It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UPDATE 2-European Union signs landmark political deal with Ukraine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Well it looks like Ukraine is one step closer to becoming part of the European Union.

Big signings took place Friday and Putin also signed more documents concerning Crimea.

Now when will Ukraine be "officially" part of the EU?

And when will Ukraine be a NATO member?

Big changes happening in that part of the world.

I suppose all this just "happened" all by its natural self with no "outside" interference?

And it "certainly" is the *will of the people* too eh?

BRUSSELS, March 21 (Reuters) - The European Union and Ukraine signed a landmark political cooperation accord on Friday, committing to the same deal former president Viktor Yanukovich rejected last November, a decision that led to his overthrow.

Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseny Yatseniuk, EU presidents Herman Van Rompuy and Jose Manuel Barroso, and the leaders of the bloc's 28 nations signed the core chapters of the Association Agreement during an EU summit in Brussels.

Soon afterwards, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed legislation completing the process of absorbing Crimea into Russia, defying Western leaders who say the Black Sea peninsula remains part of Ukraine.

UPDATE 2-European Union signs landmark political deal with Ukraine

related article...
Ukraine signs deal with European Union

the "agreements"......
EU-Ukraine Association Agreement – the complete texts

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Big news, congratulations Ukraine and now other eastern block countries will follow suit to complete the self par from Putin

To add
www.telegraph.co.uk...

So it seems that the EU has finally woken up to the fact that soviets never really left Moscow... "Finally"

edit on 22-3-2014 by TritonTaranis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Looks like the only Russian gas that will be flowing is Putin farting in the wind.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AreUKiddingMe

Natural gas is certainly a big issue.

Maybe Russia's Gazprom will be "forced" to lower prices?

I don't know if North America (or anybody else) can create a supply chain so fast.

The Syrian conflict will become more "important" now I think.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

From the article from user TritonTaranis, the EU is now scrambling to end dependence on Russian natural gas.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Things are not going to end well.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

This is really something isn't it?

Russian shares fell sharply after President Barack Obama also threatened on Thursday to target major sectors of the economy if Moscow tried to move on other areas of Ukraine beyond the Black Sea peninsula.

Officials and lawmakers in Moscow have largely laughed off Western sanctions imposed after Russian troops seized control of Crimea. A referendum in the majority Russian-speaking region - which overwhelmingly backed union with Russia but was denounced by Washington and the European Union as a sham - then opened the way for the annexation.

Putin signs Laws
At one time in our history, we had Real Men leading our Nation that other leaders respected.
Now we Have,,,,

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Looks like the highway to Afghanistan via Russia may be closed and Nato/US supply route may have to go via Pakistan . Someone said ,think Saigon x 10 ,except those drone attacks were not appreciated one bit . Somebody is going to get hurt real bad ...

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Question for our European members.

Does membership in the EU also include any defense pacts? I know the EU has a military council type setup. Is it the same as NATO where an attack on one EU member is an attack on all or?

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

From what I have been reading I think the US is going to try to plug the gaps for natural gas in Europe. I also saw where EU countries are also "scrambling" to reduce their dependence on energy resources coming from Russia / east.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Can't join NATO if there are internal problems
besides most of the country was/is against it
edit on 22-3-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

all2human
Can't join NATO if there are internal problems
besides most of the country was/is against it
edit on 22-3-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

I was reading upon that. From what I saw they met the criteria in 2010 and opted not to join due to Russian objections, among other. I was surprised to see the numbers in support of joining that low (10%-25% +/-). The people who were not sure, if they all opted to join NATO, would almost create a 50/50 split within a margin of error.

I am curious what that percentage might be after the mess that occurred.

I would be curious to see polling results from now and maybe 6 - 12 months after to see the thought process. I know polling can get skewed when taken during an incident that affects everyone.

Do you by chance know about the EU question I asked another poster? (The mutual defense for EU.)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Not European, but is it this?

Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP) of the European Union
European Union Military Committee (EUMC)

edit on 3/23/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   

~Lucidity

Not European, but is it this?

Common Foreign and Security Policy (CFSP) of the European Union
European Union Military Committee (EUMC)

edit on 3/23/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

Thanks for the links...

It looks like attack on one is an attack on all (partially) -
About CSDP - Overview - Security and Defense
Berlin Plus Agreement

Should be interesting to see how that plays out. From the looks of the berlin Plus agreement NATO assets can be allocated to EU missions.
edit on 23-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

So by extrapolation, if an attack on one is an attack on all and some are NATO...NATO would cover Ukraine should further military actions from Russia occur there?

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   

~Lucidity

So by extrapolation, if an attack on one is an attack on all and some are NATO...NATO would cover Ukraine should further military actions from Russia occur there?

The NATO attachment, from what I have found so far, allows access to some NATO units / certain equipment / logistics support. To me the info seams vague, most likely to allow flex in the agreement.

As for the attack on one is an attack on all - From what I see it applies to NATO only. If Ukraine becomes a part of the EU, and is attacked by Russia, the EU response I don't think would meet NATO criteria. It seems pretty straight forward that a NATO country has to be attacked first. In the case of EU and Ukraine, I would guess that since its an EU pact, and EU countries assisted Ukraine, would mean those EU countries are essentially "attacking first" and not defending.

That's a guess though...

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   
When will the folks realize this about $$$ and resources..

Not about the folks...

How much longer will we allow those who play conflict games using our progeny as pawns to continue their greed?

Call me old school, defense of the nation is one thing, that's patriotic.. abusing that patriotism to further secure riches for those in control, is beyond reprehensible....

They do it cause they can... wake up folks, don't be a pawn in their game.....

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I'm pretty sure just about everyone realizes this. There isn't much in this world today that isn't.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

If that is the case... how do they still succeed with this method?

Get folks ready to kill.. for their own gains?

Out on a limb here... hoping / praying that we here, can put a dent into what look's to be a move to have us all ready to kill each other...

We are fortunate here, to have the opportunity to differ in ideology across the globe, sure, folks get out of hand from time to time, but here, it's words, it's a discussion... not so much a focused propaganda deal that GOVT likes to use to fuel patriotism based on someone's bottom line...

I am tired of the best the US has to offer, served up as a solution to a pissing match between energy companies...

They (energy) must know this since there is a move to privately hired security deals that circumvent international nation on nation deals...

This can stop... if...WE wake up.. that's all I can say without breaching T&Cs..

Please.... everyone... set aside bias, research the past year, dig dig dig...

Come to your own position, but do not form your opinion on what you have heard on the MSM...

Make up your own mind

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   

How they do it is simple to see. They do it by polarizing people and with propaganda, including patriotism. They do it by threatening jobs to create submissive masses and with empty promises. They do it by creating false conflicts to stir people up and with fake enemies and most of all by instilling fear. And even if you know they're doing it, we're too fractured and too paralyzed in too many areas to ever become cohesive enough to fight this thing. We're to busy trying to live and bickering about things that don't really matter...those things they tell us to fight about. You know the list.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
You can bet your bippy that theres plenty of western Ukrainians that are willing to stand for their country and face the Russian Bear.....
But id say after all the betrayals that have happened to them they are just as likely to be betrayed again......
Still they WILL stand.....that's how the Banksters do it to us....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join