It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The psychology of conspiracy theorists

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Thanks

I really do agree with a lot of what your saying. You do have a lot of good points I just thought that you were overlooking some stuff.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I think there are obviously extremes and some people go too far and say and believe things which go into pure fantasy. There are some real conspiracies out there but some of what I see on ATS I think is ignorant uninformed paranoid ramblings from people who could read a non fiction book once in a while. And I question if they finished high school or have ever seen a real science book.
Since looking at this site I've never seen so many references to CIA NSA FEMA illuminati freemasons secret government UN world bank TPTB (one of my favorites which means?) big oil lizard men greys IMF and it goes on and on basically any organisation is part of the global conspiracy to keep the people in check and guard the secret tech or whatever. No evidence required because it's all a big cover up. Then there are the strange free energy perpetual motion over unity people who think it's some kind of religion and is exempt from reality.
Sometimes you will read something insightful and then at the end they will say and the lizard men know this and you just start laughing.
My all time favorite conspiracy is probably the super Nazis which can do anything and have a base at the centre of the Earth.
I think some kind of understanding of basic history and science helps people have some kind of basis for reality to judge what is possible and plausible in the real world. Without a decent level of basic education a whole range of incredible fantastic conspiracy theories are able to spring to life.
edit on 3-5-2014 by JimTSpock because: typo

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: JimTSpock

Yes there are extremists on both side of the equation but some of them are are incredibly intelligent and well educated. As someone who dropped out if high school I was offended by parts of what you said. Those people that make reference to secret societies and government organisations have researched and made links and while the more fanatical reject or ignore evidence that doesn't support their pet theories, there are those who who do examine new evidence and change or discard their theories due to it.

If you actual read the hollow earth theory you would see that they aren't super Nazis, they were a technologically advanced culture and that while the Nazis did attempt to find Hollow Earth there was no conclusive evidence and aa lot of people simply find it an interesting theory of which there is some supporting evidence.

TPTB means the powers that be (I wasn't sure if this was sarcasm of not)

Please try to be more sensitive of the feelings of others in future.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join