It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

tips on lucid dreaming?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:17 PM
The closest I've gotten to lucid dreaming is when I am having a good dream that I like, and it starts fading away/turning to another dream. Usually, I will latch onto the dream and keep it going, but when I do this, the dream becomes less dreamlike and more like a daydream, until inevitably, I am lying awake in bed, trying to continue this dream. Now, when I grab onto the dream, I do it without realizing it, like its by reflex. Now I've done some research on this topic, and I still need to do more, but I figured I'd ask my fellow ATS'ers for some advice. Many thanks in advance.
edit on 21-3-2014 by LucidWarrior because: Spell check

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:22 PM
I was interested in this for a while so I'll tell you what I found out, and what helped me.

Start a dream journal

Look for reoccurring elements in your dreams to help you realize that you are in a dream. For instance If you don't own a car but often drive in your dreams, you'll realize that this is strange. That's what you want yourself to do.

Do reality checks, i know seems weird but it works in dreams the ones that work for me best are Fingers and time. In your dreams fingers are weird sometimes bending to much, extra ones, etc. Just count them throughout your daily life and you'll start checking in your dreams. Same thing with Time it works different in your dreams so get a watch and check it.

Word of warning, I stopped because Lucid dreaming i read keeps your brain working when it wants to rest. It can be fun but I wouldn't want to lucid dream every night.

To not lose the dream I would suggest not trying to change the story, One dream I had I actually got into a fight with some bystanders because I was not following the Script.

Also try and stay focused if you have a goal that you want to accomplish don't get distracted by the pretty girl that walks in naked lol.

Hope it helps.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, and I'll definitely try all of those. One thing though: I'm not changing the dream, more like trying to continue it after it starts to slip away. I've also managed to go back to a dream after waking up, in the same way, but not lucidity, unfortunately.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:28 PM
reply to post by LucidWarrior

I agree on keeping a dream journal. That can help with anything and everything when it comes to dreams.

I don't know if I have ever had a lucid dream before. I had a dream once where I was walking with a group of people into a huge building with an arch entrance. As I was about to walk through...I noticed the stars in the sky and they were amazingly more beautiful than in real life. My body kept walking into the building, but I REALLY wanted to look at the stars again. I ended up trying to turn my body back around to look out in the sky and it was surprisingly hard to do, but I did it.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:31 PM
reply to post by MoonLightStars

Huh, sounds similar to my experience, although to date I haven't actually changed a dream while it was ongoing yet.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:39 PM

Once you start realizing your dreaming more you will get more used to it. You're getting excited that you're doing it and waking yourself up. Over time you'll just see where it takes you. There is a lot more that you can do with it, that never interested me like Out of body stuff and higher beings. Once you get the hang of it, you'll probably start getting distracted. Being able to do what ever you want what would you do? In a public area what would be the first thing that comes to your mind?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:45 PM
But the thing is, I don't even realize that I'm doing it. It's not a conscious effort on my part, but rather a reflex, or a desire to continue the I stated in the op, its not an abrupt awakening, but rather a gradual one, in which first the dream breaks down, and I lie awake, still continuing the dream in my imagination. I realize this is close to lucid dreaming, but its just I haven't the slightest clue on how to do it on purpose. The first thing I would do in a lucid dream, would be, beyond doubt, flight.
edit on 21-3-2014 by LucidWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:45 PM

Lucid dreaming is awesome. Its one of my favorite hobbies and can share what works for me.

Dream journal. Can't say it enough. Use it first thing in the morning, I set my alarm 10 or 15 minutes earlier to give myself time.

Self Awareness. The more self aware you are during waking hours the more you will be self aware during sleep.

Reality Checks: There are tons of different ideas out there, find a couple that work for you.

In order to recognize when you're dreaming, you need to spark that "Eureka!" moment with a definitive test: a simple question combined with a pre-determined action that you already know is impossible in the waking world.

Top 10 Reality Checks for Lucid Dreams

1.Breathe - Can you hold your nose and mouth shut and breathe?
2.Jump - When you jump, do you float back down?
3.Read - Can you read a sentence twice without it changing?
4.Look - Is your vision clearer or blurrier than normal?
5.Hand - Can you push hand through a solid surface?
6.Time - Can you read a clock face or digital watch?
7.Fly - Can you will yourself to fly or hover above the ground?
8.Palms - Do the palms of your hands look normal close-up?
9.Mirrors - Does your reflection look normal in the mirror?
10.Math - Can you add up two numbers for a correct answer?

reality checks the gateway to lucid dreaming

DILD: Dream Initiated Lucid Dream: The more lucid dreams you have the easier it will be to realize you are dreaming when you are dreaming. Most people will become lucid during a dild.

A Dream Induced Lucid Dream (DILD) is any dream in which you become spontaneously lucid. Your lucidity is prompted by the unreal nature of the dream. You'll consciously recognize that something is out of place (from talking animals, to oddly-colored scenery, to deceased people seemingly alive and well). The realization creates instant lucidity and your dreamworld suddenly becomes real...
DILD lucid dreams are more frequent than contrasting WILDs. In a laboratory study of 76 lucid dreamers, almost three-quarters were dream-initiated, and only one-quarter were wake-initiated

DILD link

WBTB methos: Wake Back To Bed. Set your alarm clock about 4-6 hours after you go to bed and stay awake for about 30 minutes. It increases the chances of having a lucid dream. I typically take a melatonin at this time as well.

