It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think smoking cessation methods are there to keep you smoking

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

One of my favorite quotes is this gem from Mark Twain:

“Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.”

How many of us can identify with that?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

AzureSky
I agree with almost all of that.

I think the ones that give you nicotine (patch, gum, etc), just extend your withdrawal symptoms. I tried the patch once before and it was THE WORST time ever.

Yup, prolonged torture.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

chiefsmom
The longest time I was able to quit, was by going cold turkey. I made it 6 months, but that was back when you could still smoke in a bar, and I actually still went to them, so that didn't work out so well.

It's been on my mind for the last 2 months, to try again. Especially with a $1000.00 bonus promised from work

Two things though.
Did you get ornery?

Well... it actually got a bit worse than that. After I quit, it actually turned out that I was suffering from some kind of chemical/hormonal imbalance that was covered up by the regular doses of nicotine -- so all of a sudden, I started getting all the symptoms of menopause (night sweats, irritability, sudden bouts of depression and crying, joint aches, etc., etc.). No nicotine cravings, though. ;o) It took me a few months and the help of my naturopathic doctor to get a grip on these symptoms, but I'm fine now.

How did you handle the oral fixation? Last time I always had raw veggies to munch on.

I didn't have any problems with that. On the contrary, I'd experienced a real peace of mind, same when I stopped smoking previously. Because that nervousness that you alleviate with smoking actually COMES FROM smoking. It's the nicotine withdrawal, which is then made better by adding more nicotine. So without cigarettes, I don't HAVE that feeling that I need to keep my hands (and mouth) busy at all times.

And this may be too personal, but did you notice a certain "drive" come back, or become stronger? Nobody ever talks about that, but it seems to happen when you quit.

Yes, to a degree. Not in the beginning, because I had too much on my hands with my crazy symptoms (it got so bad, I thought I might be bipolar), but later on.
edit on 21-3-2014 by sylvie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

AzureSky

chiefsmom

And this may be too personal, but did you notice a certain "drive" come back, or become stronger? Nobody ever talks about that, but it seems to happen when you quit.

Just gunna answer because it applies

Absolutely! When i quit i got this drive, it might be different for others. I've been really heavy into Math, science and cosmology/astronomy) and just space in general. Learning c++ as well, learned the basics of Java and have an entire game design course to go through (at my own speed, at home thing in my free time).

Been watching Through the Wormhole and really excited about the remake of COSMOS. I always had an interest in these things but no drive to actually learn them.

edit on 21/3/14 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

I think Chiefsmom was actually talking about sex.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

windword
reply to post by sylvie

I quit smoking early in this past December. I ran out of rolling tobacco and rolling papers the night before and vowed NOT to replace them. But, I did invest in a vapor pen. It saved my life over the Christmas holidays and various get togethers, I'll tell you that! Now, I hardly even remember to "vape", or that I own a pen!

Yesterday, I had a spectacular victory of a life time! I didn't have my pen with me, and for some stupid reason, decided to reward myself with a cigarette. So, I bought a pack of my old brand, ripped open the pack and took a couple of luxurious puffs while stopped at a red light in the car, and was overcome with dizzyness! HAHA!

I managed to choke down the rest of the cigarette during the long drive home. When I got home, I washed up and changed my cloths but I couldn't get the smell of cigarette "exhaust" out of my nose! Disgusted, and remembering why I hated cigarettes, and their dark smokey allure, I took the rest of the new pack, I had just bought, crumpled them up and flushed them down the toilet!

I did need my vape pen this morning though! LOL!

EDIT TO ADD: I do notice that a lot people that vape, like to display their ability to (not) "smoke" in public by flaunting large clouds of vapor about in public places as if this was 1950 and they have their old cigarette habits back. This appears, to me to be an affront to, and they appear to be rebelling against, the modern anti smoking social mores prevalent in today's collective minds.

I think that's a bad thing for people concerned about "vaping" rights.

edit on 21-3-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

Good for you! I always got sucked back in through that "one" cigarette, so I won't even try. My hubby and I tried vaping for a while, but it just doesn't give you the same satisfaction as a cigarette, plus we found out the hard way that, no, they will NOT let you vape on planes, trains, and in airports. (Which I think is stupid.) Then why even do it?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Trying to give up cigarettes is one of the hardest to do, IMO. I think it is a life time battle.

I had a friend who had not smoked in 15 yrs and got the overwhelming urge. She went to the convenient store and bought $50 worth of junk food. I don't know if that was a good trade off, but it worked for that night.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

generik
i don't think there is a conspiracy to keep you smoking by the smoking cessation companies. they have no need to do that. almost every x-smoker i know has the same tale. the fact that no matter how much time goes by they are always in danger of smoking again due to the cravings they always have. this includes one x-smoker who has been smoke free close to FIFTY YEARS now. she still has to fight the cravings that she gets every day. i have had friends finally give up and start smoking at even 5 to 10 years after quitting since they just can't cope with the cravings anymore. one person even tried to commit suicide after several years smoke free from the stress created by the constant cravings she suffered. another friend gained over 20lbs from the sunflower seeds he used as a crutch to try to stay smoke free, (total health food nut), finally gave up after 5 years and started smoking again and since he cut out the sunflower seeds lost the weight that had been driving him crazy, along with the cravings. seems that once you are hooked you are never free. and the more you quit the harder it is to quit the next time, (i know that one from myself as well as others).

