there can't be so cut and dry as They are millitary they shouldn't break rank, obviously some have, which raises the question of Why.

Nationalism is important to most people, their home land is their home land.

Its one thing, most would fight and die for if pressed, So your telling me in the face of "invaders" 18k, the majority there, switch sides?

That would be like if during the Revolution the Citizens Militias, overwhelmingly sided with the Red Coats on the issues.

Somethings not right, Its as if the Russians could possibly not be the ones seen as "invaders" on the ground.

\

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I meant to say that. But I think it's more like ours than not. Those numbers are just too ridiculous to be true. As were the election results. The math doesn't add up.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

GroidNificent
reply to post by pstrron

Can't say a shot wasn't fired. 1 Ukrainian officer is dead and one injured. Me personally, Putin and the prime minister of Ukraine should have a sword fight to the death....winner takes all.

If I remember correctly, the shooting was not done by any Russian soldiers so the part about Russia not firing a shot still stands. In regards to the sword fight, Putin hands down would win. He's ex (cough, cough) KGB and the other is a politician or in other words, hot air would meet cold steel.

On topic

With the Ukrainian Navy and 18,000 of their troops with the Russians and several areas wanting to secede, it would seem the people want to go with Russia and not the EU and NATO. Any time you find the US involved with setting up or influencing a countries government, there is a big rat meddling there. With everything the US and EU has been involved in this past decade, the Ukrainian people may very well be opting for Russia as they know what will happen if they dance with the US and EU.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

pstrron

GroidNificent
reply to post by pstrron

If I remember correctly, the shooting was not done by any Russian soldiers so the part about Russia not firing a shot still stands. In regards to the sword fight, Putin hands down would win. He's ex (cough, cough) KGB and the other is a politician or in other words, hot air would meet cold steel.

On topic

With the Ukrainian Navy and 18,000 of their troops with the Russians and several areas wanting to secede, it would seem the people want to go with Russia and not the EU and NATO. Any time you find the US involved with setting up or influencing a countries government, there is a big rat meddling there. With everything the US and EU has been involved in this past decade, the Ukrainian people may very well be opting for Russia as they know what will happen if they dance with the US and EU.

Oh. SO russians with no russian markings on their uniforms Who only report to Russia for orders,are just pro russian forces?
Come on man! Are you that simple to believe that the militia suddenly got russian tanks and weapons(still with russian markings)And just happenned to not be there weeks before in Crimea are not russian?

I guess american troops can do that too then since all we need to do is remove our patches correct? I swear people are really getting stupid these days. If regan was still alive and able to be president you would damn well see NATO troops in that country.
Our Commander in chief(who coudnt qualify for a cleareance similiar to NORAD personnel to save his life) is such a politician he will never do anything to screw with his legacy.

The Pro russian forces ARE russians though anyone with brain one can see that. Its a violation of the Geneva conventions too. A modern military Must be tagged with patches if they are acting liek military units in another country. Its apparently a Loophole russia is exploiting here. Still if they can play that game we can send in troops with no patches too.

new topics

top topics

join