It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disabled Iraq Veteran Faces Eviction

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
And it continues in this country not taking care of our Vets. I vol. for the wounded Worriers and this makes me sick!

An Iraq war veteran is facing eviction from his apartment in Memphis.

Robert Hamilton served in the Army in Iraq, where he suffered multiple concussions. The decorated and disabled combat service member now lives with his service dog, Roam, in the Houston Levee apartment complex in Cordova; the two are inseparable.

www.opposingviews.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
An eviction because of a dog yes it does happen , so just because he is a vet he should get special attention because of his dog ?

Here I was thinking they kicked him out because the government was not giving him money to support himself or something to that effect .

Well that was misleading thread title guess it is news because it is a vet i guess.. who cares about the single mother being tossed out on the street with her kids because she cant make ends meet , but lets get out raged over a vet and his dog ..

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Frankly, I'm sick of hearing about vets and war. I wish they'd disappear into the woodwork and leave us in peace.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Restricted
Frankly, I'm sick of hearing about vets and war. I wish they'd disappear into the woodwork and leave us in peace.

Sorry it is real ...I have buddies that still can't get benefits years after they filed... I have close friends that serviced in Nam still being screwed with agent orange...so hello... we need to hear about this.

You ever put your life on the line??? I have!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Restricted

What I should have said ...wake up to real life... cause when you will need help when TSHF you will be looking for people like us to help you out!

edit on 21-3-2014 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I'm a vet, I've been evicted from an apartment before, can we have national attention on me too?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I'm a Vet, I've been to Iraq and Afghanistan. Multiple times.

I neither want nor need any special attention. I don't want anyone's pity or charity. I don't want anyone's support. If a place won't let you have a dog, go some where else.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

nighthawk1954

Restricted

What I should have said ...wake up to real life... cause when you will need help when TSHF you will be looking for people like us to help you out!

So you're saying that when TSHTF we should only help people who try to make us dependent on them or try to help us first?
Instead of just helping everyone because it's the right thing to do and we swore an oath to do so? Regardless of whether they appreciate it or not?

We served to serve. Not for special treatment.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Have to agree, there are plenty of vets that have been evicted before.
Seems like they are just pulling the vet "card" out for this one.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

nighthawk1954

Restricted

When it hits the fan I'm prepared for it. Vets aren't the only people around with guns and skills.

Don't go thinking you're indispensable.

Incidentally, I've faced death four times. You aren't unique. While I value your service, I'm sick of hearing about it.
edit on 3/21/2014 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Off-topic douchbaggery comments aside, the entire point of the OP deals with a a dog, that happens to be a service animal, biting a kid.

From what I read the mentioning that the dog is a vet's service animal was used to frame the story contextually. Believe me, I read plenty of sob stories that are blatantly playing the 'vet card' and to me this wasn't one of those. Without this, it could of been a blind guy's dog, an amputee's dog, or a quadriplegic's dog. Stating the backstory gave the article's author a 500 word article (most likely the required length as per the editor's request), rather than a two sentence blurb.

To the point, I am in agreement with the management of the apartment complex. If the animal cannot be controlled it has to go and this by proxy would include the owner if he decides to keep it.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Restricted

It's precisely because of the vets you despise so, that you have the chance to be left in peace.

Frankly your reply makes me sick, it's douchbaggery at it's finest.

Grow some balls and show some respect to the men who have placed their own lives before yours and who have gone to war, some as volunteers, some drafted, to give us the right to discuss and you the right to vomit your verbal diarrhea here on ATS.

Have a nice day.

However, on the topic, it's not right that they use his status as a vet to sensationalise the case.
It belittles the real cases of necessity and hardship suffered by vets.
edit on AM6Sat20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

edit on AM6Sat20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

that dog is no ordinary dog... it is a service dog. In Australia, we have Therapy dogs... and rules that state 'no dogs' allowed do not have any effect on therapy dogs/guide dogs etc.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

nasty attitude.

While they were fighting you slept nice and smug in your bed.
Regardless of the politics of that war or any other, they were up and making sure you and your family got to live the life you have.

Respect doesn't cost anything.

In Australia, all returning service personnel receive a government payment for the rest of their lives, that is if they need it. For the families who have lost their Fathers, they are looked after by the Govt and Legacy.

It ain't perfect, but People do care.

edit on CDT05000000Sat, 22 Mar 2014 05:44:09 -05004409am80 by Thurisaz because: typo

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

They didn't fight for my freedom. They fought for Afghanistan and Iraq. These wars didn't keep me free. They kept me in financial servitude to pay for useless wars.

You may buy the propaganda. I do not.

Incidentally, the last legitimate war we were involved in was WWII. I respect those vets because they didn't go around sniveling about their rights and their wounds.
edit on 3/22/2014 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Restricted

as I said in the previous post:

'regardless of the politics of that or any war'... they served their Country.

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Lipton

you have apparently missed a couple important facts in the story. that is

Hamilton said that the when the incident occurred, the child continued to harass Roam, even after being warned not to.

Roam “jumped, and I pulled the leash back,” Hamilton said of the incident. “The kid didn’t scream, kid didn’t cry, kid didn’t show any blood, didn’t show a rip in his pants.”

In fact, the child apparently gave no indication of having been touched at all by Roam. “So, we went on about our business,” Hamilton said.

www.opposingviews.com...

the kid continued to harass the dog AFTER supposedly being bitten.
so first off it would seem the kid had been and continued to harass the dog. that is cause to be bitten, he was even told to stop but would not. where was his parent at the time?

the kid did not cry or even cry out? no evident tear in his pants? doesn't even sound like the kid was bitten to me. even i flinch, and say something even if it is just ouch if my dog (who has a cataract so is partially blind), accidentally nips me when getting his treat, it's called a reflex action. and he even continued to harass the dog afterwards? how many people do you know who would not even make some sort of acknowledgement, cry, or say something, or even yell and swear at the owner, who was at the other end of the leash, and even continue to harass the dog? yeah i really don't think the kid was bitten at all.

and if the kid was bitten, how come no call to animal control or the cops? just a note dropped off saying the dog or you are gone. no this just sounds like a convenient excuse to toss the guy out. in fact i even have to wonder if it was actually a note from the landlord. is there anyone from Memphis, who can tell me what the legal eviction process is? i know where i was last in North America. there is a form to be filled out and left. then if you don't correct the behavior marked (all sorts of check boxes as to what you have done, plus written particulars), you can be taken to the "landlord/tenant" tribunal for the case to be heard, which takes a few months. THEN if they find against you you have a time period to move. so if the note was indeed from the landlord it sounds like an illegal eviction to me.

so many things wrong with this story, and i don't care veteran or not. first off this goes against laws about "service animals" and "handicapped people", i am sure if there is a real issue they would have to get them involved before they can evict the guy. good luck with no police report or animal control report, or hospital report, of some sort. any of those three things and the guy would have been talking to animal control and or the cops. the whole note thing sounds suspicious and illegal, i am sure there is a proper process for an eviction, not just a note dropped off. not to mention the fact that if the kid was tormenting the dog he got what he deserved if he was actually even bitten.

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 26 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   

I couldn't help it, I saw this one and it was so appropriate, I just had to share it.

I promise I will not post anymore pictures in this thread.

edit on CDT03uWed, 26 Mar 2014 03:35:13 -05003513am84 by Thurisaz because:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join