It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rome has been remembered for its gladiator's, will America be remembered for its boxers?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The NFL is equivalent to the Roman Gladiators during the fall of Rome & the US. The Roman Bread & Circuses as their empire collapsed their only remaining care was getting drunk and watching gladiators kill people & the US their only remaining care is getting drunk & watching their....and you can figure it out the rest of the story.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I vote NFL players. Boxing is dead

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Not trying to point fingers or imply this is what you ment.... But you reminded me of an old Christian saying.

The claim that Rome fell due to it turning away from god and submitting to debauchere. However anyone who knows will tell you Rome swapped to Christianity before it's fall. In fact Rome went for a couple thousand years as a sucessful society while worshipping Zeus. While it fell after a few hundred years of Christian rule.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Football .....that is what America will be remembered for.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Gladiators were entertainers hyped to distract the empire from it's more serious problems. America will be remembered for it's entertainers.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

As most of the popular sports played throughout the world where invented in Britain, i don't think the question you posed is relevant.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Meldionne1

"Football" is something very different from that steroid packing armored trucks game you guys have...

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

FraternitasSaturni

Meldionne1

"Football" is something very different from that steroid packing armored trucks game you guys have...

Here in America we call it football...which is NFL to you....didn't you know that? ...what's your deal anyways...this is twice you've jabbed at me in 2 days. Got a problem?

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

The nfl isn't baseball when it comes to steroids. Those boys get checked a lot. There are constant suspensions even for pot.

IMHO NFL football is the best sport thus far created. The stratagy involved is just awsome. I think as armor ( as good a analogy as any) improves the damage incurred will continue to fall.

World football ( soccer) is an amazing sport as well. I would actually rank it number two. Is a great sport but the reason for its global appeal. Is it's inexpensive to play. All ya needs a ball.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Geez I hope not.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ArtemisE

Ill agree with you that the strategy behind football is very war like.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

ArtemisE
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

The nfl isn't baseball when it comes to steroids. Those boys get checked a lot. There are constant suspensions even for pot.

IMHO NFL football is the best sport thus far created. The stratagy involved is just awsome. I think as armor ( as good a analogy as any) improves the damage incurred will continue to fall.

World football ( soccer) is an amazing sport as well. I would actually rank it number two. Is a great sport but the reason for its global appeal. Is it's inexpensive to play. All ya needs a ball.

American football only comes 9th on this list:-

www.sporteology.com...

American football, was never a "proper invention" It is based on Rugby. As is baseball which was based on "Rounders"

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

SLAYER69

However truth also hurts .

link   
I just know that the "new" form of the sport is low-down. People used to say that those who kicked in fights "fought like a girl" (my apologies to any women reading this), but now they all want to? Give me boxing (and folks like Muhammad Ali and the Ukrainian brothers) anytime compared to the kicking boxing wannabees (what next, eye scratching?).

link   

pe·dan·tic
pəˈdantik/
adjective
adjective: pedantic

of or like a pedant.
"many of the essays are long, dense, and too pedantic to hold great appeal"
synonyms: overscrupulous, scrupulous, precise, exact, perfectionist, punctilious

The origins of a sport have nothing to do with how they are remembered.

I'm sure we can look at everything ever from your perspective but that would be boring.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

onequestion

pe·dan·tic
pəˈdantik/
adjective
adjective: pedantic

of or like a pedant.
"many of the essays are long, dense, and too pedantic to hold great appeal"
synonyms: overscrupulous, scrupulous, precise, exact, perfectionist, punctilious

The origins of a sport have nothing to do with how they are remembered.

I'm sure we can look at everything ever from your perspective but that would be boring.

LOL

For something to be remembered it had to be originated.

My God

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I've resisted. But the topoc of this thread is will America be remembered. Not where the bloody sport originated.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

VictorVonDoom
Gladiators were entertainers hyped to distract the empire from it's more serious problems. America will be remembered for it's entertainers.

I believe that the entertainers that distract from America's masses are ala the "Running Man," and the prevalence of Reality shows over the past decade. From Survivor to Honey Boo Hoo to the #Kardashians, these brainless shows are huge diversions that many worship, and find entertaining.

All combine both the audience's sick sense of humor and violence.

Truly disgusting.

edit on 23-3-2014 by watchesfromwall because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

~Lucidity

I've resisted. But the topoc of this thread is will America be remembered. Not where the bloody sport originated.

The OP's question was ludicrous. How can you compare a gladiator to a boxer. One is man verses animal the other is man verses man.
A truer comparison to a gladiator would be a bull fighter.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join