It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popcorn Time: Hollywood's Worst Nightmare Is Only Just Beginning

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by tallcool1

Do you have a better way to get them to change their practices? These shenanigans have been going on for decades with no impediment. Finally, through digital piracy, a means to shake the stranglehold Hollywood has on this media outlet arrives and you DEFEND these monsters? Like I said in my second post, I understand that piracy is wrong, but this is a good way to force Hollywood to update and provide better services. It worked for the music industry. Why are you fighting it for the video industry?

I wasn't meaning to defend the industries practices, just meaning that the people doing their jobs should get paid. And I do understand your point, it's just that I don't want to sink to the level of those who I claim are wrong, that's all I meant.

My only real point is that just because "they" have no integrity doesn't mean that we should give up on our integrity. The argument that "someone else does something, then I can too" just doesn't work for me.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Soulhacking
reply to post by tallcool1

Your stealing too then when you turn on your tv and receive broadcasts as well. Everyone that owns a tv is a pirate also going by industry logic. do you remember the betamax verdict of the 80s? The industry said it was theft and piracy to record airwaves.

I turn on my TV and receive the broadcasts that I pay for. The ones I don't pay for are blocked and all of the so-called "free" broadcasts get their money from advertising, so yeah. And I don't record the airwaves.

Just offering my opinion regarding my morals. I would feel wrong downloading a pirated movie or song or whatever. If your conscience allows you to do it, it's not for me to judge...

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

KnightLight

Soulhacking
The industry used bribes and influence to get copyright laws in their favor especially the DMCA. I can't believe so many people believe the industry propaganda. Hopefully you will a lawsuit letter one day yourself for believing them.
dietrolldie.com...

What does that have to do with stealing created content. I don't need to believe any propoganda. If I create something I don't want you guys to copy it UNLESS I say you can.

Laws can be changed, but as they stand it is illegal to copy digital data without permission that is copyrighted.
If you create anything in this day and age that can be turned digital it will end up online and you will have no control over it. You might as well go outside and shout at the sun not to come out tomorrow. The world has changed and so has its values with the millennial generation and the information age. We are in a new age of prohibition and media is the new bootleg liquor because our technology has outpaced our archaic copyright laws. Aside from an EMP wiping out the net forever or the MPAA getting their way and making downloading a criminal crime punishable by death downloading will continue. You have no control, thinking you do is exactly like the industry mindset. The genie is out of the bottle. The question you need to ask is "how do I get compensated for my works in this situation?". The MPAA would rather not adapt to new methods that would make them revenue and instead scream at the sun and have new laws made and none of it is going to work.
edit on 3/21/2014 by Soulhacking because: Grammar error.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

GeorgiaGirl
I am always astounded at the number of you who think it is your right to have any digital content you want for free.

Piracy is theft. Period. You can say "everyone is doing it" or "movies are too expensive" or "they made enough money so why do they need mine" all day long, but you are still a thief.

Really..?

I’ll give you a very small example… do you remember “the dark side of the moon by PinkFlod”? It was released on vinyl (stereo) and I bought it.. then in Quadrophonic.. I bought it.. then in Compact Cassette…. I bought it… then in EL Cassette…. Then in CD… then in CD (re-mastered)..then in MiniDisk format.. Then in GOLD layered CD…. Then in DvD DTS format …. Then in various Digital formats… and God knows about what format is going to be available in the future…!

Guess what…!

THE CONTENTS ARE THE SAME AS THE ORIGINAL….How many times do I have to pay for it..? It was a time you could record the whole damn album on the night time radio shows (FM stereo) on a single compact cassette and no one would a lift a finger of piracy for what you did but why is it illegal to do the same now..?

RIAA and the other nefarious organizations use the people as milking cow and they know it that we know it… time to stop these worms.

PS.. forgot to add...

Period.
edit on 21-3-2014 by amkia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The movie and TV industry is like an iron lung company fighting the development of the polio vaccine.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Cabin

- The prices are inflated so high, that only very big channels with a large audience are able to buy the latest content in fast enough. A channel with a smaller target group has to wait a few years until the prices go down enough. Prices should be set according to nations and their average salaries, not one price for all which only the largest channels are able to buy in. At the end it is just a content, something already created and I believe personalising the fees based on nations would earn significantly more for the companies than selling the stuff years later when the movie is not popular anymore or the series was premiered years ago.

-The DVD prices in larger/richer nations are generally significantly lower than in smaller nations due to larger market - you can earn from revenue. For the latest DVD here for example people would have to pay around 30-50 dollars. A lot for watching the movie once/twice, especially considering that the average salary is times below US one. The laws are more complex and with addition to getting by all the legal fees, the market is so small the prices have to be set so that the distributors earn from the higher costs, not revenue. Also it often takes more time for DVD to reach these markets.

-The regional policies often create a situation, where people in certain areas have no access to content. For example the most popular internet streams, like Netflix or Lovefilm, are not available for people from many areas. And well, even these sites, do not have access to all content.

