It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you don't believe all the bible, why believe any of it?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ReturnofTheSonOfNothing

You will clearly believe as you do . . . evidently regardless.

Whereas, the Exodus HAS had a lot of confirming archeological evidence on both sides of the Red Sea.

Nope. Won't offer a link.

After 60+ years of study, I've found the OT an incredibly reliable text in a list of ways.

I realize that blind bias against it will rarely to never admit such facts, however.

I find your . . . post . . . exceedingly unattractive to reply further to.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Wow! this could be a major breakthrough, archeological evidence of Exodus!?!?
I'd like to see your evidence, no links necessary, just point me in the right direction.
I will suggest debugging your theories before you post them, and remember, allegations, circumstantial or not, is not evidence.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

BO XIAN

You will clearly believe as you do . . . evidently regardless.

Whereas, the Exodus HAS had a lot of confirming archeological evidence on both sides of the Red Sea.

Nope. Won't offer a link.

Wow, how convenient. All this evidence exists, yet you refuse to provide it. That is just internet speak for, "I'm making this up and trying to artificially boost my credibility by forcing the person I'm talking to to look up the information while hoping they won't do it and just take my word that the evidence exists."

After 60+ years of study, I've found the OT an incredibly reliable text in a list of ways.

I realize that blind bias against it will rarely to never admit such facts, however.

I find your . . . post . . . exceedingly unattractive to reply further to.

I find blind obedience and reverence for the bible creates confirmation bias and close mindedness. I guess we are similar in that regard.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

I believe the evidence about chariot wheels from that era of Egypt being found on both sides of the Red Sea.

I think there was some other evidence from investigations on both sides of the Red Sea at the most probable location.

Also, the family that did secretive research on the most probable Mt Sinai in Saudia Arabia came back with very convincing video and evidence.

Anti-supernaturalists and anti-God types will never be convinced as long as they are in this life . . . I actually think that if Archangel Michael came down and demonstrated vivid miracles in their laps, they'd still argue with him.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

BO XIAN
...if Archangel Michael came down and demonstrated vivid miracles in their laps, they'd still argue with him.

I recall that George Michael was doing 'vivid miracles' in his own lap.

He got arrested.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Probably should have been more specific. I was referring to the '40 years wandering the desert' bit with regards to Exodus.

For which we are expected to believe that 2 million jews spent 40 years making an 11 day trip, and yet left no archaeological evidence of any kind.

The Israel government even sponsored a team of pro-religious archeologists to go out into the Sinai desert and dig up some evidence for it. They found zip. Nada.

Just think about that for a second. 2 million people, camping, living, dying, eating, drinking, defecating, making art, pottery, clothing etc for 40 years and yet they left no trace.

I can't find the story on those archaeologists right now - I'll see if I can bring it up later. However, a quick look at the Christian Apologetics Ministry's website reveals even they will freely admit to there being absolutely no evidence for this event. See Why isn't there any record of millions of Jews wandering in the desert?. These guys are on your side, they already freely drink the bible cool-aid, yet they too say there is no evidence.

edit on RAmerica/Chicago31000000Mon, 31 Mar 2014 17:23:01 -05003-0500fCDT05 by ReturnofTheSonOfNothing because: fixed html tag

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ArtemisE

To an atheist it looks like cherry picking what people wish were true. While ignoring the things you don't agree with.

The Bible is a book written by men. In that regard it is like any other book. The notion that it is perfect or nothing should be discounted came from somewhere else.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
For someone who has taken the time to read the Bible which most never do, its unknown author's tell a story simply about a group of people given 10 commandments by the being they are forced to worship. The Being then forces them to take land lived in by other people and in order to do so break most of the commandments he originally demanded they live by.

But, but, but - this planet runs on intelligent design and some being has orchestrated how life on earth is to function and that being is so utterly brilliant they leave me speechless and in awe.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

I recall that George Michael was doing 'vivid miracles' in his own lap.

He got arrested.

Bite your tongue. Like I said earlier in your thread, you just like to insult people from a position of arrogance.

And like you love to remind me, that was sorely off topic. What are you doing here?

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

LOL... you talking about charlatan Ron Wyatt's claims that are as old as the hills and have been debunked by an array of sites including Christians? Both Egypt and Saudi Arabia have very active archaeological studies and Egypt regularly has materials sent out for analysis all over the world, and yet there is no evidence of chariot wheels..None.

There have been many tens of thousands of dollars invested in WAR. To date, none of those who invested this money has seen a shred of scientific evidence substantiating Ron Wyatt's claims. Where is the report from the blood sample analysis of what Ron claims is the blood of Jesus Christ? Where is the Ark of the Covenant? Which museum is housing the ancient chariot wheels he claimed to have been from the Red Sea Crossing? There is no evidence because the video is a fraud.

LINK

Even if some chariot wheels were found, how would that provide evidence in support of the Biblical Exodus?

It's funny how frauds can be exposed and have no effect on people’s willingness to believe...disturbing.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Anything that fits into man-made agenda is the stuff coming from man. Parts where Jesus says to love one another, or turn your cheek, tell me how that can fit into a greedy man's agenda? (If followed truly from the completely selfess standpoint Jesus mentioned it)
edit on 3/31/14 by honested3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by honested3

They are indeed good motto's to abide by. However, why do you need to look to Jesus for them - the concepts of altruism, love thy neighbour and of tolerance are innate to human social tribal groups and thus predate Jesus by eons.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

intrptr
Bite your tongue. Like I said earlier in your thread, you just like to insult people from a position of arrogance.

