It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy database tracks civilians' parking tickets, fender-benders, raising fears of domestic spying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Navy database tracks civilians' parking tickets, fender-benders, raising fears of domestic spying

Link

Ok folks, so why is the US military using the LinX system that is designed for LEO's? Is the US military our law enforcement in this country or is it our local sherriffs?

LinX is a national information-sharing hub for federal, state and local law enforcement agencies. It is run by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, raising concerns among some military law experts that putting such detailed data about ordinary citizens in the hands of military officials crosses the line that generally prohibits the armed forces from conducting civilian law enforcement operations.

This is nothing more than another form of Domestic Spying.

Why LinX wound up in the NCIS, a military law enforcement agency, is not clear. Current NCIS officials could not explain the reasoning, other than to say it grew out of the department's need for access to law enforcement records relevant to criminal investigations.

Why do they need access to all of this information? There is NO reason for the military to have access to these records. More than 1,300 agencies participate, including The FBI and other Department of Justice divisions, the Department of Homeland Security and the Pentagon. Police departments along both coasts and in Texas, New Mexico, Alaska and Hawaii are in LinX. The coast...remember, you have no rights 100 miles from any coast in the US.

A country that is spying on itself and cannot stop 2 kids from bombing a major sporting event even with warning from foreign nationals is one that is scared of what it is becoming and trying to learn how it can further control its citizens.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

matafuchs
A country that is spying on itself and cannot stop 2 kids from bombing a major sporting event even with warning from foreign nationals is one that is scared of what it is becoming and trying to learn how it can further control its citizens.

That's the punch line that nobody seems to get. All the spying in the world under the largest and most invasive police state possible cannot do anything to prevent any of the incidents it is in place to prevent.

Which begs the question: what is it all really for?

I wonder how many real criminals were rounded up and real crimes prevented by the Stasi. My guess is very few if any.

But how many bureaucratic crimes were prevented and how many state defined "criminals" were rounded up? Nearly all of them.

No police state can stop a kid from blowing up a bomb in a populated place. What a police state can do is round up your family and lock them away for a kid tweeting out something the state doesnt like.

ETA: Not only is preventing real crime not possible there is nothing to gain from doing it. There is absolutely nothing to gain for a state to prevent crime. Every committed crime however give the state greater leeway in what measures are instituted to theoretically prevent crime.

I gain nothing by stopping a bombing. After the bombing I can do whatever I want as long as tell you it's to prevent future bombings and the people will love me for putting cameras in their grandmothers toilet and turning on their childs webcam.
edit on 21-3-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by matafuchs

We need to get Leroy Jethro Gibbs on the case ASAP...

On a serious note, although I am very aware of and *very* against the surveillance state we find ourselves in, I can actually see why NCIS might have a legitimate need for access to this.

I'm sure there are many crimes that are perpetrated against navy personnel by non-military personnel or committed by Navy personnel in "cahoots" with civilians, therefore their need to be able to effectively investigate would be vastly improved by not having to run these requests thru a civilian law enforcement agency.

Now - as to whether or not such a system should even exist, and/or be shared with non-civilian law enforcement is a legitimate question, but I virtually guarantee that particular horse left the barn long ago...

Revolution or get used to it seem to be the only valid choices these days.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The government agencies get all the best spying stuff and they have the law and power behind them. Of course, the average citizen is a horrible snoop or peeping Tom at best, but you're most certainly a criminal when you use inferior technology to spy on anyone, esp. them.

But that is the big problem in my opinion, the laws are against the citizen and the tech available to them is primitive in comparison. Who can watching the watchers? Even if you did a legal investigation, they'd be after you and will put you in your place just for snooping in on their business. You would be lucky to not get accidented to death if you're probing into government corruption as an average citizen.

If they evened out the playing field and allowed "Joe and Jane" citizen access to the same data and tools they have, it wouldn't help our personal privacy, but might provide some counter measures or some government restraint do to an intelligence style of mutually assured destruction.

Wait, what I'm I saying? That there is terrorist talk! I better shut up now.

edit on 21-3-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
My guess without digging into your info is...."fusion centers". When I was a cop we could call over the fusion center which was basically a mass headquarters that combined leo and military and everything else you can think of...its just like in the movies with a room full of tvs with every news channel on and computers....mixed with civilians. The reason they came about...or were advertised how they came about was the lack of sharing of information. For example one of the alleged hijackers of 9-11 had been pulled over for speeding. I think he had a mass amount of coupons in his car....at the time the cop thought nothing more than that is weird. Later it turned out to be coupon fraud. The intel guy would have known that the large amounts of coupons were something terrorists were doing but the LEO thought nothing of it.

