It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Your Brain Really Necessary?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I've heard about people like that. Some think that the reason that there able to function normally because they still have a connection to there consciousness. Meaning our mind doesn't "exist" in the brain but on some other level, and the brain is like a reciever.

I've also heard that the brain's fucntions are very repetitive so even if you born with little brain tissue you can be normal.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Now I have reason to believe that this is all a hoax. What do you guys think??

It was surprising to see that highly intelligent people had a very thin layer of gray matter, which is what is normally associated with intelligence. If this is a hoax, ie the data was made up, then it restorest things to normal.

The brain is an organ that runs the nervous system and has controls on some of the glandular fucntions, as such, it is responsible for most actions and the maintenance of homeostasis (I know, not anything new). So a person requires most of the brain simply to be alive, and the opening article sort of toungue in cheekly makes it sound like these people don't have those portions of the brain, whereas it was really talking about the thing layer of specialized cells at the surface of the brain. That is where complex human though occurs.

It seems unlikely that a person could be highly intelligent, but not have much of that layer, because, through human evolution, as that layer becomes more convoluted and more important, the evolving proto-humans become smarter and more technological and artistic. So the statement that its not necessary was shocking. Though perhaps, if it were true, it could mean that these intelligence functions were being relegated to other locations of within the brain, as an ongoing evolutionary process [/stab in the dark].

But, essentially, there is a 'function-brain' over lap. Without parts of the brain tissue, functions are lost in humans, including intelligence.

What makes you think that this data is hoaxed?

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Kind of throwing this out randomly, but if certain parts of the brain are removed, can't other parts in time, or maybe even immediately, take over the functions of the parts that were removed. I remember reading some study on this somewhere. Like part of the motor skills side was removed, then part of the artistic side can learn to process the same skills, or something of that sort. I believe it was more common with the conscious brain taking control of involuntary actions though when the parts that originally controlled them were removed or damaged. This sound right at all?

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Interesting find.

Reminds me of the research suggesting that the "brain" is actually dispersed throughout the body. ...That what we think of as 'brain function' is more a whole body event. But sorry - no links.

...Why do you think this report might be a hoax?

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
What makes you think that this data is hoaxed?

h or
I've never been able to find any corresponding research about it or anything similar other than people mentioning it in a "word of mouth" way.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Keep in mind that Science Magazine is a peer-reviewed journal, which go through a very anal, sado-masochistic, tyrannical thrashing before stuff can be published.

Either:

(1) we are missing the point of the article

(2) this is purely speculation based on a small subset of data

(3) someone wasn't paying attention during the review process.

I vote for (1) and (2).

In the off chance that (3) is correct, and the author published a bunch of crap, here is my suggestion for him/her (gotta be PC these days):

Take out your brain to prove to the world that you don't need it.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralph_The_Wonder_Llama
Take out your brain to prove to the world that you don't need it.

Of course if you did something like that you'd end up dead or a vegetable. But these people who have little brain tissue were born that way meaning there mind in someway came to be which right now we don't know how.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Perhaps it might substantiate the rumor that we actually only use 3% of the brain anyway. I wonder if it includes the absence of the 'reptile' part of the brain also?

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
hahaha this is a funny thread. "the man with no brain". that would make a great movie anyway. science fiction movie.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

Please visit my blog for more information:

profvsprasad.blog.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join