It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationists Demand Airtime On 'Cosmos' For The Sake Of Balance

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by helius

When we are dealing with the cosmos we are not dealing with real and excellent scientists like those who are doing science on medicine and the like. I apologize if anyone were led to believe that. It is the ‘scientists’ that have mainstream theories about existential questions I don’t accept as real scientists.

Just because they have lots of computer power to run their simulation programs or lots of time to play with their multi billion (state of the art) toy in CERN to hunt ghosts , it does not give them the right to call themselves scientists. Up until now, everything that they have ever presented are false and highly doubtful theories which they always present with arrogance and proud and as if they should be absolute and proven truths , claimed in the name of science.

New software based on CERN's particle simulation toolkit Geant4 is being used to assess radiation doses in the fight against cancer.
Geant4 was developed to model and visualize the passage of particles through matter. Now Frederic Brochu of the University of Cambridge is adapting the toolkit in a new programme called GHOST (Geant Human Oncology Simulation Tool) that simulates radiation deposition in a patient’s body over an entire course of radiotherapy treatment. (Geant Human Oncology Simulation Tool) GHOST

edit on 25-3-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

The idea of travelling to the beginning of the universe in an imaginary spaceship (which only ever got in the way of the special effects), drawing on mathematical (abstract) conclusions rather than natural phenomena, postulating ideas of all-encompassing forces, teleological principles, multi-verses, dimensions and other theories, the underhanded remarks against religion, and the abundant use of overly romantic imagery to sell an idea.

It's supposed to appeal to a variety of learners interesting in knowing the scientific principles behind the ideas and concepts currently being tossed against walls in the laboratories of prestigious science facilities everywhere. But I do agree with the underhanded remarks part - completely unnecessary and juvenile.

Now, I don't watch television these days—I suppose maybe all shows might be like this—but I watched it because I wanted to see the science, not the ideology.

I wasn't under the impression that the show was a recruitment device...?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Acts 2 (NKJV) "And there will be signs in the heavens above and in the earth beneath, blood, fire and vapors of smoke.

There already are those things. Not even rarely - Every day, somewhere.

And the sun will be turned into darkness and the moon into blood before the great and notable day of the Lord come."

The moon turning into blood - not gonna happen, but harvest moons make them orange when they rise. Sun turning into darkness is an eclipse. They happen often.

So - does it say how long between those events and the notable day? We've been waiting for 2000 years....still no Lord has come.

Also, I thought a "day" for God was eons for mortals.
Anyway, he's not here. I wouldn't hold my breath.

edit on 3/25/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

1. We are alone in the universe? You really believe that?

2. Everything goes in cycles? never said it didn't, just that God uses such event to point out periods of time like signposts.

3. Quoting prophecy gets me no where? Well, that may be your opinion but for me it tells me things to come, that hasn't happened yet.

4. It's not like earthquakes, volcano eruptions and eclipses don't happen every year? They do, but I think the scripture was talking about world wide and catastrophic in nature so much so that the sun in severely dimmed and the moon gives a reddish color to it. And all of it within a very short time period.

5. Everything falls into belief at one point? My point exactly. Both science and the belief in a creator God take faith. Science shows proof by testing the universe. Proof of God is because there is a universe. Both are religious because both require faith at one point.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs

Acts 2 (NKJV) "And there will be signs in the heavens above and in the earth beneath, blood, fire and vapors of smoke.

There already are those things. Not even rarely - Every day, somewhere.

And the sun will be turned into darkness and the moon into blood before the great and notable day of the Lord come."

The moon turning into blood - not gonna happen, but harvest moons make them orange when they rise. Sun turning into darkness is an eclipse. They happen often.

So - does it say how long between those events and the notable day? We've been waiting for 2000 years....still no Lord has come.

Also, I thought a "day" for God was eons for mortals.
Anyway, he's not here. I wouldn't hold my breath.

I was going to offer a reply but I can see you don't read the Bible much or you would understand time better. Things happen all the time but this event is world wide and at the same time. It will be a notable day (a day to remember).

That God has not returned yet is a concept of your mind. God is with me all the time. He is with every believer. He's not with the unbeliever. So when these things happen I will say I expected it because He said it, but you might be surprised and not expect Him to return when He does.

Ok, I know, I replied.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

4. It's not like earthquakes, volcano eruptions and eclipses don't happen every year? They do, but I think the scripture was talking about world wide and catastrophic in nature so much so that the sun in severely dimmed and the moon gives a reddish color to it. And all of it within a very short time period.

Can you please define "a very short time period"?

The worldwide and catastrophic stuff happening in rapid succession means it will be a nuclear war of global proportions. What bothers me is that there are people who want to bring it on....

No More War ftw!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Fromabove
reply to post by Krazysh0t

1. We are alone in the universe? You really believe that?

No, I believe that we currently are alone. That's not to say that an alien race or god doesn't exist out in the cosmos, just that we currently are alone. The statement is still true. We've discovered neither aliens nor god, so until we do, we are alone in the universe.

2. Everything goes in cycles? never said it didn't, just that God uses such event to point out periods of time like signposts.