Sounds ok right? Wrong....the issue is where we draw the line. If I wanted to right now....and I mean right now this very minute...I could find something on every single person in the united states to arrest them for. Every person. There are so many laws you dont even know you are breaking it.

An example of 2 city ordinances I have seen that are still on the books...in several cities...1) if you spit on the sidewalk its an offense...2) if you are a man and woman living together but not married. These are old laws that remain on the books in several cities. Although they are only city ordinances...id wager close to 100% of ats at one time has broken these laws.

Why does this matter? I have seen when two sheriffs run for office....the one that wins remembers every single person that didnt support him/her. Imagine now on a larger scale you are a fan of a certain politician..and very vocal...and your candidate loses. How hard would it really be to find a crime on you? Or to take an email you wrote out of context? Then itll be thrown in the media as if that person was soooo bad....no one will know but that persons close friends, and they will be scared to stand up because of what they just saw. The LEO community will then say see.....see how good this is...we found this guy was doing something bad!!!!

Ive actually considered writing a book on laws we all break without even knowing it. Here is one more example...lets say they install some kind of gps into your car which measures your speed and location....then later they hit you with 300 counts of speeding...because hey..we have all sped at least once...you tend to slow down after being pulled over or getting a ticket...at least for a year...what if they dont give you a ticket at once..and hit you with many violations....you lose your license...and cant drive to work....you lose your job. What an easy way to take out any opposition and it would all be perfectly legal.

America is a sinking ship...jump while you can..there is no fixing it.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I'm not surprised and its about time. This is to illustrate a bigger problem such as the judicial system and law enforcement being inefficient at what they are supposed to be doing. When they track these tickets, citations and arrests, it creates a paper trail which a computer database can track. They can then cross reference these things, for instance, with the actual time it takes to actually resolve them. What's the point of writing someone a handful of tickets if that person never pays? So who's enforcing the rules? What if they pay but are a constant reoffender? Why are they doing that? What if its an innocent person being harassed by the same jerk cop? What if the court is avoiding certain cases? What if the court is handing out different punishments for the same crime based on gender, race, religion, or some other thing? The system will flag these things for further investigation.
Plus in a backhanded sort of way, its going to paint a picture of psychopaths and sociopaths within the system. This is key to the future whether you know it or not. Many an empire were dismantled by them.

In the future, the entire justice system in the US is going to get one huge rectal exam. I can't wait.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

This is nothing more than another form of Domestic Spying.
reply to post by matafuchs

With all due respect...this is a WAY bigger deal than just having intelligence agencies spying on everything you do or say....as if that wasn't bad enough. This is far more disturbing.

As you rightly asked...why does the US Navy need to have access to these records? The answer is they don't. Nor do I suspect that they have any legal right to access them. But as we all know....the law means absolutely nothing anymore.

Given the level of ever increasing secrecy in the US....do you honestly believe that this is the only branch of the military that is accessing your personal data? Do you believe that this is the only data that the Navy has access to?

The point is....we have NO IDEA.

The coast...remember, you have no rights 100 miles from any coast in the US.

This cannot be understated in my opinion. It puts most major US cities in a Constitution "free" zone...entire states as well....Florida is a prime example. When this was announced I expected Americans to be out in the streets with pitchforks and torches...alas...nobody seemed to care.

For any that are interested...here is a link to a map of these Constitution free zones.

MAP...HERE

edit on 21America/Chicagopm212014-03-21T12:02:20-05:00pmFriday03 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Navy database tracks civilians' parking tickets, fender-benders, CONFIRMING fears of domestic spying

hey OP….cool thread. I fixed your title though

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
My question to all of this is why? Why the elaborate network? I can understand and accept DHS and its roots. 9/11 was an intel disaster. We knew it was coming. There were warnings and there were signs but not the correct protocol in place to prevent. It was not allowed to happen but it caught us off guard. At that time the Alphabet agencies thought it was not truly possible and when you research it, infighting and pissing contests led to 3000 lives lost. Very sad.

I feel that EVERY person here on a VISA or comes from another country should be reviewed and in some cases monitored. I mean, they want to know if I had a ticket but let known terrorists visit the White House. WTF is wrong with this picture. Seriously.

It is also past blaming the older administrations as that is history. It happened. We cannot change what Clinton or W did. We can however stop the madness now and the total erosion of our rights. PPACA was the end game that gave the government full access to ALL of you information. Now they have criminal, health and finances on anyone at anytime with no warrants. What is worse is in most cases you GAVE it to them when they asked because many of you trusted change. Never trust someone who wants change...trust someone who want to make better what you currently have. Enhance not submit.

top topics

join