It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you don't believe all the bible, why believe any of it?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

randyvs
reply to post by GetHyped

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-Stephen F Roberts

So if I only believe in one God, I can still be an atheist?

And just because you were right to dismiss all the other
possibles, doesn't mean you just keep on going.

edit on Ram32514v30201400000046 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Says you, a Westener raised in a culturally Christian society. If this were in India you would be singing the virtues of Shiva et al.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

So you are claiming there are no Christians in India ?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

the2ofusr1
reply to post by SpaceGoatFarts

Just a guess on my part but I am assuming you are referring to the Roman Catholic Church which I am not a member of or adhere to many of their doctrinal statements ....peace

Of course you are not. I bet you consider them heretic too (fundies are usually holier-than-thou). It's so convenient to simply ignore the largest and most ancient Christian Church around and simply claim "welp, I don't believe the same, sorry".

If the thread is about the Christian Bible, you have to accept we can discuss the catholic position about it too.

And this position is that protestant fundies invented biblical literalism and it's why Christian in the US are so allergic to science and critical thinking, while here you can be both a christian and a nuclear physicist.

edit on 25-3-2014 by SpaceGoatFarts because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

So you are saying there are no protestant Physicist living in the USA ?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Says you, a Westener raised in a culturally Christian society. If this were in India you would be singing the virtues of Shiva et al.

What if we were all born in Indiia?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

the2ofusr1

So you are saying there are no protestant Physicist living in the USA ?

I say they have to go through some serious delusion and cognitive dissonance to both believe what they have learned through science and through a literal reading of genesis postulating the earth is 6000 years old.

You do realize no Christian outside the US believe that nonsense, right?

Protestant fundamentalists are among the most deluded people I have ever seen in my life. Also they can be seriously hateful.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

randyvs

What if we were all born in Indiia?

Western culture directly descends from India through the early Indo-european societies.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

the2ofusr1
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Because I don't find them in the Christian bible ...simple ....peace the thread is about the Christian Bible .

unless, of course, it can be proven that the bible plagiarized the accounts of pagan gods.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

So according to you its possible for someone with cognitive dissonance to get a PHD in Physics .It would explain some of the confusion withing the Catholic Church . If you can I would like for you to show me where in the Bible says the earth is 6000 years old seeing I don't believe that to be the case .....peace

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

You might want to start a thread on that . I am sure you will get some replies ....peace

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

the2ofusr1

You might want to start a thread on that . I am sure you will get some replies ....peace

Why should I? This is a perfectly good place to discuss plagiarism in the bible. Anyone have anything to say about plagiarism and how it might breed inconsistency in the final edition, forcing adherents to cherry pick its contents?
edit on 25-3-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   

the2ofusr1

So according to you its possible for someone with cognitive dissonance to get a PHD in Physics .It would explain some of the confusion withing the Catholic Church . If you can I would like for you to show me where in the Bible says the earth is 6000 years old seeing I don't believe that to be the case .....peace

It's a theory put forward by American biblical literalists using the genealogical tree described in genesis.

It's certainly not mentioned per se in the Bible and shows how biblical literalism is totally empty of any critical thinking among its proponents.

The whole premise of biblical literalism is based on a single assumption that can't be proved: That the Bible is the infallible word of God.

Since this assumptions can't be proven the only sane and critical approach toward the Bible is that literal interpretation is simply one possibility among many and must never be favored over others.

edit: as to why literalism favors delusion:

A delusion is a belief held with strong conviction despite superior evidence to the contrary.

Biblical literalism states that the Bible is the ultimate source of proof, so in case there is a divergence between observation and the Bible, the data must be studied again to make them fit with the information in the Bible.

That thought process is delusion, plain and simply.

edit on 25-3-2014 by SpaceGoatFarts because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Krazysh0t

tsingtao

Krazysh0t

tsingtao

AfterInfinity
reply to post by deadlyhope

It is believed the Bible is a book from god, not that each and every copy was hand-written in simple terms everyone can understand/no one could debate.

