It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under Sink RO Water Filtration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Hello all! Been awhile since I've posted or been on ATS..

I'm a home inspector. I primarily do inspections for people purchasing a home as part of their due diligence, but occasionally do a job for real estate companies, insurance companies, etc.

I was doing an inspection in Grantsville, UT about a month ago. This was a newly built home and the scope of the inspection was to make sure that everything was up to code and properly built. The new owner was already moving his stuff into their unfinished basement when I arrived for the inspection.

We started talking about regular life and this guy mentioned that he installed Reverse Osmosis water systems in large facilities like military ships, industrial buildings, government compounds, etc. I mentioned that I had been looking at under-the-sink RO systems for my kitchen. The water in the Tooele and Grantsville area is pretty hard which is typical when you live in the desert. He said that his company bought exactly these types of systems to give to their clients to try out in their homes and that he would give me one if I wanted it.. Being the person I am, I declined, but he eventually insisted and I ended up taking it home.

I got it all installed within a week. This is a four-stage RO filter from WaterGroup. It came with 90% of the hardware needed, but I had to tap in to the product delivery line to feed my refrigerator. I spent about $10 on a couple of fittings.

My TDS (total dissolved solids) readings are about 220 from me regular tap water, and read below 5 with the RO system. This type of system removes lead, cadmium, bacteria, fluoride, iron, copper, etc. Everything.

This type of system can be purchased for under $200 on Amazon, or direct from the manufacturer.

The ice in my refrigerator is crystal clear now. My water tastes fantastic. This particular system is 30 GPD which is more than enough for drinking, cooking, and making coffee. Coffee tastes so much better using distilled or RO water. =]

My experience with this has been very good. Installation was easy if you can figure out how to build a lego X-Wing - but some people might need help.

I just wanted to share my experience and give my opinion about the difference in water quality. If you want better than bottled water quality at home this is the way to go!

Sorry for the disorganized and rambling post - it's 7 am and I just woke up.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Way to go mate

he installed Reverse Osmosis water systems in large facilities like military ships, industrial buildings, government compounds, etc.

And doesn't that speak volumes!!!

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Iv been thinking of getting one for my kitchen, i live in england and the water is not much better here. My kettle gets that scale build up, thats going in your body. Not good.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Lompyt

I'd absolutely bite the bullet and do it. I drink a lot of tea too, and have the same problem with my stainless steel kettle. Every couple of days I'm scrubbing the deposits from the inside.

It's relatively inexpensive and easy to install. It's also fantastic if you keep an aquarium or have houseplants because the double carbon filtration removes chlorine as well.

I say do it and never look back. =]

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I've had mine for 3 years now. In addition to having it dispense water at the sink, I had it connected to my refrigerator's water and ice dispenser. Love the taste of the water and it saved me a lot instead of buying bottled water. I would highly recommend it to anyone who want's great tasting and clean filtered water.
edit on 22-3-2014 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Did you waste your money if you wanted this to remove Fluoride?

I ask because I have read (don't know the facts) that only a 5 stage RO system can remove Fluoride. I have seen these 5 stage systems for sale for around 400 dollars US.
edit on 22-3-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

It certainly removes fluoride from water. In fact it will remove any and every type of TDS (total dissolved solid)

The major difference between 4 and 5 stages is an additional carbon filter, I believe. The actual TFC membrane is what removes things from the water. It does this by allowing only things up to a few microns to pass through. Because fluoride and other dissolved solids are larger than a few microns, they simply don't get through.

Even a three stage RO system would remove fluoride. Not sure what you read, but it was incorrect. And how could I waste money on something that was given to me for being awesome?

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Thanks for the info.. Somehow I missed the part where it was given to you.. Congrats !

join