And like you love to remind me, that was sorely off topic. What are you doing here?

Did I miss the moderator tag under your name?

I have been participating in this thread and others in the forum from the outset. If you have an issue hit the report button.

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

ReturnofTheSonOfNothing
They are indeed good motto's to abide by. However, why do you need to look to Jesus for them - the concepts of altruism, love thy neighbour and of tolerance are innate to human social tribal groups and thus predate Jesus by eons.

Agreed, this is not something you need to learn from a book, any book. Kindness towards one's fellow man should be universal and not teachings dispensed by a priestly hierarchy, a la the Church.

edit on 31-3-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

If you have an issue hit the report button.

Any more sex offenses and I will. Fair enough?

(bookmarked)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   

AugustusMasonicus

ReturnofTheSonOfNothing

Agreed, this is not something you need to learn from a book, any book. Kindness towards one's fellow man should be universal and not teachings dispensed by a priestly hierarchy, a la the Church.

Edit: the response below was sparked by your post but is in no way directed to you. Just a general opinion

While I agree that morals and ethics should be universal, they are in no way innate and thus should be part of a cultural education, and it just happens that for centuries religious texts were providing that cultural education (local creation myth, epic tale of the origin of said cultural group, unwritten social rules and even sometimes an actual legislation).

It's funny that for some people the world "religion" is no negatively connoted that whole books get dismissed as "irrelevant" simply because they treat about laws or myths.

That's really a reductive view. If you forget that these texts are used by religions today, they are still perfectly valid for what they are supposed to teach:
- Myths
- Epic tale of a culture
- Morals
- Laws

And saying other texts do the same doesn't make the Bible or the Coran or the Gita "irrelevant". They were written in a specific time and context for a specific purpose. It's only the literal interpretation of these texts that is stupid and a modern American invention. To believe that all myths are read literally by all cultures is frankly naive.

I understand that Christian fundies pushing their religion ans saying the Bible is literal are annoying. But they are a minority and in no way it makes the Bible a less valid source of information about the Jewish culture, the early Christian culture, the early Jewish laws and various moral teachings.

I don't think anyone ever said the Bible is the only book you should follow ever. They simply say this book resonates with them and that they follow its teachings.

Saying religions have an agenda and that religious texts are fabricated to profit to an elite caste or something is borderline paranoia. And it only shows these people haven't really read these texts in an unbiased way. They were already anti-religious in the first place.

If you are truly critical you have to acknowledge that only certain interpretations of these texts are manipulative, and that these interpretations are not a correct representation of religions as a whole, but only of certain currents within them.

Saying the Bible is forged and manipulative is no different than saying all Muslims are terrorists. Gross generalizations.
edit on 1-4-2014 by SpaceGoatFarts because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Kargun

"Mao Ze-Dong (China, 1958-61 and 1966-69, Tibet 1949-50) 49-78,000,00 people murdered
Jozef Stalin (USSR 1932-39 only) 15,000,000 people murdered
Pol Pot (Cambodia, 1975-79) 1,700,000 people murdered
Kim II Sung (North Korea 1948-94) 1.6 million people murdered
Tito (Yugoslavia 1945-1987) 570,000 people murdered
Suharto (Communists 1967-66) 500,000 people murdered
Ante Pavelic (Croatia 1941-45) 359,000 people murdered
Ho Chi Min (Vietnam 1953-56) 200,000 people murdered
Vladimir Ilich Lenin (USSR, 1917-20) 30,000 people murdered
Adolf Hitler (Germany 1939-1945) 12,000,000 people murdered

Any Christians up on that list? "

Yes. Hitler. And why are these same old tired arguments always pulled out against athiests? These people were psychopaths, it doesn't matter what religion or belief system they ascribe to, it would always have been used to justify their actions.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by stooge247

Also, Ante Pavelic was a Roman Catholic who founded the Croatian Orthodox Church...
edit on RAmerica/Chicago30000000Tue, 01 Apr 2014 10:11:57 -05004-0500fCDT10 by ReturnofTheSonOfNothing because: Statistically improbable edit..

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceGoatFarts

Some food for thought -

Stanford Encyclopaedia of Biology: Biological Altruism
Nature: Altruism can be explained by natural selection
Wikipaedia: Kin Selection
Kindness In A Cruel World: The Evolution Of Altruism, by Nigel Barber

Science Magazine: Axlerod/Hamilton - The Evolution of Co-Operation (note that this link is to a pdf)
edit on RAmerica/Chicago30uWed, 02 Apr 2014 00:24:21 -05004-0500fCDT12 by ReturnofTheSonOfNothing because: I just like to see the edit message at the end of every post

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

It's only a predisposition that must be developed more. Like language. We are genetically predisposed to talk but if you never learn a language good luck.
If you seriously believe everybody is innately altruist at birth, I invite you to look at the world around you because true altruism is much more than a predisposition, it's something that must be cultivated and encouraged.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join