It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Golfer knocks woman out cold, then plays through!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Okay folks. This is hard to believe, but consider the source reporting it. It's not a tabloid, but a filed court case for a real Judge somewhere to have to deal with. Apparently, someone actually did this!

Percenti was celebrating her birthday in April 2013 when she was knocked unconscious and blood "began gushing" from her skull, she says in the lawsuit.

"Soon thereafter, defendant Rooker walked up to the backyard of the property looking for his ball," the 28-page complaint states. "He had been playing Hole 1 on defendant Grey Rock's golf course. Plaintiff's son-in-law told defendant Rooker that his golf ball had hit plaintiff in the head and directed him to the ball, which was covered in blood. Defendant Rooker wiped plaintiff's blood off of his ball and continued playing his golf game."

Now I'm not familiar with this housing tract or how it works there. I've known of some where the homes adjoining the Golf Course are expected to deal with occasional balls dropping into backyard areas. There is an added issue though, and it makes the lawsuit on the property owners a clear thing, in my personal opinion.

Percenti says that after the incident, it was discovered that the tee box for Hole 1 had been changed due to construction, increasing the number of times golf balls would be struck near and into her property.
Source: Courthouse News

I can't help but wonder how much the attitude of the golfer defined him as being added to the suit vs. the general approach of just 'sue everyone and let the Judge sort it out' (which also seems too common these days)?

There really are more important things than Golf. Sheesh. What is happening out there

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I guess you're not too familiar with the golfer mentality...

Can't let a little ol' bump on the head ruin a perfectly good golf game, dontcha know ?!

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
would he take a penalty for cleaning off his ball?

But I also wonder if they live on a golf course at their own peril. Not saying I would have acted the same way as the golfer did, but if the wound wasn't life threatening, she had assistance and he is not a doctor...what do you really have to do?

Maybe it could be seen as leaving the scene of an accident?

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I think there are very much more important things than golf. Like tending to world affairs, a crumbling economy, things of that nature.

Unfortunately it sounds like a reflection of our President in that court case...

People have gone insane Wrabbit. I know this case shocks you, and it should. I wonder if the Judge is an avid golfer...

Des

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
golf is a lame game

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I wonder if the Judge is an avid golfer...

If he is, the plaintiff hasn't a hope in hell of winning this one.

It's like a bloody cult.

The end of the world could be happening all around you, but like hell if you're going to stop playing and wreck any opportunity to get that long awaited birdy that you've worked so hard for.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

What does someone actually have to do? Not much...and it wouldn't surprise me to hear it doesn't go far against the Golfer. The course changing something to put balls into her yard more often is a whole different thing, I think.

It's just the difference between "have to" and "able to" or is "the right thing to do" like, maybe showing some human compassion...which it doesn't sound like the guy did by the cold recitation of events from the family member.

That must have been some hit for that much blood on the ball itself. Maybe that ..ahem.. freak shot was right to the temple or something? Anyway, I think I'd feel compelled to offer whatever help I could and show some regret. The mental image is hard to believe happening that way, but it's an official statement as a court case.

I'd probably figure my game time ended when someone else's consciousness did. eeeek...

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Maybe the golfer will counter sue for interfering with his game. This is America you know, lawyers rule and golf is big on the agenda. As mentioned above wonder if the judge is a golfer? If so the inured party (not talking about the golfer) is going to have a tough case ahead.

I liken living along a golf course to having a house past the end of a rifle range, just plain dangerous. Still that was pretty cold just playing through without a "by your leave" or anything. Your title made me grin (sheepishly) a bit though.
edit on 129pm3333pm92014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

He did say FORE though.......

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
have a friend who bought a house/property that backed up against a farm.

the farm was sold to a developer, who sold/turned it into a golf course.

as the years went by they had their backyard, house siding and such 'damaged' by 'errant shots'

the golf course, after folks bitching and complaining paid to have fences [15'-20' high' erected along all the 'facing property's' backyards, etc.

end of story/problem..
while that doesn't address nor cover individual residences that have their own driving ranges/par 3s, etc.

you damage someone's self or property - you're libel for the same. imho

???

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
What is wrong with people and what is especially wrong with this sport. I've had some sour experiences with it - impatient angry adult children who are so serious that you would think they have bet their soul to the devil if they don't get that next ball in within a specified period of time.

My son wanted to try golfing so we went - shop owner said, "no we can't have kids (11 year olds) because the golfers are serious and don't want the problems that come with inexperience" - So how does he get experience I asked, "ummm...I don't know - there aren't many courses that allow kids".

In this situation - it's worse than Vegas - just run over whoever is in your way (as an adult) to have your fun (or whatever it is to those who are this obsessed with swatting a ball with a stick). Screwed up values.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I liken living along a golf course to having a house past the end of a rifle range, just plain dangerous.

Unfortunately, most residents are living there long before a golf course comes along.

Most golf courses put up 20 foot chain link fences all around their perimeter to reduce the potential liability issues that this case demonstrates. But even that doesn't always prevent a rogue ball from smashing through someone's window(s).
edit on 22-3-2014 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
She has 0% chance of getting money out of the golfer - while the guy is a complete moron & jerk she won't get any money out of him. Golfers have no duty to yell "fore" to non participants of the game which neighbors of a golf club are considered.

She would have to prove the guy hit the shot or entered her land intentionally, recklessly or negligently - it was just a bad shot. It is implied neighbors of a golf courses are in the danger zone and should be heads up at all times.

She can probably get money out of the Golf Club...plenty of case law on this.