With the globalisation, I hope sooner or later, companies would realise that something needs to change. I hope that this could have some effect on the industry. Maybe some day there would be some global legal site, forgetting all the regional things and everybody has access to the latest content for a reasonable cost (also the salaries of different nations should be counted in). I would have nothing against paying 5-10 dollars a month to see any movie, any series, anything that is not in the cinemas anymore and has premiered already in TV channels.

you are right about prices in other countries alright. one reason a lot of people import movies right from North America. the "region system" is pointless since most countries sell multi-region dvd players. not to mention dvd companies ship "overstock" out around the world, to try to sell it off. but it is not just the price being higher that is the issue. a bigger issue is the fact that you CAN'T GET stuff in other countries, sometimes stuff is never available, this is especially true with music, i can't buy most of my favorite groups wherei am at ANY PRICE. it is just not available at all. with movies and tv shows they might become available but sometimes only several years after it is available everywhere else.

i'll admit i have been guilty of downloading a currant in theater movie awhile back. but here is the thing. it was a movie i had been waiting for, for a couple years, in fact there had been some concern of it being released at all. i had been seeing "coming soon" advertisements where i was and was eagerly awaiting it to come out. then just before it was released all that advertising disappeared, poof gone just like that, it was NEVER shown where i was. but by the time i returned to North America it would be out of theaters and who knows when it would be released on DVD, besides it would be several months before i was even back there. so i found it online and watched it. now when i returned to North America it was out on dvd so i bought a copy. what is wrong with that?

i feel that if something is not easily available for a "fair" price, like being able to go to your local store and buy it without having to search forever to try to find it. or like a movie that is in theaters is not available in your area. then there should be NO PROBLEM with you "downloading it", after all they won't make money off it anyway since i can't buy something that i can't find. if they wanted my money they would make sure it is available to me, by not being readily available they are saying they don't want my money, easy as that.

another example is things like anime, a lot of times you can find it online fan subbed, that is not available in my language from legitimate sources. so why is that a problem to download? yet again the company has not made it available for me in a language i can understand. so yet again they wouldn't be able to sell it to me, so why should they be concerned? and stuff that is actually put out is hard to find and often WAY overpriced, so why should i have to pay so much more than for an equal type thing is, or have to search hard to find it? again if they wanted my money i could find it anywhere at a fair price.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
You know, another thought on this whole thing...if this piracy goes on unchecked and unpunished, then what motivation do the artists have to do movies or make music? Sure, there will be a few that do it "just for the art'...but they all are still going to have to pay the mortgage and buy groceries. All of the better entertainers will just stop. Why put so much energy into something and bust you butt for all that time when you are not going to get a cent for your efforts?

So then there will be this freebie site to download...nothing new ever. Only the old stuff you've already stolen.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The pirate parties are even going mainstream in the EU now.
torrentfreak.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Mamatus
Better hold your wad when it comes to illegal content for now. My buddy just had Comcast shut off his internet..... Now he has to run everything off his phones hotspot....

Thats because you're friend doesn't know what the word "encryption" means.
Or what a "VPN" does.
The people that get caught/throttled deserve it.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

tallcool1
You know, another thought on this whole thing...if this piracy goes on unchecked and unpunished, then what motivation do the artists have to do movies or make music? Sure, there will be a few that do it "just for the art'...but they all are still going to have to pay the mortgage and buy groceries. All of the better entertainers will just stop. Why put so much energy into something and bust you butt for all that time when you are not going to get a cent for your efforts?

So then there will be this freebie site to download...nothing new ever. Only the old stuff you've already stolen.

AKB48. Read and learn what innovation is.
www.sankakucomplex.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

tallcool1

There are ways to make money doing art outside of selling it to people. Musicians for instance can make a living touring from city to city doing concerts. Sponsorships used to be the way that artists made money before this whole industry arose, they could always go back to that.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Mamatus
Better hold your wad when it comes to illegal content for now. My buddy just had Comcast shut off his internet..... Now he has to run everything off his phones hotspot....

1.vpn
2 peerblock
3. block ports 1-1024
4. Change default port from 6881. 6881 is blacklisted and monitored by ISP,NSA,FBI and every alphabet agency in the world.
5. Force and require encryption.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Soulhacking

tallcool1

AKB48. Read and learn what innovation is.

Uh...ok? If digital media allows the artist to still get paid and is able to keep piracy down, then that's great. Young minds, fresh ideas and all. I'm all for new technology.

What I'm against is the stealing thing. If artists aren't paid due to the stealing. Maybe I wasn't very clear about that.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

tallcool1

There are ways to make money doing art outside of selling it to people. Musicians for instance can make a living touring from city to city doing concerts. Sponsorships used to be the way that artists made money before this whole industry arose, they could always go back to that.

There's nothing wrong with touring for money and stuff. They actually still do that, if you weren't aware! I just don't seem to understand why me being against stealing is such a minority opinion nowadays! I don't know why I am arguing against thievery and am losing...