No he doesn't. But then again attributing some random natural disaster as a sign for some divine intervention is a staple of religious people.

I'd like to know what events god uses to point out these notable periods in time: Rise of Rome (and the Roman Empire), Holocaust, the atomic bomb going off, the crusades, Genghis Kahn conquering his way across Asia and parts of Europe, fall of Mayan empire, man's first flight, and man's first trip into space to name a few. Those are all historical events that altered the future of humanity, surely god being the warning type, threw out some natural disasters or signs to let everyone know that these events were occurring right? Also if two historical events happen simultaneously in the world but have nothing to do with each other, how is the discerning Christian to know which historical event gods warnings are predicting?

3. Quoting prophecy gets me no where? Well, that may be your opinion but for me it tells me things to come, that hasn't happened yet.

No it doesn't, prophecies, unless they are uselessly vague NEVER come true. Point out one that has come true. I just know you are going to point out the prophecies about Jesus, but those are only true in that some were written after he was born and the others are uselessly vague.

You think? So you don't know what it was talking about? Ok, that just leads credence to the uselessly vague position. Red moons already happen by the way and have nothing to do with debris being thrown into the atmosphere, obscuring our view of it.

5. Everything falls into belief at one point? My point exactly. Both science and the belief in a creator God take faith. Science shows proof by testing the universe. Proof of God is because there is a universe. Both are religious because both require faith at one point.

No you are reading too far into what I said. All I said is that nothing is certain. There ARE however different levels of believability for things. First off, proof of god doesn't come from the fact that a universe exists. We don't know how or why the universe was created, god is just one answer. It isn't a proof of anything. We cannot test this claim, we cannot observe this claim, we just say it is so without any justification. It is on an ENTIRELY different level of faith as a claim made by science which is supported by evidence, observations, and experimentation all producing the same results. Something like evolution or gravity may not be 100% proven, but they have FAR more evidence in their corner than your god does.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I was going to offer a reply but I can see you don't read the Bible much or you would understand time better.

Well, I understand your average Jane's concept of time.
I also know that there are people who say that the 6 days it took to for God to create everything was really thousands of years....
so they got to 6,000. Not reasonable.

6 billion? Okay, I can go with that.

Since you seem to be the expert on the Bible (which I admittedly don't read) and offering me a sage and profound explanation, I'd like to hear it.

I do believe there are 10s of Thousands of pastors, priests, deacons, rectors, preachers, elders, and ministers who would all give me a different answer, though.

No?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

IMO those people are the reason religion is dangerous, but it isn't just the ones who want to bring on the end times it is also the ones who think the world was made just for man to use as he pleases some "sacred texts" say man was given dominion over everything. That is a very dangerous mindset as well as those who will not even entertain the idea of climate change because in their "sacred texts" a flood was the last time their deity would wipe out mankind. That last one is a belief held by a congressman that sits on the science board in the US. You can't reason with people like that.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

That God has not returned yet is a concept of your mind. God is with me all the time. He is with every believer. He's not with the unbeliever. So when these things happen I will say I expected it because He said it, but you might be surprised and not expect Him to return when He does.

So. Okay, I think I got this:
God is already here and with you all the time (not Jesus, just God), and he's with every believer.
But he's not with unbelievers (did I say I was an unbeliever? I'm totally agnostic)....
so, you won't be surprised. while an unbeliever might be. Okay, absolutely. I will be surprised, amazed, bowled over, breathless, saying well eff me, and probably wetting myself. I don't faint, though....at least not so far. Although in this case, I might!!

But

But

but it will be happening to you also - correct?

It will hurt you and yours. Right here next to the unbelievers....to say "told ya so" or "neener neener" -
trust me, my mouth will be hanging open and I will be sprinting to the front of the line to ask some questions, hand in the air.

But what will happen then? We all form a queue, based on socio-economic status or race or ethnicity; or Christian or Jew or Buddhist or Hindu or Unitarian Universalist or Baptist or JW aos;i;oasi?omg';.......illegible (x30,000)? Gender, age, sexual orientation, etc.?

Or will there be lots of lines, like in the old days at college, when it was punch-cards and booths, and lines divided up by alphabet....

Truly. You got me thinking. What will happen then? When he comes riding in a cloud?
(Aside from the already-noted Mother Earth Indicators)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

I wish I could applaud that post.

Have you been watching the series? I tried again Sunday night and fell asleep. So far I don't find it that compelling.
To be honest.

But yes.

It's time to let go of the scriptures...stop arguing and fighting about them.....erase.......
new hard drive. Upload from USB....
and start from where we are now,-- without using them. THAT would be a brilliant project.

copyright BuzzyWigs 2014

I'll get started on the screenplay.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I watched half of the first one and have been downloading them to watch another day. From what I have seen I like it is easy to watch and be drawn in. I think it will inspire many new young scientists.

As far as reformating our hard drives that would be fine. I honestly have no problem with believers of deities. I don't think belief in and of itself is harmful but when people seek help or depend on things outside themselves whether they from gods or demons is not a righteous path.

