It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popcorn Time: Hollywood's Worst Nightmare Is Only Just Beginning

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Krazysh0t
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Maybe you misunderstood my post. I initially stated that piracy is wrong, because on the basic level, it is wrong. Just like stealing is wrong, but a father stealing food to feed his children for the night could be excused out of sympathy. As far as all the rhetoric that media industries spew about digital piracy (software, music, video), I don't buy any of it for a second. I know about the shady tactics that these production companies use to screw over the very artists who are making the content for them to sell. Things like movie companies creating shell companies that operate at a loss then promising a new actor for that movie a percentage of that movie's net income or a record company paying a pittance to its music artists to the point that after the company is done with them, the artist is STILL broke. F those companies, I could care less how much money they lose to piracy.

I just wanted to be clear that if you are going to justify doing something that is ethically wrong, you should at least understand that what you are doing is wrong in most other situations. Just so you know, I have over 120 gigs of music on my HDD. I'll let you decide how I got most of it as I'm pleading the 5th on how I acquired it all.
edit on 21-3-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

I should have removed your name. I just used your post to get to a reply window
edit on 3/21/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: the stupid "window" bug

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

GeorgiaGirl

Soulhacking

GeorgiaGirl
I am always astounded at the number of you who think it is your right to have any digital content you want for free.

Piracy is theft. Period. You can say "everyone is doing it" or "movies are too expensive" or "they made enough money so why do they need mine" all day long, but you are still a thief.
No its not. Theft and stealing require the original is taken we are dealing with infinite copies. I can't wait till science invents a replicator like from star trek and we start coping food. The food corps will try and say its illegal to use as its piracy to make copies of hamburgers.

Um, no, your definition of theft and stealing is wrong. Theft is taking something that doesn't belong to you.

But, hey--whatever helps you live with yourself, right???
How can I take something that becomes infinite? If I steal something it deprives someone of the original they lose it forever etc. I don't have to live with anything. Your trying to what convince me and others I should feel guilty what are you a shill for MPAA?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The very definition of piracy in the digital age is wrong. Copyright is a joke at this point. Downloading something and having some chinese guy making 6,000 dvd copies and selling them on a corner in hong kong are too different things and the industry would have you believe they are one and the same.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Well I guess I'm just a dumb old fashioned guy who believes stealing is stealing. I simply do not understand the logic of either "I can't afford it, so that makes it OK for me to steal" or "they make a lot of money anyway, so it's OK if I steal". You are paying for the combined efforts and talents of writers, actors, directors, grips, promotional costs, etc.

YOU expect to be paid at YOUR place of work, don't you? If you suddenly weren't getting a paycheck anymore, would you keep working? It doesn't matter if you think these people are charging too much for their services, you are paying for their labor! And you have the choice to not go to the movie and it costs you nothing, so you're not being forced into anything.

I just don't understand how some people justify stealing - regardless of how you word it, that's what you are doing.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Soulhacking

GeorgiaGirl

Soulhacking

GeorgiaGirl
I am always astounded at the number of you who think it is your right to have any digital content you want for free.

Piracy is theft. Period. You can say "everyone is doing it" or "movies are too expensive" or "they made enough money so why do they need mine" all day long, but you are still a thief.
No its not. Theft and stealing require the original is taken we are dealing with infinite copies. I can't wait till science invents a replicator like from star trek and we start coping food. The food corps will try and say its illegal to use as its piracy to make copies of hamburgers.

Um, no, your definition of theft and stealing is wrong. Theft is taking something that doesn't belong to you.

How can I take something that becomes infinite? If I steal something it deprives someone of the original they lose it forever etc. I don't have to live with anything. Your trying to what convince me and others I should feel guilty what are you a shill for MPAA?

Someone else in this thread (KnightLight, pg. 1) did a marvelous job explaining the fallacy of your logic, so I see no need to go into it again. Read what he said.

Also, whenever the main argument is that someone else must be a shill--that is clearly the sign that you have nothing to add.