I had that before, but not this time. I can sit in a room full of smokers and, aside from the stink, aren't bothered at all, nor do I feel any cravings.

i fly long distance and go bonkers, don't get between me and a place i can smoke after landing, because i will run you over, along with every other smoker on the flight. at that point all i can really think of is getting a couple cigarettes in me, not to mention by that time my "fuse" is so short i can be set off rather easily.

GOD, I remember those days! Same thing here, I would have knocked anyone out of the way. Always had to go outside during my son's school events (walk all the way to the car and smoke with the windows closed, because of the no-smoking policies on school grounds). Before we bought our own house and decided we'd only smoke in the garage, we smoked inside in our rental apartment. I still cringe thinking of how much smoke we exposed our son to. I'm so glad I'm done with all that.

if you want a smoking conspiracy try the one about companies adding extra nicotine to their products to "super hook" you. this has to be true since when i run out Canadian or American purchased smokes i suddenly need 1.5-2 cigarettes right after each other in my normal smoking pattern, where with my North American ones i need 1 cigarette.

Interesting.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

toastyr
I was a heavy smoker for over 20 years, tried quitting many times during that period too. It's a very difficult process, but I've found a couple of things that helped me to quit easily and stay off for almost 4 years now. I don't get any temptations at all either. I live in CO so access to the herb is easy as I use it for pain, nausea etc..... Enough on that.

I also found that vitamin C is great at breaking addictions as well, even alcohol, heroin and what not. I'm sure if anyone is interested, a search will point you in the right direction. Here is one link for a vitamin C spray.

Vitamin C Spray

One smoking cessation tactic you should try is ascorbic acid spray, which is simply powdered vitamin C mixed with water in a spray bottle. Research shows this technique can reduce the cravings of cigarettes and help reduce or eliminate the smoking habit.

All you need is a small spray/mister bottle, which can be found in most drug stores or purchased from pharmacists, filled with a water and powdered vitamin C solution. Regularly throughout the day, especially when cigarette cravings occur, patients will discharge a couple of squirts into their mouth and throat. Many of those I interviewed said it had helped them totally quit smoking or substantially reduce the number of cigarettes they smoked daily.

Read more: www.drdavidwilliams.com...

Excellent tip! Even though I don't have tobacco cravings now, I'll try this because a) I think I'm way Vitamin C deficient, and hate using chewable tablets, etc., and b) it might be good for sugar cravings too.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
A couple of years ago I finally decided to try to quit again - my dogs were my reason. I had read that long nosed dogs often would get nasal cancer from secondhand smoke. The only way I was able to quit after 20+ years of smoking was Chantix - I had tried about every other method (including cold turkey with no help). Chantix worked pretty well. The pills gave me crazy dreams and I was a bear for a few weeks but I'm much much better off now.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GMan420

Chantix has mixed reviews and I want to reiterate that it may not be safe for everyone. A friend of mine who I worked for at the time almost killed himself and by that I mean he tried. Luckily for his kids he is still alive. Chantix can really mess up your ability to feel good for a little while. It's playing on important transmitter sites. He already had issues, and I am no doctor, but just wanted to put that out there.
edit on 21-3-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by KnightLight

I didn't mean to imply that it was right for everyone, just that it was what worked for me. For some people, it is definitely not the route to take. I did have some funky thoughts while I was on it. I knew it was literally changing the way my brain worked, so that made me a little freaked out while I was on it, but once I was off it everything went back to "normal" for me (except for the smoking).

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
its a well know fact of addiction
if you almost quit, sooner or later your consumption will increase
its the starvation reflex
people are said to diet them selves up in weight after losing some weight and then relaxing
suddenly consumption increases
same with smoking

i used brainwave entrainment on a digital mix of a stop smoking hypnosis tape, then laser accupuncture
bin 6 and one half happy years with out a drag

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

Cold Turkey! That's how I did it. I made the decision I didn't want to smoke anymore. I broke the associations with smoking like drinking and smoking, driving and smoking, coffee break and a smoke, big meal then a smoke etc... you get the picture. In their place make new habits. The nicotine withdrawl won't last more than a couple of days, medically its 72 hrs and it really isn't bad, though I felt anxious a bit. It helps to have support but YOU MUST WANT TO QUIT. That's the secret to quitting. If you don't want to, you won't.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Every anti smoking method that includes nicotine is a sure fire way to keep you smoking.