Deities can be respected, but they can't be relied upon.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I watched half of the first one and have been downloading them to watch another day. From what I have seen I like it is easy to watch and be drawn in. I think it will inspire many new young scientists.

Yes!!

I'm planning on watching them......the problem is that I fall asleep too early in the evening to watch prime-time/late-night TV.

Considering the general viewing audience of FOX, though, I'd say it's a good move. Especially since it follows Bob's Burgers...American Dad, The Simpsons, and Family Guy....LOL!
'cause those are the kids (and *ahem* grown up boomers) who will be awed by it, and inspired. Good call, Grimpachi!!

Like I asked in the OP (or thereabouts), why would FOX carry this???

Maybe they're getting more balanced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So. "NO" to the petition from Answers in Genesis. And that's it.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs
So. NO to Answers in Genesis. And that's it.

You want an even funnier site? Try godsaidmansaid.com. They have gems such as this:

Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

For example, it is the reason the Chinese have slanted eyes. The group of people who began speaking Chinese at the Tower of Babel could only understand one another.

Priceless.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

tsingtao

GetHyped

helius
What we need is to get to the next stage. That would require ‘science’ to scrap about everything they cling to, and start over from scratch, as well as to cooperate with everybody who want to participate. That includes the creationists.

Creationists have absolutely nothing to offer. But sure,let's throw out the very tool that has given us all the wondrous technological and medical breakthroughs of the last few centuries and instead start from scratch and cooperate with ignorant creationists because... er, what was your reasoning again?

yeah that's why science has been busting their ball(s) to disprove anything in the bible.

have you noticed that we have more crap wrong with people when science got involved?

anyway, creationists tells science where to look. u look and figure it out.

if it wasn't for the bible, science would never happen. right?

the bible makes ya think.

please name one well known scientist that said, or used as a starting point, "im going to disprove this bible thing".

true science doesnt give two shakes for your bible.

without the bible there would be no science? try telling that to the greeks that figured out the earth was round, just one of their many discoveries, nearly a thousand years before the bible was created.

then the bible came around and we entered a thousand years of intellectual stagnation. why look when you have a book that tells you all the answers?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

stormson
then the bible came around and we entered a thousand years of intellectual stagnation. why look when you have a book that tells you all the answers?

You are short changing the Church, people were still being burnt at the stake in the 1500's.

Good times.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Like I asked in the OP (or thereabouts), why would FOX carry this???

Maybe they're getting more balanced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FOX doesn't give two shakes about balance the only thing they really care about are ratings and the political mindset of their corporate masters.

Just a little off topic here but I think one of the worst things that has come about in my lifetime has been the advent of 24 hr news stations. People are actually less informed now than when news had time slots. They harp on and on about the same thing show after show.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

the only thing they really care about are ratings and the political mindset of their corporate masters.

And they are heavily influenced by the Republican party.

So - is this the GOP trying to reclaim the youth they have already lost???

It indeed seems "a desperate ploy" when you look at it in that light. But I think Mr Tyson is genuine.
Ratings notwithstanding, FOX knows who their viewers are at various times of day.

Pandering to the majority? VERY likely.

Still - at least they didn't contract a show about Creationism. As pedestrian and hollywood as the new Cosoms may be -
it may indeed inspire youngsters whose parents have gone to bed to think it over.

For that? I offer

Oh, and

to whomever.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Whew that one's pretty intense.
Thanks for pointing it out.

I notice it says there are only 1,700 flavors to choose from....

The confusion is enormous. The cumulative heaps of distortion are mind-boggling and lies have become "truth." Is man able to find absolute truth?

Welcome to GodSaidManSaid.

Today there are over 1,700 religious sects, cults and denominations confessing to be the bearers of light, yet most are in contradiction with one another. A man or woman seeking the truth is like a rat in a maze of 1,700-plus roads with only one reaching the "God" destination. Many will assume theirs is the correct one. Your chances are not good.

Fortunately, the God who created all things has written a book-an owner's manual, which is commonly known as the Holy Bible. This majority-text holy writ is the living, inerrant word of the living God.

The purpose of this web site is to prove scientifically, scholastically, and pragmatically that the Bible is authored by the finger of God, is perfect in its entirety, and will hold all men accountable to God at a fast approaching judgment day.

- See more at: godsaidmansaid.com...

"I know it because I have this book...and it explains everything."

Reminds me of the geocentricity junk mail brochure I got in my mailbox a few weeks ago.

In astronomy, the geocentric model (also known as geocentrism, or the Ptolemaic system), is a description of the cosmos where Earth is at the orbital center of all celestial bodies. This model served as the predominant cosmological system in many ancient civilizations such as ancient Greece including the noteworthy systems of Aristotle (see Aristotelian physics) and Ptolemy. As such, they assumed that the Sun, Moon, stars, and naked eye planets circled Earth.[1]

This is just the wiki entry, but it explains it

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

BuzzyWigs
"I know it because I have this book...and it explains everything."

What you eventually find out on that site is that not only are all the other religions wrong but unless you are toting around your trusty King Jimmy then you have also got yourself the wrong Bible.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join