It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Informal poll: Do you use ATS dark or white backgrounds?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
*funBox puts his junior edition shades on*

easy

funBox

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Dark for me. I just don't like the light background.

It's not just because dark is easier on the eyes for me. The dark version just looks cool.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by tsingtao

when you are outside, i think the white might be better to reduce the impact of dimming in the sun. The idea behind ATS5/3 was to create a robust mobile web site that seamlessly transitioned from mobile to desktop for the end user. It has done that very, very well. I would surmise that the default settings for ATS would relate to this targeting of the mobile user.

RE: polls....i don't want to see that function. The negative far outweigh the positives for me.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I use the dark background simply because it's easier to read.
edit on 22-3-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I use the dark. I joined as a member after the new style was made, but I do remember the old green and black style. I liked the old style.
The white screen has type/font that is grey which makes it even more difficult to read with the brightness factor.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Being new and just learning my way around, I'm using with at the moment. I can see if my eyes were overly tired how a dark background would be better

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Using dark.
I did try the light background, when the beta of this version of the site came out, when it defaulted to light at first, and some people including me were having trouble even changing it to dark. Lots of people clamored for the dark as I recall, and now seeing this informal poll I can understand why as the dark seems to be more popular by far. The dark background makes it easier to read for me.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I use the black background, seems more top secret that way

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Dark the same color as my soul

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Went black...never went back.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I use the dark background as it is easier to read and it looks more better for a conspiracy site..

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

DLensman

Being new and just learning my way around, I'm using with at the moment. I can see if my eyes were overly tired how a dark background would be better

It's interesting that you as a Lensman would use white and not the darker shading. See E.E. Smith's fourth book in his Lensman series, "The Gray Lensman" en.wikipedia.org... ,for further details and compelling factoids regarding background colour.
edit on 23-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Results up to the moment:

78 dark
4 white (one of those, a new user, didn't know about the black option)
4 interchangeable (three use white mostly for phones, one for night reading on the computer screen)

Will update again if it gets to 100 answers, so it can be a standard percentage tally

edit on 23-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I used the dark background. It is softer on my eyes, I feel like I can see more clearly.

leolady

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The poll seems to be draining away, unless somebody else wants to get in on it. The results, posted above (and add LeoLady's dark choice) give an overwhelming preference to the dark/gray.

Maybe there will be a talk about changing the default color to dark gray now. Makes sense, non-member lurkers may like the site much more with the gray background. I didn't expect the results to be so lopsided.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Dark screen whether inside or outside. Easier to read.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Dark. The white makes me feel like I'm going to go into an epileptic seizure. I get dizzy and have to reach for something to hold on to until I can switch it back to black.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I use dark.....easier on eyes, looks cool and drains less of my battery on my kindle fire

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Boog911
I use dark.....easier on eyes, looks cool and drains less of my battery on my kindle fire

Interesting. Why would it drain less of your battery? I would have thought dark gray would take up more bandwidth, but my knowledge of coding and the inner-juggling of computers is about the same as my knowledge of differential calculus - I don't have any idea what those two words even mean.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Aleister
Interesting. Why would it drain less of your battery? I would have thought dark gray would take up more bandwidth, but my knowledge of coding and the inner-juggling of computers is about the same as my knowledge of differential calculus - I don't have any idea what those two words even mean.
I never measured battery life but I have felt the heat output of my monitor is greater with a bright screen than with a dark screen, which I guess kind of makes sense, since the bright screen lights up the room if it's otherwise dark, and the dark screen doesn't. So all this would add up to more battery life for the darker display that puts out less light and heat, though it depends on the monitor technology. The way CRTs are designed, I doubt the color of the screen makes much difference in power use, but in other technologies, it might and apparently does.

If you use a light background and if your display has a brightness setting, turning the brightness setting higher (for example to compete with other light sources) may also drain the battery faster, depending on the display technology. When I unplug my laptop from AC power the display automatically dims so as not to drain the battery as fast, but it's much harder to see in bright light.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join