It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow - people living over 100 has increased by 73% in just ONE DECADE!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I was having a conversation about this the other day with a friend, that you regularly see people living healthy and happily into their 90s and 100s, and how somebody even in their mid 80s does not seem that old anymore.

Anyway www.bbc.co.uk...

The number of people living in the UK aged 100 increased by 73% in the decade to 2012, said the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

In 2012 there were 13,350 centenarians living in Britain, from 7,740 in 2002.

Now that is in just a decade alone, imagine how it will be in 20/ 30 years time (providing we dont blow the planet up)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
That's because "the man" is trying to kill us all for population control!

or wait...that doesn't make sense.

Modern medicine. Now, its fantastic that we are experiencing dramatic increases in longevity. I just hope that we are also improving quality of life at the same or faster rate. it is improving, but a hundred year old person still is generally speaking a bag of dust and bones that can barely move or think straight.

Its in everyones interest to get people as healthy as possible for as long as possible to keep them working. benefits everyone if a 100 year old is as active and mentally fit as a 30 year old.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

That's incredible! I had no idea there were that many. It gives me a little hope since I am 55 now and I have a lot more things I want to do in life. I just hope I have the right genes for it...

I work out and run every day to try to keep in the best shape I can and also I continually am learning new things. The only strike I have against me is my love of beer
edit on 3/21/2014 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Because more people are born then more people will live to 100. Genetics are the same. Modern life will kill you quicker in the future than in the past.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I actually read somewhere a couple of years back, it wasnt on a forum it was somewhere official, that at some point, the royal family may stop writing out letters to people who reach 100.

If you arent familiar with it, there is a British tradition where you get an automatic letter in the mail when you reach 100, congragulating you with the queen`s signature, however, now it is so common that if it reaches the part where it is no big deal anymore, they will stop sending out the letters

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

eliuk
I actually read somewhere a couple of years back, it wasnt on a forum it was somewhere official, that at some point, the royal family may stop writing out letters to people who reach 100.

If you arent familiar with it, there is a British tradition where you get an automatic letter in the mail when you reach 100, congragulating you with the queen`s signature, however, now it is so common that if it reaches the part where it is no big deal anymore, they will stop sending out the letters

Makes sense. Imagine if it was a few hundred years ago. "Congratulations, you have reached 30 years of age!".

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
Because more people are born then more people will live to 100. Genetics are the same. Modern life will kill you quicker in the future than in the past.

More old people aren't being born though.
The people 100 years old now were born early last century. modern medicine can most certainly be attributed to that.

Mom should have died when she was in her 50s if not for our medicine. she is 66 now and still going. actually, she has tons of issues, and again, without our cutting edge services, she would have been gone several times already...but now she has hope to potentially see 80 with a bit of luck.

now, if by modern living, you mean sitting on a couch all day and night while eating bags of chips and no greens, then sure...but that's not really modern life, that's suicide life. Modern society teaches us how to act and eat. its up to us to follow that, or not.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

SaturnFX

symptomoftheuniverse

More old people aren't being born though.
The people 100 years old now were born early last century. modern medicine can most certainly be attributed to that.

Mom should have died when she was in her 50s if not for our medicine. she is 66 now and still going. actually, she has tons of issues, and again, without our cutting edge services, she would have been gone several times already...but now she has hope to potentially see 80 with a bit of luck.

now, if by modern living, you mean sitting on a couch all day and night while eating bags of chips and no greens, then sure...but that's not really modern life, that's suicide life. Modern society teaches us how to act and eat. its up to us to follow that, or not.
are you saying there is no growth in population?
Modern medicine is might extend life a tad, but on the whole lets not kid ourselfs,most people on planet earth dont kive any longer indeed the contary.
edit on 21-3-2014 by symptomoftheuniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
are you saying there is no growth in population?

There is plenty of growth, but the growth since WW2 and the baby boom hasn't reached 100 yet. they are in their 60s-70s. the 100 year old boom in the last 10 years is pre-boom. not a significant enough number to equate to the rise in centurians

Now, in 25 or so years, that number may suddenly spike up to quadruple or more due to the boomers hitting the hundred mark. That may be normal..but if by then it is hitting the hundred thousand mark, that will be another testament to modern livings benefits outweighing the cost.
edit on 21-3-2014 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
It depends who's data you choose to believe. Data from insurance companies put the average life span at 71 years(uk).

I notice the op has a BBC link, well, anything coming from them should be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

By convincing everyone that we're all living into our 90's/100's they can use it as an excuse to tax more and cut benefits. Its all just another scam!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The growth in world population has been growing exponentially for thousands of years,appart from plague and war years.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

SaturnFX
Its in everyones interest to get people as healthy as possible for as long as possible to keep them working. benefits everyone if a 100 year old is as active and mentally fit as a 30 year old.

If I could be 100 and fit as a 30 year old that is an improvement to my current status! LOL

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

abeverage

SaturnFX

If I could be 100 and fit as a 30 year old that is an improvement to my current status! LOL

I like to remain an optimist overall in this area. I see dramatic improvements in our biotech industry in the near future. Everyday some new "miracle" treatment is being tested out. I am just hopeing that the focus is mostly on quality of life over extension. I mean, hopefully both, but yeah, healthy grown organs, skin replenishing, muscle enhancement, etc.
If I could live to 80 while feeling and looking young, it would be a fair tradeoff verses living to 100 as a raisin. Would keep me working and paying taxes right up until then also.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Given it a bit more thought and I still think this is all BS. Just take a look on any street on any day and you'll notice at least half the people on it are obese, and so much so that they'll be lucky if they make it to 50.

There are some old folk who've made it to the 80's and 90's and are being kept going via modern medicine, but they are the few that ate healthily, but most people, as we can see just by looking on the street, do NOT eat healthily.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
And they ALL ate a full English breakfast every morn! Fried eggs, bangers, bacon, broiled tomato or mushroom, toast slathered in butter & jam! (Beans?).

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

HUMBLEONE
And they ALL ate a full English breakfast every morn! Fried eggs, bangers, bacon, broiled tomato or mushroom, toast slathered in butter & jam! (Beans?).

LOL - Deadly but nice
Beans? Only if there's no tomato.

.....wanders of to the kitchen..

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

I remember when I was a kid in the 80's, anyone over 60 years old would look really old. 65 would be like 80 today.

Life expectancy and quality have changed a lot, I see people living well close to 80 these days, something that was really rare some decades ago.

Cheers,

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
This is probably a load of bollocks just so that they can raise the retirement age.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The problem with this is that they can keep people alive for a lot longer, but there is a question about quality of life. My step-mother's mother died aged 104 at the end of last year. She was bed bound, couldn't recognise any of her children and barely spoke for at least ten of those years. She was in state funded care, privately run as most of it is these days, so, as long as the cheques from the government kept coming to pay for her care, the nursing home had a vested interest in keeping her alive, even though, essentially, the lights were on but no one was home. I'm not sure that that is what I would call 'life'.

top topics

join