It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Out Break Confirmed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I couldnt see this on the site just yet.

I thought you all might like to read this, hopefully things get under control sharpish!!

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bishbop09
Looks like the CDC is running WAY behind on tracking too...2012?
www.cdc.gov...

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I can deal with the thought of most other ways to go but something like Ebola or Marburg spreading leaves a very unsettling feeling in my stomach. Hopefully they can be of some aid to the people suffering and keep it contained.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Most often Ebola wipes itself out by killing the host to quickly, stopping itself from spreading.
Anyway not a nice way to go.
edit on 22-3-2014 by ZeussusZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeussusZ

I don't know enough about it to know if this "spreading" is normal or a sign it may be getting out of control, but this is breaking news.

Highly contagious virus kills 59 people in Guinea, with fears the disease may have spread to neighbouring Sierra Leone. Last updated: 23 Mar 2014 02:37

www.aljazeera.com...

Hopefully you're right and it will wipe itself out.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeussusZ

Most often, but scientists can't resist tinkering with Pandora's treasures.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Call me stupid (which I likely am
) but I tend to fear disease outbreaks more than wars.. And I don't mean like some mild disease, but some of these crazy ones like Ebola that if they EVER spread at a major airport or something similar, the thoughts of how quickly it could spread worldwide is scary...

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

we've been rather lucky with the population number and it's projected growth it's not a matter of if but when.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

TechniXcality
reply to post by jhn7537

we've been rather lucky with the population number and it's projected growth it's not a matter of if but when.

I agree, we have been VERY lucky... I remember back in 2012, when The History channel was running doomsday 2012 shows non-stop and they went through the list of possible global killers, Nuclear wars, Asteroid hits, etc... But the one that stuck out to me as being the most likely global killer was a worldwide disease outbreak.. Like Ebola usually being isolated to Africa is a big relief for me, but I feel for those who live on that continent, but I've always wondered about some mad scientist weaponizing some disease and releasing it in some major city, ie New York. The possible/probable damage is hard to even comprehend, but I guess most global killers are....
edit on 22-3-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Is this the disease you can pick up from just walking through a jungle/forest?
edit on 22-3-2014 by gardener because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

gardener

Here ya go

World Health Organization

Transmission

Ebola is introduced into the human population through close contact with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected animals. In Africa, infection has been documented through the handling of infected chimpanzees, gorillas, fruit bats, monkeys, forest antelope and porcupines found dead or ill in the rainforest

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I really might get slammed for saying this BUT...thank the universe, the only people we really need to be worried about that could possibly carry the virus out of the affected regions are most likely in the medical fields, missionary workers, volunteer workers, etc. At least it narrows down carriers.

This is none the less a terrifying ordeal for anyone having to witness and/or care for the sick. Just awful 😢

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

ThePublicEnemyNo1

I really might get slammed for saying this BUT...thank the universe, the only people we really need to be worried about that could possibly carry the virus out of the affected regions are most likely in the medical fields, missionary workers, volunteer workers, etc. At least it narrows down carriers.

This is none the less a terrifying ordeal for anyone having to witness and/or care for the sick. Just awful 😢

When I was at DePaul University I was offered to do a study abroad program in Kenya and Uganda... There was a whole mess of reasons why I didn't go. My health, the conditions, food, large animals that can kill me, being right next to Somalia, being kidnapped/ransomed, etc... but one thing that always scared me was catching some disease, and when I did a little background on the two countries doing my due-diligence, I noticed that Uganda had an outbreak of Ebola back in 2007 (and many other outbreaks throughout the years), where 149 people got the Ebola disease and a good 40 died... Maybe I missed out on a once in a lifetime experience, but I came across WAY too many variables that made me feel very uncomfortable...
edit on 22-3-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

jhn7537

gardener

Here ya go

Transmission

Ebola is introduced into the human population through close contact with the blood, secretions, organs or other bodily fluids of infected animals. In Africa, infection has been documented through the handling of infected chimpanzees, gorillas, fruit bats, monkeys, forest antelope and porcupines found dead or ill in the rainforest

Thanks. Does anyone recall the name of the disease (think its a virus, but might be a bacteria or bacteriophage) that remains dormant in soil for DECADES and then when someone comes into contact with as little as a speck of dirt in the jungle, they contract this disease - without direct contact with infected anmals' fluids whatsoever - and then can spread it to other humans contageously??

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Shhhh, maybe the genetic Dr Frankensteins of today forgot about that one.

I wonder if anyone really knows how much testing South Africa did while trying to perfect the racial virus they were working on. Not saying that there's definitely a correlation between hemorrhagic fevers and their experiments. But there sure could be.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

gardener

jhn7537

gardener

Here ya go

Transmission

Thanks. Does anyone recall the name of the disease (think its a virus, but might be a bacteria or bacteriophage) that remains dormant in soil for DECADES and then when someone comes into contact with as little as a speck of dirt in the jungle, they contract this disease - without direct contact with infected anmals' fluids whatsoever - and then can spread it to other humans contageously??

Anthrax?

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

I think you're looking for the Hantavirus

Any activity that puts you in contact with rodent droppings, urine, saliva, or nesting materials can place you at risk for infection. Hantavirus is spread when virus-containing particles from rodent urine, droppings, or saliva are stirred into the air. It is important to avoid actions that raise dust, such as sweeping or vacuuming. Infection occurs when you breathe in virus particles.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
FWIW, there are some areas of the world where disease is common that would raise alarms in 10 ways, if seen anywhere else. Ebola isn't uncommon for quick outbreaks and burnouts appearing in some of Africa. They don't seem to last long and are in the same areas. I suppose it's when one flies out of the region while infectious someday that things will all change.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I've traveled to Central Africa three times and yes, you missed a wonderful opportunity. However, I understand anyone not wanting to travel there based on health concerns. Although most viruses (not diseases) are pretty much isolated to a very specific region...anything is possible. Besides, there's probably more yucky stuff lurking in your kitchen than in Africa that can harm you. Especially if you prepare raw meats.

I learned a lot!!! I would go back today if I could. You could go into a restroom at your local restaurant, wash your hands then touch the faucet AGAIN bare handed to turn it off and catch a host of viruses. Nothing anywhere is safe unless you take some serious precautions. I'm a germaphobe so to speak, so I tend to over do it when I'm in public places.

I get dirty looks everytime I open a bathroom door with a napkin, but who cares. Gotta' live life my way 😊👍
edit on 3/23/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: Can't spell this evening...sorry

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Very true.

That's what I was saying. The WHO most likely is only concerned with those traveling out of an affected area. Trust me, they will not be allowed to board a plane for quite sometime, until their health stats and prior locations have been checked. Nor shoud they attempt to board a plane.

However, there's always that one 😔

edit on 3/23/14 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: Spelling

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join