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

"intellectual property" is a legal fiction enforced by State violence. Property is physical and finite; information meets none of that criteria.

If I lend a friend a Beatles CD, and he rips it to his iTunes library before returning it, he didn't take anything from me. The disc doesn't weigh any less when he hands it back.

If you wish to argue that copyright laws encourage the creation of more content, then understand you are simply arguing from effect and not morality. If you wish to go down that road, then, hey, were it not for slavery, then who would have picked the cotton?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Soulhacking

GeorgiaGirl
I am always astounded at the number of you who think it is your right to have any digital content you want for free.

Piracy is theft. Period. You can say "everyone is doing it" or "movies are too expensive" or "they made enough money so why do they need mine" all day long, but you are still a thief.
No its not. Theft and stealing require the original is taken we are dealing with infinite copies. I can't wait till science invents a replicator like from star trek and we start coping food. The food corps will try and say its illegal to use as its piracy to make copies of hamburgers.

don't need to wait, this is already happening with existing technology which is 3D printers. companies were freaking out not too long ago because of people making copies of things like miniatures, models, parts and other stuff like that.

really makes you wonder how much they will scream if "star trek" style replicators came out. forget food, they would be able to copy anything the machine was big enough to produce. almost makes you wonder if this technology is or has been worked on but repressed due to companies freaking out about loosing money.

personally i think the sooner we get that technology the better everyone will be. there would be no need at that point for worrying about loosing money since everyone would be able to produce anything they want or need. why would a song writer be concerned about money from their song, when they don't need to pay for anything themselves. this would allow people to do what they want. just imagine that guy working at McDonalds because he lacks education, but let him free on his own perhaps he might figure out a way to make a warp engine possible. or that girl with a degree but a bad attitude and piercings, tattoos etc, who can't get a job, but could come up with the cure for cancer. the possibilities would be endless. not to mention that it would wipe out poverty. should even be able to stop most war mongering since you wouldn't need the resources someone else had. which is the primary reason for Japan trying to take over the pacific in ww2, and before that parts of Siberia from the Russians. not to mention it is the reason behind China's currant "territorial" disputes with everybody over resources.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

tallcool1

Krazysh0t

tallcool1

There's nothing wrong with touring for money and stuff. They actually still do that, if you weren't aware! I just don't seem to understand why me being against stealing is such a minority opinion nowadays! I don't know why I am arguing against thievery and am losing...

I am very well aware of musicians still touring, those are the guys I have the most respect for. Do you know what else I admire about these musicians? They let anyone record and share their concerts. You can thank the Grateful Dead for bands and practices like that. Another thing about that is that the money is actually going to the people that MATTER, the actual musicians. NOT the scum who sit in a boardroom and dictate what the public should listen to.

The reason why you are losing this argument is because art isn't supposed to be a business, but we've let it become one. We need to get the business world out of the art world, or at the very least, minimize it as much as possible.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

GrassyTroll

"intellectual property" is a legal fiction enforced by State violence. Property is physical and finite; information meets none of that criteria.

If I lend a friend a Beatles CD, and he rips it to his iTunes library before returning it, he didn't take anything from me. The disc doesn't weigh any less when he hands it back.

If you wish to argue that copyright laws encourage the creation of more content, then understand you are simply arguing from effect and not morality. If you wish to go down that road, then, hey, were it not for slavery, then who would have picked the cotton?

Now it has turned into "if you believe taking something you didn't pay for is stealing, you support slavery"...

WTF? So following your example to it's obvious conclusion, an artist should only cut 1 CD and everyone who wants it is entitled to make a copy of the original...it's not stealing after all. The 1 CD that the artist put out doesn't weigh any less. Everyone who contributed to that CD now has to split the 10 bucks from the sale of the 1 CD.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

tallcool1

So, the artist has no responsibility for figuring out how to monetize and protect their property?

What if it was a rancher....would the rancher not have a duty to keep his animals locked up and protected? And if a I had a goat that I let get free...how much complaining should I really do about someone deciding that they were hungry after finding this goat? If that goat were to wander into a road and get hit by passerby, the farmer may actually be liable for damages because of his goat (er, property) not being maintained properly.

No, the onus is on the artist to market their stuff. You can't just set your herd out to graze in open pastures, then complain that a few wolves are getting them. It is the herders duty to protect their investment/property.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

tallcool1

GrassyTroll

Now it has turned into "if you believe taking something you didn't pay for is stealing, you support slavery"...

WTF? So following your example to it's obvious conclusion, an artist should only cut 1 CD and everyone who wants it is entitled to make a copy of the original...it's not stealing after all. The 1 CD that the artist put out doesn't weigh any less. Everyone who contributed to that CD now has to split the 10 bucks from the sale of the 1 CD.
You don't get the way things have changed and will continue too and maybe never will. Artists are getting paid for their work even more so now than ever.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join