It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Golfer knocks woman out cold, then plays through!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
He wasn't joking and it figures it would happen in Texas. I'm surprised the golfer wasn't Dick Cheyney with a loaded driver. Here's the story link.

www.upi.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Off topic but caught Caddyshack: Inside Story on Bio Channel last night.

Very good if you get a chance to see it.

Caddyshack

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Good or bad, under Texas law, there is no duty to become a Good Samaritan.

I suspect there is more to this case that is not being reported. I'm sure we don't know all the facts.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
I can't help but wonder how much the attitude of the golfer defined him as being added to the suit vs. the general approach of just 'sue everyone and let the Judge sort it out' (which also seems too common these days)?

There really are more important things than Golf. Sheesh. What is happening out there

It sounds like one of those whose insurance companies is at fault messes.

Its like when you have a multi car accident. If a driver slams into the back of one car, creating a chain reaction accident where 5 cars are damaged, each vehicle owner would need to sue the person who hit them, who would in turn sue the person who hit them, etc all the way back to the originating vehicle.

Around my area where you have golf courses in a neighborhood setting, its usually taken into account with home owners insurance (IE damage from golf balls through windows etc) as well as insurance for the controlling property owner of the golf course.

Legalities aside I am not sure why the golfer did what they did... Wiping blood off the ball and playing on.

I wonder if the golfer took a mulligan....

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Zanti Misfit
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

He did say FORE though.......

yeah but he didn't say "fore head".....this is where the legal issue really is...

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Long day. My eyes are tired. I read the headline as "Colter knocks woman out cold, then plays through!" and thought to myself, man she really isn't a nice person, is she?

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Golf, it spoils a good walk

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   

well i think it comes down to the fact that you have compassion and empathy where this golfer guy clearly has none and sadly the world is full of people who only care about number 1 or a hole in 1 as the case may be

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

My game would have been over right then. I would have stayed and dressed the wound and offered any support I could.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Growing up our backyard was at the 8th hole/9th tee of a golf course. When we were little, we were told that if any golfers were coming up the fairway we had to leave the backyard and come in. We always found golf balls in our backyard and every so often we'd see strangers with golf clubs walking through the yard looking for their balls.

Never got hit by one. But I can still remember hearing my dad cuss'n when he'd mow the lawn and a golf ball would shoot out the mower.

And yes .. our house was there WAY before that golf course moved in.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I played with a black guy one time, and he said... "golf is the only game that a brother can hit little white balls with a club, and legally get away with it"...I cracked up, but, I stood a little farther away whenever he was swinging a club.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

i've been fighting the urge to post this i can't resist any longer.
i'll only post the link because of language. give about a minute before he talks about golf, pretty damn funny.

Robin Williams on Golf.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
As someone who has experience in these matters:

The golfer is legally responsible for any damage. injuries , etc that occurs from his ball, club, etc.. The hardest part is identifying the golfer which in this case seems to have been done.

Golf courses generally are not responsible for damages caused by golfers. Unless it is a good will gesture they do not have to replace windows, roof tiles, etc.

Changes to the golf course, which can change the risk of those living nearby are actionable.

I find it likely that both the golfer and the golf course will end be liable. Golf course will likely need to reroute the hole, build obstacles if it is found that the new hole design has indeed elevated the risk of neighbors.

I don't understand those that simply play golf for enjoyment. It is generally not enjoyable. Golf at a high level is a challenge where you either fail or succeed. Only meeting those challenges makes golf enjoyable. To me it is the same as climbing for instance, Mt. Everest. The enjoyment only comes from the challenge and any ultimate success. For the most part it is not FUN. If you play golf for fun, you don't want to play with me.
edit on 23-3-2014 by sligtlyskeptical because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

AthlonSavage
golf is a lame game

Golf comes in right after watching paint dry on the barn and watching fishing on TV.

At least they put trees and holes with water around to make screwing up a meaningful experience.

All this probably helps to create a person who is more concerned about his expensive golf ball then a person beaned. Just another hazard, for the golfer.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
wow. crazy story.

Some important questions though that NEED to be addressed..

1 - did he have to take a penalty on that hit?
2 - what was his score on that hole?

joking aside, I have 0 sympathy for folks that buy, build and live along golf courses and don't expect it to interfere with their environment.

Reminds me of the "Point vs Counter-Point" part in the movie Airplane.
"They bought their tickets.......
They Knew what they were getting in to.
I say........Let Em Crash"

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
that the golf ball was covered in blood from a millisecond impact with a head is dubious. and the ball weighs 1.62 oz. please explain how that knocks one out and cuts a gash in the head...
i smell bull whap and law suit.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

darkstar57
that the golf ball was covered in blood from a millisecond impact with a head is dubious. and the ball weighs 1.62 oz. please explain how that knocks one out and cuts a gash in the head...
i smell bull whap and law suit.

here ya go.

Guidelines The USGA and R&A (European golf governing body) rule that the velocity of the golf ball shall not be greater than 250 ft. (76.2 m.) per second. A maximum tolerance of 2 percent will be allowed.

Effects on Speed Besides club speed, there are other factors that can affect ball velocity. Hitting the sweet spot of the club is the most important factor. The material of the club and angle of approach can also produce varying ball speeds. Titanium offers the greatest increase to ball velocity. Equation To capture the velocity of the ball use this equation: velocity = (clubhead speed x coefficient of restitution) / (1.0 + (mass of ball / mass of clubhead)) 1.62 oz. is the weight of most golf balls.

Example of Velocity With a 100-mph swing using an 11-degree driver with .825 COR and 200 gram head weight, assuming a center hit the golf ball, velocity would be 148 mph.

Considerations That fastest velocity is just after impact. The golf ball will continue to lose speed until it reaches its peak height. The ball will than face loss of momentum and spin rate due to air resistance and gravity. From that point the golf ball will reach a max speed of 72 mph.

How Fast Does a Golf Ball Travel?

so if your hit with something weighing 1.62 oz moving at 72 mph, i think it would bust skin and crack bone, that's a lot of force moving at 72 mph. at just over 1 1/2 in diameter.

it is also said that some can drive the the ball up to 180 mph, which in turn would increase the speed that the ball slow to.
edit on 23-3-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

TXRabbit
joking aside, I have 0 sympathy for folks that buy, build and live along golf courses and don't expect it to interfere with their environment.

that and folks that build their homes and businesses, on the beaches in the gulf or the atlantic, or in a flood plain and whine when a storm comes and washes them away. what did ya think was gonna happen.
edit on 23-3-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by darkstar57

You can't understand how something small can knock someone out? Hell, I'm not even close to professional material, and when I was testing out a new driver on a simulator, I was getting speeds of the ball off the clubface between 140 and 180 kilometers per hour. Fire something that fast at somebodies head, and the only way they AREN'T going to be knocked out is if they have a titanium skull. And even then, they will be in a world of pain!

And if the guy that did this was a pro, he would be hitting the longer, harder and faster. Most pro's swing the club alot faster than amateurs, and the current average ballspeed off the clubface for PGA pro's is 167mph (almost 275km/h), according to Trackman, which tracks these kinds of things. So you can see why people get injured so badly when hit, and how there is a good chance they can get knocked out.

And as others have said in this thread, that's the risk you take when living by/on a golf course. Sure, what the guy was pretty crappy, but there are obvious risks coming with living so close to a course.

Edit:- Dammit, Hounddoghowlie beat me to it!!! But you get the point

edit on 23-3-2014 by TerribleTeam2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Not much to add except this vid from the classic movie "falling down" pretty much sums up what i have to say about the situation
www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join