It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man v. Food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
If you've ever watched this show on the Travel Channel I hope you'll comment in this thread.

The premise of this show is that the host takes on eating challenges in various cities of the US. Most of the time he wins. Sometimes he loses.

When I first started watching this show I didn't think about it much except to notice some really good food. Then it occurred to me that even when it wasn't a food challenge there were grotesque amounts of food being eaten. Soon thereafter I grew almost nauseated watching them make some of these sandwiches and plates.

I'm wondering how people eat so much food without vomiting. I'm wondering why we feel the need to make and eat such huge portions. It seems almost a move by the devil to engage us in gluttony.

I can't begin to imagine what other countries think of our consumption and our overall eating habits. Frankly, I'm embarrassed.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
What was equally entertaining, yet sickening, was watching his body transform over the years. He looked like he was going to have a coronary in the later episodes -- which is why I think the Travel Channel had him host Man V. Food Nation so others could do the eating.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Gluttony - A big Sin! Followed by baseball,hot dogs and apple pie, great American pastimes.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

My brother and I used to watch it out of morbid curiosity as to the Host fluctuation in weight.

Sometimes during those challenges when hes sweating... Thought the dude was gonna collapse into his food.

Clearly its a symptom of a sicker whole.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I think it is disgusting. We Americans are definitely obsessed with large portions. The thing I think of most often is how when I was a kid and we'd go to a fast food place, I'd order a small soda. And, it would actually be small. The small size now is what was once considered a medium. And The medium is what was once called a large (or supersize) soda. It's crazy. I try to completely avoid fast food these days.

When my family goes out to a nice restaurant for dinner, we can usually get three meals out of one. So we get take out boxes, and our dinner will become the next day's lunch AND dinner.

I find myself grossed out when I order a meal and it comes heaped on the plate in a huge pile. It always makes me think of people who don't have enough (or any) food to eat, and here we are gorging ourselves.

link   
He lost 50 pounds since he did the show. Looks pretty good.

I also thought he would have a heart attack every time he did those hot sauce challenges, especially the Shut Up Juice.

link   
reply to post by Restricted

The mass amount of food challenges were always sort of interesting, but the ones that used to really get me were the hot food challenges. Those weren't mass food challenges just massive amount of Scovilles.

I couldn't believe the way his face would turn a sort of pasty green. I think the worst was the Four Horseman Burger that had ghost chili on it.

I used to watch it to pick up the names of places that would be good to eat when we traveled since we always drive. There was a BBQ joint in St. Louis ... Pappy's. OMG! The ribs! Wow! That place is well worth the time it took to find it and the trouble of showing up there early. If you're ever through St. Louis, I recommend it.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I had open heart surgery in October and I'm shocked we never shared a room

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I haven't seen the one with the Four Horsemen Burger. I can just imagine. I can barely handle sriracha. I don't know how he does it.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I've often wondered if any other countries have eating contests. I was thinking, maybe, the Australians simply because they're bonkers.

No, "Beerfest" doesn't count.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I watched that show a lot because I love to eat and I love to eat a lot. I understand some people would feel bad about eating so much when others are hungry, but....we have food. Do people that live in warm climates sit in a freezer for hours because they feel bad that they have sunshine and I am freezing??? Of course not.

I've often thought that some of the people who are eating fish eyes or bugs would much rather sit down to nice big steak dinner with potatoes and salad and bread. Maybe I am wrong.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I watch it, have no problem with it. These kind of shows may 'promote' bad eating habits but on the bright side they help smaller local eateries get more business. Plus it was fun seeing all the different foods from around the US.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I watch it, have no problem with it. These kind of shows may 'promote' bad eating habits but on the bright side they help smaller local eateries get more business. Plus it was fun seeing all the different foods from around the US.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Never heard of it but people behaving in oddball ways seems to sell. It's almost sadistic - how people like to hurt themselves and watch others doing harm to themselves.

Other than the morbid fascination piece, American eating habits (on average) are horrendous. For every ounce of soda in that can there is a tsp of sugar (think of 44 oz fountain Pepsi). For a Mt. Dew and a few others add some sugar to that. We mindlessly ingest massive amounts of fats, simple sugars, preservatives (some outlawed in other Countries), and god knows what else to satisfy an addictive craving (taste/quick fix), not thinking of how it effects our vital organs, or the brain and behavior. Human nature I suppose but it is perplexing how we work against our own well being.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I don't have an issue with what other people eat. It's the amount of what they eat that stuns me.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

Love the show!

new topics

top topics

join