It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNS Scam from India. Anyone else contacted?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I get these annoying calls frequently. With the latest one, when the fellow informed me that my computer had a virus, I said, Wow!! What a coincidence. This morning, I TOO discovered that my computer had a virus and I put it on antibiotics immediately!.
Dead silence on the other end followed by the sound of the dial tone...

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Get ready for them to start calling you for a while. I tried to report them through different agencies, but they still call sometimes. I notice that you have to offend them on a real deep cultural level for them to not call as infrequently (no need for slander). To get them to not call as often, try this (this seemed to work for me); tell them: "Are you parents proud of having a criminal for a son?" I suspect that Indians are very much about family honor, so this seems to offend them a lot. To be honest, it doesn't seem like there's much you can do until someone gets serious about catching them. I was flirting with writing Nightline or 20/20 to do an investigative news report.

edit on bFri, 21 Mar 2014 19:01:26 -0500pm79America/Chicago3pmFriday21America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

schuyler
Well,, I must lead a charmed life. I get almost daily calls about my LAST NOTICE about credit card services, but I've never got one of these calls before. And yes, I DID recognize it as a scam. I just never have been privileged with such a call before. Made me think I was listening to Raj on The Big Bang.

LOL We get those all the time around here too, even my Mom who has never owned a credit card.
I get calls with the India accent too but for different scams. There is one who constantly calls asking for a Dennis and no Dennis lives here!! I am so sick and tired of these damned calls that now I start swearing and yelling at them, which is so unlike me!! I sound like a wild cat unleashed. They are relentless!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I had this same call. I wish to God I had recorded it, because I strung the guy along for a good 20 minutes pretending that I was attempting to follow his instructions but couldn't figure out what I was doing. The call finished somewhat similar to the "you kicked my dog" thing, and he ended up saying some not so nice things about my mother and my wife (i'm not married) in his hilariously thick accent.

It was awesome, and I'd give anything to have it on tape lol

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Get VMware Player, install a virtual machine, and watch the shenanigans as they "help" you fix your computer.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Someone who lets someone they don't even know remotely control their computers, gets everything they deserve.

Im assuming they target old folks?

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Ive had that happen before at home but yesterday they called twice. At my work, which just happens to be a police dept. I specifically told them, "Just so you know, you are calling a PD." They chose to ignore and instead of hanging up they just said, "Well we still need you to check, please begin checking this following path on your computer....etc. etc." It's obvious that these people know they are going to get away with it and nothing is gonna happent to them. They are definitely not scared.

I've just learned to ignore them and hang up. The call did come from India so maybe there isnt much we can do.

edit on 10-4-2014 by blackmetalmist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
With call display i never pick up a number i do not know, they even trick by using local area numbers. The latest one for me was something to do with my airmiles...click...leave a message...they never do. They stop at nothing.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

NeoSpace
Anyone calling you with an Indian accent is just trying to rob you, these bas####s call me at least once a week with a different story...

You may want to re-word that, chief. That's coming across as pretty racist.

I know lots of Indian people and I often travel out there for work - none have ever tried to rob me, or on the phone when I'm cold-called for telemarketing. (WHich is annoying, but not trying to rob me.)

I've encountered the same thing but with Russians. I wouldnt go to the lengths of generically saying anyone who calls me with a Russian accent is trying to rob me.

edit on 10-4-2014 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
That's 'cause you're not Ukrainian.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I got that same call. My brother and I share a house and he had a problem with his AOL password which I logged on to use my account and online connection to get his password reset( maybe it was a virus but I think he just mistyped his password accidentally too often). The problem was fixed. But then we got a call claiming to be from Microsoft about an error. I thought maybe it was a problem on MS' end and this was a followup. But there was so much background noise on his end I could barely hear him and the indian accent didn't help so I hung up. A week later, same call. Okay I had time to kill and my brother wasn't home so I listened and he went through this bit about an event history file . I had to go on my brothers computer while on the phone and I got leery of doing anything on his computer so I just said its okay, thanks but no thanks and hung up again.
Then I researched it on Youtube and got the lowdown on the scam. They have you go into event history where you'll find many occurring errors or whatever. Then they get you to give them the okay to enter your hard drive to fix the problem. They just turn off your virus protection and that program and you then pay them a fee of what might be a hundred dollars or more( it said 120 euros I don't know the exchange rate) and you have them with access to your computer. Not a good idea and I don't think they even install an actual protection program.
I don't know how they get your number and name.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I am reviving this thread, to add current and relevant content:

www.yahoo.com...
MICROSOFT TAKES ACTION AGAINST TECH SUPPORT SCAMMERS
"Microsoft has had enough. Last week, Microsoft filed a lawsuit against Omnitech Support -- a division of Customer Focus Services -- cracking down on tech support scams. The suit accuses Omnitech of unfair and deceptive business practices and trademark infringement.

"It's about time. Microsoft claims it has received more than 65,000 customer complaints related to fraudulent tech support scams just since May of this year.

"Omnitech utilized the Microsoft trademarks and service marks to enhance their credentials and confuse customers about their affiliation with Microsoft," declared Microsoft in a blog post announcing the lawsuit. "Omnitech then used their enhanced credibility to convince consumers that their personal computers are infected with malware in order to sell them unnecessary security services to clean their computers."

"As if that's not bad enough, Omnitech actually introduced security issues that weren't previously there in some instances. After granting Omnitech access to their PCs for the fraudulent tech support, some victims had malicious software installed, such as password stealing utilities that can compromise the user's personal and financial information.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join