It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rectification of Names

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

I guess it is just a valid way of identifying with a belief, or way of life, like ''vegetarian'' or ''liberal'', it is just another way of describing the ethos or ideals to which an individual aspires, in more detail than just man /woman.

It is probably essential to have such names for groups otherwise how would their ideals / ethics be made known, for example Christian denotes certain beliefs and qualities that affect an individual, Jew has it's own ideals and qualities to which those that define themselves as such aspire, for example Kashrut / Kosher, similarly for Muslims and other religions where their beliefs affect the things they do every day such as eating and praying, hence using collective names for those beliefs is only natural.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

I guess it is just a valid way of identifying with a belief, or way of life, like ''vegetarian'' or ''liberal'', it is just another way of describing the ethos or ideals to which an individual aspires, in more detail than just man /woman.

It is probably essential to have such names for groups otherwise how would their ideals / ethics be made known, for example Christian denotes certain beliefs and qualities that affect an individual, Jew has it's own ideals and qualities to which those that define themselves as such aspire, for example Kashrut / Kosher, similarly for Muslims and other religions where their beliefs affect the things they do every day such as eating and praying, hence using collective names for those beliefs is only natural.

Very good point. I agree.

In the OP I intimated that one takes such a label for reasons of vanity, meaning that he wears the name like one would a dress, to let others know how he thinks, his culture, before ever having to live up to what the label entails. I think this is a similar to what you are saying about making ideals and ethics known.

I mean, the last Christian died on the cross. Emulating the beliefs of Jesus is impossible, and all one can do is adhere to the rhetoric and culture that Christ created. Beliefs are only ever described, but never shared. They are personal. So I think one is Christian by name only, living up to nothing but the culture of the religion.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Aphorism
Our masks and costumes is art in its purest form.

Dressed by parent.
Dressed by uniform.
Dressed by ambiance.
Dressed by self.
Dressed by bye.
edit on 24-3-2014 by ErgoTheMirror because: Soppy sloppiness...

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Aphorism
reply to post by AfterInfinity

You're not?

en.wikipedia.org...

I wasn't aware you spoke Greek. I used the english form of the word.

I was being funny, but apparently this is srs bsns.

edit on 24-3-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

The funny thing about comedy is honesty.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

ErgoTheMirror

The funny thing about comedy is honesty.

I've already explained the irony.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I was being funny, but apparently this is srs bsns.

You didn't get my humor either? Apparently, sarcasm is impossible on the internet.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

The funny thing about irony is Socrates.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

ErgoTheMirror

The funny thing about irony is Socrates.

I don't think that was the intention here. Or was that your intention?
edit on 24-3-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
I don't think that was the intention here. Or was that your intention?

I'm just being amused.

Wait... are you being srs?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join