You, sir, are unteachable. Carry on.
edit on 21-3-2014 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Soulhacking

GeorgiaGirl

Soulhacking

GeorgiaGirl

Are you really unable to understand the concept that if you do not pay for something that has a price tag attached, it is stealing? Do you truly not grasp this simple little point? Really? And then you use the stunningly moronic "shill" label...which in reality screams that you have no logical argument.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

You should read this article:

Hol lywood Accounting: How A $19 Million Movie Makes $150 Million... And Still Isn't Profitable

We've written about the wonders of Hollywood accounting before. It's a series of tricks pulled by Hollywood studios to make most of their movies look unprofitable, even when they're making a ton of money. The details can be complex, but a simplified version is that every studio sets up a new "shell" company for each movie -- and that company is specifically designed to lose money. The studio gives that company the production budget (the number you usually see) and then also agrees to pay for marketing and related expenses above and beyond that. Both of those numbers represent (mostly) actual cash outlays from the studio and are reasonable to count as expenses. Then comes the sneaky part: on top of all that, the studios charge the "movie company" a series of fees for other questionable things. Many of these fees involve no real direct expense for the studio, but basically pile a huge expense onto the income statement and ensure that the studio keeps getting all of the movie income -- rather than having to share the profits with key participants -- long after the movie would be considered profitable under regular accounting rules. (bold part added)

So your example of doing work and then at the end of the day not getting a paycheck, already happens in Hollywood. It has been happening LONG before digital piracy was even a thing.

Scott Derrickson talking about getting shafted on The Exorcism of Emily Rose from the same article:

Scott Derrickson (SD): It made $75 [million] domestic and $150 [million] worldwide...

Kevin Smith (KS): Nice. You're a true filmmaker, you know exactly what your movies made everywhere...

SD: Hellllll yeah.

KS: It's a badge of honor.

SD: And to all the young filmmakers listening, I had 5% of the net of that movie. That was in my contract. And it cost $19 million. And it made $150 million worldwide. There's no net. That's how movie math works.

KS: So even you were not above being screwed by the system.

SD: I told my attorney, the next time you're negotiating my net profit for a movie, ask for a ham sandwich instead.

KS: 'Cause you'll get something.

SD: 'Cause I'll get something [laughter] (bold part added)

Seriously, F Hollywood. I feel no sympathy for them on any of this piracy business.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Merlynn
The biggest sources of piracy is in some overseas locations. Places like China and India copy movies and sell in their countries and other countries I've been to like Saudi and UAE. Korea had it's own bootleg going on too. With piracy in other countries where they can't stop it they should leave Americans alone--there is much less piracy going on here.

that's what they want you to think. just like when they were blaming Canada for all the "piracy". you can get many movies even before they are released to theaters many times. so who do you think put it out there? i remember one co-worker got a copy of a new movie off the net just after release to theaters, i was highly amused to see a watermark "property of the academy" all the way through it. so that means that the culprits are the "academy awards" people, and or the movie companies themselves otherwise how can a movie that hasn't even been released from the studio make it onto the net?

but there is something even more troubling when it comes to "pirated movies". i once got a "good deal" on DVD's at a "flea-market". got home and after writing a nasty e-mail to the movie company about stuff that didn't work properly on the disks, and the missing "documentation" you always find inside, (they did look real from the packaging right down to the "painting" on the disks). i figured out they were pirated,after they all had the same problems. so i decided to report it since that was one of the times the movie companies were"freaking out" about how much damage this was causing them, (hey plus i was pissed at getting pirated ones, when i was trying to make sure they weren't). went to the movie company web site, nothing i could find to report pirated materials, i tried several searches on the net, found lots of stuff about how "bad" pirating was, but still no way to report it. so i fired off another e-mail to the company, (never did get a reply). finally i called the police (same day). now THAT was interesting. they pretty much told me that there was nothing they could do about it. that if the went to the place i bought it they would no longer be there, (BS that market is stable and most vendors have been there for years, sure enough that booth was still there every time i went back). all in all they pretty much told me to go away and stop bothering them for such a "petty thing". so it would seem that with all the screaming they do over "pirating" they really don't care unless the movie company finds someone they can make a buck off of.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

GeorgiaGirl

Soulhacking

GeorgiaGirl

Soulhacking

GeorgiaGirl

Someone else in this thread (KnightLight, pg. 1) did a marvelous job explaining the fallacy of your logic, so I see no need to go into it again. Read what he said.

Also, whenever the main argument is that someone else must be a shill--that is clearly the sign that you have nothing to add.

