It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you don't believe all the bible, why believe any of it?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

It seems to me that this is a rule which some atheists have invented for debating purposes.

Not all are atheist, some pretend to be.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

ArtemisE
reply to post by ketsuko

Ever consider maybe it's the scripture who contradicts.

Your not supposed to judge people but it also has many judgmental tenants

No, ours is not to judge who is fit to go to Heaven or to Hell. We don't even know that for ourselves. Only God knows that and only He is fit to judge that.

It is perfectly acceptable for us to judge actions. We have to in order for us to be able to discern what is right and what is wrong for ourselves, and sometimes that means we have to judge those actions when others do them. As a parent, part of my job is to guide my child onto the path of good behavior. He doesn't just organically grow into it, and if I don't make that effort, the rest of society will be miserable around him. In order to do that, I have to make judgments.

You make judgments all the time.

What you are not to do is judge in order to condemn.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by Skyfloating

It depends on which theories you are talking about. Remember, it's still the theory of gravity because when it comes to how gravity behaves in terms of deep space and as one of the four forces, there is still a lot about gravity that isn't fully understood. However, everyone knows and can test over and over how gravity behaves on earth. In those terms, gravity is imminently predictable and closer to fact than theory.
Please, please, please...acquaint yourself with the definition of 'Scientific Theory'!!!

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I did. It's not a law because there are still things about gravity that we are still updating as we understand more about it. We understand most of it, but not all of it.

A theory must include statements that have observational consequences. A good theory, like Newton’s theory of gravity, has unity, which means it consists of a limited number of problem-solving strategies that can be applied to a wide range of scientific circumstances. Another feature of a good theory is that it formed from a number of hypotheses that can be tested independently.

A scientific theory is not the end result of the scientific method; theories can be proven or rejected, just like hypotheses. Theories can be improved or modified as more information is gathered so that the accuracy of the prediction becomes greater over time.

Theories are foundations for furthering scientific knowledge and for putting the information gathered to practical use. Scientists use theories to develop inventions or find a cure for a disease.

A few theories do become laws, but theories and laws have separate and distinct roles in the scientific method. A theory is an explanation of an observed phenomenon, while a law is a description of an observed phenomenon.

I bolded where we're at with gravity. I don't expect it to ever be disproved, but we are updating our understanding of it with quantum mechanics. Newton's and Einstein's understanding of gravity don't quite explain how gravity works with quantum mechanics.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Stormdancer777
reply to post by DISRAELI

Not all are atheist, some pretend to be.

I'm not quite sure where you're coming from, here.
You think they are agnostics pretending to be atheists?
Or what?

Anyhow, I won't insist on the word. I was referring to ATS critics of Christianity, or at least some of them.

edit on 22-3-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

the2ofusr1
reply to post by ArtemisE

My best answer to you would be that unlike atheist some Christians don't claim to know it all or think that they can.It's something we study to try and understand better .....peace

Shots fired! Shots fired!

But in all seriousness, let's not make this a competition or a fight.
edit on 22-3-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

It's still not a theory because we don't know every little piece of it. In fact we don't know every little piece of anything. So in your definition there would be no law. You seem to have cherry picked the definition you posted.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

ketsuko

Well, there's your problem.

The Bible is the inspired word of God meaning He inspired the men who wrote it.

inspire - to affect, guide, or arouse by divine influence

It could only be literal if God, Himself, wrote it. Since it's pretty evident He didn't, it's not.

Now, let's examine science. Science isn't any better at getting to the truth, either. Sure, science is good at telling us how the world around us works, but if you want to know why things work the way they do ... the truth about it. All science can do is offer up conjecture and theory. In truth, it's not so different from religion in that respect.

In the end, it all comes back to faith.

I kind like how science have come closer to describe how god use spiritual energy to guide people to use intention->manifestation to do things on the level they are able to. Quantum entanglement shows that any point in at least 3D is connected to all else if there is a consciousness using an intention->manifestation tool (for instance Reiki). Telepathy and third eye communication is harder since you have the ego projection distortion happening where the sender->receiver are not the same and therefor the metadata becomes badly translated if you are not able to get a high level synchronicity.

In the end science will prove god but they will prove the exact thing not a thing that is ambiguous like in the bible.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

ArtemisE
reply to post by ketsuko

It's still not a theory because we don't know every little piece of it. In fact we don't know every little piece of anything. So in your definition there would be no law. You seem to have cherry picked the definition you posted.

I'm using one from a science site. It is a theory because it is largely known and largely understood, enough that we can repeatedly test it over and over predictably in many circumstance, but as our understanding has increased, we have had to update our understanding of gravity. So, we add to the theory.

And it is a theory. Maybe you meant that it's not a law.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleByLittle

In my mind, science explains the mechanics, the nuts and bolts of the universe. It can't explain the whys and that's what religion is for.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

jazz10
I do believe the bible.
However, I also believe that the Bible is part of one. As is other religious scriptures.

Divided in language, location and text to preserve truth.

. Funny how you speak in fractal meaning with your words and most will not even see what you did.

