It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How could humanity change so much in such a few decades.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I am a massive fan of the old actors such as Jeff Chandler, James Stewart, Audie Murphy, James Mason, John Gielgud, Peter Cushing, (and many more), and whenever i sit down and watch old interviews with them on youtube, they are just so well spoken, so gentle, so peaceful, so intelligent, and just seem like really good people.

Fast forward to today, and you see actors on set fighting/ swearing/ cursing or you hear about them high on drugs and arrested all the time. Now i`m not saying actors from the past were perfect, everyone knows about marlon brando/ judy garlands problems, but today, these supposed role models for society just seem to have such little class.
Their humour is just the F word or toilet humour, i mean seriously, people today think toilet noises are just hillarious, and to be cool you need to say the F word every two lines.

What has happened to these classy but humble well spoken people, how has society changed so much that if you were on television having that kind of an interview, people would loose interest fast - they want to see you spill the dirt on people, they want violence etc.

And before anybody says that meh these old actors were just as bad as today, they just put on a clean image for the cameras, i have already covered that i am well aware that some actors had their problems, and i am well aware that there was just as many conflicts in the world back then too.
However - the way you hear most of them speaking, ie humble, classy, without the F word every two seconds, IS genuinely how they were in real life, and genuinely how the majority of society was.

I really hate what society has become, from all these gangs that litter the modern world with their silly petty wars over drugs and neighbourhoods, to a society which cares more about the newest iphone and apps, than one another.

Maybe this is why history shows that every so often, an asteroid or something happens that hits the virtual reset button. Maybe whoever is running the shots, call it god or call it aliens or nature, gets fed up of what we become and decides to wipe the slate clean and give it one more try.

And please dont tell me that its up to me to try change the world.. it is everybody that needs to change, and that isnt going to happen, try telling talibans, or some silly mexican mafia gang, just not going to happen.. this is why the reset button is the only way. What do you think

edit on 21-3-2014 by eliuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I'm a big fan of those old guys as well, and often ask myself exactly how this world went from ,say, Andy Griffith to Peter Griffin in such a relatively short time period.

I honestly have no idea how, but highly suspect it has been orchestrated.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Money...
Actors had to work for their money back then, now they are spoiled children. They are rich and constantly told how great they are so they believe it. Athletes are the same way.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
In a nutshell...Craig Ferguson sums it up best:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

Hi op..I had written this kind of rant earlier and didn't really have a place in mind to put it.I guess you could change some of the subject words but I think the just of it reaches into your thread and so I would like to share it cui bono who benefits ...Archaeology if taken seriously needs to follow a procedure not so much to see what artifact may be found but to be able to add knowledge . Seeing that the who what when where why and how are very important to telling the story not for the story's sake but for the historical context .Trying to reconstruct old archaeological finds becomes more of a forensic examination that usually includes investigating the man behind the find and looking for the motives he may have had to claim a find .Integrity matters .

When we look at what posters find to bring to the table on the board we start our investigation into the matter from different angles .Seldom do we start with the poster that found it .When we discover in consistencies in the evidence and tell tale signs of fabrication or plagiarism we pause for reflection .The long ago reconstruction of a narrative becomes much harder mostly because there is much we don't know being separated by the length of time and knowing other outside influences that we are unable to account for .

Looking at fresh stories that hit the board is not as hard in that we are aware of things going on on the same day half away around the world .What we do lack is the correct narrative and find ourselves struggling to get a clear picture .News happens fast and changes fast .One would think that the story we are hearing was factual based on our ability to be correct on a matter in a short time frame .Usually the devil is in the details and most times the details are pure fiction .A fabrication of a story made to simulate the real one with the false one .cui bono . Some say follow the money and are lead down a narrative away from the true story .Others are set in motion of suspicion and also a narrative is created that turns out not to be true .

I was thinking about wrong accusations and how being wrongly accused if much more hurtful then accusing someone else .Some how it's possible to go through life and never consider the two sides to that coin .Much like mistakes in a way .They are easy to make and sometimes hard to correct .They are only embarrassing to admit to .They can be easy to forget but can burn in our minds a long time. Fool me once shame on you ,fool me twice shame on me . Some are not shamed and make no excuses .Some have no need to correct their errors and may be paid to create them .Some are paid killers and make no excuses .Some kill for free and enjoy doing it for the fun of it .....I am glad there are some that the truth and integrity matter to .Better to have a little hope then none I guess ....

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
When I was a kid, my granddad once told me that some of the raunchiest songs he ever heard were the songs he listened to as a kid. Check out this NSFW gem from 1935: Lucille Bogan- "Shave 'em dry." Modern rappers have nothing on this lady. I'm not kidding, this is one of the filthiest songs I've ever heard.

I would argue society hasn't changed at all. What happens is we become dissatisfied with who we are and where were at (as a society) and start to romanticize the past. We feel that somehow, things were just better back then when they may not have been better at all. The people from prior generations probably felt the same way and so on.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Not familiar with Craig, but you know, he does make a certain sense here. Thanks for posting that.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I think the change of humanity could be accomplished in a much lesser time span. No matter where you live take out the water supply, take out the sewerage removal and essentially the food supply and everyone would (not could) revert back to a caveman existence. Even if you are self sufficient sooner or later the mass of cavemen will get to you. I know somewhere there was a study done where the time line given for complete breakdown of society with these parameters was something in the region of two weeks. some pockets would survive longer but in the long run, knowing humanity seriously depends on others, eventually these pockets would fall.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Your nostalgia glasses are on too tight buddy. You even admit in your op that things weren't as rosy as you are trying to paint them then rationalize it away immediately.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FatherStacks

This is my approach.
I think part of it is this "next generation" mentality. Lots of famous people are being born into it now, since it's been established.
I also think that things were just as racy and crude back then, but without the mass media circus that goes on today, it was mostly found in seedy places or hidden from plain sight.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by eliuk

Society hasn't changed. It is that with todays technology we see more of it.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Because society has loosened its chains.

In the old days people were stifled in what they could or couldn't say, lest they be admonished for any taboo-breaking faux pas.

It all comes down to people following the social expectations of the day.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Outstanding!
Ferguson is absolutely right and hilarious - even though it's somewhat scary.

"You don't know you're stupid"... hilarious!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

Yep. Nailed it.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Television, films actors and comedians are not real people , they do not represent humanity.

Free yourself and switch off the set.

top topics

join