It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How else can America be globally embarrassed?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
America has become the laughing stock of the world. Regardless of politucal ideaology, globally we are seen as a joke. We have lost all legitimacey with our allies and enemies. When will it stop? How else can we be embarrassed nationally and on the world stage? Is this what three inactionable years as a congressman and community organizer gets us? Perhaps a reflection and education on previous Leaders of the free world and their natioanl and foreign poilcy is needed. While no one has been perfect their previous experience certainly did not veil there eyes to how the world operates. Here are a few quotes to drive frustration...

"speak softly, and carry a big stick" -Pres. Theodore Roosevelt (attributed to an African proverb)

"Domestic policy can only defeat us; foreign policy can kill us." -Pres. John F. Kennedy

"No foreign policy - no matter how ingenious - has any chance of success if it is born in the minds of a few and carried in the hearts of none." -Hon. Henry A Kissinger, Sec. of State

“Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations...entangling alliances with none” -Pres. Thomas Jefferson

“When the president during the campaign said he was against nation building, I didn't realize he meant our nation.” -Al Franken, Sen.

“Europeans have always thought of U.S. presidents as either naive, as they did with Jimmy Carter, or as cowboys, as they did with Lyndon Johnson, and held them in contempt in either case.” -George Friedman, Poli Sci

"When I meet with world leaders, what's striking -- whether it's in Europe or here in Asia..." -Pres. Barrack Obama (mistakenly referring to Hawaii as Asia while holding a press conference outside Honolulu, Nov. 16, 2011)

“Where does America stand? Indeed that is the question of the moment." -Hon. Condoleezza Rice, Sec. of State

“President Obama has thrown allies like Israel under the bus, even as he has relaxed sanctions on Castro’s Cuba. He abandoned our friends in Poland by walking away from our missile defense commitments, but is eager to give Russia’s President Putin the flexibility he desires, after the election. Under my administration, our friends will see more loyalty, and Mr. Putin will see a little less flexibility and more backbone.” -Mitt Romney, Pres. Candidate

"If we do not have the strength or vision to lead, then other powers will take our place, pulling history in a very different direction." - Mitt Romney, Pres. Candidate

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by bkfd54

I agree that foreign policy is a legitimate concern for us but is it really necessary that we steer history the way we want it to go? Is it necessary to police the globe?

I say live and let live. If any enemy comes knocking we'll put up our dukes and give them what for but until then we should just stay out of other people's business until it becomes totally necessary (ie a Holocaust-esque event).

Just my opinion though.

Kallisti

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
We are falling apart as we know it.
I bet Putin is laughing at us right now, he knows we have a weak President... Obama is the biggest joke this country has ever made. We just sent $1 Billion dollars worth of tax money over to Ukraine, while there are vets who haven't gotten promised veterans. Makes me feel great I'm sending my hard earned money over seas.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I live in a developing country, and most people are mainly focused on feeding themselves, most would jump at the chance to immigrate to the U.S.

I, however, agree that US Foreign Policy has been hijacked by a rogue faction.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by bkfd54

"When I meet with world leaders, what's striking -- whether it's in Europe or here in Asia..." -Pres. Barrack Obama (mistakenly referring to Hawaii as Asia while holding a press conference outside Honolulu, Nov. 16, 2011)

Yes we are a laughing stock without any credibility. Because US foreign policy is being run by people with the emotional responses of children.

Who else expects people to believe the War on Terror?

Who thinks invading nations is done on Humanitarian Grounds?

Who believes its reasonable that leader after leader of foreign countries simply, "Must go"?

We're a travesty and seem to be the only ones that don't know that. The rest of the world is laughing their ass off.

They better watch out, they may be next.