You, sir, are unteachable. Carry on.
edit on 21-3-2014 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)
I'll teach you something right here about the industry.
1. Make a low budget film.
2. Wait for film to get praise.
3. Release copies onto the net on purpose.
4. Log everyone that downloads it and send them a lawsuit letter for $5,000+ in damages or be sued for $1.5m and in a federal court.
5. Collect more in extortion then what the film made at the box office.

torrentfreak.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Oh, OK. They steal, so it's ok for me to be a thief as well! Shoot, I've been wrong all along. Even though I do fail, I try to have more integrity than criminals and other "bad guys" and "evil corporations". What a waste of my life! I should have been a thief all along! Thanks for opening my eyes to my own foolish beliefs about integrity!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Do you have a better way to get them to change their practices? These shenanigans have been going on for decades with no impediment. Finally, through digital piracy, a means to shake the stranglehold Hollywood has on this media outlet arrives and you DEFEND these monsters? Like I said in my second post, I understand that piracy is wrong, but this is a good way to force Hollywood to update and provide better services. It worked for the music industry. Why are you fighting it for the video industry?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Your stealing too then when you turn on your tv and receive broadcasts as well. Everyone that owns a tv is a pirate also going by industry logic. do you remember the betamax verdict of the 80s? The industry said it was theft and piracy to record airwaves.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Krazysh0t
I know piracy is wrong, but I also like to support things that unlock monopolistic corporate holds on various industries. The music industry got rocked by Napster and all the programs that followed it, it's time for Hollywood to feel this same punishment. The only problem I see with this is that as piracy starts to cut into Hollywood's profits, they will take less and less risks and rely on the guaranteed moneymaker movies.

You do realize that Hollywood never taxes because they use creative accounting.Every film lose money no matter how much it makes.

They are defrauding us by not paying taxes.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

GeorgiaGirl

And you forgot hollywood does not pay taxes no matter how much money they make.Explain that.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

championoftruth

Krazysh0t
I know piracy is wrong, but I also like to support things that unlock monopolistic corporate holds on various industries. The music industry got rocked by Napster and all the programs that followed it, it's time for Hollywood to feel this same punishment. The only problem I see with this is that as piracy starts to cut into Hollywood's profits, they will take less and less risks and rely on the guaranteed moneymaker movies.

You do realize that Hollywood never taxes because they use creative accounting.Every film lose money no matter how much it makes.

They are defrauding us by not paying taxes.

Hey guy, read the rest of the thread before you respond. That way you'd know that I'm already aware of what you just said since I posted actual links to your claims already.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The industry used bribes and influence to get copyright laws in their favor especially the DMCA. I can't believe so many people believe the industry propaganda. Hopefully you will a lawsuit letter one day yourself for believing them.
dietrolldie.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Just think, with the technology we have these days, the ads that scroll across the bottom of the movie could be tailored to each viewer based on their activity on the net.

For example, if you happen to be in the market for a gorilla suit and have searched the web trying to find the right one, a banner could scroll across the screen during the movie advertising "XYZ Gorilla suits".

If I am trying to find a fleece jacket and have searched for one, the banner could reflect that as well.

Even if we watch the same flick, the ads would be relevant to each viewer and best of all, the movie would be free.

ETA: Hurry! Let's get the rights to this idea and try to pitch it to Hollywood. Bet they would love it.

edit on 21-3-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-3-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
There is thing called xbmc that we use. I don't feel guilty because I pay for a subscription service that shows all the programs anyway I just prefer to watch them in bulk. It's a streaming service and you get plug ons.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Soulhacking
The industry used bribes and influence to get copyright laws in their favor especially the DMCA. I can't believe so many people believe the industry propaganda. Hopefully you will a lawsuit letter one day yourself for believing them.
dietrolldie.com...

What does that have to do with stealing created content. I don't need to believe any propoganda. If I create something I don't want you guys to copy it UNLESS I say you can.

Laws can be changed, but as they stand it is illegal to copy digital data without permission that is copyrighted.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

sheepslayer247

For example, if you happen to be in the market for a gorilla suit and have searched the web trying to find the right one, a banner could scroll across the screen during the movie advertising "XYZ Gorilla suits".

what, are you working for the NSA?

I mean, uh...me? in the market for a gorilla suit? crazy talk, i tell ya.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join