It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationists Demand Airtime On 'Cosmos' For The Sake Of Balance

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Religion is about power and control and running a job club for the church, keep the myth going and we keep our self employed, keep hammering the stories home and we will always have a job. There is NO proof of god(s) and never will be.

It goes beyond employment, it's about gathering wealth, despite what their god told them.

Matthew 19:21
Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

Matthew 6:19
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

"In the beginning the church was a fellowship of men and women centering on the living Christ. Then the church moved to Greece where it became a philosophy. Then it moved to Rome where it became an institution. Next, it moved to Europe, where it became a culture. And, finally, it moved to America where it became an enterprise".--Richard Halverson

They must tow the line, keep the gullible dumbed down, or science will kill their pocket book!

This is just the tip of a very sick culture.

Kenneth Copeland – Copeland Ministries Flies around in a $17.5 Jet, lives in a $6 million lakefront mansion with a 1,500 acre campus and a private airstrip. He and his wife make over $655,000 a year in salary alone. It’s not clear whether this includes speaking fees, book royalties, and “love offerings.”

Creflo Dollar – World Changers Church International Drives a Rolls-Royce and lives in a Million dollar home in Atlanta, and a 2.5 million-dollar apartment in Manhattan. Dollar will not release his salary information.

John Hagee – Cornerstone Church His last released salary was nearly $1 million per year (2004). Hagee does not release his earnings anymore.

Charles Blake – West Angeles Church of God in Christ Owns a 10,000 square foot mansion in Beverly Hills (btw his congregation hails mostly from impoverished South Central LA) His year salary is $900,000 per year.

Benny Hinn – Miracle Worker In 1997 he admitted to making between $500k & $1 million dollars per year

Joel Osteen – Lakewood Church Stopped taking his $200,000 salary several years ago. Makes tens of millions off of his numerous books. Joel & family live in a $10.5 million – get this – 17,000 square foot mansion. Treasures in heaven people.

Bishop Eddie Long – New Birth Missionary Baptist Church Long made over $3 million in a three year period from 1997 to 2000. He drives a Bentley, and lives in a 1.4 million dollar home on 20 acres. An investigation into his non profit showed he made more than $1 million dollars from them on top of his church income. No doubt some of that went toward his legal fees in 2011.

Ed Young – Fellowship Church Dot Com Lives in a 10k square foot 1.5 million dollar home. He gets paid a cool $1 million dollars a year, plus a $240,000 parsonage allowance. That doesn’t count the royalties he makes off of his recent Sexperiment.

Franklin Graham – Billy Graham Evangelistic Association In 2008 he reportedly made 1.2 million dollars. Your father should slap your face Franklin.

Source

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by Fromabove

The show, Cosmos, doesn't suck though. It is well informed with a good host and provides good scientific information about our universe and how it works. Unlike a religion that damns someone to eternal burning for the actions they committed during a super small, teeny-tiny amount of that time. But hey believe what you want, if it gives you solace at night to know that good people who don't believe in god are being unspeakably tortured for the rest of eternity, then who am I to say otherwise. Personally, I wouldn't wish that fate on my worst enemies, let alone good, caring people, but hey what are you going to do? I find it funny after posting a link that speaks about PERSONAL letters written by Mother Teresa saying that she no longer has faith, you rationalize that she is still probably in heaven, despite your claim that all non-believers burn. I CAN however question your source of information.
edit on 26-3-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

No, it's not well informed, it can't explain the origins or life and the universe. It should stick to the wonders of both without the philosophy.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

The people who are saying the earth is 6,000 years old are reading into something that is clearly not said.

The universe may have cycles. Even the Bible says that there will be a new heaven and earth. But whatever there is that exists could not by it's own self simply come into existence, have perfect order and cycle so wonderfully.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

amazing

So, who would get a shot at being on Cosmos though? Only Christians or Hindu's, Muslims and Native American's as well?