This method is a great way for beginners to learn how to have lucid dreams. Many report multiple conscious dreams using the WBTB method, with some lasting over an hour. So if you want to control your dreams but don't give this method a go... you would have to be crazy

WILD: Wake Initiated Lucid Dream:

Wake Initiated Lucid Dream, or WILD, has been called the Holy Grail of lucid dreamers. It is a powerful, yet somewhat elusive technique. Imagine, being able to pass from waking into a lucid dream with no lapse in consciousness, or being able to have a lucid dream every night

wild link

The Wake Induced Lucid Dream (aka WILD) is often considered the most powerful lucid dreaming technique for two reasons:

•Peak Lucidity - WILDs produce the most vivid kind of lucid dream because there is no lapse in consciousness from waking to dreaming.

Also sometimes known as the Mind Awake / Body Asleep technique, the Wake Induced Lucid Dream does exactly what the name suggests, catapulting you directly into the lucid dream state from full consciousness.

The WILD method can also generate so-called Out of Body Experiences, where dreamers believe they are literally traveling beyond their physical bodies to explore the physical world beyond. An extension of this belief is called Astral Projection, based on the theory of the spirit traveling beyond the body and through various non-physical planes. However, neither of these theories are scientifically proven, and many lucid dreamers including myself believe they are types of Wake Induced Lucid Dreams.

Hope this helps! Good luck and have wonderful dreams!!

edit on 21-3-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: spelling

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:49 PM
If you do a lot of it, you can wake up exhausted because you're not really getting refreshing sleep. That's why I stopped working on it. Also, I had a hard time controlling them, as my monkey brain would take over and just want to go find naked women.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:14 PM
reply to post by Blue Shift

Exactly lol^^^ what he said lol. Though I do think its a powerful tool that should be explored.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:48 PM

I have tried for years to be able to lucid dream,with many of the tips already posted here-none worked for me,but I have accidently got into the lucid zone-It seems to happen when I am overtired but cannot drop off to sleep-I get into a level of "semi sleep" where I am aware I am not quite asleep,but not properly awake either.
In that state,I can consciously dream about whatever I choose,and direct the dream.

I would love to be able to do this at will,but I never have so far-it only happens sometimes when I am overtired.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:59 PM
As everyone has mentioned a dream journal.

I kept often what I had for dinner the previous night if I obtained Dream Lucidity and then after a few days (giving my brain a rest) I would have the same meal and note the results.

If I had more time I would be spending it doing some more Dreamwork and mind hacking!
edit on 21-3-2014 by abeverage because: of dream spelling...

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:09 PM

Conscious intent prior to sleeping helps some, tell yourself aloud what it is you want before drifting off every night. I've never really had too much of a problem becoming lucid (has for the most part happened pretty naturally for me) but I did find it common that I upon realizing it would wake up. I've found looking down at my shoes the moment I realize it is a dream or when I feel like I may wake seems to anchor me there (some say you can focus on anything but I typically just focus on my shoes). If the dream is losing it's vividness I've read spinning yourself until vividness is re-achieved works for many. The thing about spinning though is it's common for it to change the dream scene as well, another technique to reestablish vividness without changing the scene is to vigorously rub your hands together until things seems to stabilize. It's almost like you're trying to focus your senses inward/on the dream to maintain it's reality.

Once lucid some people seem to have difficulties taking full control of the dream via simple will alone, something I've found that may help with this is I personally cannot day-dream/fantasize/imagine/visualize myself somewhere else in my head while in a dream the same as if I was awake. This may not work for everyone but when trying to change a dream and simple will is not working… visualize what you want in your mind as if you were awake. I stumbled onto this by accident, when I tried to picture myself somewhere else in my head while dreaming the same as I can do when awake. I found that it changed the entire dream scene to that very same thing I was picturing; I haven't found the limits to this method yet.
edit on 21-3-2014 by Strayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:06 PM
Thanks for all the tips so far everyone, I will definitely be trying them all

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 04:54 PM
I can fly in any dream I have. If you want to fly in your dream all you have to do is a certain move or stance to begin flying around.

I know it sounds stupid but I stand in a figure A. Each time I do that I can willingly fly anywhere I want to in my mind. One thing to remember is to never dought, or over compensate the thought of losing control of your flight. By thinking that you are going to crash you will.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:32 PM

All Hail The "Snooze" Button.

Best invention ever. Set an alarm an hour or so before you normally would (if you use one) and let yourself nod in and out of sleep while hitting the snooze button. Works wonders for lucid dreaming in my experience because waking from a dream and being able to go straight back into it gives one more power to control it.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:49 AM

I can fly in any dream I have. If you want to fly in your dream all you have to do is a certain move or stance to begin flying around.

So can I....soimetimes.

I often run and jump like a gymnast who uses a trampette to bounce. Sometimes I fly and it's the take-off to soaring, sometimes I flop and end up on my face. I use this little dream as a measure of how life is going.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 03:30 PM
reply to post by nerbot

I've heard that... I'll give it a try tonight

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:29 PM

Apart from the dream journal - My advice would be to try getting yourself up a little earlier than normal. Most places on the net recommend after doing so, stay awake for 10-30 minutes. Please do this - the reason why I won't tell you to go directly back to sleep is that from my experience, if you just reset the alarm and get comfortable, the dreams may come on suddenly, and catch you unaware.

For example, I once reset the alarm, and immediately closed my eyes - Couple seconds later, I had a false awakening, where I looked at my phone and thought that I was running late; woke up, looked at my phone, and discovered I only slept for about 5 minutes.

Didn't notice much exhaustion on a normal basis, but when using the "1 hour earlier alarm" method, I did get exhausted, because I kept on waking up every 5 minutes or so due to partial lucidity, vivid non-lucid dreams, or false awakenings (still waiting for a conscious OBE to occur; it's bound to happen at some point or another).

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:09 AM
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

top topics

<<   2 >>