Because no god would ever resort to such infallible, practical, common-sense measures, right? Its ludicrous to think they might actually take steps to prevent a notoriously flawed society from misreading or misinterpreting something so sacred and important. Utterly laughable, right?

aren't we human? lol!

let's put it this way, the bible is filled with fallible, impracticable, nonsensical societies.
heck, look around you! people want to blame God?

bible has been consistent for a couple 1000 yrs. science hasn't, has it?

The whole POINT of science is for it not to be consistent. Why would you point that out as a falling of science when that is what it is designed to do? That's like saying that the Sears Tower in Chicago fails as a building because it is too tall.

You think it is a GOOD thing that the bible has been consistent for a few millenniums? A book written by men whose claims cannot be authenticated since they've been lost too time is supposed to be more credible then science because over the years the message has remained the same? That's absurd. But if we are going by length of time a concept is unchanged as the most credible, I guess that means that the Hindu religion is the most correct, it is after all the oldest and has remained largely unchanged for a lot longer than the bible.

sure, your science changes all the time.

My science? So what science rules your life? Gravity affects you differently or something?

i don't care about hindu. i am a christian.
i don't care about atheists.

That's fine, I don't care about Christianity. That still doesn't change my point. That the bible has no way to be authenticated so it is a poor source of information. Also if you are citing that the bible is true because of its unchanging nature for so long, then I just gave you an example of a religion whose books are FAR older and just as unchanged as your precious bible. I used YOUR logic to show the error in your thinking, and you dismiss it off hand because you can't be bothered to care about that particular religion. So answer me this, WHAT (in your opinion) makes the bible a good source of information?

believe what you want. or don't.

i believe in science, too. DUH!

First you label it MY science earlier in this very post then you follow up saying that you also believe in science, followed by some condescending retort like I should have known all along or something. So which is it? Is it my science or is it universal?

the only absurd thing is science claiming to be THE truth.

Show we were science claims to be THE truth. Everything I've read says that science is used to predict future events based on past experimentation. It uses probability and statistical analysis to do so. I haven't read anywhere that science claims to be the truth. Perhaps you are mixing the term "facts" with the word "truth". Science certainly uses facts (and evidence) to prove its positions, something the bible never gets around to doing.
edit on 25-3-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

well, isn't your science dogma?
hell, the way you science guys talk, the bible is fake and you guys hold the ultimate truths.
in my eyes ya haven't done crap.

still hunger and suffering in the world, income inequality, wars, hatred, etc.

where is your science to fix all that?

pretty cool, eh?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Well like you say it is a theory and only one of many ....I don't take the whole bible literal because it uses many forms of literature .Actually a study into the many forms is quite enlightening ....peace

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

tsingtao
still hunger and suffering in the world, income inequality, wars, hatred, etc.

Reminds me of stories from the Bible.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Well then have at it . Like I said you may get some replies and I may read them ....peace

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

the2ofusr1

I don't take the whole bible literal because it uses many forms of literature .Actually a study into the many forms is quite enlightening ....peace

Then you and I are in the same boat, and we must disagree with OP's position that the Bible can only be read literally.

This is for those Christians who don't believe in the literal truth of creation and the bible.

And since the Bible can also be interpreted metaphorically, we have to admit that it's a poor source of information to explain the laws of Nature. On the other hand, I consider the Bible to be a very good text when it comes to learn about how to be a human and how to heal your soul.

But let's not make the Bible what it's not supposed to be: something to be read literally, even regarding the creation account.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

There are some things stated in the creation account and there are lots of details that do not appear there .I don't think it was meant to be a scientific journal but there have been some scientific discoveries influenced by some of the writings .One story is of a Naval officer that seen in the text that there were rivers on the bottom of the oceans and he set out to find them and did I guess ....peace

ETA Because the bible uses metaphor and other constructs it might be wise to study it carefully because it sometimes uses literal form ..
edit on 25-3-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Those parts about how to be human...care to provide an example?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

Those parts about how to be human...care to provide an example?
+

Morals, ethics, virtues, etc...

Never said you find these only the Bible though. Also don't get me started on the OT which is not only a spiritual text but also a legal #fest for the priest caste to organize the Jewish society, even though it also contains philosophical and spiritual gems..

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join