No, all these religions accept science as a tool of discovery. But COSMOS is pseudo-philosophical and trying the explain things they can't prove or know. When you base assumptions as science you get something not science like global warming.

If they stick to explaining what they know things are and how they do the things they do and the wonders of it all as it relates to proven science, that would be good and I would enjoy watching it.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs

Also, COMOS is an indoctrination tool to blame God and praise science, not evolution, even though they agree with the concept.

How is this show an indoctrination tool to blame God?

In any case it's a one sided bad science documentary and too heavily opinionated for us Bible thumpers, as you call them.
I don't think God will be mentioned at all beyond what Tyson already said: We don't know where life came from.
Period.
We don't.

Men wrote the Bible, supposedly via channeling. No more - or less - legitimate than Bashar (who we can no longer discuss here, but - who essentially is delivering a benevolent, loving message, in my opinion). All simply men thinking thoughts and declaring them.

You have quite a heavily opinionated bias against science, I see that clearly.

Seriously, what is with your judgment of people who aren't "Bible thumpers" and your violent hatred for the show???

edit on 3/26/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

I like science. As for equal time? For what? No, I don't think they need to. I think the show reveals it's motives pretty well for all to see.

edit on 26-3-2014 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hmmmm.... how do you say something you really want people to understand without all of the anti-God backlash, let's try anyways.

The show COSMOS is not a science documentary program. It is an indoctrination piece. The whole reason the question is even raised to say if Christians etc. should have a say of equal time in it is because the bias is there for all to see. It is a one sided philosophical work to teach young minds there is no God and that the universe merely popped into existence, created order out of chaos, and created life all on it's own. There seems to be an undercurrent of resentment towards God in the show as far as I can tell right now.

As a Christian, would I want air time on that show? No. because I want people to question the philosophy. This was how I made my exist as an atheist to a Christian. The truth will be seen even if they wrap it up in vanity, tie a bow on it, and use cgi.

Why else would the atheists need to ask if Christians are offended and need equal time if they didn't already know the answer.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Your position is one of pure anti-intellectualism. Rather than reconcile rigorous science and empirical evidence with your religious beliefs, you instead attempt to water down the challenging implications of recent scientific discoveries by putting them on even (shaky) footing of your irrational beliefs. This isn't about mere philosophical differences or fair and balance, it's a blatant refusal to accept reality. You're only fooling yourself and other like-minded religious anti-intellectuals when you try and downgrade the credibility of science to that of outdated superstitions.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Fromabove

Krazysh0t

The show, Cosmos, doesn't suck though. It is well informed with a good host and provides good scientific information about our universe and how it works. Unlike a religion that damns someone to eternal burning for the actions they committed during a super small, teeny-tiny amount of that time. But hey believe what you want, if it gives you solace at night to know that good people who don't believe in god are being unspeakably tortured for the rest of eternity, then who am I to say otherwise. Personally, I wouldn't wish that fate on my worst enemies, let alone good, caring people, but hey what are you going to do? I find it funny after posting a link that speaks about PERSONAL letters written by Mother Teresa saying that she no longer has faith, you rationalize that she is still probably in heaven, despite your claim that all non-believers burn. I CAN however question your source of information.

No, it's not well informed, it can't explain the origins or life and the universe. It should stick to the wonders of both without the philosophy.

But there are valid theories about how the universe started as well as how life develops (Big Bang and evolution). There is a pretty good hypothesis about how life started (abiogenesis). All of that is sound science, so why wouldn't the show be able to talk about that? While the abiogenesis hypothesis isn't in the theory territory yet, it is still science attempting to explain how life started. It should definitely be discussed. At least there is evidence, observation and experimentation to support all these concepts. The bible, not so much...

Just because you've deluded yourself into thinking that those things aren't true, doesn't mean that Cosmos shouldn't talk about them. You are just misinformed, Cosmos is still correct and well informed.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Is this TV show spouting Big Bang theory as fact?