(Language Disclaimer: If you can't take Georges heat, stay out of his kitchen.)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CagliostroTheGreat

I agree 100% which is why I started with Teddy's quote. Unfortunately, we have become naive to the ways of the world in our effort to spread or facilitate democracy.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DickyDubs

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!! As a VFW and current member of MilRes I TOTALLY AGREE and unfortunately, nationally, we have forgotten. We can't even get people to remove there hats during the national anthem...UGH!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

bkfd54
reply to post by CagliostroTheGreat

I agree 100% which is why I started with Teddy's quote. Unfortunately, we have become naive to the ways of the world in our effort to spread or facilitate democracy.

really...well obviously you are a geo-political expert, much more insightful and knowledgeable than our, how did you put it, "community organizer president"...please share with us your wisdom on how to handle the "spreading of democracy" to the rest of the world.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Well, lets see...

Before Obama our foreign policy was "Kill, Kill, Kill!!!!"

With Obama it started out as "Kill, Kill, Kill!!!" and now has become trying to talk everyone to death.

I'm thinking the rest of the world would respect us most if we just kept our hands to ourselves.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
By starting more threads like this?

Seems to me that was a whole lot of regurgitated, disjointed, rambling verbiage just to try to say, "I blame Obama for everything."

edit on 3/21/2014 by ~Lucidity because: hate was too strong a word. maybe.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
There is nothing within reason that could have been done to stop Putin no matter who was in the Whitehouse. Crimea houses Russia strategically critical warm water naval port. When Ukraine became unstable Putin moved to protect that asset. If you think Romney, McCain or Vin Diesel could have prevented this you are dangerously naïve. The world today is a very, very different place than it was back in Teddy Roosevelt's day. Back then we could bully countries into doing our bidding and the stakes were comparatively low. We were economically strong and able to weather most any crisis. Today we are circling the drain. Do you have any idea how devastating a new Cold War (let alone a hot, nuclear war) would be? It's really easy for all these arm-chair President's to say how bad the situation is and blame it on Obama, but show me one legitimate alternative that would have prevented this. There are none.

link   

edit on 21-3-2014 by Splodge because: i see this is a more subjective thread than I'd assumed. Carry on.

link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Actually I posited a question and it went like this...."Is this what three inactionable years as a congressman and community organizer gets us?"

While you seem to be passionate to critiscm of our current administration, which is ok, you cant escape the fact that we have become the laughing stock of the world with both our national and foreign policies. As far as spreading democracy...much like our own revolution it should be precipitated from within and not imparted. I have spoken with regular citizens in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Kosovo, Poland, Japan, Germany, Isreal, England and Indonesia just to name a few and their view of us is much the same...While most nations show pride, we stand on a soap box, we are pompus and ignorant and dont care, truly, about the deomcracy or freedom of another nation unless it is our personal interest. Is that the impression you want people to have?

A stranger collapses in front of you. Do you rush to their aid because you have a personal vested financial, political or other interest or because you simply value their life as much as your own?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Montana

No argument from me. Again, I direct to Teddy's quote. We saw that with most previous administrations...arguably less so with Regan and Clinton.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by bkfd54

I guess I at least- and possibly others- are confused as to why you think this is a new development. The "Ugly American" has been the world picture of US citizens since way before Obama, and before GW, and before Bill, and before.... etc etc etc.

When I was visiting Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa on a five year tour with my uncle Sam in the 80's I watched people making fun of Reagan's foreign policy. (Remember 'Ronnie Raygun' ?)

I don't think US foreign policy has gotten any worse recently.

Heck, I don't see where it has changed other than cosmetically.

It is still " give us what we want or we will take it anyway. "

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Montana

That's not Obama, that's ideology. Research it and you will find in western nations, conservative governments kill and left wing governments talk and set up committees.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Splodge

Research, hell. I've lived it.

They all kill. It's easier than talking things out.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Does not a cosmetic change impact perception? BTW, thoroughly enjoyed serving on AD in the 80's and 90's.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Agree!!!! BOOM!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

~Lucidity
By starting more threads like this?

Seems to me that was a whole lot of regurgitated, disjointed, rambling verbiage just to try to say, "I blame Obama for everything."

edit on 3/21/2014 by ~Lucidity because: hate was too strong a word. maybe.

It is a bit better than blaming Bush for it.
They are still doing that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join