Page 23 specifically on this issue.

FORE

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Anyway, I think I'd feel compelled to offer whatever help I could and show some regret. The mental image is hard to believe happening that way, but it's an official statement as a court case.

Bad as it sounds, you would simply increase your liability. I don't even know what happened and I'm sorry for her.

Everyone who lives on a country club knows the deal. You're at great risk of taking an errant ball ... and it happens a lot. Somebody busts your plate glass front window and you deal with the inconvenience while the club picks up the bill. Knowing this keeps the focus on the game and not the player.

I skulled a ball over a green into a car once. The driver came at me with a tire iron. He lost to a foursome of wedges and took the consummate beating of his life. No regrets. The guy turned an accident into a very serious event. His choice ... and while I honor his right to make it ... he lost.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Golf is not for sissies ! I used to have hundreds of golf jokes and funny videos... Alas all erased... Most HOA's with houses on a golf course say live at your own risk... However by not calling "4" and not playing the ball as it lies the golfing dude used very poor judgement IMO. (dry sense of humor, joke, don't take me serious)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
First, I find it difficult to understand how a golf ball became covered in blood from knocking out a person. Given the nature of this accident, it seems the ball would have had to entered her skull cavity in order to acquire the blood. It's safe to assume the ball likely hit the victim, then bounced off her head. Her head then began to bleed. Of course, she may have fallen next to the ball covering it with blood.

More importantly, it remains unclear if the player received a penalty stroke for picking up the ball and dropping it. I would guess he did because the location this occurred is probably considered out of bounds. In this case, the golfer was likely agitated by the penalty stroke, which may have led to his callous behavior of not attending to the unconscious victim.

At the end of the day, I believe if you choose to live near/on a golf course, you are aware and accept the potential consequences. Imagine living at the end of an airport runway and something goes wrong.

USGA Rules and Decisions:

19-1. By Outside Agency (Any agency other than either the player’s or opponent’s side, any caddie of either side, any ball played by either side at the hole being played or any equipment of either side,)

If a player’s ball in motion is accidentally deflected or stopped by any outside agency, it is a rub of the green, there is no penalty and the ball must be played as it lies, except:

a. If a player’s ball in motion after a stroke other than on the putting green comes to rest in or on any moving or animate outside agency, the ball must through the green or in a hazard be dropped, or on the putting green be placed, as near as possible to the spot directly under the place where the ball came to rest in or on the outside agency, but not nearer the hole, and

b. If a player’s ball in motion after a stroke on the putting green is deflected or stopped by, or comes to rest in or on, any moving or animate outside agency, except a worm, insect or the like, the stroke is canceled. The ball must be replaced and replayed.

27-1. Stroke and Distance; Ball Out of Bounds; Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes
b. Ball Out of Bounds

If a ball is out of bounds, the player must play a ball, under penalty of one stroke, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

jrflipjr
First, I find it difficult to understand how a golf ball became covered in blood from knocking out a person. Given the nature of this accident, it seems the ball would have had to entered her skull cavity in order to acquire the blood. It's safe to assume the ball likely hit the victim, then bounced off her head. Her head then began to bleed. Of course, she may have fallen next to the ball covering it with blood.

More importantly, it remains unclear if the player received a penalty stroke for picking up the ball and dropping it. I would guess he did because the location this occurred is probably considered out of bounds. In this case, the golfer was likely agitated by the penalty stroke, which may have led to his callous behavior of not attending to the unconscious victim.

At the end of the day, I believe if you choose to live near/on a golf course, you are aware and accept the potential consequences. Imagine living at the end of an airport runway and something goes wrong.

USGA Rules and Decisions:

19-1. By Outside Agency (Any agency other than either the player’s or opponent’s side, any caddie of either side, any ball played by either side at the hole being played or any equipment of either side,)

If a player’s ball in motion is accidentally deflected or stopped by any outside agency, it is a rub of the green, there is no penalty and the ball must be played as it lies, except:

a. If a player’s ball in motion after a stroke other than on the putting green comes to rest in or on any moving or animate outside agency, the ball must through the green or in a hazard be dropped, or on the putting green be placed, as near as possible to the spot directly under the place where the ball came to rest in or on the outside agency, but not nearer the hole, and

b. If a player’s ball in motion after a stroke on the putting green is deflected or stopped by, or comes to rest in or on, any moving or animate outside agency, except a worm, insect or the like, the stroke is canceled. The ball must be replaced and replayed.

27-1. Stroke and Distance; Ball Out of Bounds; Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes
b. Ball Out of Bounds

If a ball is out of bounds, the player must play a ball, under penalty of one stroke, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5)

I agree: I have seen people hit in the head from errant balls and they can be knocked flat out with a big goose egg and everything.. Never have I seen gushing blood no matter how good the shot was. She might have been knocked out and fell hitting her head for a scalp wound that bleed profusely over the ball that just happened to be laying close enough to get red and wet ? Poor lady bet it did hurt..

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The problem is the woman who got knocked unconscious was not the primary concern.
What kind of heartless animatron would walk away from an injured person whether it was their fault or not?
Failure to aid an injured person should be a crime.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Asktheanimals
The problem is the woman who got knocked unconscious was not the primary concern.
What kind of heartless animatron would walk away from an injured person whether it was their fault or not?
Failure to aid an injured person should be a crime.

sadly enough..
people.

today.

[ETA]

not all.

still ...

some.

edit on 3/22/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Only speaking from experience. But most "golfers" I meet are self entitled, self important a-holes.

Maybe the game just attracts this type of person.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join