If so, I want to see more of alternative theories (Electric Universe) aired too.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Fromabove

Hmmmm.... how do you say something you really want people to understand without all of the anti-God backlash, let's try anyways.

The show COSMOS is not a science documentary program. It is an indoctrination piece. The whole reason the question is even raised to say if Christians etc. should have a say of equal time in it is because the bias is there for all to see. It is a one sided philosophical work to teach young minds there is no God and that the universe merely popped into existence, created order out of chaos, and created life all on it's own. There seems to be an undercurrent of resentment towards God in the show as far as I can tell right now.

As a Christian, would I want air time on that show? No. because I want people to question the philosophy. This was how I made my exist as an atheist to a Christian. The truth will be seen even if they wrap it up in vanity, tie a bow on it, and use cgi.

Why else would the atheists need to ask if Christians are offended and need equal time if they didn't already know the answer.

The Cosmos show is not an indoctrination piece, an indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned. Indoctrinated people are what you find in the religious communities where people are found saying things like there is evidence of a creator deity. By the way, no one said the universe just popped into existence that is what the "sacred texts" say happened from a deity that just popped into existence.

I read somewhere where someone asked. If god made the whole universe out of nothing then why did he need a rib from Adom to make Eve?

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Burt those are the people who want equal airtime.

(You have to pay attention if you want to come to these meetings
)

As a Christian, would I want air time on that show? No. because I want people to question the philosophy. This was how I made my exist as an atheist to a Christian.

Well, these are self-proclaimed Christians who do want airtime, and you have said that you don't agree with them (that the Earth is only 6,000 human years old).

The truth will be seen even if they wrap it up in vanity, tie a bow on it, and use cgi.

Who is "they"?

Who did how in the what now??
What atheists asked Christians if they are offended? Seems to me the Christians ala Ham started the debate.

If I missed something, please do show me where. I don't see atheists asking anyone??????

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Why all the fuss wanting equal airtime on Cosmos?
I've never heard any christians moaning about not getting equal airtime on one of the greatest astrophysical shows in the world (and the longest running I believe), The Sky at Night.

Obviously nothing to do with ratings and publicity...
edit on 26/3/14 by Pardon? because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I say give them air time. They will look like jackasses

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
There's absolutely no reason to give the anti science crowd a voice on a series that is entirely based in science. The anti science Christians already have their own network, CBN, and van present their own version on shows like the 700 club. I don't see the 700 club presenting pro evolution evidence, why should anyone want to give them another venue to present their views when their own platforms are closed to dissenting views. It's rather hypocritical IMO, or par for the course.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

I just had a chance to watch the vid you posted.

I was listening to him talk about the not-cool stuff about the way we're designed, and thought: How stupid is it that our airway and foodway are the same hole????? I mean, Really? I've thought that for a long time.....

And then --- he mentioned it.

Yay, that he mentioned that!

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Yep. Bad design, not intelligent design.

Neil has also pointed out in the past that between our legs we essentially have an entertainment complex built right next door to a sewer processing plant. Bad design!

Our backs are another example of bad design. We don't have the skeletal structure to properly support our bipedalism, and so most adults of our species have back problems. Which makes sense if you look at tit from the point of view of evolved bipedalism, but from an ID point of view it's terrible design which makes no sense.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Tyson's got some good ones on stupid design, NonStampCollector takes it to the next level of wacky things inherent in our sexual biology. His videos are a great mix of comic reality coupled with serious research.

"Hang them on the outside of the body in a hairy sack made out of chicken skin."

edit on fWednesday145939f590109 by flyingfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

I have seen that one before, but man it was worth watching again. Intelligent design... pfft... yeah right. God sucks at texas holdem.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Stay tuned for my next critique of the pseudo-science show COSMOS. I will again point out the foolishness in it. And also why Christians need not bother asking for equal time on it. Coming next is episode 4. Don't change that dial.

edit on 27-3-2014 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

In the meantime, could you please answer my questions to you from the post above? The last one I made in response to you?

edit on 3/27/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join