It's a game they play. Tobacco companies, in conjunction with big pharma have been robbing smokers of their health and dollars for years now with these scams.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

I also quit smoking cold turkey. I think that taking baby steps doesn't work. I kind of equate it to ripping off a band-aid. If you rip it off slow then you feel every sensation, but if you rip it off fast, then you won't feel as much pain. And I agree with you, all those smoking-cessation products are a business that keeps you hooked. I also think that it's TPTB that tries to keep us celebrating our mediocrity, and to keep us from achieving our best. After all, you can't be powerful unless you have a majority that's weak.

edit on bFri, 21 Mar 2014 17:36:57 -0500pm79America/Chicago3pmFriday21America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I think anyone who 'needs' something to help them quit doesn't really want to quit. I know it sounds harsh but if you really really want to quit then you just do it. Its that simple, you take the stress , you adjust your life and you just quit.

People who are constantly looking for something to help them quit don't want to quit at all , they just like the idea of quitting. You have to man up and just do it!

I quit several years ago now and for 3 years i didn't smoke anything, but now if i got to a party where im drinking (which is rare these days) i might smoke a few. Ive quit the habit but am still a very occasional user. I smoked a few the other night when i went out drinking and before that i had some on new years eve. I think i might get an eCig next time i got out drinking though just because its not so damaging.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

i think you aren't reading

any which way you can, any which way you can

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I'm kinda afraid to add my experience to this thread, as it doesn't seem real friendly to the concept of using e-cigs to get off the tobacco. But I do think it is a misnomer to say that it is just, or only, the 'nicotine' that is the dangerous part of tobacco smoking, and that kicking the 'nicotine' is the hard part of quitting.

Nicotine by itself is slightly addictive, but other components of tobacco, especially chemicals that act as monoamine oxidase Inhibitors, greatly increase that addictive property.

An e-cig may (or may not - your choice) include nicotine, but does not include any of the other compounds that make tobacco so addictive. That does make it a viable choice, especially for those that cannot handle the other options like Chantix, and are totally unbearable to be around during their withdrawal from tobacco. For a lot of people, they do work.

It's unfair to call it a 'cop-out', if someone just can't quit the habit, but can get off tobacco using e-cigs, then they are still improving their health and the health of others around them.

It's no wonder Big Tobacco is trying to buy up e-cig companies as fast as they can - and will probably try their best to make them ineffective, and squash the smaller competitors in the process. Most of their offerings in the cig-a-likes are barely effective in helping kick the habit. (FYI, for a conspiracy, the largest British tobacco manufacturer bought the original patent-holder for the first e-cigs [Runyan]...and their first action was to file patent-infringement lawsuits against the largest e-cig manufacturers!!! WTF!!!!!)

For those that think the 'vapor' is just as bad as the SMOKE, the brainwashing is having an effect. Of COURSE the AMA and the FDA and Big Tobacco want us to get that impression. Kill the David that is trying to strike down their Goliath cash cow. The 'vapor' is mostly propylene glycol, the same chemical that is used in fog machines, and in sanitizing sprays in hospitals and other public places.

I was a heavy smoker for 37 years, up to two-packs-a-day. I tried the patches (barely effective, and lasted two weeks the three times I tried it), tried Chantix (reacted with my other meds and made me suicidal and sleepless), and tried cold turkey so many times, I just resigned to being stuck with it. But I got in trouble for smkoing in a company car, and tried an e-cig to get thru an 8-hour drive, its been a year since then and I haven't even considered tobacco. I met someone that I told about them 9 months ago last week, and they flat-out told me I saved the life of their wife, who was beginning to become debilitated with COPD, and just couldn't quit until he told her my story. He was estatic that they could go walking together again.

Yes, you DO get your health back, your lungs DO clear, and you (and your clothes and car and house, etc.) won't smell like a dead sewer rat anymore. The effect off the vapor is miniscule compared to tobacco smoke, so its not like trading a drink of everclear for vodka, its more like switching from everclear to unsweetened tea.

Don't take e-cigs off the list of options because it 'isn't quitting', is all I am saying, because they are working for millions. But word of warning, don't accept the cheap cig-a-likes in the quickie-mart as a representation of how they work, there are better options that will give you a much better chance of switching to something far less harmful than the tobacco if you look for them.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I quit last year for 3 weeks with the help of patches for the first few days but then one night i forgot to take the patch off and had a horrible vivid nightmare involving my kids so im put off using them alltogether now. I felt so much better when i quit i wasnt coughing up disgusting stuff anymore and had alot more energy, working out was so much easier but then i started again now im finding it hard to quit again i might try cold turkey, for me quitting smoking is hard because i like smoking and the whole action of having something in my hand and puffing on it that relaxes me and breaking that habit is what is hard for me, its not even the actual cigarettes i want, i worked that out hen quitting, i brought 3 packets in the weeks i did quit had about half a cigarette out of each found it tasted yuck then threw them in the bin such a waste of money and then to start again! i suck at breaking addictions! Its been in my mind the last couple of weeks to quit again though, if i dont atleast try then i wont succeed right!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join