Namaste (on all levels of the meaning)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ArtemisE

If you don't believe in all of the news, why watch it?

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by LittleByLittle

In my mind, science explains the mechanics, the nuts and bolts of the universe. It can't explain the whys and that's what religion is for.

It can if it seeks knowledge without preconceived notions of what it will find. Science is on the same journey as every religion. Some religion just stagnated. But then so did science in a way when it boxed itself in with spiritual blindness and refusal to really test what it going on with an open mind.
edit on 22-3-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

We don't understand the fundamental basics of anything. We have no idea what's inside quarks or the various other partials. A theory ,as the definition you posted said. Is a collection of facts that lead to a definite conclusion. Not something we know 50% about. A theory is way better then an educated guess. They call that a hypothesis. If something makes it to the point of being a scientific theory like evolution or gravity it's as close to fact as anything else we know.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Just warning shots is all . OP asked for a reply , any reply ....:>)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Now, let's examine science. Science isn't any better at getting to the truth, either. Sure, science is good at telling us how the world around us works, but if you want to know why things work the way they do ... the truth about it.

Because there has to be a human motivation behind the mechanics of the universe? That's asinine. The "Prime Mover", as some around here call it - a.k.a. the first cause - is as likely to be human in nature as the universe itself is. Which is to say, not at all.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

the2ofusr1
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Just warning shots is all . OP asked for a reply , any reply ....:>)

No need to draw a gun in the first place, so to speak.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The bible is a bundle of books dating back in time from before the development of books as tool for information being passed on.

With this in mind, I'm sure that even in the most unbelievable stories, and texts, an event or unexplained situation occurred, one worthy of passing down through time and generations. Basically I believe there happened an event or unexplained situation, what people couldn't imagine to be possible in their intelligence, and awareness of the day.
The birth of ancient wonders, and events that got to be the source of most ancient scriptures around today. Without the means to understand, and explain what happened, ancient information got passed on as wonders or divine, God's creations even.
Throughout time facts, and events became larger and exaggerated again and again...

In my opinion there is nothing wrong about the believe of biblical events to be true, but one must consider the imagination, and intervention of the human mind, responsible for the fictional, unexplained and metaphorical changes, that corrupted the original sources from ancient times.

What really rocks my boat, is that science is finally capable of explaining events, and gaps in human history, it also taught us about actual events taking place.
The number of scientific discoveries about the Earth's geology, the genetic advanced technology, and many other separate subjects, that seem to be compatible with other areas of science, are slowly showing us a bigger, and more detailed image of human evolution. Basically science is coming together, and are on a common direction or path intertwining it all together.

The above results are already creating explanations for previous ancient myth, stories and divine labeled events.
These events are actually events, and situations that happened long ago, which can perfectly be the original source of many of the ancient scriptures. The only issue is that our history isn't as simple as described in the bible, but the stories of genesis actually have been taking place, all be it over a longer time frame, and more complex developments in time.

I see both science and religious teachings coming together, becoming a more unified and better explanation of history with every new discovery being made.

Scientists should open there minds for possibilities, which aren't proven facts, and religious people should take of their narrow minded mental blockades, that they are told, and learned within their communities.

There can be a future where believes and facts can coexist, without conflict. We only need to accept other ideals and believes, and stay open for new information that will be found, and explain more and more, as we live as a species of man, instead of an individual race of human societies, separated only by mental boundaries, because our flesh, and our genetics show us that we are all one race, one species, and all human beings that are more similar to all other people on the globe, then any other species found on Earth.

I'm sorry if this all comes as a shock, or even get the ignorance treatment. That will only show you, that you are not perfect, and you are the only one to make a difference in your own lives and way of thinking.

I ca only say, grow up, stop behaving like ignorant children and let go of everything that is negative towards any other man or woman.

PS

Some people are just arrogant dicks, and manipulative basterds. Live with it, and try to be a better person for yourself, your children and the world.

Peace !

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Cause and effects . Some of science have a hard time to agree about the effects they see and attribute them to different causes .I guess that is why most have the theory of in their analysis . According to the big bang or what ever .

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

ArtemisE
Logically how can any truth be found when no one even agrees on the fundamentals?

Truth of those writings are Not meant to be found IN the words themselves per se as you would read a normal book. The bible is written in code as it says line upon line precept upon precept. If you study old Hebrew writings many of these were written in code - you had to have The Key to decipher the correct meaning of the text. Those who don't have the key will regard the stories as mere poetry or parables.

Who has the key? The Holy Spirit has the key and it's His/her/it's job to give that key to you as you study the Bible but only by the formula " study fasting and prayer". The Bible says the Holy Spirit will lead you into all truth so that everything that is hidden will be uncovered.

This to answer your question is why not everyone agrees - If there is only one Holy Spirit leading into truth, the truth should be the same for everyone. Yet not all actually follow the instructions ! The instruction manual (The Bible) is filled with things you have to not only believe but DO. Most major religions pick and choose what they want to believe for their comfort zone and thus miss the mark on the truth of the hidden texts they struggle to understand. This ia a fault of man seeking to manipulate god/his fellow man or both.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join